Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2013 Releases

I don't understand why. You'd rather have the youth of today listening to Mumford and Lumineers and fangless pop-bluegrass crap than stuff that might help inspire the next generation of rock fans to write their own awesome songs?

And QOTSA totally fits in there. The last Torche album could trade tracks with early QOTSA easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    cannot wait for the Autre Ne Veut album...
    Totally, that new single is the bomb.

And also, the new Ab-soul JMSN... I love that single as well.

This should probably go in the mnml thread, but the new Rainer Veil EP on Modern Love is beautiful

I could see the Mastodon guys guesting on the new QOTSA.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I don't understand why. You'd rather have the youth of today listening to Mumford and Lumineers and fangless pop-bluegrass crap than stuff that might help inspire the next generation of rock fans to write their own awesome songs?
    That's totally inaccurate, Bryan, and you should know better. It's clear he'd rather the youth of today listen to Steely Dan and the Moody Blues. The result is no better, but still: accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Hey let's leave Steely Dan out of this. The human race as a whole would be better with an earlier Aja exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Totally, that new single is the bomb.

And also, the new Ab-soul JMSN... I love that single as well.

This should probably go in the mnml thread, but the new Rainer Veil EP on Modern Love is beautiful
    btw, tried to hit you back but your mailbox is full.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    That's totally inaccurate, Bryan, and you should know better. It's clear he'd rather the youth of today listen to Steely Dan and the Moody Blues. The result is no better, but still: accuracy.
    Obviously! But let's be honest here, if either one of those bands wrote some utterly disposable jangly guitar album you would have been all over it.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Cult Of Luna - Vertikal. Vertikal is the latest release by Swedish vets Cult Of Luna. I struggle with sub-genres but I believe the cool kids call their sound "post metal" or "experimental sludge". I simply label it as awesome. It is densely layered, well constructed heavy music. Despite being made up of seven members the band understands the power of restraint and possess the ability to slowly build toward huge crescendos of crushing noise. They have evolved over the course of their nearly 15 year career and each album offers points of difference. This new slab of aural awesomeness brings their electronic elements more to the fore and uses clean vocals occasionally and to great atmospheric effect. It can be brooding and challenging, it can erupt into a all encompassing wave of heavenly heaviness and it is sure to take many more listens before revealing all it's detailed nuances. It has been around five years since they dropped the brilliant Eternal Kingdom and Vertikal has been worth the wait.

Last edited by vulcandeathgrip; 02-08-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    btw, tried to hit you back but your mailbox is full.
    Cleared, my bad

I am loving the new Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Quiet and tense.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

My album, Nomsan? http://www.adrienneleasa.com

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I am loving the new Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. Quiet and tense.
    Yes indeed. The easy comparison is probably The Boatman's Call, as he hasn't made an album this consistently quiet in years. But where Boatman is the equivalent of a warm hug, Sky is nervy and anxious. I love it. I'm seeing him in Nashville next month and I'll be interested to hear how these new songs fit with the rest of his catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

I think i've listened to Mirror by JT a dozen times now. such a great song, cant wait for the album

Excited to hear this...

Adrian Utley of Portishead fame - will be releasing an album on INVADA after the summer based on his show last week in Bristol. Ade recorded 20 guitarists and 4 keyboard players performing a modern rendition of the TERRY RILEY classic 'IN C album' The performance was professionally recorded and filmed and will be released as a CD / DVD +LP / DVD after the summer.

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I guess they're back at Rare Book Room Studio More updates here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pi...oklyn-20130208

ps Josh left the band

Hi Bradford from PS1 gig last week...
    Bradford.jpg

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

For those of you that like Metronomy, the bass player that left the band before The English Riviera, Gabriel Stebbings, is releasing an album under the name "Night Works." The album is called Urban Heat Island and it is really quite good.

Here is his/their latest single, "Long Forgotten Boy."

8/16-17 - Summer Sonic @ OVC Marine Field Tokyo
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park
    10/19 - Metronomy @ Belly-Up Tavern
    10/21 - Metronomy @ The Regent Theater
    10/23 - Metronomy @ Regency Ballroom
    11/17 - Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent
    2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 wk 2, 2013 wk 1, 2014 wk 1

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post

ps Josh left the band
    FUCK. He was their secret weapon.

BUUUUT, they have a third (maybe second?) guitarist again. The Whitney/Bradford/Lockett lineup was the best I've seen of their various live permutations.
    Last edited by bmack86; 02-12-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Ok it has to be said that this Autre Ne Veut album is fucking crazy and awesome. I'm loving it on the second time through.

The new Benoit Pioulard track is really promising: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2d3zqravvt0

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Ok it has to be said that this Autre Ne Veut album is fucking crazy and awesome. I'm loving it on the second time through.
    It's a step forward in the same way Total Loss was for HTDW, but it's nowhere as immediate as his first album. I've listened to it twice and still haven't absorbed it very much. There's some good stuff but I gotta see how it unravels.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I made a Best of 2012 Spotify collaborative playlist and liked hearing what folks added to it so I am going to do it again for 2013, starting now.

2013 Collaborative Playlist

There's not much there now, which is why I'm looking for input. I think the playlist can handle two songs per artist but if you choose one please let someone else choose the other. Please don't delete anything.

Yay?
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    The new Benoit Pioulard track is really promising: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2d3zqravvt0
    Indeed. I'm loving this song. You going to see him next month?

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I made a Best of 2012 Spotify collaborative playlist and liked hearing what folks added to it so I am going to do it again for 2013, starting now.

2013 Collaborative Playlist

There's not much there now, which is why I'm looking for input. I think the playlist can handle two songs per artist but if you choose one please let someone else choose the other. Please don't delete anything.

Yay?
    Thanks John! I'll be checking this out later

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Indeed. I'm loving this song. You going to see him next month?
    Yeah I am, and Sean McCann is opening so it'll be great. I've seen him once before (opening for A Winged Victory for the Sullen at the Satellite)

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    I think i've listened to Mirror by JT a dozen times now. such a great song, cant wait for the album
    i like it but i'm not the only one to have noticed it has a distinct Nsync vibe or something. apart from the timbaland (?) beat it's very saccharine. oh well i'll probably still go see that stadium tour if they do it.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Yeah I am, and Sean McCann is opening so it'll be great. I've seen him once before (opening for A Winged Victory for the Sullen at the Satellite)
    Awesome. Seeing him next month as well! I just picked this up if you're interested...

*Limited Edition run of 150 copies, pro-duped 70 minute cassette housed in a stamped outer sleeve with artwork by Alex Solman* It's been over a year since we last heard any new material from Demdike Stare, and there are rumbles of renewed studio activity somewhere in the not-too-distant horizon. In the meantime, Demdike finally present theIr third mix, and their first released on tape. Shifting 'The Weight Of Culture' to a ferric format feels apt for their anachronistic tendencies, shrouding the crackle of expensive and often battered wax with the hum of their machines to suitably gauzy effect. As expected, they've dug ever deeper into the nooks of their archive, pairing obscure NDW diamonds with looped electronics and inverted jazz modes, traversing dimensions between kosmic flutes and terrestrial doom via illusive segues and masterful misdirection. You'll find obscure S&M odes penned by the most unlikely characters rubbing anonymous shoulders in the darkness with sublime Detroit rarities and blood-curdling noise themes, taking in private members body music, 'luud rock and practically every kink in between….
    http://boomkat.com/cassettes/660659-...ght-of-culture

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

bvdub's "A Careful Ecstacy" is a beautiful, ambient-ish electronic record full of depression and longing. I have been feeling pretty shitty today, but putting this on during my drive home today was really amazingly cathartic. Great album.

Also I wish I could get that Demdike Stare tape but just can't fit it in the budget. Thanks for the heads up though.

It's a step forward in the same way Total Loss was for HTDW, but it's nowhere as immediate as his first album. I've listened to it twice and still haven't absorbed it very much. There's some good stuff but I gotta see how it unravels.
    I disagree wholeheartedly here. Total Loss felt like treading water for me. The increased production value really didn't qualify as a step forward in my book... because in many ways the songwriting felt like a step back (i think this probably has a lot to do with the extended period of time that love remains trickled from). Some good tracks for sure, but pretty stagnant (although the live show has gotten much, much better).

The Autre Ne Veut is the opposite, here he's clearly embraced the increased capacity of his sound and adapted his style to it. It's not surprising that this has resulted in a much accessible album, but one that takes extraordinary pop and folds it outwards towards experimentation (as opposed to the awful tendency nowadays to mask mediocre pop music by gluing experimentation on top...). Can't get enough of this one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    The Autre Ne Veut is the opposite, here he's clearly embraced the increased capacity of his sound and adapted his style to it. It's not surprising that this has resulted in a much accessible album, but one that takes extraordinary pop and folds it outwards towards experimentation (as opposed to the awful tendency nowadays to mask mediocre pop music by gluing experimentation on top...). Can't get enough of this one right now.
    Agree with this right here. I like the new one even more.