Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Please let's not revive that thread. The sex thread is bad enough right now.

I guess on topic, Minilogue's new album is massive and pretty stunning. I still haven't gotten through the whole thing fully conscious (but I've been keeping it as my drifting off soundtrack for the past few days) but it's extremely long track lengths (typical track is 15-20 mins, one is 45 min(!)) actually are merited and easy to digest. Really gorgeous, complex, emotionally resonant minimal techno. Fuck Autechre, if you're going to listen to one 2 1/2 hour electronic release this year, make it this one.

Also, while it didn't consistently impress me on first listen, I fairly enjoyed Dalhous - An Ambassador For Lang. It feels like a mix between the dark textures of Modern Love and old school IDM/ambient techno with traces of Aphex and BoC. Worth a listen at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The bass player from Vampire Weekend is Scott Baio's 2nd cousin. That is all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Ugh the last page and half of Vampire Weekend discussion all seems predicated on their reputation from previous albums and not taking City on its own terms. Look, they have the caustic reputation because of the way they rose to prominence and you can say what you will about what genres or styles they aped on those two albums. The fact of the matter is if you're taking this new album under consideration, in a vacuum without your preconceived notions, it is excellent. I think it sucks when a band can't have their work enjoyed because of the perception of what it means to enjoy it to other people might affect somebody's judgement. No one seems interested in discussing the specifics of this new album and are taking a meta approach to it instead. Hannah Hunt has one of the best moments of the year when it erupts on the coda, the lyricism across the entire album is some of the strongest I've heard this year, melodies are terrific, arrangements sparser and meticulously gorgeous, Step is a masterpiece. Think what you will about what Vampire Weekend was but this album transcends those petty complaints for me, as unpopular an opinion as that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Also, while it didn't consistently impress me on first listen, I fairly enjoyed Dalhous - An Ambassador For Lang. It feels like a mix between the dark textures of Modern Love and old school IDM/ambient techno with traces of Aphex and BoC. Worth a listen at least.
    You said all the right things to get me interested in this. But you also said this:

Fuck Autechre, if you're going to listen to one 2 1/2 hour electronic release this year, make it this one.
    Heh, I'll check out the Dalhous. Thanks for the rec.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    The bass player from Vampire Weekend is Scott Baio's 2nd cousin. That is all that matters.
    Scott Baio's second reality show filmed part of an episode at my studio several years ago. He's an asshole.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Scott Baio gave me pink eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I think this is your problem. Opinions man, we all have them, and yours is wrong.
    They had to clear the most recent single as a sample of a fucking Bread song, man.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Vampire Weekend seems like an odd band to actively hate to me. I can understand not liking them but I can't see anything about them that would inspire rage.
    Yeah, what's to hate about rich smug assholes singing dull songs about how rich and smug they are? and then getting praised out the ass by other rich smug assholes?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    They had to clear the most recent single as a sample of a fucking Bread song, man.
    I mean, I could reply with any number of Bono activities, but really just using his name should speak for itself.

I'll fully own my uncool U2 fanship, but I'm not sure how it disproves my contention -- admittedly based in the realm of opinion rather than fact -- that Vampire Weekend is boring music that is largely derivative of other boring music.

It's fine to have that opinion. I just think you're making yourself miserable because you want to. Why do you care if someone likes something you don't?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Yeah, what's to hate about rich smug assholes singing dull songs about how rich and smug they are? and then getting praised out the ass by other rich smug assholes?
    ding ding ding.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

For example I think Wilco is the single most boring live band on the planet, but I don't come up with some caricature of people who like them and their "defenses".

I'll fully own my uncool U2 fanship, but I'm not sure how it disproves my contention -- admittedly based in the realm of opinion rather than fact -- that Vampire Weekend is boring music that is largely derivative of other boring music.
    I mean, Bono. Just, Bono. And also, U2 at this point is making boring music derivative of their own boring music, so it's more of a blinders argument than anything else.

But I'll admit to being like Patrick in that I can't fathom anyone actually hating Vampire Weekend. I can understand not liking their music, but at no point have they ever put out a song that, to me anyway, has done anything that would inspire hatred. That said, I've seen them live eight times and love both albums, so I'm probably not the best person to fathom that feeling.

Wall Street banker seems like an odd profession to actively hate to me. I can understand not liking them but I can't see anything about them that would inspire OWS.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

For a lot of people, actively hating a band goes hand and hand with what they feel is having to endure constant praise for something that they personally don't like. If they heard a song or an album in a vacuum, it would be one thing because then they could just ignore it and move on to something else. But if they don't like something and then have lots of people talking about how great it is, the inability to understand that positive passion about something they feel is incredibly underwhelming no doubt feeds into that passionate negativity.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

So are you comparing hatred of Vampire Weekend to OWS because they are both completely impotent and misdirected with no real goal?

Are you claiming OWS is unjustified?

Wall Street banker seems like an odd profession to actively hate to me. I can understand not liking them but I can't see anything about them that would inspire OWS.
    So wait, Vampire Weekend uses their music to actively scam people out of large amounts of money, mismanages them and then gets off scot free? Because last time I listened to them, all I heard was inoffensive guitar pop about middle to upper class New York artistic types.

Which begs the question: do you like Paul Simon's work, and if so how do you shelter yourself from these same issues?

I think Paul Simon is right up there with Billy Joel and Don Henley.

Are you claiming OWS is unjustified?
    No, absolutely not. I was careful not to say that. But you have to admit it was not effective, and that was mainly because it had no real direction or goal.

Right. And I am not pretending my VW hatred is going to change the world. I hate them nonetheless.

I understand why people don't care for Vampire Weekend. But I like them a good deal, they make very pleasant music, and I enjoy it for what it is.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

So get a job, hippie!

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I understand why people don't care for One Direction. But I like them a good deal, they make very pleasant music, and I enjoy it for what it is.
    fixed

Nothing if not consistent, Tom.

But smug rich asshole could just as easily be applied to John Lydon at this point. I mean, look at his hair, and his treatment of former PiL members, and butter commercial. And what about David Byrne, who embodies just as many of these issues.

That criticism doesn't attach to the music to me, I guess is the problem. Claiming the songs are dull works for me, I can see that if I don't agree with it. But other than that, your criticism hasn't been about music, it's been about their image and a superficial reading of the lyrics. Do rich smug people really ride the bus? I doubt it.

Smug rich people ride the bus to be ironic and write songs about it.

John Lydon is a working class Irishman who has made a few quid off his songs. He is no overprivileged parasite ivy league fucktard.

And David Byrne doesn't have a smug bone in his body.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    For example I think Wilco is the single most boring live band on the planet, but I don't come up with some caricature of people who like them and their "defenses".
    I'm not trying to caricature you; responding to my actual aggravation with real life conversation about this band in the critical establishment. You made one response similar to the critical approach I've seen made to VW. But I didn't intend to make this about you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I mean, Bono. Just, Bono. And also, U2 at this point is making boring music derivative of their own boring music, so it's more of a blinders argument than anything else.

But I'll admit to being like Patrick in that I can't fathom anyone actually hating Vampire Weekend. I can understand not liking their music, but at no point have they ever put out a song that, to me anyway, has done anything that would inspire hatred. That said, I've seen them live eight times and love both albums, so I'm probably not the best person to fathom that feeling.
    Fair enough. Admittedly, my sense of annoyance or hatred (probably too strong of a word, and one that I qualified by recognizing it was irrational in the first instance) is more with the critical establishment than Ezra and crew, who I can successfully ignore for the most part.

U2 is boring now. They became the post 1980 Stones at some point between 2001 and 2004.

I guess on topic, Minilogue's new album is massive and pretty stunning. I still haven't gotten through the whole thing fully conscious (but I've been keeping it as my drifting off soundtrack for the past few days) but it's extremely long track lengths (typical track is 15-20 mins, one is 45 min(!)) actually are merited and easy to digest. Really gorgeous, complex, emotionally resonant minimal techno. Fuck Autechre, if you're going to listen to one 2 1/2 hour electronic release this year, make it this one.
    Yep.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I'm not trying to caricature you; responding to my actual aggravation with real life conversation about this band in the critical establishment. You made one response similar to the critical approach I've seen made to VW. But I didn't intend to make this about you at all.
    Okay, understood. I guess "attack" was too strong of a word. I just found your response a little strange because essentially all I said was "I have fun listening to them" in a different set of words.