Page 38 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

First studio album in 10 years

NEW ALBUM THE LAST SHIP TO BE RELEASED IN SEPTEMBER

We are pleased to announce The Last Ship, an album of brand new material from Sting, will be released on September 24, 2013 (internationally on September 23, 2013).

The album is inspired by Sting’s forthcoming play of the same name and explores the central themes of homecoming and self-discovery, drawing upon his memories of growing up in the shadow of the Swan Hunters Shipyard in Wallsend. His personal reminiscences illuminate universal truths – the complexity of relationships, the passage of time and the importance of family and community – to form an affecting, complex parable for our modern times.

Guest artists on The Last Ship with roots in the North East of England include Brian Johnson (AC/DC), The Unthanks, The Wilson Brothers and Kathryn Tickell. The album is produced by Rob Mathes (Sting, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Lou Reed, Carly Simon) and engineered and mixed by Donal Hodgson.

The play, which Sting has been working on for nearly three years, will debut on Broadway in 2014 and is a collaboration with Tony Award winners Joe Mantello (director; Wicked, Other Desert Cities), John Logan (writer; Red, Skyfall) and Brian Yorkey (writer; Next to Normal). The Last Ship tells the story of the demise of the shipbuilding industry in 1980s Newcastle which, for so long, shaped the city, its development, and its community.

The forthcoming album, The Last Ship, will be available as both a digital and physical release in two configurations – a 12-song version and a 2-disc deluxe version featuring 5 additional tracks. (The 12-song version will also be available on vinyl.) A super deluxe edition, containing 2-discs comprised of 20 tracks within special packaging, will also be sold as a physical product exclusively at Amazon.com. Amazon MP3 will be the exclusive retailer for the 20-track, super deluxe digital edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    The new Mount Kimbie is very good. Definitely one of my best of the year thus far. I like it much better than Crooks and Lovers; it's more fully developed and has a deeper feel. I like the tracks with King Krule, too.
    Excellent. Just picked up tickets to see them in a couple of weeks. I need to check the new one out beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    The new Mount Kimbie is very good. Definitely one of my best of the year thus far. I like it much better than Crooks and Lovers; it's more fully developed and has a deeper feel. I like the tracks with King Krule, too.
    I'm really digging this one as well; I appreciate the fact that they've managed to change their sound up enough to keep things interesting (in fact, that seems to be a trend in sophomore albums this year). I still prefer Crooks and Lovers a bit more, but that might change after I listen to this one a few more times.

Another album I am thoroughly enjoying is the new Eleanor Friedberger Personal Record; it's a perfect summer record, and the production and songwriting seem a lot more assured than her previous solo album Last Summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Portal took the most work I'd imagine. It's a great, crusty death metal record, but it is fucking inaccessible. The Windhand half of the Cough/Windhand split is probably the most thrilling metal release of the year, but hot damn if Deafheaven doesn't just get me excited.
    Finally got around to listening to the Cough/Windhand split. The Cough half was completely generic and not that interesting. The Windhand side is fantastic, though. That side alone makes this one of the best metal releases of the year. Looking forward to more of their stuff. I think Deafheaven blows it out of the water, but I am much more of a fan of black metal than doom metal so that might just be my genre biases.

Aso, the Vestiges/Panopticon split is fantastic. Give that a listen if you haven't heard that. My favorite metal split of the year. Two of the most interesting black metal bands out there right now.

Right on, I definitely will. I tend to lean more doom than black, but I'd still agree that Deafheaven takes the cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The Disclosure album is good, but it's most valuable contribution is reminding me that Jamie Woon exists. Glad to see that he is still active.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Every track on this new Snowden album is great so far.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

The Focus Group's new one is such wonderful ear candy, especially with headphones. I'm sad that I'll never see Broadcast perform, but hopefully these guys tour. So good.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Loving Settle. all the singles leading up to it were fantastic, but im really pleasantly surprised with how coheesive it all is. Not to sound like the doucher in the upcoming shows thread, but i do feel like they are doing awesome things as far as techno is going. Way to come out of the gate strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Also, Ensemble Pearl's self-titled album is an absolute masterpiece. It is a collaborative project of Sunn 0)))'s Stephen O'Malley, Ghost's Michio Kurihara, Boris drummer Atsuo, and William Herzog from Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter. It is quite a journey, one of the best drone albums I've heard really. Each track definitely has its own sounds, with a beginning, and end, but the entire hour+ album feels like a cohesive piece from beginning to end. It has great textured atmospheric sections, noisy free-form jazzy-feelings sections, and really heavy, sludged out guitar work. To my ears, it's pretty accessible for a long-form drone/experimental record too. I definitely recomment sitting down and listening to the whole thing loud with headphones on if you get a chance.
    Pay the fuck attention to this people. It's incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Hopefully it'll be out by end of the year...

FROM MODEST MOUSE:

"After much thought, we have decided to cancel our EU/UK tour to continue work on our forthcoming album. We do appreciate our fans and promise that we will make it up to you next year.

9/23 Panda Bear @ Irving Plaza
    9/25 Thurston Moore @ PS1
    9/25 Lindstrom @ Output
    9/26 Richie Hawtin @ Tao
    9/27 The Roots/No Doubt @ Great Lawn
    9/27 Marcel Dettmann/Silent Servant @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

This is going to be their heaviest rock album yet

9/25 Lindstrom @ Output
    9/26 Richie Hawtin @ Tao

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Powell makes vaguely techno-ish tunes out of no wave samples and it's fucking awesome. Was going to post in the mnml thread but I think some of you who aren't as tuned into that stuff might dig this too.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Hear new three tracks from Parquet Courts here: http://www.npr.org/2013/06/05/188978...sc=tw&cc=share

9/25 Lindstrom @ Output
    9/26 Richie Hawtin @ Tao

Spooks, tell us about 2013 releases. You're like suprefan - it's all facts and stats but you both are missing the human element entirely.

What have you enjoyed this year? What have you listened to recently that's connected with you?
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

He's not like supre, he's a Brooklyn Vegan spam bot.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Yeah, at least he isn't a six-year old showing everyone how big his penis is by throwing mud at the girls and running away.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The human element is Thom Yorke doing a zany gif dance.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Powell makes vaguely techno-ish tunes out of no wave samples and it's fucking awesome. Was going to post in the mnml thread but I think some of you who aren't as tuned into that stuff might dig this too.

Patrick, this is awesome. Is this track off of a particular album? It's kind of hard to find information on this guy. I am on the Diagaonal Recods site but it's pretty hard to navigate. There is a mixtape by Powell on there though that I am going to check out:
    http://www.diagonal-records.com/POWELL-MIX

EDIT: Nevermind, found him on discogs. Untitled is the name of the ep.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Ex-Wife's New Colors is a great noisy rock record. I read them described as being post-punk, but to me it sounds much more like Sebadoh and Archers of Loaf. Lots of feedback, super jangly guitars, lots of build-ups to layered noisy crescendos, back-mixed reverby vocals - really good, solid record.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Oh, man. I had no idea Ducktails was now a full band and I am digging The Flower Lane a lot! As much as I enjoy the lofi aesthetic his previous albums never clicked for me. This is much more polished and jazzy and Upbeat. Thanks to whoever it was that listed it as one of their half year faves, these are some awesome jams.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Yes, that Ducktails album is awesome. It came out so early in the year I almost forget that it's a 2013 release.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Omg wow this Quadron album, Avalanche is incredible. If you liked the Rhye album I highly recommend this. Robin Hannibal who wrote/produced on the Rhye record is one half of Quadron, along with Coco, the singer. She's got an amazing voice, very powerful and seductive. She's been all over the place this year, too. Really happy for them. I feel like this record was a long time coming.

Yeah, the newest Ducktails album is indeed great. I feel that it's really lush and full and the vocals add a lot too.

I really am enjoying Demdike Stare's Testpressing series. Both of the discs out so far contain two 7+ minute tracks, where the A side is a more ambient/noisy piece and the B side is a more tribal jungly dance track.

I also loved Dustin O'Halloran's OST for "The Beauty Inside". The OST is for a webseries, so all the songs are around 1-2 minutes long. It's really just a collection of short, ambientish piano thought pieces, but every bit is so perfect to me and I really feel like I live for music like this. If you liked A Winged Victory for the Sullen, I'd check this out, as Dustin is half of that duo.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Omg wow this Quadron album, Avalanche is incredible. If you liked the Rhye album I highly recommend this. Robin Hannibal who wrote/produced on the Rhye record is one half of Quadron, along with Coco, the singer. She's got an amazing voice, very powerful and seductive. She's been all over the place this year, too. Really happy for them. I feel like this record was a long time coming.
    Could not agree more. This album is so fucking good.

Ok ok ok ok

When Saints Go Machine - Infinity Pool

GREAT SHIT. Killer Mike with a guest verse on the first track. Weird, electronic, soulful, rnb-influenced shit from Denmark. Really awesome

Generationals' album, Heza, is the most catchy, fun, easy-listening pop album that I've heard this year. Any one of its tracks could accompany a TV car commercial or be in the soundtrack to the big blockbuster comedy film of the summer. I'm not ashamed to say that I like it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post

Badass, gonna def look into Powell more. Dark but with the right dose of crunchy energy. Thanks for sharing.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I

I just finished with the new BOC album (amazing) and started listening to the Majical Cloudz album and I have to say I am feeling really good right now. I went into this Majical Cloudz album pretty blind, only recognizing the artist name from the Grimes album. I am melting into my chair right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003