Page 12 of 71 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

The Haxan Cloak's album is menacingly rhythmic in just about the best way possible. It calls to mind a more aggressive combination of Demdike Stare and Andy Stott, which is definitely making me a happy panda right now.
    Last edited by Jman4321; 03-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

I'm releasing my 2nd album, Nomsan?, later this month. Yes, nobody has ever heard of me, you can be the first one www.adrienneleasa.com

Palma Violets debut is very good. It reminds me alot of Parquet Courts but not as tongue in cheek as PQ. Not that either of those are bad 'cause both albums are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    I know nothing about your taste in music, but if that is something you enjoy, and if you've ever been a fan of metal, I would recommend you jump all over Ihsahn's Eremita immediately. If the beginning of this track doesn't do anything for you, jump to the 3 minute mark and I think you'll see where I'm coming from...

Thanks! I'll check this out later after work!

4/21 Avey Tare @ Bowery
    4/22 Woods @ Baby's All Right
    4/24 Factory Floor @ MHOW
    4/25 Modeselektor @ Sankeys
    4/26 Cell Injection @ Spektrum
    4/27 Moderat @ 1260
    4/28 Danny Tenaglia @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Pfft, it's called discretion. I suppose you all want to hear my love for the new Merzbow too?
    There are enough fans of every type of music here, especially more off the wall/obscure stuff, that I think it's more worth mentioning these types of releases as a recommendation than others. Before you mentioned it on Facebook, I didn't even realize there was a new Merzbow release.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Okay. I'll write something up tonight!
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

The Sound City album is streaming on NPR, scroll down for the individual tracks: http://www.npr.org/2013/03/03/172990...l?refresh=true

I am biased as a huge Josh Homme fan, but the 3 songs he's on are great. Getting ready to check out the rest. Favorites so far are: Mantra, such a great track, amazing build up(with Homme, Reznor and Grohl), A Trick With No Sleeve(with Homme, Grohl and Alain Johannes), and Centipede, up there with Mantra as the favorites, could be a total Queens song(with Homme, Grohl, Johannes, and Chris Goss)

The part in the doc with Grohl, Reznor, and Homme was pretty great to watch. Love Reznor talking about all the amazing tools available these days that weren't around 5 years or 30 years ago. Asks now that everyone is empowered with these tools has there been a lot more great stuff coming out, with his answer being "not really".
    Last edited by JustSteve; 03-04-2013 at 10:09 AM.

The new Bowie is fucking awesome.

I have to listen to Youth Lagoon a few more times. It's good, but I still feel that it's slightly underwhelming in the sense that it sounds so much like his first release to me that I can hardly differentiate between the two.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

The new Bowie is fucking awesome.
    I came in here to type this exact sentence.

I have to listen to Youth Lagoon a few more times. It's good, but I still feel that it's slightly underwhelming in the sense that it sounds so much like his first release to me that I can hardly differentiate between the two.
    I still have to listen a few more times too, but I actually have the opposite opinion. I feel like it sounds a lot different than the first release. For the record, I LOOOOOVED the first release- it was my favorite album of the year that year. This one seems like it's going to be more of a grower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I only heard half of Bowie before my iTunes crashed but it was really good. I'll probably pick up a copy for my mom.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    I still have to listen a few more times too, but I actually have the opposite opinion. I feel like it sounds a lot different than the first release. For the record, I LOOOOOVED the first release- it was my favorite album of the year that year. This one seems like it's going to be more of a grower.
    Completely agree. It sounds much more assured. The low end is deeper, songwriting tighter, live drums. Nothing comes close to the big tent theatrics of "Mute" on Hibernation. The only track I can't get my head around "Attic Doctor", sounds like a discordant clanging video game score. Perhaps a grower but the rest I loved even on minimal spins.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    I still have to listen a few more times too, but I actually have the opposite opinion. I feel like it sounds a lot different than the first release. This one seems like it's going to be more of a grower.
    Agree. Although, I'm not sure it's a grower. We'll see. I just wished he hadn't listened to so much AC.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I only heard half of Bowie before my iTunes crashed but it was really good. I'll probably pick up a copy for my mom.
    The second half is even better!

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/28, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Autre ne Veut is interesting. I really love his voice

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/28, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post

so rad. wish he wasnt playing the troub in the middle of the week

I'm having a hard time with this one. Couldn't really get into his debut either.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

If you're a fan of dubstep/glitch/spacebass; I highly recommend ill-Esha's new album she released today "Whiplash Recovery".

It's a pay-what-you-want album, technically can be a free download, but if you like it, what's wrong with throwing the artist some money for their work? She's wrote, performed and produced this album. That's always a plus in my book for the world of electronic producers.

Listen to the album here, its free

What would we all have done if you didn't post that giant ass album cover?
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Possibly missed the album art.

ill esha is dope, I'll definitely check it out when I get home.

Happy release day for Benoit Pioulard: https://soundcloud.com/pioulard/hymnal

4/21 Avey Tare @ Bowery
    4/27 Moderat @ 1260

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Merzbow, Mats Gustfasson, Balázs Pándi come together on the album Cuts. the single most jaw dropping thing I've heard this year and a clear favorite.

Gustafsson, my favorite bari sax player, and Merzbow, probably the most famous noise artist, both produce crushing walls of noise - Merzbow on electronics and Gustafsson on processed sax. Pandi meanwhile plays unprocessed drums to make this an absolutely brutal aural assault that is often highly rhythmic.

Recommended if you can stomach this kind of thing.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

^ Definitely checking this out later.

You can hear the first track from James Ferraro's new mixtape "Cold". It definitely leans toward the music his alter ego, Bodyguard makes...

https://soundcloud.com/hipposintanks...o-blood-flow-1

Cold is the turbulence. That moment when through her eyes you drank her soul and you abused that trust. Cold is the repetition and consumption of hedonism that cannot represent or replace one night of love. Cold is a poem of this ghost of love that motivates the underworld of shaded figures. Cold outlines the human drama in a nihilistic era. Hell is Cold not hot.

4/21 Avey Tare @ Bowery
    4/27 Moderat @ 1260

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Merzbow, Mats Gustfasson, Balázs Pándi come together on the album Cuts. the single most jaw dropping thing I've heard this year and a clear favorite.

Gustafsson, my favorite bari sax player, and Merzbow, probably the most famous noise artist, both produce crushing walls of noise - Merzbow on electronics and Gustafsson on processed sax. Pandi meanwhile plays unprocessed drums to make this an absolutely brutal aural assault that is often highly rhythmic.

Recommended if you can stomach this kind of thing.
    Yeahhhhhh I've been waiting to listen to this one. Gotta be in the right mood

Woah. Welcome Oblivion. its dark, its mysterious. Everything I've come to love from trent.

Maxmillion Dunbar's House of Woo has grown on me considerably after three listens. Super ethereal beats, woodwinds....it's definitely full of ear worms.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Marnie Stern's The Chronicles of Marnia is very good! If you are not familiar with Marnie, she writes awesome pop songs and plays guitar with extremely complex and noodley aplomb. The drums are generally pretty bombastic as well. her song structures are all over the place, but she has been restraining herself from album to album, and though this one still rocks very hard, it's quite accessible. For people who have been following her, it's clear that her stuff probably never going to be quite as frenetic as what she was doing on her EPs, but as we saw on her self-titled full length, she was quite capable at dialing it down without sacrificing the same feeling she did in those earlier releases. i believe this is the first time Zack Hill has not played drums on one her recordings, but Oneida's Kid Millions is a more than worthy replacement. The bottom line is, if you like Marnie Stern, you will more than likely like The Chronicles of Marnia.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Woah. Welcome Oblivion. its dark, its mysterious. Everything I've come to love from trent.
    I swear parts of that album sound like they could be tracks off of Heligoland, which I absolutely love. Lots of great stuff going on in there.