Page 36 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 2108

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

fuck yes http://pitchfork.com/news/50960-no-a...bum-an-object/

L.A. duo No Age return with new album An Object on August 19 in the UK and August 20 in North America through Sub Pop. The follow-up to 2010's excellent Everything in Between was made at Gaucho's Electronics in L.A. by Dean Spunt and Randy Randall with longtime collaborator Facundo Bermudez.

A press release says:
    This new LP finds drummer/vocalist Dean Spunt exploding from behind his kit, landing percussive blows with amplified contact mics, 4-string bass guitars, and prepared speakers, as well as traditional forms of lumber and metal. Meanwhile, guitarist Randy Randall corrals his previously lush, spastic, sprawling arrangements into taught, refined, rats' nests.
    No Age created the album packaging with designer Brian Roettinger.
    A press release states:
    The band has performed, recorded, produced, and prepared and assembled the entirety of the physical packaging of An Object, including jackets, inserts, and labels, taking on the roll of manufacturer, artist, and musician until the roles trip on themselves and individual parts lose their distinct meanings, demanding to be considered as a whole.
    An Object:
    01 No Ground
    02 I won’t Be Your Generator
    03 C’mon Stimmung
    04 Defector/ed
    05 An Impression
    06 Lock Box
    07 Running From A-Go-Go
    08 My Hands, Birch and Steel
    09 Circling With Dizzy
    10 A Ceiling Dreams of a Floor
    11 Commerce, Comment, Commence

grabbed the new Evil Friends last night and can't stop listening to it.... every track hooks you from the beginning and deff gets an early nod for best albums so far... plus the cover kicks ass!

portu.jpg

4/02 Kelela at The Echo
    4/03 Ziggy Marley at Sonos Studios
    4/14 Blood Orange at El Rey
    4/15 Broken Bells at Fonda Theatre
    4/16 Little Dragon at Pappy & Harriet's
    5/03 Danny Brown at El Rey
    5/23-25 Sasquatch! at The Gorge
    6/14-15 Low End Theory Festival at Echoplex
    7/11 J5 / Quannum Projects at Greek Theatre Berkely
    8/25 - Nine Inch Nails / Soundgarden / Death Grips at Hollywood Bowl

Really looking forward to Sarah Neufeld (of Arcade Fire)'s debut album, which is a solo violin work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSHDmPyp86A
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

David Byrne & St. Vincent put out an ep, Brass Tactics EP, with a new song, remixes, live tracks, and its way better then that whole album from last year.

I don't care whattttt people have to say about FIDLAR... Their debut kicks ass and has all fucking year. Played it in the car on a fast freeway drive tonight, so good.

I guess you can call this a gateway album for me. The concept of the album, the way they used the cello, the eerie haunting off-key sound that some of the songs had just all worked perfectly. And of course you can't forget the amazing lyrics in "Sierra"!!! Just a masterpiece of an album if I do say so myself. I would love to hear it in full on tour this year again like when they toured with Minus the Bear & No Knife in 2003

We are working on an anniversary edition of Cursive’s 2003 classic The Ugly Organ. We hope to include a re-mastered version of the record, all sorts of bonus tracks, and a disc of video that includes traditional music videos along with footage from band’s archive.

While going through video from the era, it occurred to us that having some present day reactions from those outside of band and label might be a fun thing to include. So here it is: we would love for you to sit in front of your camera (video, phone, computer, whatever works!) and tell us a story or two about what The Ugly Organ means to you. Could be about a song, or a show, or a just a memory that the Organ has provided the soundtrack to over the last 10 years…whatever you want to say!

Once you’ve perfected your clip, just upload it to us (instructions below). If we end up using your footage in the video portion of the release, we’ll hook you up with your choice of a CD or LP re-issue package, and include you in the credits. We are looking forward to seeing and hearing what you have to say!

instructions:
    1. If you don’t have an account, sign up for vimeo here https://vimeo.com. It’s free and easy.
    2. Once you are logged in, go to https://vimeo.com/groups/192764 & join the Cursive Video Submission group.
    3. Upload your video.
    4. While uploading your video be sure the check the box next to “Download the Video” in the Privacy Settings.
    5. Once your video is uploaded click ” + Add to…” and select “Cursive Video Submission”
    http://saddle-creek.com/news/2013/05...-cursive-fans/

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It is a very good album, but still pales in comparison to Domestica
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Really liking Jon Hopkins Immunity. Starts off with some harmonious beat driven electro but progresses to finish with more relaxing and soothing instrumental stuff. Of his previous work, it is most similar to Insides but IMO has a better flow as an album. Beautiful and interesting sounds from him as expected. Still early but this may be my favorite album from him including Diamond Mine.

Xander Harris put out a great dance record called The New Dark Age of Love on the Not Not Fun label that is dark, kind of ethereal, but still bumps. Lots of fun.

Sarah Neufeld of Arcade Fire is putting out a solo violin record this year called Hero Brother and the title track is pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSHDmPyp86A
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Really liking Jon Hopkins Immunity. Starts off with some harmonious beat driven electro but progresses to finish with more relaxing and soothing instrumental stuff. Of his previous work, it is most similar to Insides but IMO has a better flow as an album. Beautiful and interesting sounds from him as expected. Still early but this may be my favorite album from him including Diamond Mine.
    Cool, I definitely need to check this out. I loved Insides

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    I guess you can call this a gateway album for me. The concept of the album, the way they used the cello, the eerie haunting off-key sound that some of the songs had just all worked perfectly. And of course you can't forget the amazing lyrics in "Sierra"!!! Just a masterpiece of an album if I do say so myself. I would love to hear it in full on tour this year again like when they toured with Minus the Bear & No Knife in 2003

http://saddle-creek.com/news/2013/05...-cursive-fans/
    As I'm reading this The Recluse came on shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I don't care whattttt people have to say about FIDLAR... Their debut kicks ass and has all fucking year. Played it in the car on a fast freeway drive tonight, so good.
    Do some people not like it? My friends and I all listen to it all the time. It kicks so much fucking ass its not even funny. I definitely think it is one of the best releases this year thus far.

EDIT: In a similar vein, I haven't really heard people talking about The So So Glos Blowout, but that is another album that I cannot stop listening to. The band is this weird amalgamation of The Gun Club, The Clash, The Hives, Nirvana, Wavves, Rancid, Blink-182, Japandroids, and Titus Andronicus. It is just an album full to the brim of big giant anthemic punk rock songs. Towards the end of the album, they change pace and mix it up a bit, throwing some country and folk-inspired songs into the mix, so the album doesn't get stale. Anyways, this album is awesome and more people should be talking about it.
    Last edited by rage patton; 05-31-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

I like FIDLAR a lot too. the EP last year. have not heard the album this year. another one to add to my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Definitely enjoying the new Fuck Buttons track. I was trying not to get too hyped about their new album considering that it'd be hard to top Tarot Sport for me, however this new song is making that task quite difficult. It sounds like the edit cuts off right when it's about to get really intense.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

After hearing about him so much over the past few weeks, I listened to Majical Cloudz' new one Impersonator yesterday. The two songs I had heard weren't good, but I figured maybe there was something I was missing since I had heard such praise. The album is one of the most blatantly mediocre albums I've heard in years. Hell, I'll even go beyond that, it's just plain bad. The music is interesting at certain points, but the vocals really don't fit with it all and the whole thing just screams "of the era."
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Brolin's, hereafter referred as BROlin, EP Cundo has some catchy songs. I'd say he's a chill and soulful Chet Faker. I guess BROlin is doing the mysterious hide-your-identity/face thing that seems to be more and more popular but whatever, his music is good.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    After hearing about him so much over the past few weeks, I listened to Majical Cloudz' new one Impersonator yesterday. The two songs I had heard weren't good, but I figured maybe there was something I was missing since I had heard such praise. The album is one of the most blatantly mediocre albums I've heard in years. Hell, I'll even go beyond that, it's just plain bad. The music is interesting at certain points, but the vocals really don't fit with it all and the whole thing just screams "of the era."
    Yeah it's totally bland and uninteresting.

What style of music is it?

And, Deafheaven - Sunbather. Fuck you kid, you haven't heard an album this good in a long time. It's like shoegaze/post-rock/black metal/dream pop. Sure, the vocals are harsh black metal screams, but it's the first time EVER that singing style has sounded ecstatic and positively joyous. Every song has a few gut-punch great moments that just make you stop and say, "Woah." It's probably not going to be topped this year.

That said, A split on Relapse with doom bands Cough and Windhand suggests that either of those acts may put out a worthy challenger when they release their respective full-lengths later this year. Cough is all dark and screamy and full of intense, scary sounds and samples. Windhand has killer guitar solos and a melodic, singing vocalist that really makes their style shine. A great combo of doom metal, stoner and psych that just screams crossover potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The new Gold Panda album is streaming ahead of its release next week here.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    The new Gold Panda album is streaming ahead of its release next week here.
    I'm liking what i'm hearing. Thanks

What style of music is it?
    It's this crooning male vocalist that sings over completely cookie cutter electronic music. Not as bad as that Alex Clare song, but he has the same goal in mind for his music it seems.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

It's very sparse in a way that is very not good.

And, Deafheaven - Sunbather. Fuck you kid, you haven't heard an album this good in a long time. It's like shoegaze/post-rock/black metal/dream pop. Sure, the vocals are harsh black metal screams, but it's the first time EVER that singing style has sounded ecstatic and positively joyous. Every song has a few gut-punch great moments that just make you stop and say, "Woah." It's probably not going to be topped this year.
    Okay, I rarely if ever listen to metal. Gotta say, I like this quite a bit. The purely instrumental passages more than the screamy parts, but who knows, I may come around on those too.

Really a great listen. So much melody. I'm tempted to add the cliche "so much melody under all of the noise" blah blah, but really, it's all just out there in the open.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Howlin' by Jagwar Ma is streaming in full at NPR and it sounds great! Psychedelic dance Brit rock with Beach Boy vocal harmonies and trippy synth beats under beautiful melodies.

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/02/187299...owlin#playlist
    Last edited by shotglass75; 06-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Check out Sleeping In Is Giving In for great mixes and other cool stuff

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

The new Black Sabbath album has exceeded all expectations I had for it. Iommi absolutely shreds on this thing and it Ozzy actually sounds really good. He doesn't necessarily sound like 70s Ozzy but he sounds damn good for a guy in his 60s. I was concerned about Bill Ward's absence from the album but Brad Wilk did a good job filling in for him. I really can't wait to hear some of these songs live. This whole album sounds like they was recorded it in the 70's and put it away for 35 years.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

I should probably go see them again, huh? They destroyed what was once a soul at Lolla last year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Okay, I rarely if ever listen to metal. Gotta say, I like this quite a bit. The purely instrumental passages more than the screamy parts, but who knows, I may come around on those too.

Really a great listen. So much melody. I'm tempted to add the cliche "so much melody under all of the noise" blah blah, but really, it's all just out there in the open.
    If you like that, definitely check out last year's release by Alcest, and Altar of Plagues. And pretty much any of the many post rock albums I recommend.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Yeah, Alcest would be a good step from there Mitch. Also, I don't know if you've listened, but Yellow and Green by Baroness would likely be right up your alley, as a guy who digs meat and potatoes rock. That album is a master class in writing a modern rock record.

And glad to hear that you enjoyed the Deafheaven album. It's really something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

2nd time through the NPR stream of Jagwar Ma. Holy Hell it's great!!!!!!

Starts as an almost tribute to the Beach Boys and goes into a psychedelic trip and ends as if James Murphy was in the control room with them.

Last edited by shotglass75; 06-03-2013 at 07:36 PM.

An unreleased verse from a song called "Swank", which will be on his upcoming "Summer Knights" ep dropping on June 12th.

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.