Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Russ Liquid's Foreign Frequency is the most brolectronic album I've heard in awhile. A few of the tracks are actually pretty tight, but this album is just begging to be the soundtrack for pool parties and keg stands.

And, after 4 front-to-back listens, Yeezus is my AOTY thus far.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Agreed on Yeezus. I don't even give a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I would have agreed on Yeezus as well had Slow Focus not come along and made my head explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

If the rest of that album is as good as the first two tracks, I'mma be smitten for while.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Enjoy the last two. Shit was literally euphoric for me.
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Heh, I actually find the last two the least fascinating. The rest of the album seems like a real step forward for them, while the last two sound more like Fuck Buttons of old. But I really like Fuck Buttons of old, so that's not even a diss. They're blissful and great, but I'm excited by some of the new places they go with the shorter songs. This album is a definite keeper and perhaps their finest album yet. Just real instant pleasure that I'm anticipating will grow and grow.

At this point I'm pretty sure that their trick of sending in a speaker-frying low end drone at around the midway point of a song is designed to activate all pleasure centers of my brain, hence my love for "Stalkers" in particular. But I agree. I was skeptical of the new direction at first upon hearing the first single, as I figured Tarot Sport would remain the pinnacle of their craft. However the new sonic elements work very well in this album and had the same bracing effect I experienced when hearing their last album for the first time. Genuinely exciting stuff.
    Last edited by Jman4321; 06-20-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Finally! This video is from DFA 12th year anniversary show. I'm pretty sure Gabe played a new tune for us. Enjoy

How did you find the experience of putting together an album after making several singles and EPs?

We began recording and releasing vinyl at a very early stage with this current line up. I had just joined so the Untitled 10-inch recorded and released in 2010 on Blast First Petite was us getting to know each other, followed by Optimo's Real Love. The singles and EPs were 50 percent about testing the water with different recording situations—purpose built studios, producers, recording live, recording direct—and prepping ourselves for our debut album. We came to the conclusion we wanted to record it ourselves. Mainly because we wanted to learn, we wanted to have time to explore our own instruments this is how we decided to set up base in Mono House, a north London warehouse.

How long did it take to put together? Were all of the tracks made specifically for the album?

It took a while, well a long time, almost two years. The main reason for this is we decided to keep developing live in tandem with recording. Also committing time to our ICA residency. Collaborating with established artists fed more inspiration. Yes the tracks were specifically made for the album, we consciously wanted to make a record that offered an alternative side to our live shows. We chose to discipline the tracks and emulate our own staple sound.

When did you guys hook up with Timothy 'Q' Wiles, and why did you choose him to mix the record?

We hooked up with him at the beginning of the year. At this point we were too close to the record to hear it properly. Gabriel's snare would rip my head off, my vocal treatments became so removed they no longer sounded human! The consequence of a professional getting their hands on our files made us clean them up one last time beforehand, take a final look at our individual parts and better them if need be. We knew of him from the VCMG record out on Mute last year. He gave the tracks air and dimension, as if he'd taken them on holiday—this is exactly what the album needed.

What does the rest of 2013 hold in store?

Many festival shows in Europe and UK, plus a tour in the fall, the completion of our residency at the ICA, continuing with our solo projects and beginning album number two.
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=20189

Tracklist
    01. Turn It Up
    02. Here Again
    03. One
    04. Fall Back
    05. Two
    06. How You Say
    07. Two Different Ways
    08. Three
    09. Work Out
    10. Breathe I

DFA will release Factory Floor on September 9th, 2013.

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I love the new Fuck Buttons. I want to be blown backwards experiencing those songs on a booming sound system live.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

2 more excellent outputs from Slumberland:

The Mantles - Long Enough to Leave. They're a San Francisco based band that's toured with The Fresh & Onlys, and this album is full of sunny neo-psychadelic jangles.

Spectrals - Sob Story - this was produced by Chet White of Girls, is bluesy-garage post-punk with some great hooks. The ballads are boring, though.

The ballads are boring, though.
    Ain't that always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Finally!
    seriously

Python, the new Surfer Blood it's certs worth a listen. The first three tracks are stellar. There are some gems through the rest of the album; I know I am going to keep listening just for the fun melodic vocal lines. Yay shimmery guitar pop!

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Python, the new Surfer Blood it's certs worth a listen. The first three tracks are stellar. There are some gems through the rest of the album; I know I am going to keep listening just for the fun melodic vocal lines. Yay shimmery guitar pop!
    I need to listen to this. I loved Astro Coast.

Freddie Gibbs once again delivers one of the best hip hop albums of the year. BFK last year and now ESGN.

Why do goon rappers think it is cool to slur their words indecipherably?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

So, I want to listen to the new Surfer Blood because I also was a huge fan of Astro Coast, but I learned (from a board member who knows the band) that the lead singer beat his girlfriend. So I am at an impasse

This is an interesting subject that I have had trouble with myself. The Pixies drummer apparently loves to beat women, and I love that band. Varg Vikernes is a homophobic, racist sociopath whose music I also like, but recently I had decided I am done supporting him in any way. Is it really possible to keep the art separate from the artist? Don't the artist rely on their persona to some degree?

edit: On the other hand, Blue Oyster Cult is a band whose music I would probably hate if it wasn't all subliminal satanic messaging
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 06-22-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

John Lennon beat women too

So, I want to listen to the new Surfer Blood because I also was a huge fan of Astro Coast, but I learned (from a board member who knows the band) that the lead singer beat his girlfriend. So I am at an impasse
    This one is interesting because all that has come out so far has been a call to the police, but the charges were dropped. We don't know why, and something definitely happened, but whether he actually was violent towards her is unclear. So I dunno, I understand the impulse, but here there's not a clear story that one could rest that decision on. It's not like Chris Brown.

And what is this with David Lovering? I had no idea he was an abusive dude.

After traveling across the US the last month, it seems the Daft Punk single may be the song of the summer. I always tune in local radio stations to see what is happening locally and I heard that song everywhere. cr****
    2nd Place goes to the Neighborhood sweater song ...
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Hey, this is the internet age. You can listen to music made by horrible human beings without giving them a single red cent. So let's all get drunk and listen to Skrewdriver.

Those dudes go hard

I can't find anything on the web about Pixies drummer being abusive. I actually found a blog written by his ex-wife about what a great and kind guy he is, and how they divorced mostly because she wasn't there for him and was kind of neglectful.

This one is interesting because all that has come out so far has been a call to the police, but the charges were dropped. We don't know why, and something definitely happened, but whether he actually was violent towards her is unclear. So I dunno, I understand the impulse, but here there's not a clear story that one could rest that decision on. It's not like Chris Brown.
    Before Pythons came out, Pitchfork released an interview with John Paul Pitts about the incident. He swears no violence occurred on either side and it was just a loud argument that got out of hand and the police were called. You can read the whole thing here.

So when they posted the review of Pythons, I was quite confused because they didn't seem to have a too much of a problem with the music, but the reviewer had a huge problem with Pitts himself and it seemed like he actively set out to end Surfer Blood's career with the review. I think Pythons is great and I will be listening to it all summer.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

See, and the problem with that is that we only hear from the accused and not the accuser. I mean, I'm of the mind that everyone is innocent until proven guilty and the fact that the state dropped all charges against him leads me to believe he's probably not lying. That people dismiss their music based upon allegations that haven't been proved or disproved is pretty ridiculous.

No wonder you can't get a job in law.

Hah. Yeah, I'm applying to Public Defender's offices primarily so that should be the general mindset, buuuuuuuuut....

DV cases are really hard cases for the state to prosecute, especially in CA (not sure where this case is) because the victim is not forced to testify. So while the V may initially file charges and cooperate during pretrial, it is not uncommon for the V to refuse to testify last minute destroying the State's case. V often feel remorse after time, want to "make things work," or is afraid. I had a internship at a DA office for the DV unit and the DAs said many of the cases are repeat victims with a history of refusing to testify forcing the case to be dropped. I'm a firm believer of innocent until proven guilty but DV cases blur that line too often. Quite sad. Read a lot about scumbags.

There are moments on Me Moan, the new Daughn Gibson, where things get so self-consciously weird and hammy that I almost cringe. They don't happen often, but there are a few moments where his voice is so affected and weird that I just get uncomfortable. That having been said, the majority of the album is a good step forward from the country sample-delica sound of the first album. The tracks are all better recorded, better put together and better written. Kissing on the Blacktop starts with one of those cringe-worthy moments and then kicks into a country/funk hybrid that is just so killer. All three times I've listened to Mad Ocean I've found myself bouncing along in pure joy. He's definitely taken steps forward and put out a really interesting, good and entertaining album. Good on that weirdo truck driving sonofabitch.