Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

shaking the habitual is currently blowing my mind, in a way i didnt think it would.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I couldn't make it through one listen without switching it off... I guess The Knife isn't for me.
    After all the hype I was expecting to enjoy it, instead it got on my nerves.
    I'm a huge fan of the Knife and I could barely make it through listening to it in one sitting. It's a 98 minute behemoth of a record and it will take some time to get fully into it for me just like the Swans album was. Definately need to take this album one track at a time but my first whole listen blew my mind.
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    Anyone saying the new James Blake is lackluster is probably listening to it on laptop speakers
    It is just shit whatever way you listen to it

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So, guitars unless they're in the genre most known for guitars, rock music unless it's too rock. I'm tryin' man, I'm tryin'.

But if you happen to enjoy Fucked Up at all, Kvelertak's album would be up your alley. There are a few moments in the album that directly remind me of The Chemistry of Common Life.
    I can't remember what it is called but Fucked up only have 1 good song

Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    Anyone saying the new James Blake is lackluster is probably listening to it on laptop speakers
    Nope. This is album is dull. It's in no way comparable to his earlier releases.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

boo to all of u

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Nope. This is album is dull. It's in no way comparable to his earlier releases.
    9.1 average right now by metacritic, so you're in the minority. Listen to this record people
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

new James Blake is good. Can't and shouldn't be compared to the eps, they were just a lot different. Can't wait to hear it on better speakers. Hopefully i'll have a shot at seeing him on the polo fields a week from now, but i'm sure he will tour extensively for this just like last time.

the new Kurt Vile album is fantastic.

Group please? I have high hopes, but he's going to have to do something HUGE to get to the same level as Smoke Rings for me. That album is pretty much perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

It's been mentioned before but the new Flaming Lips album is excellent. Was not expecting anything special but they really delivered on this one. Forget any expectations you have for the album and go listen to it.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Group please? I have high hopes, but he's going to have to do something HUGE to get to the same level as Smoke Rings for me. That album is pretty much perfect.
    alright I grouped it, hopefully I did that right...I'm looking forward to hearing what you think, I'm not sure how it compares to smoke rings just yet, but i'm liking it a lot

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    9.1 average right now by metacritic, so you're in the minority. Listen to this record people
    Yes, listen to the record and love it because it's James Blake and you should love everything he releases. THE CRITICS LOVE IT AND SO SHOULD YOU.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    It's been mentioned before but the new Flaming Lips album is excellent. Was not expecting anything special but they really delivered on this one. Forget any expectations you have for the album and go listen to it.
    Which Lips album is it stylistically most similar to? I was meaning to check it out until a scathing review scared me off.
    8/9-11 - Outside Lands 8/24 - Godflesh & Jucifer 9/3 - Loma Prieta 9/6 - Church of Ra 9/28 - Jesu & JK Flesh 10/11 - Carcass 10/27 - At the Gates

In a big surprise to myself, after three listens of the new Colin Stetson album, one of the songs with Justin Vernon on vocals (falsetto and all) is the one that keeps playing over in my head - and it's a good thing.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by sunn-bro View Post
    Which Lips album is it stylistically most similar to? I was meaning to check it out until a scathing review scared me off.
    The darker instrumental driven portions of The Soft Bulletin is the only thing I can really think of that The Terror resembles. Maybe some of the work here and there from the many 2012 EPs, but so much more refined. Amazing album. An experience each time I've listened to it. My favorite from the year so far.

Kinda awesome Matador is releasing new Queens of the Stone Age. Anyone wanna guess what might be an Indie Exclusive LP? 160 gram disc since it's $23 lol...

...Like Clockwork - (Standard) Dbl LP
    $22.00

...Like Clockwork - (Indie Exclusive) Dbl LP
    $23.00

...Like Clockwork - Deluxe Dbl LP
    $35.00

...Like Clockwork - CD
    $12.00

...Like Clockwork
    - Standard Dbl LPs include the album on two 150 gram discs playing at 45rpm.
    - Indie Exclusive LP details to come shortly.

- Deluxe Dbl LPs include the album on two high-quality 180 gram discs housed in an ultra thick cover and containing a 20 page 12x12 book.

All LP versions contain an MP3 coupon.
    http://store.matadorrecords.com/like-clockwork

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

The Shouting Matches record is streaming on NPR

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

I thought that Shouting Matches record was pretty meh, nothing really stood out on first listen aside from a few of the extended jams. I'll give it another shot though, especially once it's out in true quality.

As for James Blake - sophomore slump, lulz. Not at all. I think it's a big improvement over his s/t, and I liked that record a lot. This one has a lot more depth musically, and for me, connects on a much deeper emotional level as well. Every tune is just so lush. Probably my favorite thing released this year so far.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

I have never listened to much James Blake and I'm listening to both albums. The new one is standing out much more, though I really liked The Wilhelm Scream.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Shouting Matches - http://thesavoia.com/2013/04/08/the-...album-release/

Definitely cool seeing Justin Vernon doing something a bit different. Some are saying it's nothing special but I've been more and more impressed with each listen through. I especially think their live performance will be unreal.
    Don't follow me, I walk into walls.

Either this Deerhunter album is going to take some serious getting used to, or Josh really fucked this band when he left.

Ah that's not what I wanted to hear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Either this Deerhunter album is going to take some serious getting used to, or Josh really fucked this band when he left.
    It's weird. I'll say that. Part of it reminds me of The Walkmen. Part of it reminds me of T-Rex. I was expecting something completely different based on the Black Lips calling it "the most punk record ever".
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I disagree with Chris. It's not what I would expect from Deerhunter, but then again, Halcyon Digest wasn't what I expected from Deerhunter either. There are still tons of great melodies, and the sheer level of fuzz, noise and gunk on all the songs makes me very happy. I can't say yet whether or not it's a strong album, but it's by no means a failure, and unlike some other high profile releases from this year, it's not boring or a retread.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

yeah, the Shouting Matches record is pretty lackluster. they should be pretty killer live though.

not quite sure what to think of the new Indicud...

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

and unlike some other high profile releases from this year, it's not boring or a retread.
    One of the more humorous reoccurrences in this thread has been how you continuously crucify Nick Cave's album for being a retread, while refusing to acknowledge that the MBV album is doing just that.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Kurt Vile's new album is a goddamn masterpiece. I had only listened to the stream a little while back, while on my computer and not paying full attention. Today I gave it a chance to really air out on a long drive, and it was incredible. With several tracks clocking in between the 6-10 minute marks, it's a much more sprawling and lengthy effort than Smoke Ring For My Halo was, and to me it's also a more consistent record. At the moment it seems that SRFMH had better individual songs (none of the tracks on this quite reach the nirvana of Jesus Fever, In My Time, Peeping Tomboy, etc.), but I think this is a better overall record. It's dreamier, and prettier, and more lush than his last one or even the ones before that, and it's best put on when you have time to really sink into the hammock that it creates.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I would have a hard time saying that Walking On A Pretty Daze is a better than or even as good as Smoke Ring For My Halo, but it is indeed very, very good. It definitely works as a single, flowing cohesive piece very well, whereas to me, Smoke Ring was an incredible collection of amazing songs (though a very sonically cohesive collection). The production is better this time around without completely changing his sound, and I do agree on the use of the descriptors "pretty" and "dreamy." Oddly enough, with the length of the songs less immediacy with very memorable lines and hooks, i feel like this one is much more accessible than the last one as well.

i'd also like to mention Rival Schools Found . Immediately it is very obvious that this was written and recorded very close to United by Fate. The production is very similar, if even a bit thinner (this might be due to listening to a low bitrate leak), and the rhythm section is very choppy abrasive, almost a bit more like a Quicksand record than the first RS album was. The biggest thing to notice here is Walter's singing voice - in more recent years he has smoothed his voice out quite a bit and sings much prettier and with a lot more control. It's actually really refreshing to hear his voice with full rasp again. It's a really terrific listen all the way through, even though it doesn't have all the variation that the songs of the original album had.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Kinda awesome Matador is releasing new Queens of the Stone Age. Anyone wanna guess what might be an Indie Exclusive LP? 160 gram disc since it's $23 lol...

http://store.matadorrecords.com/like-clockwork

Read somewhere it may be a different color vinyl or different cover for indie record stores.