Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

I sat alone at that same Bowl show, and thought it was great.

The run of songs from I Am Trying to Break Your Heart > Art of Almost > Misunderstood > Jesus, Etc. > Handshake Drugs was the best I've seen them do. But then again, I'm a fan of the band, so lol or whatever.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    See I just told Icey in PM; I saw them in AZ in a seated venue on this last tour and it was a bit snoozy. GA at palladium was a party.
    Not sure it is necessarily venues so much as Wilco can be inconsistent live. This is why I'm not arguing with Icey; it seems quite plausible to me that the show he saw was dull. I've probably seen Wilco ten times or so; I would count two of those shows in my Top 20 Concerts Ever By Anybody list, but another in my Worst-of list.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

As I always tell people in these situations, I like noise and ambient, so you can disregard my opinion. I don't post about those albums here because I know it's not something that has interest among boardies.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a few months, so I don't know if it has been discussed but the new Mikal Cronin album is fucking great. It might be my favorite 2013 release so far.

Also, Acid Rap is tons of fun.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a few months, so I don't know if it has been discussed but the new Mikal Cronin album is fucking great. It might be my favorite 2013 release so far.
    Yep, incredible album. I wrote something about it a bit ago. He's playing the Echo soon too, for those of you in LA.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The Hollywood Bowl Wilco show was FAR from boring. It was stellar performance and a great setlist. Many people agreed it was better than the Wilco show earlier in the year. It was a perfect set to base judgment off of. He didn't like that set, he has no reason to give them a second chance.

Also, i am someone that very casually liked Wilco before I saw them live, and their live shows made me a huge fan.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    As I always tell people in these situations, I like noise and ambient, so you can disregard my opinion. I don't post about those albums here because I know it's not something that has interest among boardies.
    You're pretty proud of that, aren't you?

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Ive only seen wilco at coachella 2005. And they were a group I had have never heard of at the time.I thought they were ok but I was way more relieve that Keane was over.Was that a good set by Wilco?
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

WHEN DID THIS THREAD BECOME AS INSUFFERABLE AS ALL THE OTHERS?

Probably when TomAz entered it. Hey Tom, have you heard that Phosphorescent album? I think you might like it. Some gorgeous cosmic country influences, but you know way more about that kind of thing, so I hope I'm not embarassing myself by making that comparison. But you should check them out, granted their socio-economic background suits your preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Having talked to Paul about this three times now, and read it on these forums at least another 3 times... Paul just really does not like Wilco all that much and went to the bowl show because of joanna newsom, the tellings of great Wilco performances, and getting a good seat at the bowl. Paul is also fickle at times but in the past has shown an interest

I've seen Wilco indoors, GA, seated, outdoors, and festivals and there are always redeeming qualities to every performance, but if you don't LIKE them then its all done with to some extent.

Hope I'm not putting words in your mouth Paul, I do know you've said you like some song's recordings, but it always sounds like you just bought into something you were never going to be into from the get go. Going to check out live music is sometimes an investment of time and figuring out logistical problems (especially at the hollywood bowl) so its tough putting yourself out there to musicians you have no real vested interest in. Sometimes its a pleasant surprise, sometimes its torture.

I do wish you would not tell people Wilco is the "single most boring live band on the planet". I mean outside of boardies and friends you know that love them and enjoyed them live, you could be deterring a big fan of wilco's recorded albums from ever experiencing (what most fans say) is an awesome live show. Just say you dont like them and saw them them one time and they didn't grow on you, or similar.

Fuck I dont know why I typed this all out.

OMG LITTLE REVIEWS:

Vampire Weekend album is great, a real great step forward from them. Though, I really like the Diane Young song when I heard it as a single, it has the funkiest placement on the record. Just blasts you out of nowhere, which is a shame because the record is sequenced and flows so nicely aside from that.

The National continue to make beautiful music. This will get many spins like all of their albums have from me.

The Deerhunter record is all over the place for me. I like it all for the most part, but as a collective effort of songs it falls flat. Some of these are gonna be a riot live.

Houses' A Quiet Darkness is a lovely record, and the biggest surprise for me this year. Fantastic.

She & Him Vol 3 is more of the same with a bit of experimentation thrown in for what feels like the sake of doing so. I continue to like them but its waring thin.

New Dawes record is a great mature step for them. Doesn't have that county chintzy feel to it like their older stuff.

California X are awesome. I like them a lot. Reminds me of a bunch of metal dudes discovering Dinosaur JR for the first. Great guitar tones. PLAY LOUD.

Shaking The Habitual has a lot I like and a lot I don't. I continue to put it on a couple times a week and find something new to it every time. Still giving it the time I believe it needs.

!!!'s Thr!!!ler is great. Lots of a fun, a bit more restrained their their past records, so when they finally do hit a song's high point it lands on you like a bag of bricks. Fun fun.

Wolf is one of the greatest comedy records ever released.

LOVE Streetlight Manifesto's The Hands That Thieve. A real polished, lyrically and musically, ska album. But you probably already know about it if you like them. The acoustic counterpart to the record that Toh Kay released is also really lovely to have. Really gives you time to appreciate the beauty of his song writing and actually hear his lyrics in what I believe to be his original conviction for handing it off to the full band.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    You're pretty proud of that, aren't you?
    What? No. I'm just making the point that there's probably a million things we disagree on, and I guess I should be more guarded about the things I do say.

Also, I need to check out that !!! album. I loved them at Coachella 2011 but haven't really listened since.

Ive only seen wilco at coachella 2005. And they were a group I had have never heard of at the time.I thought they were ok but I was way more relieve that Keane was over.Was that a good set by Wilco?
    I would put it in the lower half. so-so.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I don't find Vampire Weekend boring at all. I can see someone not liking their music, but it's too peppy and uptempo to be boring. I mean, a lot of the stuff that's popular on this board would be way more likely to qualify as boring in my eyes. Some stuff that I used to consider "boring" I've warmed up to. But I don't think that's a word I ever associated with the VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Holy shit, The National's Trouble Will Find Me is brilliant. it has a lot more range and covers more ground than High Violet did - there are a lot of different types of songs with a lot of tempos on this one, and they're all beautifully composed and recorded, and lyrically it's amazing as usual too. In fact, even after just one listen, this one might be my favorite after Boxer. There is something about all of these songs that is incredibly appealing to me.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Holy shit, The National's Trouble Will Find Me is brilliant. it has a lot more range and covers more ground than High Violet did - there are a lot of different types of songs with a lot of tempos on this one, and they're all beautifully composed and recorded, and lyrically it's amazing as usual too. In fact, even after just one listen, this one might be my favorite after Boxer. There is something about all of these songs that is incredibly appealing to me.
    Listening on repeat, and completely agree. Why people keep talking about Vampire Weekend over this just baffles me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

I'm pretty sure we can manage a "The National is so fucking boring" vs. "NUH UH THEY SO AREN'T" debate for a couple of pages too.

I'm sure it will happen even without your suggestion. This place is like fucking Groundhogs Day.
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Naw, I think our resident curmudgeons are mostly National fans, so that's a non-starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The new National album is easily one of the best of the year so far, and they are exhilirating live. You won't see any complaints from me on this one.

Naw, I think our resident curmudgeons are mostly National fans, so that's a non-starter.
    *raises hand*

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Can't wait to listen!

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Second new song from Black Flag's forthcoming album, much more "hardcore" than the last one. I'm getting pretty damn excited for this album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wow, that was great. Re-excited to see them at Observatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Hey guys the Ms. Mr. album is really catchy and good. Poppy but undeniably has a confident groove. Excited to check them out at OSL.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    WHEN DID THIS THREAD BECOME AS INSUFFERABLE AS ALL THE OTHERS?

Probably when TomAz entered it. Hey Tom, have you heard that Phosphorescent album? I think you might like it. Some gorgeous cosmic country influences, but you know way more about that kind of thing, so I hope I'm not embarassing myself by making that comparison. But you should check them out, granted their socio-economic background suits your preference.
    Of all people here, Patrick, I would think you would be sensitive to class distinctions in American culture.

I actually was going to say, if someone as sensitive to that kind of shit doesn't have a problem with VW, I'm not really sure what your issue is. Which lyrics exactly are smug, rich and condescending, because I don't really have a problem with any of them just because they're not all working class invectives. That first album is fucking jam packed with insanely catchy, well written songs, which is more than most of these dull indie bands that get so much coverage can manage, so I'm giving them a pass.

As for the new album, not sure how I feel about it after one listen, it could go either way.

High Violet was my favorite album of 2010, but I think I actually like Trouble Will Find Me more. There are a lot of familiar sounds on this one, but I think it's a little more cohesive and tight. And, like every other The National album, it has lyrics that demand my attention. That's saying a lot coming from me because I'm not a lyrics guy. This is simply a gorgeous album that I can't wait to re-visit over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I actually was going to say, if someone as sensitive to that kind of shit doesn't have a problem with VW, I'm not really sure what your issue is. Which lyrics exactly are smug, rich and condescending, because I don't really have a problem with any of them just because they're not all working class invectives. That first album is fucking jam packed with insanely catchy, well written songs, which is more than most of these dull indie bands that get so much coverage can manage, so I'm giving them a pass.
    You don't think singing about going to parties on Cape Cod is rich and condescending?

You don't think having an album cover with a preppy girl with a popped collar Ralph Lauren polo shirt is rich and smug?

Must be a generational thing, because this shit just screams 'privilege' to me. flaunts it, parades it, gets right in our face with it. glad you like them though. And you're right, they are catchy and they are probably somewhat better than whatever tepid indie pop band flavor of the month you can think of.

After one listen, I'm not really feeling the new National. I'm sure that will change though. I don't put a tremendous amount of stock in my first listen of anything anymore.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I've never listened to The National besides hearing them randomly and not paying attention when they pop up on Sirius. Just starting listening to their new album now.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone