10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Such good tunes

New Akron/Family streaming on PF:

http://pitchfork.com/advance/83-sub-verses/

I used to love these guys, but their last couple albums really fell flat for me. I'm hoping this brings back some of their spark.

I gave the new Baths a quick listen yesterday and really liked what I heard. It's definitely a darker album than Cerulean (the cover is actually a really good representation of its sound) and the songs themselves are given some extra "weight" with the live instrumentation, so he's done well to avoid the sophomore slump.

The new Ghostface is an interesting listen as well; it's an homage to Blaxplotation soundtracks like Superfly, Shaft, and The Mack, and while the musicianship is top-notch ultimately the overt storytelling approach taken doesn't really work for me. I couldn't help but compare it to Good Kid, MAAD City in this respect, as Kendrick did phenomenally well to tell a story by using the emotional aspects of each event to direct the song while Twelve Reasons to Die focuses a bit too much on the actions/events themselves for my liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

bmack mentioned it a few weeks ago, but man William Tyler's album is really spectacular. Very consistent and perfect for driving, the part when the full band kicks in at the end of that last track is especially great.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    bmack mentioned it a few weeks ago, but man William Tyler's album is really spectacular. Very consistent and perfect for driving, the part when the full band kicks in at the end of that last track is especially great.
    YES!

Here is my full review. Big ups to Jeffp1717 for having an awesome blog there full of writers I enjoy reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Fantastic review! Hit it on the head.

Endless Boogie's Long Island is pretty fucking awesome for the most part. It does have a few butt rock-type songs, but the lengthy hazy psych songs are really entrancing. This album is somewhat of a psychedelic stoner rock record - it's very repetitive a la Sleep or Electric Wizard but with psych guitar effects instead of sludge. Definitely worth a listen if any of that sounds interesting to you.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I saw them open for Yo La Tengo a couple years ago. They played two songs in 35 minutes. It was kinda fun at first, but it was definitely a case of diminishing returns.

I listened to some really fantastic albums today.

I don't post album covers in these threads unless it's something that I'm really convinced is great, and this is one of them. MV & EE (Matt Valentine and Erika Elder)'s Fuzzweed. Easily one of the best things I've heard all year. It's hard to describe this album really. Just trust me on this one. Some really amazing sounds.

Gnod's Chaudelande is a really wild album. Incredibly heavy at parts and spacey and distorted, it's an endurance test but it's well worth it.

And finally, No Joy's new one Wait for Pleasure is really excellent. Aside from a few tracks, a pretty straight-forward shoegaze record. One that fits the genre nicely, and definitely doesn't do anything new or challenging but it really doesn't matter.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I like Kurt Vile's newest. Very chill. I agree there aren't too many stand out tracks (except the first which really rocks) but yeah. I dig it.

also, Thundercat completely left off where his last album ended. Fucking amazing as usual. Can't wait to play this out all summer. "Lotus and Jondy" is brilliant... RIP Austin Peralta

I feel like this could be received as gauche but I thoroughly enjoy Young Galaxy's new album Ultramarine. It avoids the schmaltz death sentence that plagues so many electro pop acts (although the lyrics can be painfully ham-fisted at times) and creates a gorgeous atmosphere of it's own that the singer Catherine McCandless commands deftly. I also think the range is unique in how dynamic it can be; it goes from slow burner, to snake charmer, to funk and elsewhere. Interesting for an act in this genre.

Haven't had the opportunity to spend a ton of time with Thundercat yet but dude is so talented, it's really awesome to enjoy. Such attention to detail and range. Looking forward to tons more spins.

Same goes for No Joy. It gets bogged down slightly by the debt all shoegazers owe to the obvious forebears, and actually brought me back to spending more time with mbv, but is still very good on it's own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    I gave the new Baths a quick listen yesterday and really liked what I heard. It's definitely a darker album than Cerulean (the cover is actually a really good representation of its sound) and the songs themselves are given some extra "weight" with the live instrumentation, so he's done well to avoid the sophomore slump.
    Saw this and wanted to comment on the lyrics real quick. Gotta love a line like "nurse this erection back to health" haha, made me double back real quick. It's pretty sick though on a cursory listen at work, I'll hold off on any formative thoughts on the album as a whole for now though until I get to pay proper attention.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    MV & EE (Matt Valentine and Erika Elder)'s Fuzzweed. Easily one of the best things I've heard all year. It's hard to describe this album really. Just trust me on this one. Some really amazing sounds.
    I'm liking what I'm hearing on youtube. Want to give me this somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    YES!

Here is my full review. Big ups to Jeffp1717 for having an awesome blog there full of writers I enjoy reading.
    I haven't heard much new music this year but this is at or near the top of my list. Wondrous, beautiful, simultaneoul calm yet urgent. Seriously, take a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    This. I'm only halfway through, but i fucking LOVE it. It's one of those I can foresee getting even better after multiple listens, like most Deerhunter.
    Yup. I love it.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival

I thought you guys were being hyperbolic about the new-ish Omar-S, but it's pretty nice. Not my favorite electronic release of the year by far but there are a few tracks that will probably end up being among my favorites of the year.

The Shit Baby is my favorite electronic song of the year so far.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Well this is the best song of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The Shit Baby is my favorite electronic song of the year so far.
    Yea. There are some electronic tracks from this year that I like better, but they're not dance floor appropriate ones. I really want to hear this played out somewhere.

Also, for all my whining a couple of months ago that there hadn't been a lot of good releases this year... holy crap. There are already ~20 electronic releases I really love (as well as some good indie albums). This hasn't been good for my record buying habit. I actually ran out of record shelf space this week. :/

Please list these ~20 releases for my benefit.

Omar-S has got to be one of the most reliable producers working today. His stuff is always, at minimum, very good.

Been doing a ton of catch up over the last week or so. The Knife album is still settling in, but I'm glad they didn't try to just do Silent Shout v2.0. Still kind of adjusting the more tribal rhythm stuff, but it works surprisingly well. That drone track is really boring and unnecessary and the album flows much better if you just delete it from the playlist. The Timberlake is definitely way too long and ambitious, but there's some really good pop gems buried up in there. I never really got into Iron & Wine, but on first listen the new album hooked me pretty immediately. Atom TM is some wonderfully off kilter techno pop (although I could do without the "My Generation" cover), really addictive fluff that's produced like it isn't fluff at all. Thee Oh Sees is more of the same goodness, but still doesn't beat Carrion Crawler. James Blake was more enjoyable than what I read in hear led me to believe it would be. I haven't paid attention too much to Clinic since their early stuff, but the new one seems a lot more in line with the first two albums than the last few that I've heard, which is a good thing in my book. DJ Koze has some pretty goofy moments but it's nice and it's cool to see some collabs with some other techno luminaries. Waxahatchee isn't really my thing, but I'll give it a few more listens and see if it clicks. The Asphodells is another Andrew Weatherall project and while the album is perhaps a bit too long and unfocused, there's some reliably strong grooves that his name would imply.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Wow there are so many good reviews for this new Omar S. album.Being lazy is it on Spotify, Soundcloud, or can someone send it to me/group it.

EDIT : THANK YOU!
    Last edited by getbetter; 04-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

^group'd

Steve Manson's new album is pretty nice. His voice is soothing but I have yet to listen to the album all the way through without feeling like I need to take a nap.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

A Quiet Darkness by Houses is a really interesting concept album recorded in a series of different abandoned houses. The album is really a blend of a lot of genres, dark and moody, and extremely lush. Beautiful haunting vocal melodies are backed by shoegazy, swirling guitars and dense soundscapes. it's honestly a lot to take to take, but upon only one listen, I loved the entire thing from start to finish.

If you'd like to listen to the whole album, as well as check out more details on the concept and how it was made, there is a great feature on Huffington Post (as well as a streaming player)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3045944.html
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post

How do you like your eggs?

New Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes album is coming out July 23rd.

Really diggin the soul and old school vibes on Chance the Rappers new mixtape. Production is solid, flows are funny, I'm still getting acquainted but highly recommend you scoop it off datpiff.

Portugal. The Man has a presale on their new album "Evil Friends" going on right now

http://store.portugaltheman.com/

They killed the sunset time slot on the outdoor stage this year at Coachella. They rocked three new songs during the set (Sea of Voices, Purple Yellow Red and Blue, and Evil Friend) which are all going to be on this new album.
    Last edited by TheRotten42; 05-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Supre doesnt know since he's usually in the bathroom going away at the glory hole. Noms Nom nom noms oooooo i'm taking a picture of that beast....****snap*** back to yum yums nom nom noms

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post

Good god I've had this song stuck in my head all week.