Page 78 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Any tips on driving in / other transit options (from LA)?
    There are buses: http://www.cashuttlebus.com

Parking can be a real pain in SF, depending on where you're staying, and can get expensive. I'd consider this option.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I know a couple of people who found the Megabus roundtrip LA from/to SF useful. One way rates are ranging from $23-$41 during OSL weekend, depending on time and date.
    Last edited by eudaemonia; 07-23-2013 at 09:03 AM.

If you arrive early (noonish) and approach the park from the west side, you won't have any problems. If you are going to get there after 2, the shuttle is probably the best option.

Just going to jump right in here, out of the blue, and try revamp some underrated artists discussions. Heading to Outside Lands for the first time from CO, but have been to Bonnaroo in '12 and went to GovBall earlier this summer. Top 5, must see non-headliners are:

1) Foals (unreal rock show)
    2) Rhye (the hype is warranted)
    3) Twenty One Pilots (these guys are intriguing, great lyrics and good dance beats)
    4) Atlas Genius (want to see how their great album translates live)
    5) Midi Matilda (awesome local SF band, dance party)

HM) Yeasayer, Lone Bellow, Foy Vance, Tallest Man on Earth, MS MR

Also is it just me, or did the Wild Feathers just get added to Sunday without a peep? Saw them open for Ryan Bingham, solid southern rock act.

Based on some historical schedules, it seems like J5 will play on the Sutro, up against the opener for Phoenix (Grizzly Bear?), in between the YYYs and NIN sets.
    Last edited by zachsquatch; 07-23-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Great list, Twenty one pilots is definitely in the top for me and Foals is up there too. THe only one i'm not too familiar with is Rhye but I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about them. I'd also have to add Gary Clark Jr., Tallest Man on Earth, and MS MR to my list

This one got me thinking, What's everyone's Top 5 bands that you want to see. Mine are:
    1.) Twenty One Pilots
    2.) Head and the Heart
    3.) The National
    4.) Vampire Weekend
    5.) Tallest Man on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by zachsquatch View Post
    Based on some historical schedules, it seems like J5 will play on the Sutro, up against the opener for Phoenix (Grizzly Bear?), in between the YYYs and NIN sets.
    sadly, this makes a lot of sense ... or J5 on Twin Peaks and Grizzly Bear on Sutro? Ugh I just want YYYs->Phoenix->NIN to happen
    9/19 - CHVRCHES - Hollywood Palladium
    10/7 - Belle and Sebastian - Ace Hotel
    10/16 - Massive Attack - Greek Theatre
    12/5 - Flight Facilities - The Regent Theater

1) Paul McCartney
    2) King Tuff
    3) Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    4) Kurt Vile & The Violators
    5) Dillon Francis
    is anyone else leaving early sunday to watch breaking bad
    Last edited by acasey0; 07-23-2013 at 10:19 AM.

1) Macca
    2) The National with Kronos Quartet
    3) Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    4) Vampire Weekend
    5) Gary Clark Jr. (always rips it)

No D'Angelo only because I bet he goes up against Macca and as such I'm not getting my hopes up. Seeing Yeasayer night show so I'll probably skip them at OSL, but otherwise they'd be on here. Unlike Coachella where I mostly get excited about Mojave type acts, I think I'll be at the main stage for much of OSL.

1) Macca
    2) The Head and the Heart
    3) Phoenix
    4) The National
    5) Vampire Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    1) Macca
    2) The National with Kronos Quartet
    3) Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    4) Vampire Weekend
    5) Gary Clark Jr. (always rips it)

No D'Angelo only because I bet he goes up against Macca and as such I'm not getting my hopes up. Seeing Yeasayer night show so I'll probably skip them at OSL, but otherwise they'd be on here. Unlike Coachella where I mostly get excited about Mojave type acts, I think I'll be at the main stage for much of OSL.
    The potential of Yeasayer > Band of Horses > The National > Macca on the Friday main stage is pretty awesome. It'll be hard to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by zachsquatch View Post
    The potential of Yeasayer > Band of Horses > The National > Macca on the Friday main stage is pretty awesome. It'll be hard to leave.
    Would be unreal. Yeasayer in the daylight is all sorts of lame though, but that's to be anticipated at festivals with a 10:00 curfew.

Would be unreal. Yeasayer in the daylight is all sorts of lame though, but that's to be anticipated at festivals with a 10:00 curfew.
    Agreed, wish the night show tickets weren't so expensive as Cherub is a fun show tool. At Govball they played in a tent which helped, maybe some heavy fog will give it that same dynamic.

at this point ive heard too much about the national to keep ignoring them. wheres the best place to start?

1. The National
    2. Macca
    3. Phoenix
    4. Hall & Oates
    5. Rhye

I hadn't considered the Yeasayer -> Band of Horses -> National -> Macca scenario, but that'd be pret-ty-cool. I'm also starting to convince myself YYY's -> Phoenix -> NIN is a possibility, having remembered that Beck/Foo Fighters/Neil Young had the same billing last year. Could Jurassic 5 be the counter-programming to NIN?

Quote Originally Posted by acasey0 View Post
    at this point ive heard too much about the national to keep ignoring them. wheres the best place to start?
    I know many, if not most, will disagree, but I am a huge National fan and consider their newest release to be their strongest by far. Most people consider Boxer to be their best, however.

Quote Originally Posted by acasey0 View Post
    Honestly, their most recent setlist is a pretty good start. I always have trouble paring down their songs into a playlist, but this works really well: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-na...-6bc6be26.html

They likely won't get 20 songs at OSL, but should get at least an hour. Also, agreed with travelfan; I think their most recent is their best, though that's possibly because it's the freshest in my ears.

1. Paul McCartney
    2. Grizzly Bear
    3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    4. The Tallest Man on Earth
    5. Chromatics

Also really looking forward to Phoenix, Yeasayer, and NIN.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Honestly, their most recent setlist is a pretty good start. I always have trouble paring down their songs into a playlist, but this works really well: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-na...-6bc6be26.html

They likely won't get 20 songs at OSL, but should get at least an hour. Also, agreed with travelfan; I think their most recent is their best, though that's possibly because it's the freshest in my ears.
    That setlist is INSANE.

I know many, if not most, will disagree, but I am a huge National fan and consider their newest release to be their strongest by far. Most people consider Boxer to be their best, however.
    Agreed. Fake Empire is a great tune but their most recent album gives a better feel for the current state of the band. A review of 'Roo said their set was (relatively) upbeat. I Should Live in Salt is my favorite song.

Oh shoot, I meant Alligator instead of Boxer, although I personally like Boxer better. Whatever.

I think the argument for starting with Trouble Will Find Me is that it is their sound perfected. Small portions of their earlier releases can verge on being overly maudlin and occasionally shmaltzy, which is easily forgiable if you like their sound as a whole, but that has been a constant criticism of the band. There isn't one section of Trouble Will Find Me that hits that pitfall, so if you dig that sound, go explore Boxer/Alligator and you'll get it in a bigger context. My personal take.

And for the record, I think my three favorites on Trouble are Don't Swallow The Cap, This is the Last Time, and Sea of Love. Maybe Fireproof and Demons too. Just an all around fantastic record.

UHM, The Wild Feathers and Social Studies are on the lineup now? I fucking adore Social Studies... but is that just night shows or...?

Update: Just checked Social Studies twitter and they'll be playing the festival on Saturday. FUCK YES.
    Last edited by nickntto; 07-23-2013 at 11:17 AM.

what drugs are everyone going to be on for their fave bands

Also, aside from the obvious (Yeasayer, Grizzly Bear, The National)

1. Foals
    2. MS MR
    3. Youth Lagoon
    4. Daughter
    5. Little Green Cars
    ...and 6. Rhye
    Last edited by nickntto; 07-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.

1. K
    2. A
    3. S
    4. K
    5. A
    6. D
    7. E

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    I don't want to miss J5 again due to conflicts
    You didn't miss much other than Cut Chemist and DJ Numark guest appearing on their Coachella set. That potential would be the only reason I would want to go back to J5 after having seen them a few months ago. Good luck!

Grizzly Bear/ YYYs/ NIN

Let the cheese have its own stage.

Win tickets at trivia night

Ranger Dave loves to tease us with a possible schedule. I got so excited when I saw something on facebook but it was just the trivia night

re: rhye

Don't expect them to be on at sunset or at night. Just caught them at Melt! and they played the first or second set of the day (4pm). If you like their album, I would definitely go see them. They sound really good live.

edit: you'll want to get up close if OSL doesn't fix the sound issues on the non-main stages
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 07-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.