Page 14 of 71 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Dublicator - Deep Sea Exploration is sexy as fuckkkkk - real smooth dub techno. Mm, delicious
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Well I didn't know where to post this but if you have some down time, I highly suggest listening to some of these...

After receiving a few requests from interested readers to re-up portions of this series, I decided that featuring the entire collection of webcasts in one post would help to bring some attention to this marvelous historical narrative. Several years ago, Arkestra member and official Sun Ra archivist, Michael D. Anderson, "The Good Doctor," enhanced the ESP-Disc website with a 14-hour Sun Ra retrospective. In this unprecedented audio documentary, The Good Doctor presents a timeline of Sun Ra's career featuring both classic releases and unheard nuggets from the Archive. The tribute is divided into 6 parts, each approximately 2 hours for a total of 14 hours of amazing information and music. Throughout the broadcasts, Michael D. Anderson relates biographical information about Ra and shares many anecdotes of his time with the Arkestra; I find these are particularly interesting and entertaining.

A few of my favorite moments from these broadcasts have already been featured here. You might remember Rusty Morgan's "Blame Shame" or the Arkestra's remarkable performances of I Roam the Cosmos (if you missed these, rectify!). There are plenty more incredible rarities peppered throughout these broadcasts. If you are interested in reviewing the playlist for each segment, please click the 'part #' below each stream to be whisked away to the original post where you will find newly refreshed download options. Each post features the original master tape offered in both FLAC and 320k mp3 as well as an mp3 audio stream of the show.

If listening to the entire transmission in one sitting doesn't suit your schedule, please consider bookmarking this page so that you can easily return for future listens. Or if you happen to have 14 hours to spare... click & enjoy!
    http://fromnowherehere.blogspot.de/2...-hrs-in-6.html

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Dublicator - Deep Sea Exploration is sexy as fuckkkkk - real smooth dub techno. Mm, delicious
    This is very chill, thanks for the rec.

I don't like it but Jamaica Queens' Wormfood sounds influence by Animal Collective and then mixed with dubstep.
    Last edited by getbetter; 03-11-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I've enjoyed listening to Devendra Banhart's new one Mala. It's quite subdued and in ways reminds me of the last Destroyer album in terms of its use of soft rock tropes, but it still contains the eccentricities which I love about Devendra's work. I feel like it's a bit front-loaded and I'm not so sure that the emphasis on electronic instruments really works on every track, but I think it's a solid album nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

new Four Tet is lovely little bit of house/jazz elements/soulful vocals

https://soundcloud.com/four-tet/for-these-times

ps Listen to Black Pus too
    http://pitchfork.com/advance/44-all-my-relations/

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Jesus, was there no one in the room with the ability to say, "hey, Justin, maybe we shouldn't run 8 of the 10 tracks past the 6:50 mark?"

I like it, some of it a lot, but the excessive run times -- often with little pay off -- virtually scream out "calculated move to 'high art' to avoid pressure of following up success of last album, large gap in time since it was released."
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Sounds like The 20/20 Experience leaked?

It's on an iTunes stream, but I imagine rips will be up soon.

”lafur Arnalds' new one is pretty spectacular. There's vocals in this one, which threw me off at first. But, they work on top of the great instrumentation. "Reclaim" is likely going to throw some of you long-term fans. I think that track, and the whole album, is a nice evolution for him. Just don't listen to this at the gym.

Golden Grrrls - s/t I have been enjoying lately and have listened to their album a handful of times and would relate them to the Vaselines.
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

Listened to a couple new ones today in full.

After a second spin, the new Besnard Lakes album is good but isn't quite as triumphant as the last one, and not as good as the one prior either. That being said, At Midnight is completely astonishing and is among the best tunes they've penned up to this point.

The Youth Lagoon album is...fine. It's really pretty to listen to, and a few of the songs really kill (especially the last one). I'm not sure why people go crazy about this guy, though. Pretty much the same reaction I had to the first album, decent enough but nothing extraordinary.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Loooooooving the new JT album. Haven't heard a bum song yet, halfway thru. He was also awesome on Fallon last night performing "Pusher Love Girl". I guess he's performing every day this week.

"Spaceship Coupe" is the fucking jam
    Last edited by ods..; 03-12-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Yeah, just listened to the whole JT and I love it. I dig the long, stretched out jams. Almost some ambient tendencies. The vibe is less urban and more classic soul crossed with spacey shit.

Aren't tastemakers calling that "future" or "future soul"? There's a subgenre for everything these days.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I dunno why it took me so long to listen to the new Actress but goddamn. amazing

Other EPs and Singles that have been awesome this morning: Amit's "Acid Trip / Don't Forget Your Roots", LAS "Zaikedelic / Preaching" and Ciara's fucking "Body Party". And no, I'm not kidding. The first two are deep and dirty, go find them. They're not on youtube yet

edit: and Charles Bradley delivers a beautiful fucking second LP how could I forget.

Now that I've listened to the new MBV a few times, I have to say, I'm not really *that* enthusiastic about it. I'm sure it will grow on me more over time but it's pretty average compared to what I'd expect from them. But I've not really liked most of the things I've listened to so far this year. Of about 20 albums that I've checked out, I only really, really like Darkstar's News from Nowhere, Mountains's Centralia, and Mano Le Tough's Changing Days. The remixes on Depeche Mode's "Heaven" single are pretty dope, though.

Drew, I have that Olafur Arnalds album queued up, surprised to see you've checked that out. I'm betting I'll really like it.

ods.., was it you who mentioned that you've been much more taken with the singles/EPs that have been released this year than full-length albums (so far)? I'd have to agree with that. Lots of singles that I'm really into. Most of the albums I've listened to though have fallen a little flat... lots of stuff where I loved 2-3 tracks, didn't care for the rest.

Steve Mason's Monkey Minds in the Devil Time is such a ride of album in the sense I will be enjoying the album then in dips into a song that I wont like then some cool sound bit and so on.
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Now that I've listened to the new MBV a few times, I have to say, I'm not really *that* enthusiastic about it. I'm sure it will grow on me more over time but it's pretty average compared to what I'd expect from them.

Drew, I have that Olafur Arnalds album queued up, surprised to see you've checked that out. I'm betting I'll really like it.
    I feel the same way about the MBV album. But, they are more of a live act for me anyway and I will be first in line once they finally tour.

Yeah, this was the first Arnalds album that finally stuck with me. Maybe I'll revisit his older stuff, but I know I've given it a try a couple/few times to no avail. This one, however, is pretty special. Since we share the old-skool industrial appreciation...have you checked out the new KFMFDM? It's a fun listen and fills the industrial gap for me...until NIN returns.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    ods.., was it you who mentioned that you've been much more taken with the singles/EPs that have been released this year than full-length albums (so far)? I'd have to agree with that. Lots of singles that I'm really into. Most of the albums I've listened to though have fallen a little flat... lots of stuff where I loved 2-3 tracks, didn't care for the rest.
    Yup. There are so many singles this year that I've been playing out. Check out Amit's and LAS; you'd dig em.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I will have to check out that Arnalds album - I LOVED ...And They Have Escaped the Weight of Darkness.

Also, i haven't listened to KMFDM since Hau Ruck...I was surprised to see how regularly they've still been putting out albums. i'm curious about the new one.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Geez - I haven't checked out the KMFDM album yet but it's on the list. The list gets longer every day, while my free time to listen to them grows shorter. Glad to hear it gets a positive review from you. (I figured you, me and Drinkey would be the only ones to take notice of that release). How did you feel about the collaboration between Olafur Arnalds and Nils Frahm last year? (Stare). That EP was probably my favorite release of the year last year.

ods..- will do.

I don't know what the fuck is going on in the new Brandt Brauer Frick album. Not really fan upon first listen. Feels rather scattered and reaching for palatable eclecticism but achieving scattered nonsense. The Nina Kraviz track is particularly off putting.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

^ Yeah, it's (sadly) a rather jumbled mess of an album. "Plastic Like Your Mother" is pretty good though.

I am going have to give The Virgins' Strike Gently another listen since my recommendation I got refers to Richard Hell's work.Yet I though it was boring to listen to and felt like a modern Indie band trying to relive some late 70s/early 80s rock band.

Edit:There is great guitar work on this album i have noticed on my second listen.
    Last edited by getbetter; 03-13-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    Translation

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14

Last.fm

Who the hell does this guy think he is?

Originally released across three free mixtapes - House of Balloons (FACTís #1 album of that year), Thursday and Echoes of Silence - in 2011, Trilogy was eventually collected as a triple-disc album in 2012, though until now thereís been no vinyl pressing.

The Weekndís official website, however, now features a pre-order option for a Trilogy vinyl box-set, priced at $199.99 and featuring all the loot pictured below (yeah, we wish the shots were bigger too). Itís due on March 26, limited to 500 signed copies.
    http://www.factmag.com/2013/03/12/th...ix-lp-box-set/

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

There are 500 people out there who will pay for this.

I haven't listened to much new music this year, but I just got around to 3 albums I've been looking forward to.

I thought the Atoms for Peace album was a little stale. I'm sure I'll listen again to see if anything pops out, but I was underwhelmed upon first listen. I enjoyed The Besnard Lakes album, but I agree with TallGuy that it's not quite as good as the one before it. It's less dynamic, and doesn't have as many "whoa" moments. Still decent, though. The new Foals is awesome. Easily my favorite of the three I listened to yesterday. It seems like they've really matured since their first two releases. More depth and more things to chew on.

The new Nick Cave album is in queue. We'll see when I have time, what with all this college basketball to be watched.

The Woolen Men S/t on the Woodsist label is some super nice psych jam/lo fi punky jangle shit. Nothing groundbreaking, but I enjoyed it.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival