Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Listened to Phosphorescent last night and really liked it as well. I need to give it another listen to really pinpoint which tracks stand out for me but the album flowed really well and was over before I knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Rinse. Repeat.

I bet in 3 months you love it if you listen every now and again.
    See this is what I don't get. Well, I guess I get it, but it's funny that we give some albums/artists the allowance to let an album "grow" on us whereas others are thrown out after the first listen, or often no listen at all. #themadnessofcrowds

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Timeless? No. This is some overwrought, over-reaching, ego-driven bullshit. Seriously, this album will be forgotten by the end of the year.
    Perhaps, but only to be replaced by Part 2?

I don't mind the long songs if the grooves are good. The payoff is just getting lost in the beat and production that much longer, if nothing else.

I think the new JT album is decent and will possibly grow on me. I've only listened once all the way through. The last song is ridiculously good, though, and I also like Strawberry Bubblegum quite a bit (never thought I'd say that).

I tend to like lengthy tracks because of my interest in dance music, I just don't particularly find any of these captivating or sonically inventive.

11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore
    11/21: DJ Harvey @ PW
    11/24: mr. Gnome @ Bottom of the Hill
    11/25: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist @ Fox Theater Oakland
    11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/4: Avi Buffalo @ Brick and Mortar
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/11: tUnE-yArDs, Cibo Matto @ Fox Theater Oakland
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    See this is what I don't get. Well, I guess I get it, but it's funny that we give some albums/artists the allowance to let an album "grow" on us whereas others are thrown out after the first listen, or often no listen at all. #themadnessofcrowds
    Yeah, it's annoying when someone expresses disappointment with an album and there's always someone who chimes in and says "maybe it's a grower." Yes, maybe it is, but there's also a strong chance that it's just not good.

I've only listened to the first half of the JT album, and I thought it was fantastic.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I have been fairly addicted to the Bleached full length, Ride Your Heart. It's the new project from sisters Jennifer and Jessica Clavin, both from the now-defunct Mika Miko (Jennifer was also in Cold Cave for a time). The whole album is a great throwback record - part mid '70s proto-punk, and part sun-soaked summery garage music. The 12 tracks zip by in 36 minutes, and every one is totally listenable.

last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I tend to like lengthy tracks because of my interest in dance music, I just don't particularly find any of these captivating or sonically inventive.
    How crazy is it that this is what has come to be expected of the lead singer of NSYNC?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I wish he would just do an entire album of songs as the character from his Lonely Island songs.
    last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

"Don't Hold The Wall" will be in my top 10 songs of 2013. NO question in my mind.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

"Let the Groove In" is "Rhythm is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan.

So, as some of you on facebook may already know, I was lucky enough to get an advanced stream of the new Knife album to review for the paper I write for. Before any of you ask, it is impossible for me to share the stream with anyone even if I wanted to. I am not here to rub it in, but rather, I would just like to share my review of the album that will be going in the paper in a couple of days.

Before I go ahead with that, I just want to make a PSA of sorts in regards to Shaking The Habitual. When you listen to this album for the first time, make sure you give yourself the time to allow one full listen with your full attention. Listen to it on a good pair of headphones or speakers as well. I am just going to go right ahead and say this is NOT an album for "casual listening." This is a very difficult and challenging listening, but dear god is this album phenomenal.

Anyways, here is my take on Shaking The Habitual:

"The Knife
    Shaking The Habitual
    Rabid Records/ Mute Records

It has been 7 years since the excellent Silent Shout, but 2013 marks the return of Swedish experimental/ electronic duo The Knife with their brilliant and bizarre fourth studio album, Shaking The Habitual.

Let me be abundantly clear here, this is a challenging album. At a staggering 96 minutes in length, Shaking The Habitual is not for the faint of heart. It by far their least accessible album, but it is a rich and rewarding listening for those willing to give it their time.

The Knife present us with an album full of massive, lush synth landscapes that are equally beautiful and terrifying, tribal/ jungle-esque percussion, industrial jams, and extended drone tracks. It is an album that is far too easy to get lost in. With that being said, the album is also very abrasive and it isn’t exactly inviting. In fact, you kind of get the feeling you are being confronted.

Shaking The Habitual is going to evoke the strongest of reactions in people. I doubt very much anyone will find the album to be "ok." People are going to hate it and criticize the band and those who enjoy the album relentlessly. They are going to say its "noise" or that its "unlistenable." Others are going to love it and defend it to their death. Personally, I find myself in the latter camp.

At its core, what you find is a bold statement questioning how art is produced and reproduced and while the Knife have never been straight-forward artists, I believe the title, Shaking The Habitual, tells you exactly what to expect from this album. That is, The Knife have rid themselves of their old ways they felt were dragging them down, and have set themselves on a new path."

Just for the record, the track "Wrap Your Arms Around Me" is an absolutely monstrous and surreal track. It gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. Easily one of the best tracks of the year so far, if not the best.

Hopefully the album leaks soon. But trust me, it is worth the wait. Unless you are expecting some songs that sound like "Heartbeats," that is. There is nothing remote close to that on here. If that is what you are expecting, you will probably be quite scared by the album to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

sounds like an existential fever dream of an album, meditative at times?

1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel
    2/12 Babes In Toyland @ The Roxy

just kidding. good review, it got me excited without spoiling too much. can't wait to embrace this record's wierdness.

1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel
    2/12 Babes In Toyland @ The Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    hahahahahaha

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Well played.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

we are happy to announce that our new album kveikur will be released worldwide on june 17th (18th in north america). the self-produced album contains nine tracks and is our first as a trio. you can now pre-order it at www.sigur-ros.co.uk/kveikur (but please note that a pre-order of a kveikur deluxe edition is yet to come).

11/19 Deafheaven @ MHOW
    11/20 Nils Frahm @ Glasslands
    11/21 Joy Orbison/Ben UFO @ ?
    11/22 Adam X @ Bossa Nova

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

New QOTSA comes out in June. Their website just went live again after being down for months and there are several clips. So much anticipation, especially with Grohl back on drums for the album.

Links to the teaser clips:

http://qotsa.com/audio/1.mp3
    http://qotsa.com/audio/2.mp3
    http://qotsa.com/audio/3.mp3
    http://qotsa.com/audio/4.mp3
    http://qotsa.com/audio/5.mp3
    http://qotsa.com/audio/6.mp3
    http://qotsa.com/audio/7.mp3
    Last edited by JustSteve; 03-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.

11/19 Deafheaven @ MHOW

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Aside from One Way Trigger, there isn't anything as flat out bad as half of Angles, but the new Strokes record isn't good. No clue what they're trying to do, at all. Even if it is the whole "they were a new wave band all along" thing or whatever, it's not working. Half of me gives them credit for not merely rewriting Is This It over and over again, and the other half of me thinks they should have just stuck to what they were good at.

I continue to have a hard time with The Black Angels. There are some good tunes on the new one, and I'm a massive fan of their genre as a whole, but I just can't get into them. They sound like the Placebo dude fronting a psych rock band to me.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I frequently run into the same problem with the Black Angels.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The new Strokes album is, well, definitely an album. I mean, it has all the technical qualification that are required to designate something as an album, but that is all there is to it. It exists and there is really nothing else to say about it.

About to listen to the new Bonobo. I have high expectations for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I continue to have a hard time with The Black Angels. There are some good tunes on the new one, and I'm a massive fan of their genre as a whole, but I just can't get into them. They sound like the Placebo dude fronting a psych rock band to me.
    I frequently run into the same problem with the Black Angels.
    Funny, his voice is one of my favorite things about that band. I've never listened to Placebo though. His voice has always reminded me of a male version of Grace Slick. I might be alone on that one though...

EDIT* Also, I can't listen to a band if I don't like the lead singer's voice. No matter how good their tunes are.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 03-23-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    The new Strokes album is, well, definitely an album. I mean, it has all the technical qualification that are required to designate something as an album, but that is all there is to it. It exists and there is really nothing else to say about it.
    The weirdest response I keep reading in a lot of places is "this is an album, where Angles was merely a collection of songs." Well sure, but at least four or five of those songs were pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

New Strokes =

New Wavves =

11/19 Deafheaven @ MHOW

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    This is a video for a song from last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    About to listen to the new Bonobo. I have high expectations for this one.

Funny, his voice is one of my favorite things about that band. I've never listened to Placebo though. His voice has always reminded me of a male version of Grace Slick. I might be alone on that one though...
    I like the new Bonobo quite a bit. Some people are going to say it's a lot of the same same, but his same same is pretty special, imo.

I also feel the same way as you do about The Black Angels...love the singer's voice. And, this new one was outstanding on first listen. I've been really impressed with the past two releases. Nothing has surpassed Passover yet, but still high quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The weirdest response I keep reading in a lot of places is "this is an album, where Angles was merely a collection of songs." Well sure, but at least four or five of those songs were pretty good.
    Yeah, exactly. There is nothing even worth discussing on the new Strokes album. I at least enjoy about half of Angles.

This is where I disagree and would say Comedown Machine is a step up from Angles. Tap Out and All The Time are awesome. Happy Song is another song I really enjoy. Welcome to Japan is pretty cool too. Way better rhythms and less annoying synths.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

This new Atom Tm album is currently blowing my mind. Dark and sexy minimal electro with some great Kraftwerk worship sprinkled throughout.

Last edited by Pea; 03-23-2013 at 10:02 PM.

new bonobo is great. nothing really groundbreaking from him, but good stuff nonetheless. cant wait to see him in May