Thread: Dimensions Festival 2013

old school

Default Dimensions Festival 2013

Dimensions Festival runs from midday Thursday 5th September 2013 – 6am Monday 9th September 2013

http://www.dimensionsfestival.com/

Tickets are 145

Teaser

Last edited by Sleepingrock; 01-14-2013 at 07:28 AM.

old school

Default Re: Dimensions Festival 2013

Ticket purchased.

If anyone is interested in sharing accommodation, let me know. My current plan is to camp, although I am willing to split a place if anyone is up for it.

This lineup is awesome

I was thinking of going to The Garden Festival but after this lineup announcement I'm definitely leaning towards attending this festival.

For an 'initial' lineup, especially, that looks fantastic. Interested to hear what you think of it (dB chat, ya?), this is on my radar for next year.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    For an 'initial' lineup, especially, that looks fantastic. Interested to hear what you think of it (dB chat, ya?), this is on my radar for next year.
    Sounds wonderful! I'll be fresh off the plane too. I trust it will live up to my expectations, and the Airbnb spots I have looked at so far are beautiful!

old school

So Dimensions ends the 9th, and Unknown starts the 10th.
    http://www.unknowncroatia.com/
    Unknown is about 45 minutes north of Pula and this is the lineup, so far:

Actress
    Disclosure
    Django Django
    Four Tet
    Henrik Schwarz
    Jessie Ware
    Lindstrom
    Moderat
    Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs

Dj

Ame
    Cyril Hahn
    Damian Lazarus
    Daniel Avery
    Daniel Baldelli
    Dixon
    DJ Koze
    Erol Alkan
    Floating Points
    Francesca Lombardo
    Geddes
    George Fitzgerald
    Giles Smith
    Jackmaster
    James Holden
    James Priestly
    Jamie XX
    Joy Orbison
    Julio Bashmore
    Kerri Chandler
    Michael Mayer
    Optimo
    Prins Thomas
    Richy Ahmed
    SBTRKT
    Scuba
    Subb An
    Tim Sweeney
    Todd Terje

Bad Passion Project
    Bill Brewster / Chida
    Coyote / Domenic Capello & Harri
    Hardway Brothers / Last Waltz
    Lovefingers / PBR Streetgang
    People Get Real / Scott Fraser
    Timothy J Fairplay
    The Backwoods AKA DJ Kent
    Toby Tobias / Youandewan

This is all completely ridiculous and unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    This is all completely ridiculous and unfair.
    Srsly. Fucking hell.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

So let's go to Dimensions and Unknown in 2014. :P

I want to hear more first hand accounts of Dimensions before I try to attend - take good notes, Reid!

Unknown Fest looks good and I want to keep my eye on Eastern Electrics for possible future adventures. Too much good shit out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

old school

We've got a small group going this year so you will be able to get a few different accounts!

old school

Absolutely god damned ridiculous.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

old school

Here is a little write up for anyone thinking of attending Dimensions in the future. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, or write them here.

Accomodation: My party and I (consisting of a couple boardies & their friends) chose to stay in an apartment in downtown Pula right beside the Arena which hosted the opening party. It was a short walk to the bus and to taxis as well as the supermarket. This was a good option and definitely worth it to have A/C and a nice space to cook and relax. One downside to this was that the buses to the festival site ran once an hour and even less on Saturday and Sunday which forced us to take cabs occasionally, which do add up. I didn't recieve many reports on the camping but it was right beside the site and beach with easy in and out access although if you wanted your own groceries it would be a couple hour event to get to the nearest supermarket due to buses.

The city: Pula is nice for a day/few hours of exploring but nothing spectacular, aside from the fact it is on the Croatian coastline which is absolutely beautiful. I had a day to kill where I went to a set of cliffs and relaxed as well as explored the well stocked public market, which is even more reason to stay in town.

The venue: The venue is nothing short of superb taking place in an abandoned 19th century Austrian fort it is a perfect place for a party, it never felt overcrowded although there were often lines into individual stages, never taking longer than 5 minutes for entry though. The venue had a range of stages which made it feel completely unique and much more intimate in a variety of sections.

The Beach: This stage/area only operated in the day but had two stages, often one doing techno/deep house and the other more summery British tunes, reggae, dubstep, trap kind of stuff. The beach itself was pebbly but you could find a spot to sunbath easily enough and the water's temperature was perfect.

The Clearing: The "main" stage you could say, it was situated quite simply in a clearling surrounding by medium height trees and shrubs. It had no capacity and you were required to walk past it to get to the rest of the stages. I caught a few superb acts here, and while the setting doesn't do anything for the sets it certainly does not detract, you'll always space to dance. This stage had everything from Tony Allen and Model 500 to Derrick May and JETS

Fort Arena 1: I didn't spend too much time in the one and only "Fort Arena" but I enjoyed my time in it when I was there. You were surrounded by high walls and a bar in the back, it held a high capacity and sounded great. Electric Minds, Aus vs Hypercolour, Nonplus, and Dial all threw parties here.

The Moat: This was the techno stage. You must descend a set of stairs to get into the back of the Moat which stretches 100 meters with 5 meter high walls on either side. There were I believe 4 speaker stacks placed maybe 10-15 meters apart from eachother starting at the stage going to roughly 20 meters before the stairs. This meant that where ever you were it was like you were right up front at the stage. Most people chose to head in, but if you wanted space to dance like a fool then the last speaker stack was the place to be. Parties were thrown by Hessle Audio, Resident Advisor, Fact BCN, and Ostgut Ton. My favourite stage.

Mungo's Arena: Here you would find the most "different" music at Dimensions, mostly dubstep, trap, reggae, drum and bass, stuff the Brits are known for/why Outlook existsf. It was a setting similar to the Fort Arena 1 but up a set of stairs would take you to a nice bar area to chill out and overlook the stage. I saw a couple of acts here and got a bit silly, but if you are reading this I doubt you'll go into this stage for much. Staunch, Exit, and Exodus each hosted a night and the final night consisted of Blackest Ever Black, Demdike Stare, Peverlist, Kowton, and Chris Farrell; I caught Demdike Stare for a bit but the space was much too large for them with way too few people (maybe 50).

The Courtyard: Again, high walls but also here two other stages would stem off of it. Here could begin a bit of claustrophobia in this oddly shaped venue which had colorful projections on each wall. Here you could walk into the Dungeon or wait in line for The Ballroom whose line would cut into The Courtyard's crowd. Elevate, Hoya Hoya, Dekmantel and Sirup threw parties here.

The Dungeon: I never actually caught an act in here but it was worth checking out. It was a U shape, with two entry/exit points at the top and the (miniscule) stage being at the center and later on signs that asked people not to pee in there. Dtached did one night followed by three of Launch Party DJ's.

The Ballroom: Maximum capacity here held 75 people and didn't lend much room to move but was a neat space. This circlular room, probably The Ballroom due to it being this shape rather than being able to fit a large classical dance event, had the DJ booth quite high up and everybody tight in there. Not much more to comment here, a good picture would explain it. Church, Selective Hearing, Flux, and Aka Aka Roar threw nights here.

Outside the Fort: Here it felt a bit like The Clearing in the sense it was a bit more of a conventional stage set up but not in a bad way. It was always filled with a healthy amount of folks, a variety of acts played here. Eglo, Leisure System, Deviation, and Three Chairs all were here. Definitely a party.

Boat Parties: If you go to this festival, you MUST attend atleast one boat party. They go on for between 3 to 4 hours and take you out of the bay into the open Adriatic looking onto the land or into the vast sea. I attended two, the Leisure System party featuring Machinedrum, Dawndaynight, and Demdike Stare which was not sold out but was a great time to chill out and to dance a bit. I also attended the Resident Advisor boat party which was off the hook with XXXY, Funkineven, Kode9, and Roman Flugel. Roman Flugel played into the sunset which was a highlight for me, just beautiful.

Music: Speaks for itself, it was well curated, a kick ass lineup, some conflicts (of course), but overall was amazing music over the four nights. It's why you would come here anyways! Whatever your mood you will be content.

People: Brits. Brits everywhere. It's a festival for Brits by Brits, lots of Brits. Brits, Brits, Brits, particular hip-ish Brits in their 20s. I met a couple people from Former Yugoslavia, international folks based out of Berlin, and Brits. But everyone is also there for music/party, and they aren't awful. Oh, and I met an Australian too. The overall vibe that the festival folks had was a good one though, I barely saw anyone over their limit, pretty impressive I guess.

Highlights: Model 500 (save for the MCing), Derrick May, Dixon, Karenn, Mala in Cuba, Dense & Pika, the bit of Marcus Intalex I caught was liquid and refreshing, Jets (live) wow such a party, Analogue Cops (live), Pantha Du Prince (live) was absolutely phenomenal, Steffi (I wasn't expecting techno, but it was great), Ben Klock closed the event perfectly. My favourites on the boats were Roman Flugel, Funkineven, the first and less bassy part of Kode9, Dawndaynight (a funny man), and Demdike Stare who I never thought I would see in day but played a good, summery set. I popped in for Three Chairs a few times which was really great, and diverse, but The Moat lured me in with the (Berlin) techno.

If you are looking for a party, or will be in the area, I would recommend heading over to the Istrian Peninsula for Dimensions festival 2014.

Schedule:

Various pictures from the Dimensions fb page

The opening party

The Moat

The Courtyard

Fort Arena 1

Outside the Fort

Beach party overlooking the swimming area which had blow up water toys for a couple of days

The Clearing

The Ballroom

A few of my phone pictures, sorry that they aren't very good.

Leisure System Boat Party

Dawndaynight

Demdike Stare

Boarderwoozel, friend, and I (in the center)

Roman Flugel on RA Boat party

Fish market!

Last edited by Sleepingrock; 10-06-2013 at 04:37 PM.

^ That was sounding amazing until I read "People: Brits. Brits everywhere. It's a festival for Brits by Brits, lots of Brits. Brits, Brits, Brits, particular hip-ish Brits in their 20s." Heh

Seriously, my main reservation with this festival is that I've heard the crowd is pretty sloppy (meaning: normal brits-in-festival-mode). Wasn't that bad?

Thanks for that write-up, Reid! If you don't mind my asking - could you post or PM some info regarding costs? Airfare/getting there, accommodations, cabs, anything else that added up. Also, how was the food at the festival?

It's refreshing to see that over-crowdedness didn't really seem to be an issue for you. Did you talk to anyone about Outlook? I've heard that is very crowded so I was a bit weary of Dimensions.
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    ^ That was sounding amazing until I read "People: Brits. Brits everywhere. It's a festival for Brits by Brits, lots of Brits. Brits, Brits, Brits, particular hip-ish Brits in their 20s." Heh

Seriously, my main reservation with this festival is that I've heard the crowd is pretty sloppy (meaning: normal brits-in-festival-mode). Wasn't that bad?
    I definitely didn't find them sloppy, and I was the only one who complained about Brits over the weekend, probably cause it was the end of my trip. I haven't attended another British festival before, but they handled themselves pretty well. I saw a few folks over their limit but there weren't fights, puking everywhere due to excess cider or anything else; everyone is there to dance and party, bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Thanks for that write-up, Reid! If you don't mind my asking - could you post or PM some info regarding costs? Airfare/getting there, accommodations, cabs, anything else that added up. Also, how was the food at the festival?

It's refreshing to see that over-crowdedness didn't really seem to be an issue for you. Did you talk to anyone about Outlook? I've heard that is very crowded so I was a bit weary of Dimensions.
    Transportation to the festival: I actually had a return ticket to Frankfurt for 1000 CAD (pretty much on par with USD), I took buses and trains east of there before bussing within Croatia. I actually flew out of Zagreb in the end, and the bus from Pula to Zagreb was 35 USD and was a bit under 4 hours. To Pula you can take a ferry to Venice, or a bus; I'd recommend flying into Milan or Venice and spending a bit of time in Northern Italy, unless Zagreb flights are on par, then spend time in former-Yugoslavia!

Our accomodation was a cozy little apartment designed for 5 but we fit 8 for a couple nights. It was at most 80 USD each for the 5 nights, on Airbnb you can find 2 bedrooms for as low as 30 but mostly around 50 where as a spot that can fit 8 may go for a little under 100, I recommend finding folks to split a place with.

Cab price from downtown Pula to the festival and vice versa never changed (aside from once), it was always 26 USD, or 150 HKR compared to the bus which was 2 USD or 11 HKR. Hopefully they can make the bus a bit better but we were able to easily it catch it a little past 6 (when the music ended) and, if we were prepared enough, on the hour to the festival.

Alcohol there was actually quite expensive but the security check was almost non-existant aside from bag checks. I just put a bottle of spirits in my pants and was good to go, and that probably was over doing it. I had only a couple beers in the festival or on the boat party. I also never ate at the festival, aside from when a nice Slovenian woman gave me her tokens at the end of the last day, and it was just a decent falafel but at festival prices, it all seemed like generic festival food though.

The routine was often go to the festival in the day for a boat party/lounge at the beach, take the bus back, eat and drink there and arrive at the festival around 10 preferably by bus, with burek being the next thing I would eat at 7am.

Don't go expecting it to be cheap due to the location, I found Croatia to be quite expensive although I did just come from Kosovo, Albania, and Macedonia which are all lovely countries that I highly recommend as well where you can travel extremely cheaply (for European standards).

I didn't chat with anyone about Outlook so I can't comment there, and Dimensions definitely never felt overcrowded once you got past the short lines. I couldn't imagine them fitting many more people in there though, it was a comfortable size.

All questions are welcome, that was pretty rough and I didn't go back to look at particular info, but I can provide more if you want! Is it a festival you are seriously considering?

A few of us have talked about going next year. Not sure how serious I am, but the lineups have been appealing.

I keep telling myself that I am going to stop traveling abroad for festivals but there are several exceptions. dimensions, labyrinth, sun & bass.

Thanks for all the info. I will probably think of more questions.

Dude so jealous. Those set times look juicy with a quick overview. Did the festival sellout? When did you book housing? Is there limited options where you have to book early to get a comfortable air bnb at a decent rate?

Jesus god damn christ. Those pictures are amazing and those stages look incredible. This sounds like an incredibly cool festival. Thanks for the write up, Reid!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Dude so jealous. Those set times look juicy with a quick overview. Did the festival sellout? When did you book housing? Is there limited options where you have to book early to get a comfortable air bnb at a decent rate?
    Didn't sell out, I'm fairly certain. We booked somewhat earlier in advance, I think in April and there was good selection then. There were quite a few options, and may be more this year, but also if the festival grows in popularity then the sooner you book the better. There are also a few hotels as well, but I never looked into their rates, I just know a group of folks who stayed in one on the other end of town.