Page 84 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I have to sit through another yeah yeah yeahs performance. God damnit now im gonna have to get drunk
    sigh.

they were amazing at the glass house this touring cycle, sounded good at Coachella but relatively tame mainly because everyone in the crowd up front was "checking them out".

Dont feel like looking through this whole thread. But, any good afterparty stuff going on Fri and Sat? outside of the OSL aftershows? Twelves at Mighty and Questlove at Public Works few yrs back were perfect.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

Metro Area Live!

Has anyone here seen the Growlers live? Deciding between them and Youth Lagoon, who I've already seen.

See the Growlers. They are by all accounts a very fun band live

11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore
    11/21: DJ Harvey @ PW
    11/24: mr. Gnome @ Bottom of the Hill
    11/25: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist @ Fox Theater Oakland
    11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/4: Avi Buffalo @ Brick and Mortar
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/11: tUnE-yArDs, Cibo Matto @ Fox Theater Oakland
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

I'm so going to be at chromatics

Quote Originally Posted by moviebruin View Post
    Dont feel like looking through this whole thread. But, any good afterparty stuff going on Fri and Sat? outside of the OSL aftershows? Twelves at Mighty and Questlove at Public Works few yrs back were perfect.
    Stanton Warriors at Monarch on Friday (though playing at the festival too)
    Metro Area at Mighty, as was already mentioned, on Friday
    Glass Candy at Mezzanine on Friday
    Gene Farris & DJ Pierre at Harlot (both are playing the festival during daylight hours though too), on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by westernwarrior View Post
    Has anyone here seen the Growlers live? Deciding between them and Youth Lagoon, who I've already seen.
    I've seen The Growlers three times and I've loved every single performance. They sound great live.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Just saw the set list after being out all day and holy shit. I'm glad if there was a year for me to miss this would be it because I honestly don't even know what I would do with half of the conflicts. However Band of Horses into The National into Macca is pretty fucking amazing. Also Phoenix is going to be one giant cluster fuck closing the Twin Peaks Stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Foy Vance -> Smith Westerns -> Surfer Blood -> Band of Horses -> The National -> Macca

Bhi Bhiman -> Social Studies -> either Gary Clark Jr. or Atlas Genius -> Young the Giant -> Jurassic 5 -> Yeah Yeah Yeahs -> Nine Inch Nails

Dumpstaphunk -> Kopecky Family Band -> Foals -> Hall & Oates -> Vampire Weekend -> Red Hot Chili Peppers
    8/9-11 - Outside Lands 8/24 - Godflesh & Jucifer 9/3 - Loma Prieta 9/6 - Church of Ra 9/28 - Jesu & JK Flesh 10/11 - Carcass 10/27 - At the Gates

Maria Bamford/Eugene Mirman -> Surfer Blood / The Men (I may leave for The Men partway through SB's set) -> Band of Horses -> The National -> Macca

LoCura (saw them at OCF, really good) -> Soft White Sixties/Social Studies (undecided) -> Gary Clark Jr/James McCartney (undecided) -> Youth Lagoon -> J5 -> YYY -> NiN

"Bring the Rock" in the barbary (I think this'll be funny, and hey, Bruce McCullough) -> Camper Van Beethoven -> Kurt Vile -> Trombone Shorty/H&O -> VW -> RHCP

I have tickets for the Growlers pre-show at the CA academy of sciences so I'm opting for Youth Lagoon instead who I've never seen.

I wanted to see Thao and the Get Down Stay Down but they put them against J5 who I'll probably never get a chance to see again so ... yeah.

I'm not quite sure if I'd rather see the songwriting of James McCartney or the guitar riffage of Gary Clark Jr. James's stuff has kind of grown on me lately. But I'm sure Gary Clark Jr would put on a great show.

I already saw Atlas Genius at 'squatch and honestly Trojans is their only good song, to me at least

I'm personally pretty "meh" towards both Foals and Kurt Vile but that's pretty much the only choice I have at that time slot. Wish they'd move one of my conflicts there.

I'm fully expecting Bruce will break out "Daves I Know" if this "bring the rock" thing in the Barbary is a comedy music thing.
    Last edited by GBVFan; 07-26-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Fri: Foy Vance >> Midi Matilda >> The Heavy >> Twenty One Pilots >> The National >> D'Angelo (teaser) >> Yeasayer >> Macca

Sat: The Lone Bellow >> Atlas Genius >> Young the Giant >> Jurassic 5 (leave early) >> Tallest Man on Earth >> Grizzly Bear >> Phoenix

Sun: The Easy Leaves >> Little Green Cars >> FOALS >> TBD/Dawes/A-Trak >> Vampy Weekend >> RHCP

Going to be a lot of game time decisions with some of the smaller acts, based on energy levels/feasibility. I see why OLS did what they did, but it seems that with this fest, Grizzly Bear to Phoenix will draw a bigger crowd than YYYs to NIN. The number of likes on the lineup are fairly even though.

Quote Originally Posted by tmac View Post
    Metro Area Live!
    You going OSL Tmac?

Was thinking same thing. Havent seen them Live before just dj set at Temp Spaces ages ago. Plus love Mighty as a venue.

Also, anyone seen Chris Baio (Vampire Weekend) and/or Twin Shadow dj before? Listened to Baio's Bolier room set and it was actually pretty decent. Leaning towards seeing them at Monarch on Sat (how is that venue btw) over Plump DJs at Pub Works which might be too dancey for 3rd night in the city.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Gene Farris & DJ Pierre at Harlot (both are playing the festival during daylight hours though too), on Saturday
    Thanks for the tips Chiapet. Prob be too late for Glass Candy after Maccas set but that woulda been cool. Hows Monarch and Harlot as venues? Never been.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.

Fwiw, glass candy will most likely take the stage at midnight or later.

monarch has the best soundsystem in the city imo. one of the few void rigs in the states if I'm not mistaken. crowd composition can be a bit strange, owing to the fact that many people come in for drinks at the upstairs bar then migrate downstairs out of curiosity. helps their bottom line but results in a fair number of musically clueless people on the dance floor. harlot is an "ultra-lounge" that occasionally masquerades as a club. wholly unremarkable.

I did a quick search and noticed this was briefly mentioned, but does anyone know if there will be any smaller stages that are not listed on the schedule (i.e. the new Presidio)?

Quote Originally Posted by moviebruin View Post
    You going OSL Tmac?
    not this year unfortunately. sure hoping that Metro Area LA date comes to fruition though

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Plump DJs at public works Saturday (also playing at the festival)
    updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    monarch has the best soundsystem in the city imo. one of the few void rigs in the states if I'm not mistaken.

Have you heard the new Mighty soundsystem? That thing is the balls and might not be louder than Monarch but is so damn clear.

Anyone have an excel or google docs schedule file?

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    Have you heard the new Mighty soundsystem? That thing is the balls and might not be louder than Monarch but is so damn clear.
    The new soundsystem at Mighty is definitely not better than Monarch. Mighty's new sound -- to me -- sounds a lot better than it used to, but only when you're in the middle of the dance floor (kind of in the square that's made by the posts in the dancefloor area). It's muddy as fuck anywhere else in the venue.

The new soundsystem at Mighty is definitely not better than Monarch. Mighty's new sound -- to me -- sounds a lot better than it used to, but only when you're in the middle of the dance floor (kind of in the square that's made by the posts in the dancefloor area). It's muddy as fuck anywhere else in the venue.
    Thats where I was standing during the Wicked anniversary party and it sounded amazing. I guess I really didn't notice the sound in the other areas of the club.

Isn't that exactly how Mighty used to sound? I haven't heard the new speakers yet

I appreciate them giving me the chance to see D'Angelo, but I'll probably wait it out to be closer to Macca...BoH-->National-->McCartney is perfect. I have Yeasayer night show tickets so I can skip them, glad they get to play at dark(ish) but nobody is going to show up...

Looks like I'll mostly be main stage camping...will be a very different experience than Coachella.

Is Atlas Genius good live? Dig some of their songs and my girlfriend absolutely loves them, I've seen Gary Clark Jr. several times now but he always rips it and it would be a shame to miss him for somebody who is just "so so".

Ms. Mr will almost assuredly be at Coachella and Hurricane is already gaining radio traction, so relax, you'll all hate them in a couple months because I think they're going to blow up.

Rhye vs. National is a sad, but gotta go with my boy Matt here. Grizzly Bear and Yeah Yeah Yeahs is my saddest conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    Isn't that exactly how Mighty used to sound? I haven't heard the new speakers yet
    That is how it used to sound. Metro Area will be my first exposure to the new speakers, too. Though I won't be leaving the dance floor.

11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore
    11/21: DJ Harvey @ PW
    11/24: mr. Gnome @ Bottom of the Hill
    11/25: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist @ Fox Theater Oakland
    11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/4: Avi Buffalo @ Brick and Mortar
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/11: tUnE-yArDs, Cibo Matto @ Fox Theater Oakland
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

It's not an excel or google doc file but I made this one in InDesign based on an old Coachella schedule I did. I like this layout better, plus it's much nicer to look at! It's designed to print double-sided so you get the day of the week on the back, and I'll usually throw it through the office laminator as well. https://www.dropbox.com/s/aupayiakca...20Schedule.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by marytakespictures View Post
    It's not an excel or google doc file but I made this one in InDesign based on an old Coachella schedule I did. I like this layout better, plus it's much nicer to look at! It's designed to print double-sided so you get the day of the week on the back, and I'll usually throw it through the office laminator as well. https://www.dropbox.com/s/aupayiakca...20Schedule.pdf
    Great work, this is awesome. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    Thats where I was standing during the Wicked anniversary party and it sounded amazing. I guess I really didn't notice the sound in the other areas of the club.
    Yea, to be clear I am a supporter of the new sound design. A lot of people hate it -- and they have a fair point that for more money, it could sound wonderful throughout the main room -- but I'm usually on the dance floor so I don't care that much. Everyone whines that it sounds terrible by either bar. Solution: don't hang out by the bar all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    No, it used to sound like crap throughout, I thought. Before it was just loud, not clear. If you are right in the middle ~400 sq feet in front of the stage, it does sound a lot better than it used to.

At any rate, it doesn't come close to the sound system at Monarch. It's too bad Monarch is lost to us non-douchebags now...

D'Angelo at Sutro before McCartney is giving me anxiety. I really want to see D'Angelo but this seems like Beck -> Radiohead all over again. Maybe I'm overestimating the appeal of D'Angelo to this crowd.