Page 16 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Golden Grrrls - s/t I have been enjoying lately and have listened to their album a handful of times and would relate them to the Vaselines.
    Props for listening to this. Pretty awesome record.

Also, everyone should check out the new Wax Idols record. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyMBeck View Post
    yeah its really great, if you ever get the chance to see them live do so. super fun and the guitarist is super stonesy
    Ill wait till Coachella'14

I "Might" but probly just save my money but Golden grrrls are opening up for Brilliant Colors who is opening up for Veronica falls at the troubadour which i have only been to the venue once but very tempted to make out for.
    Last edited by getbetter; 03-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Perfume Genius @ The Independent 10/21/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

Veronica Falls are great live. Their new album is also one of my favorite things thus far this year. I'd hit up that show if I were you. The Troubadour would be a great spot for that show.

Um, wow. midcity by clipping. is a real beast of a record. I had read comparisons to Death Grips before listening to it, and aside from the fact that they both fall in the experimental hip hop category, there's really no comparison. If you can't handle abrasive noise at times, stay away from this album. If I had to make a comparison myself, I'd say it's almost exactly what a collaboration between Shabazz Palaces and Merzbow would sound like. Some real out there stuff, unlike anything I've heard before, but it works.

Here's a sample:

10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Just listened to the new Bowie! It's fantastic and up there with his best work I'd say. But woah... this is one dense record. I can't wait to spend more time with it

10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory
    11/7 Dean Blunt @ Jewel's Catch One

The new Clinic album is killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    The new Clinic album is killer.
    The OPN remixes?
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Ah, you're right. I thought it was new. Regardless, it's quite good.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I think it's actually OPN's original mix of the album (except for the two songs that retained those mixes on the first release-those have been remixed.) I'm very interested in listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yes, it is Lopatin's original mix of the album. I am also very interested in this. It's not often that one gets to compare two totally different mixes of an album - from the outside it's very easy to not be entirely clear on what exactly goes into mixing a recording. Every time I do get to hear different people's take on mixing the same thing I am pretty fascinated.

EDIT: I still haven't gotten around to listening to this yet, but last year, Justin K Broadrick released the original mix of the self-titled Jesu album. Originally it was given more of a "pop" mix - then was dumped for what would eventually become Jesu's signature sound.

You can hear it here:
    http://jesu.bandcamp.com/album/jesu-...riginal-vision

And read Justin's thought about it here:
    http://justinkbroadrick.blogspot.com...-disc-mix.html

Similarly, in 2011, Iroha, a Final/Jesu side project, released their self-titled debut as a double disc with 2 entirely different mixes - one by Broadrick, that in turn makes the album sound exactly like a Jesu album.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 03-17-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I'm really digging the new Ducktails. Lotta lo-fi poppy jams, and the vocals sound kind of shitty but damn it's catchy.

It took me a while to get past the first two Rhye tracks, but I'm really starting to enjoy it much more with the foggy weather. It still has uneven points, but the highs are just fucking jams.

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I made a Best of 2012 Spotify collaborative playlist and liked hearing what folks added to it so I am going to do it again for 2013, starting now.

2013 Collaborative Playlist

There's not much there now, which is why I'm looking for input. I think the playlist can handle two songs per artist but if you choose one please let someone else choose the other. Please don't delete anything.

Yay?
    I'm going to be adding to this as I listen to more new music in the near future. I just put in a track from that completely excellent Hookworms album.

^^^YES. I missed Johns original post.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Do we want to limit the playlist to rock/pop, which seems to be the majority of the stuff that's in there right now. Because I have some electronic and metal that I would like people to hear, but it feels out of place given the current submissions.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Has anyone heard The Popstrangers record? 3 guys from New Zealand touching different kinds of 90s style indie/alternative rock. Remind me of Autolux a bit. I'm digging it.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    Has anyone heard The Popstrangers record? 3 guys from New Zealand touching different kinds of 90s style indie/alternative rock. Remind me of Autolux a bit. I'm digging it.
    No, but this description is certainly appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Do we want to limit the playlist to rock/pop, which seems to be the majority of the stuff that's in there right now. Because I have some electronic and metal that I would like people to hear, but it feels out of place given the current submissions.
    I'd say go for it. The more the merrier?

Andrew, I've forgotten a few things you recommended I listen to. Could you give me/those of us who read this thread a brief rundown of some of your favorite things this year so far? Thanks

They're pretty cool. Signed to carpark. Nothing earth shattering but they can write some cool hooks.

------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

The 20/20 Experience part 2 is coming out in November says JT at the el rey tonight.

The new Marnie Stern record is really great and it put a smile on my face. I quite disappointed in her last album and without Zack Hill on this one, I wasn't sure what to expect at all. Its definitively a top heavy album, as it seems like the few songs lack to spark the first 3/4 of the album has, but it is still great. I am pleased.

Also, I haven't listened to the new Flaming Lips record yet, but I want to buy their 2LP deluxe edition pre-order right now. Some one tell me the record is great and worth my money. (Also, for the record, side 4 of the 2LP is a Dan Deacon remix... of the ENTIRE album. Way too awesome).
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Does Her album pick up where Marnie Stern left off. Like a little toned down and catchier?
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Also, I haven't listened to the new Flaming Lips record yet, but I want to buy their 2LP deluxe edition pre-order right now. Some one tell me the record is great and worth my money. (Also, for the record, side 4 of the 2LP is a Dan Deacon remix... of the ENTIRE album. Way too awesome).
    I'll go there, and make your expectations impossibly high, but its their best release since The Soft Bulletin. I don't say this lightly. You should definitely wait to hear a proper rip preferably your soon to be pre-ordered vinyl.

Andrew, I've forgotten a few things you recommended I listen to. Could you give me/those of us who read this thread a brief rundown of some of your favorite things this year so far? Thanks
    Hm, let's see. First off, not all of this list is from this year. But most is, and if it isn't, it was because I discovered it this year.

Definitely check out the new Follakzoid and Holydrug Couple records. The new Veronica Falls, Girls Names and Wax Idols records are fantastic. I think you would enjoy Golden Grrrls as well. Synthetic ID are a local punk band who fucking rock...their 7" is stronger than the album though, but the album isn't bad.

The California X record is heavy and hooky. I'm kind of obsessed with the new Iceage record.

Banque Allemande are this super minimal punk band from Germany who rock really hard and have two rad records. Monoshock was a band from the '90s and this label I buy from all the time (SS Records) just put out a comp of their stuff. Think Stooges + Hawkwind, although that's simplifying it a bit. I think you would like Spray Paint as well...the have two awesome 7" on SS from last year and their full-length came out this year. Much more angular punk. Fucking rocks.

There's a wonderful comp called Rocket Infinity: The Global Rise of Rocking Music, 1942-62 that is worth your time. Also, a reissue by this band called the Readymades that came out on Mt. St. Mtn is fucking great punk rock.

I'm sure there is more, but that's all I can remember at the moment.

They're pretty cool. Signed to carpark. Nothing earth shattering but they can write some cool hooks.

I liked those two jams a lot. I will check them out further, thanks.

Banque Allemande and Monoshock were the two I couldn't remember. Thanks man! I've either heard or queued up most of the rest of those already, but I'll snag the ones I'm not yet familiar with.

Awesome. Let me know what you think!

Why is Marnie Stern so fucking screechy

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Does Her album pick up where Marnie Stern left off. Like a little toned down and catchier?
    Yes. I am surprised Josh didn't like the last full length, because this one is very much in the same vein. This is what i wrote about it a week or 2 ago:

Marnie Stern's The Chronicles of Marnia is very good! If you are not familiar with Marnie, she writes awesome pop songs and plays guitar with extremely complex and noodley aplomb. The drums are generally pretty bombastic as well. her song structures are all over the place, but she has been restraining herself from album to album, and though this one still rocks very hard, it's quite accessible. For people who have been following her, it's clear that her stuff probably never going to be quite as frenetic as what she was doing on her EPs, but as we saw on her self-titled full length, she was quite capable at dialing it down without sacrificing the same feeling she did in those earlier releases. i believe this is the first time Zack Hill has not played drums on one her recordings, but Oneida's Kid Millions is a more than worthy replacement. The bottom line is, if you like Marnie Stern, you will more than likely like The Chronicles of Marnia.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

DJ Rashad's new EP on Hyperdub, Rollin', is fucking excellent; he's really pushing this somewhat limiting genre (juke/footwork) into new and quite interesting directions.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I'm going to be adding to this as I listen to more new music in the near future. I just put in a track from that completely excellent Hookworms album.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    It has been limited because I have been the only one adding to it. (I should note that I added a bunch after listening to Rob's monthly mixes, so really he added by proxy).

The 2012 playlist had music from many different genres.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock