Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Uninspired acts

  1. #1

    Default Uninspired acts

    Red Hot Chili Peppers (so many reasons)
    Nickel Creek (no words to describe how craptastic)
    We Are Scientists (NME American bullshit)
    Travis (zzzzzzzzzzz)
    KINGS OF LEON (classic rock rehash)
    Black Keys (fell asleep during their opening spot for Radiohead, more classic rock rehash....jimi hendrix by white boys)
    New Pornographers (sorry guys, but boring)
    Fountains of Wayne (Stacey's Mom? Really?)
    The Frames (music for the Irish menopausal)
    Damien Rice (more music for the Irish menopausal)
    The Feeling (NME bullshit)
    The Kooks (NME bullshit)

    Honorable Mention: Kaiser Chiefs....should've made the list, but their live set is half entertaining.

    I understand a few of these acts are needed to allow people to go to the bathroom/get food/see shopping carts get blown up/etc but why coachella? Why so many?
    Last edited by FakePlasticMe; 01-23-2007 at 09:06 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    i dont know all the bands you mentioned well, but you were wrong on black keys, new pornographers, and the frames.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Well everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I've seen many of them live (unfortunately) and maybe it's because I'm tired of "hey guys! hendrix was god! let's bring that back!" but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    I pretty much agree with you.. Here's a list of the bands I have to check out.

    Interpol
    The Jesus & Mary Chain
    Sonic Youth
    The Arcade Fire
    !!!
    Peter Bjorn and John
    Explosions in the sky
    Klaxons
    ratatat
    infected mushroom
    Air
    Placebo (maybe)
    Crowded House
    Fields

    i'll see what I can out of these bands.

  5. #5
    Member ayates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Strasburg, VA
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    I disagree with We Are Scientists, The Black Keys, and The New Pornographers (Neko Case is amazing, silly man) but the rest I am not too familiar with to judge.

    RHCP can die in a fire by the way.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Quote Originally Posted by ayates View Post
    I disagree with We Are Scientists, The Black Keys, and The New Pornographers (Neko Case is amazing, silly man) but the rest I am not too familiar with to judge.

    RHCP can die in a fire by the way.
    I am not a man, and I didn't say a thing about Neko Case's solo work. I knew I wouldn't get support on New Pornographers hating. Perhaps it is because I worked at Borders and was forced to listen to that album for months because we never bothered to get new promos in and I had to wait until the manager left to put in mixtapes....but that album was BEYOND boring. I'm hoping live they'll prove me wrong, unless I'm too busy getting a cajun turkey sausage. There will be a LOT of time to eat this year.

  7. #7
    Member ayates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Strasburg, VA
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticMe View Post
    I am not a man, and I didn't say a thing about Neko Case's solo work. I knew I wouldn't get support on New Pornographers hating. Perhaps it is because I worked at Borders and was forced to listen to that album for months because we never bothered to get new promos in and I had to wait until the manager left to put in mixtapes....but that album was BEYOND boring. I'm hoping live they'll prove me wrong, unless I'm too busy getting a cajun turkey sausage. There will be a LOT of time to eat this year.
    The reason I mention Neko is because she should and better be performing with them. If not, it will be a snooze fest because I have seen them live without her and it was quite boring.

    However, I digress and think Josh Homme said it best when he said, "Hey little bitch, where's your band? Bring them up on stage!"

    I did see We Are Scientists open up for Arctic Monkeys last June and their performance was way better than the Arctic Monkeys. To each his own I suppose.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Quote Originally Posted by ayates View Post
    I did see We Are Scientists open up for Arctic Monkeys last June and their performance was way better than the Arctic Monkeys. To each his own I suppose.
    Really? I haven't seen them live, again, but the disc is regurgitation personified. What the hell is the deal with the Arctic Monkeys? I'd have also included them but so many people love them and I have no idea why. Why? Why? Enlighten me masses.

  9. #9
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,174

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Interpol
    The Jesus & Mary Chain
    Sonic Youth
    The Arcade Fire
    !!!
    Peter Bjorn and John
    Explosions in the sky
    Klaxons
    ratatat
    infected mushroom
    Air
    Placebo (maybe)
    Crowded House
    Fields
    I envy you. Checking out those bands is going to be so damn awesome. I want to hear Sonic Youth for the first time again.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  10. #10
    Coachella Junkie M Sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,119

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Fountains Of Wayne's "Welcome Interstate Managers" is one of the most perfect pop albums ever recorded. "Utopia Parkway" is pretty damn good too.

    BUT...I've seen them live on TV, and they aren't exactly electrifying. I'd like to see them in one of the small tents with a small group of fans. But if they are at one of the outdoor stages, I don't see them going over very well.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    I'll defend Fountains of Wayne, too. Everyone talks about Stacey's Mom, but they forget the self-titled debut from the mid 90's. They're a fun band and were way legit before Stacey's Mom hit the radio.

    I saw them open for the Pumpkins in 96 or 97, and they were pretty solid.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    I'll defend Fountains of Wayne, too. Everyone talks about Stacey's Mom, but they forget the self-titled debut from the mid 90's. They're a fun band and were way legit before Stacey's Mom hit the radio.

    I saw them open for the Pumpkins in 96 or 97, and they were pretty solid.
    I remember that album, in fact I OWN that album. It's the only one I have, but we must remember...Radiation Vibe or Sink to the Bottom aside, they put out STACEY'S MOM. Remember the words that follow, "has got it goin' on".

  13. #13

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticMe View Post
    Really? I haven't seen them live, again, but the disc is regurgitation personified. What the hell is the deal with the Arctic Monkeys? I'd have also included them but so many people love them and I have no idea why. Why? Why? Enlighten me masses.
    I agree about We Are Scientists - it's very derivative - but I still think it'll be fun live, and derivative isn't always bad (see: quentin tarantino. not saying WAS is genius or anything, but it's far from bad).

    Arctic Monkeys have drawn their fanbase (including myself) from their rapid, observant, gritty streets lyrics, their tossaway amusing lines, and their energy on the record. I liked it from the first time I heard it, but it took a lot of listens for me to totally get what the hype was about, but now they're one of my favorite new bands of the last couple of years.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticMe View Post
    I remember that album, in fact I OWN that album. It's the only one I have, but we must remember...Radiation Vibe or Sink to the Bottom aside, they put out STACEY'S MOM. Remember the words that follow, "has got it goin' on".
    I don't see your point about the lyrics that follow...


    Survival Car is a personal fave of mine.

  15. #15
    Coachella Junkie M Sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,119

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticMe View Post
    I remember that album, in fact I OWN that album. It's the only one I have, but we must remember...Radiation Vibe or Sink to the Bottom aside, they put out STACEY'S MOM. Remember the words that follow, "has got it goin' on".
    But that album is almost a concept album...every song is in a different style, but about the same topic. "Stacy's Mom" is simply the cheesy 80's pop song. (And it's still a damn good one IMHO.)

    All their albums are good, but there's plenty of stuff on "Welcome..." that blows their first album away. I really think it needs to be listened to as a whole.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    I'm sick of all the Nickel Creek bashing that is going on in these forums. Their live stage show is beautiful and dynamic, and Chris Thile absolutley shreds on the madolin. One of the best things about Coachella is the broad selection of music, which is why I don't understand people who freak out about an act playing that doesn't conform to their narrow definition of what good music is. Nickel Creek are good, in fact they're one of the best live bands playing today, so try to be a little more opened minded than your typical reactionary wannabe pop critic.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    I hope Nickel Creek plays their pavement cover.

  18. #18
    Member Quentin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Ca
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    -Interpol
    -Arctic Monkeys
    -DJ Shadow
    -Sonic Youth
    -Tokyo Police Club
    -Rufus Wainright
    -Amy Winehouse
    -Comedians
    -RHCP
    -Arcade Fire
    -Decemberists
    -Regina Spektor
    -Ozomatli
    -Rage
    -Placebo
    -Kooks
    -Manu Chao
    -The Decemberists
    -Lilly Allen
    Peace, Love and Coachella.

  19. #19
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,468

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticMe View Post
    Black Keys (fell asleep during their opening spot for Radiohead...
    New Pornographers (sorry guys, but boring)
    The Frames (music for the Irish menopausal)
    I am sorry your opinion is wrong. Please fix it.

  20. #20
    vinylmartyr
    Guest

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    I have seen The Kooks before they are very good live.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Uninspired acts

    I saw the New Pornographers at Bumbershoot last year, Neko didn't play with them. Someone at the concert told me that she normally only records with them but doesn't tour. Let's hope she shows up for Coachella.

    AC Newman's sister covered for Neko. She's pretty good and her voice fit really well with the band. She missed a high note in Mass Romantic once - she was all smiling and kind of embarrassed. Other than that it was a solid set.

Similar Threads

  1. 3 acts you really hope play this year
    By ciaoq in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 09:09 PM
  2. This three day even is so WATERED DOWN ITS PATHETIC
    By depechemodekraftwerk in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 05:07 PM
  3. Confirmed Acts?
    By DeadSkin in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 09:18 PM
  4. Top 10: Conflict Be Damned Must-See Acts
    By idrive1life in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
  5. Popularity of Sunday's Acts: The Rage Effect?
    By im so indie in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •