Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

I've listened to the James Blake album twice now, the first three songs are really good. The track with RZA is not good, and aside from Digital Lion it kinda loses me after that.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I just finished my first listen and it owned me in all the best ways

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Listened to a proper rip of Thee Oh Sees' new one. Hot damn. So good! Not as consistent as Carrion Crawler/The Dream but much more consistent than Castlemania and especially their last one. I Come From the Mountain, the opening track, is such a barnburner. I wasn't necessarily planning on catching them at Coachella as I've seen them twice in the past year, but the album's so damn good I might have to.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    James Blake/Kendrick Lamar collaboration soon?

2 overrated jackasses together.

The best album I have heard this year is the new BRMC and Men albums. Only listened to the new MBV album once so early to judge. The new British Sea Power is ok but nothing great.

Also, if you're in the mood for a change of pace, Jerusalem In My Heart's Mo7it Al-Mo7it is an interesting listen. It's an instrumental Middle Eastern album with some really hypnotic sitar (I think?) playing. I'm not the world music expert, and the album isn't anything I'll likely revisit anytime soon, but I enjoyed it.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I love the fucking track with RZA, one of my favorites on the album... Really impressed with Blake's maturation, the lyrics and the production, everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I love the fucking track with RZA, one of my favorites on the album... Really impressed with Blake's maturation, the lyrics and the production, everything.
    Yep. The RZA track is nasty... Like an OG Wu beat updated with some James Blake rhythms.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Yep. The RZA track is nasty... Like an OG Wu beat updated with some James Blake rhythms.
    The first thing that came to mind was "God I miss that old Wu Tang shit"... I almost thought Rza had gone back to his production roots, would have never guessed Blake produced it. I was also really impressed with his production on the bonus track, he uses a sick Big Boi sample on that... Had no idea Blake had that much range as a producer.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Hopefully it gets better with repeated listens, but the new James Blake is very sophomore slumpy feeling.
    FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from it. This record was absolutely moving during my first listen. The progression he has made is incredible. I'm really hoping to I get to see him perform
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Is anyone else stoked on this new Rival Schools album that isn't new at all? Because I am. Jiving nicely with my current Quicksand obsession too.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Is anyone else stoked on this new Rival Schools album that isn't new at all? Because I am. Jiving nicely with my current Quicksand obsession too.
    Wait, WHAT? I don't know anything about this
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by darklands View Post
    2 overrated jackasses together.

The best album I have heard this year is the new BRMC and Men albums. Only listened to the new MBV album once so early to judge. The new British Sea Power is ok but nothing great.
    Inter Arma and Kvelertak put out two of the best albums of this year so far. Both metal, both very different.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I have not heard this yet. Intrigued though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Wait, WHAT? I don't know anything about this
    http://rivalschools.net/

I guess this is the album they recorded after United By Fate but never released. I just preordered a copy. I've only heard one song but it's very them.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I have not heard this yet. Intrigued though.
    Again, only heard one track via a stream through Rolling Stone, but it sounds just like Rival Schools.

I am craaaaazy stoked about this! Comes out April 9th, self-released. hopefully they tour again soon! Seeing Rival Schools and Quicksand finally, and so close to each other, was so amazing these past couple years. Walter is one of my favorite song-writers. i had a ticket to see Rival Schools back in 2001 at the Troubadour with onelinedrawing, and they canceled the day of, then broke up like a month later. I was so bummed.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I missed Quicksand at FYF last year and at the Regency this year for various reasons. I keep kicking myself because I am currently obsessed, but what can you do.

It seems like both bands will be a working concern to some extent going forward though. Which is awesome.

Oh man, Quicksand killed it at FYF.

Quicksand was amazing at FYF, but going to their headlining show at the Fonda at the very last second in January was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Such an amazing set.
    last.fm

I forget why I missed them at FYF. I was just so exhausted for before their Regency show that there was no way I could have done it. I really regret it, but I'm hoping they keep playing shows on occasion.

I only saw Quicksand for the last 20 minutes or so but what I saw of them was awesome

Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Inter Arma and Kvelertak put out two of the best albums of this year so far. Both metal, both very different.

Metal music is horrible

Anyone saying the new James Blake is lackluster is probably listening to it on laptop speakers

Listened to a proper rip of Thee Oh Sees' new one. Hot damn. So good! Not as consistent as Carrion Crawler/The Dream but much more consistent than Castlemania and especially their last one. I Come From the Mountain, the opening track, is such a barnburner. I wasn't necessarily planning on catching them at Coachella as I've seen them twice in the past year, but the album's so damn good I might have to.
    THIS. cant wait.

So, first listen of Overgrown... wow, this album is dense. I really like it, but there's just SO much going on that I will definitely have to spend a lot of time with it to really get a better handle on everything. I like that it isn't as sparse as his debut.

The new The Knife album is currently blowing my mind

This album is insane. I can't get enough of it. I always liked Thee Oh Sees, but never loved them. Floating Coffin, however, I love. In my opinion, it is their best. They were a "maybe" on my Coachella list until I listened to this album and now they are a must see for me. "Night Crawler" is easily one of the best songs I have heard this year and I completely agree about "I Came From The Mountain" being a killer opening.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by darklands View Post
    Metal music is horrible
    So, guitars unless they're in the genre most known for guitars, rock music unless it's too rock. I'm tryin' man, I'm tryin'.

But if you happen to enjoy Fucked Up at all, Kvelertak's album would be up your alley. There are a few moments in the album that directly remind me of The Chemistry of Common Life.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    The new The Knife album is currently blowing my mind
    I couldn't make it through one listen without switching it off... I guess The Knife isn't for me.
    After all the hype I was expecting to enjoy it, instead it got on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I couldn't make it through one listen without switching it off... I guess The Knife isn't for me.
    After all the hype I was expecting to enjoy it, instead it got on my nerves.
    They change quite a bit from album to album.

Upcoming shows
    Events

The title track on Colin Stetson's new album - the 15 minute epic "To See More Light" - is monstrous, noisy, intricate, and I would even say a true tour de force. Holy shit.