Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

I saw Surfer Blood last week and can confirm that the singer didn't punch any women during the set, if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

He threaten you not to tell anyone, right?
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Mikal Cronin's album is fucking awesome. We've known this for a while but I think it will only become more apparent with time.

Jonwayne's newest mixtape is some chill, good hip hop.

Listening to Kanye's album while driving into Vegas is good. WHEN YOU POPPED YOUR FIRST MOLLEHHHH

Chris, I can set you up with an anonymous hotline number if you feel like you're ever being made to do or say anything you don't want to as an audience member and don't see a way out. There are audience members worldwide who don't even realize that they're in an abusive relationship with live performers, or who don't realize that they don't have to live in fear. It's time to take control, it's time to SPEAK OUT.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I'm looking forward to rappers referencing ketamine in their lyrics in about a decade.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I cannot believe how intense a k hole is especially having gotten high off k a lot yet never exceeding into a k hole til detroit.....as that being a random thought from reading that.I think rapper and bands should be very encourage to sing/rap about new drugs or way to get high....like huffing air freshers or ingesting bath salts.
    Last edited by getbetter; 06-23-2013 at 02:11 AM.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Im going to throw a fucking hissy fit if that advice ruins my darkrapwave debut album, "K$ N0rT" from hitting platinum

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

The only thing abusive about Surfer Blood is the new album itself. I liked the first one a lot, too. But aside from a few tracks this new one is shit.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

How is Black Sabbath's 13 good? It just shouldn't be, but its fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    See, and the problem with that is that we only hear from the accused and not the accuser. I mean, I'm of the mind that everyone is innocent until proven guilty and the fact that the state dropped all charges against him leads me to believe he's probably not lying. That people dismiss their music based upon allegations that haven't been proved or disproved is pretty ridiculous.
    I'm not dismissing their music outright, I still love Astro Blood. And I don't think it's ridiculous to question whether or not I want to listen to someone's art if I suspect that they have (or continue) to behave in ways that I find abhorrent at all. The issue of separating the art from the artist has, as I've grown up, become something I think about quite seriously, and usually the case is that I find things out about the artist after already engaging with the art. The Beatles played a significant role in the development of my musical inclinations among other things, but I didn't know about John Lennon being abusive until after that, and I do actually get uneasy with that knowledge and find my ability to enjoy the music more difficult.

And I too am greatly appreciative of the "innocent til proven guilty" theory and system, except that I know from personal and anecdotal experience that domestic violence happens to be a gigantic grey messy area. I've got a few issues with the interview he gave to P4K. One, is that he takes the angle of calling this incident "a mistake he regrets," which is basically just PR cover up language. Another is the "Oh, I still drink, I'm just more careful now," line -- that question, this idea that maybe you abused someone because of a substance, doesn't stand with me. But mostly, the way in which he wants to let everyone know that he didn't hit anyone, that he isn't violent, is what I find the most problematic. He doesn't want this incident to be a reflection upon his character, because he doesn't want people thinking that he hits women. And that's fine, I mean, very few people want to be known as someone that champions the idea of punching their significant other in the face, but that doesn't excuse or explain the fact that there might have been abuse in a different form. I mean, we all know that Chris Brown socked Rihanna in the face, hard. But the victim's statement of this incident is this:

An argument pursued because she called a friend, stating she might need a place to stay. Pitts went into the bathroom and stated he was going to harm himself. When she knocked on the door, Pitts came out, they went into the bedroom, and the arguing continued. The victim stated Pitts grabbed her and flipped her over her shoulder, he then pinned her down by climbing on top of her. The defendant then proceeded to shove his fingers inside of her mouth. In return, she attempted to bite him and he pushed his fingers away. He continued to press his weight against her so she bit him on his chest. The victim stated this has occurred before. She told Pitts on numerous occasions she was going to call the police, but he just laughed.
    Just because you don't punch someone doesn't mean that you haven't physically harmed them or made them feel like the are in danger. I'll say this: I am incredibly ticklish. And I don't enjoy being tickled at all. I might be laughing, because that's how my body responds, but what I am actually feeling when someone pins me down and tickles me is fear, misery, and terror And when I cry stop, it isn't a "tee hee he, staaaaahp," it's an actual plea of "stop violating me, I am not okay with this." And the reaction from the men who have done this to me, when I am asking them to please stop, is always laughter. They laugh at me.

So I am inclined to believe that this incident wasn't the first, and that the victim was (and had been before) violated. Who knows, because I wasn't there. I believe him when he says it was a toxic relationship, and I admire that this is something that he has hopefully reflected upon with sincerity as a person who wants to be better. I still don't think it's ridiculous for me to stop and muse about whether or not I want to listen to their new album, because I have my own ethical standards that I like to reflect upon.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-23-2013 at 05:50 PM.

I agree with that, especially the fact that you have the right (and should) reflect upon how supporting an artist or listening to their art supports them as individuals. However, this one is situation where, before the artist made any statement and before the victim's statement was released, he was routinely and resoundingly attacked for what were, at the time, unpursued accusations. Whether or not it's what you did, the fact that people can now access this sort of information so quickly after allegations are made and go on attack so resolutely is just frustrating and, yes, ridiculous to me. Now here it seems like we'll never know the full story because the charges were dropped, so unless he admits to being physically violent or she renews her complaint/pursues it further, it's wading into some pretty unclear territory. We can form our own opinions about what may have happened, but that's all they are, and it's dangerous to form opinions about other peoples' actions based upon limited information we receive as sideline spectators. That's where we start calling someone guilty before it's been shown.

And while I understand the fact that domestic violence cases can frequently be full of abused victims who recant stories out of fear, love or other situations such as battered spouse syndrome, it's not fair to anyone who is truly innocent to say that because this is the case in some instances that it can be inferred to more, which is why I wholly believe someone is innocent until proven guilty regardless of the crime charged.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Fair enough. What did you rate OJ Simpson's album?

Oh, I wrote him off a long time ago because he went to USC. Some things are unforgivable.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

She Beats by Beaches is fantastic. It's got that sunny female vocal that's been all the rage this year, but with a really ominous psychedelic backdrop for much of the record. Listen to it!
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

So no one is talking about Run The Jewels yet? The single release before hand were solid as anything El-P or Killer Mike released last year, but I was still skeptical about this album... considering the two of them have been touring non-stop and after releasing their respective solo albums only last year, I figured they would be tired. However, my skepticism was unfounded, as this album is dynamite. It may not be as "in your face" as R.A.P. Music, but the beats are just as great, and the back and forth between El-P and Killer Mike works great across the stretch of the album.

Long story short, another outstanding album from the seemingly unstoppable bff hip-hop dup of El-P and Killer Mike. Do not sleep on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Chuck Johnson's "Crows in the Basilica" is a wonderful solo guitar/fingerpicking record. I saw him live last year and quite enjoyed it, but I really think this album is a step up from his older material. Less meandering and more deliberate. Highly recommended!
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Yeah, digging Run the Jewels a lot. Don't think I like it as much as Mike's last album tho

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I finally got to touch the internet for the first time in a week, and i must echo any and all praise that has been given to Fuck Buttons' Slow Focus. Their work always has the ability to right off the bat elicit a very visceral reaction out of me, partially because it somehow sounds nothing like anything else I had ever heard, and partially because whatever they are doing just clicks so positively with my brain. This album is no different; I was 100% sold 90 seconds into the first song, and it just continued throughout the entirety of the album. It's amazing how noisy and dark and musical and uplifting this music can be all at the same time. I love that there are lots of sounds that sound organic, then mix and bleed into layers of distortion and fuzz. And I really love how different this is able to sound sound from Tarot Sport while still sounding like it was made from the same guys. The switch from epic, strangely anthemic thump that many of the tracks on the last album had to mostly shorter, more mid-tempo tracks really makes a big difference here. This is a really masterful album that manages to be extremely interesting from an intellectual standpoint, yet really evokes a strong emotional response at the same time. Bravo, Fuck Buttons - after one listen it seems to early to say this is my favorite album of the year so far, but i can't say that reacted so positively so quickly to anything in a long time.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Fuck Buttons album is awesome I agree. These guys just keep getting better.

Marisa Anderson's Mercury is fucking brilliant. Gorgeous, spinning experimental blues guitar. GET ON IT

Yeah, Fuck Buttons really out-did themselves with this recent one. I am also really, really enjoying the new Blondes album; that one came out of fucking nowhere! They've done well to add a few new wrinkles to their sound ("Bora Bora" and "Wire" in particular) and I find myself coming back to it a lot. -Ziq and Zomby have also been getting a lot of heavy rotation as of late too.

The release I am completely enamored with at the moment, however, is the compilation Enjoy the Experience - Homemade Recordings 1958-92 put out by Now Again. As the title suggests, these songs were never big or even moderate hits - they are all "private press" recordings, but are so forward-thinking and insanely good that it kind of boggles the mind. A lot of these tracks fall in the funk/soul/boogie genres, but there are some bizarrely wonderful gems on there (one in particular, "666" by Ray Torske, I just can't find an audio clip of):

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Anyone else loving the Young Fathers' Tape Two? So groovy and good

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    DJ Rashad's new EP on Hyperdub, Rollin', is fucking excellent; he's really pushing this somewhat limiting genre (juke/footwork) into new and quite interesting directions.

Yes. I finally got around to listening to this today. Really, really forward thinking stuff.

The new Moderat. Get on it, people.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    "Bad Kingdom" is fucking great.

Yep, I think that's my favorite along with "Let in the Light" and "Melt."
    Last edited by Gribbz; 07-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Statik Selektah's Extended Play is 90s boom bap mixtape perfection.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I'm really digging the new Maya Jane Coles as well. What a dancey summer it's been so far.

Really? I was sorely disappointed with it. Too pop oriented and not as groovy as her previous outputs. Prefer most of her dj sets over the album too.

Really? I was sorely disappointed with it. Too pop oriented and not as groovy as her previous outputs. Prefer most of her dj sets over the album too.
    I actually haven't been exposed to a ton of her material... but Comfort definitely grabbed me in a way her other stuff hasn't. I haven't listened to any of Maya's DJ mixes, though. Suggestions?

Her recent xlr8r podcast is good summer dance time jams!