Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You don't think singing about going to parties on Cape Cod is rich and condescending?

You don't think having an album cover with a preppy girl with a popped collar Ralph Lauren polo shirt is rich and smug?

Must be a generational thing, because this shit just screams 'privilege' to me. flaunts it, parades it, gets right in our face with it. glad you like them though. And you're right, they are catchy and they are probably somewhat better than whatever tepid indie pop band flavor of the month you can think of.
    See, this response screams "insensitive to class distinctions" to me. You see a few superficial things and it gets you pissed off when those things, to me at least, don't say anything huge about privilege. So maybe it is a generational thing. I knew lots of thrift store kids in Bishop who wore Ralph Lauren stuff because it wound up there. And more than a few people who would go to parties in Bel Air who would come back to UCLA afterwards and eat ramen all week because it was all they could afford. I don't think these things are as rigid as they once were, maybe, or maybe we just don't care as much.
    Last edited by bmack86; 05-11-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

You don't think singing about going to parties on Cape Cod is rich and condescending?

You don't think having an album cover with a preppy girl with a popped collar Ralph Lauren polo shirt is rich and smug?

Must be a generational thing, because this shit just screams 'privilege' to me. flaunts it, parades it, gets right in our face with it. glad you like them though. And you're right, they are catchy and they are probably somewhat better than whatever tepid indie pop band flavor of the month you can think of.
    Subject matter and perspective aren't the same. I did some reading about them because I was bored. Some interesting back and forth between these articles:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...weekend-contra

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=1358299

http://agrammar.tumblr.com/post/3584...-of-herself-in

http://agrammar.tumblr.com/post/3599...ht-on-j-hopper
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Subject matter and perspective aren't the same. I did some reading about them because I was bored. Some interesting back and forth between these articles:

Thanks for those. They create a really good dialogue on the subject, and that final piece expresses my problems with the criticisms of VW for their image rather than their music better than I could.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I hope you guys spent this much time arguing about the validity of The Strokes too
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

"The way I look at it is: it's my God-given right to wear a cricket sweater just as it is my right to wear a [Ralph Lauren] Polo shirt," asserts Koenig
    So they're not actually overprivileged ivy league elitists.. they just like to dress that way. That makes it much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I hope you guys spent this much time arguing about the validity of The Strokes too
    Severely tempted to talk about how boring the Strokes are

I mean, I am ALWAYS tempted to talk about how boring IceyHotShot is, but I keep my fucking mouth shut.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Speaking of the Strokes, an old friend once went on a tirade about how much he hated them for being rich kids who dressed down like "authentically poor musicians" (srsly). I assume the moral of this is, "Dress according to your social position, and God fucking help you if you are rich, asshole."
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Just take solace in the high probability that at some institution, some student is getting ready to pen a thesis on the subtle Marxist touches of Vampire Weekend lyrics, and then both sides of the debate can hug and ridicule together.
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

The Strokes saved music though. Or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Anything below a 9/10 is just disrespect.

So they're not actually overprivileged ivy league elitists.. they just like to dress that way. That makes it much better.

The Beatles and the Stones, as a calculated move, wore matching suits at the outset.

Give it a break. The musicians are talented. The melodies are catchy. The lyrics are clever.

Embrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    Just take solace in the high probability that at some institution, some student is getting ready to pen a thesis on the subtle Marxist touches of Vampire Weekend lyrics, and then both sides of the debate can hug and ridicule together.
    hehehehehehehe

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Is this where we talk about 2013 releases? I really enjoyed The Besnard Lakes' recent release.

I need to give it a few more spins. I LOVED Are the Dark Horse, and the last one was pretty good, but this one left me cold on first listen. Seriously though, Are the Dark Horse is one of my favorite albums ever. There is just so much great music on it.

I'll give my boring 2 cents on Vampire Weekend. I didn't like their first album at all, and thought they were really boring. The 2nd album surprised me, as there were a few songs I genuinely enjoyed. Then I saw them at Sasquatch in 2010 because they were on right before My Morning Jacket. Vampire Weekend's live show was surprisingly fun and energetic. I let my Ivy League biases go, and actually had a pretty good time at their set. I'm still not a huge fan, but I've grown to respect them more over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I need to give it a few more spins. I LOVED Are the Dark Horse, and the last one was pretty good, but this one left me cold on first listen. Seriously though, Are the Dark Horse is one of my favorite albums ever. There is just so much great music on it.
    Have faith. It didn't click with me the first time around, but got much better with a 2nd listen.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I'll give my boring 2 cents on Vampire Weekend. I didn't like their first album at all, and thought they were really boring. The 2nd album surprised me, as there were a few songs I genuinely enjoyed. Then I saw them at Sasquatch in 2010 because they were on right before My Morning Jacket. Vampire Weekend's live show was surprisingly fun and energetic. I let my Ivy League biases go, and actually had a pretty good time at their set. I'm still not a huge fan, but I've grown to respect them more over the years.
    I've no problem with people not liking them for their music. I DO have a problem with people not liking them because of perceived image or social issues, mostly because that has so little to do with a band.

FWIW concerning the "Tom's awful opinions vs. Vampire Weekend is a band that shouldn't inspire vehement hatred" thing: Watching Tom trying to defend a scumbag, racist piece of shit in John Lydon after all these years of deriding Morrissey is absolutely precious.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Have faith. It didn't click with me the first time around, but got much better with a 2nd listen.
    I hope this is true. I adore Roaring Night, but have had a hard time connecting with the new one.

And The National's new one is seriously great. I like it quite a bit more than High Violet, and I think with a few more listens it's going to be every bit the equal of Alligator and Boxer. Trouble Will Find Me sounds like a band that's totally comfortable with itself and what it can do and now feels the freedom to stretch out and (morosely) play.
    Last edited by roberto73; 05-12-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I adore the Besnard Lakes album but couldn't get its damn name right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

I like the new Besnard Lakes, but it's definitely not connecting with me with the same immediacy that Are The Roaring Night did. I think it definitely requires more attention.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

It does. Took about 3 full listens to really appreciate how sonically ambitious it is. Really a great album.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

I've only listened to the Besnard Lakes record a few times all the way through, and haven't been overly impressed, but damn it all if At Midnight isn't up there for song of the year at this point.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    FWIW concerning the "Tom's awful opinions vs. Vampire Weekend is a band that shouldn't inspire vehement hatred" thing: Watching Tom trying to defend a scumbag, racist piece of shit in John Lydon after all these years of deriding Morrissey is absolutely precious.
    Hey Lee, when did you come back to the board?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Small Black's Limits of Desire is a really terrific summer album. it does everything that the other chillwave acts that have managed to make it past 2010 (like Washed Out, DyE, brothertiger, Beat Connection, etc), which is take that 80s analog synth sound and beachy aesthetic and combine them with nice backbeats and vocal melodies, strip away the fake DIY/lo-fi sound, and put together an entire collection of good, fun tunes. The album doesn't get repetitive, is paced well with lot of varying tempos from track to track, and places utilizes retro-80s vibes in a totally non-ironic, self-effacing way.
    last.fm

He admits that, as a child, he would dreamily draw up intricate floor plans for a mansion that remained forever out of his family's reach
    I thought I was the only one...

I thought their preppy attire was supposed to be, at least, in part, a joke? I've never gotten how people think that they are for real a WASP-y band... one of them is Jewish and one is fucking gay Iranian, for god's sake. These people's families wouldn't have been admitted to the country clubs everyone thinks they are dressing for.

My thoughts on Random Access Memories after a full listen through: It is overall a pretty good attempt at a retro disco/funk album, but it suffers from being extremely bloated. The first half of the album is collection of songs that either sound exactly the same (“Give Life back To Music,” {Within,” “Instant Crush”), or have really great parts, but ultimately derail into over-long, self-indulgent messes (Giorgio by “Morodor,” “Touch”). The second half of the album is surprisingly very strong, with a lot of variance in sound, and it really does end spectacularly with the one-two punch of “Doing’ it Right” and “Contact.” At 74 minutes, it’s way too long and filled with repetitive filler, but there is plenty of stuff here that I will be listening to for quite a while.
    last.fm

Random Access Memories is good, but not perfect by any means. The last two songs are the best by far. Pharell and Nile Rodgers songs were my favorites. ill have to listen to this way more.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that not everyone is falling over themselves to declare the new Daft Punk an instant classic or the future of dance music or something.