Page 60 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Quote Originally Posted by harryoliver View Post
    I've lived in the Bay my entire life and I haven't done Alcatraz, don't think I ever will.
    The Rock has become a tourist attraction?

This whole discussion has me wanting to watch Escape From Alcatraz.
    Last edited by Listening; 05-13-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealocus View Post
    What hotels would you guys recommend to stay in after the festival? My girlfriend and I are going to make a little vacation out of it so we want something relatively nice. We usually stay at the Hyatt Place in Seattle, so that can give you an idea of what we like.

Also any activities that are pretty fun (and I don't care about if they're "touristy" or not). I definitely want to go to Alcatraz Island so leave that one out.
    Here are some of things I always like taking people to do when they come visit:

* The Musee Mecanique - while unfortunately located in Fisherman's Wharf (it used to be underneath the Cliffhouse), this is a warehouse of "20th-century penny arcade games and artifacts." You can spend $5 and have a blast. The stuff they have in there just mesmerizes me. More info: http://www.museemechanique.org/

* Bourbon & Branch, Smuggler's Cove & The Tonga Room: B&B is a remodeled speakeasy that requires a password ("books") for entry. They make some crazy delicious cocktails in there. Smugglers' is a pirate/tiki bar consisting of three very small floors and expertly made rum drinks. The Tonga Room is in the basement of the Fairmont Hotel in their old swimming pool. A floating stage with a live band now occupies that pool. It is also tiki-themed and always seems to be on the cusp of being shutdown. More info: http://www.tongaroom.com/, http://smugglerscovesf.com/trapdoor/, http://www.bourbonandbranch.com/

* Watch the Giants game for free: the Giants will be playing the Orioles during OSL, and if you walk around AT&T Park to where the right field wall is, you can watch the game from a chainlink fence viewing area for up to three innings (crowd-size dependent). They also sell the park's signature garlic fries at an outside concessions stand next door.

* See a movie at the Castro (already mentioned but heartily seconded!)

* Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness & Geary. Meat cut off the bone and endless sides (think Thanksgiving dinner), a full bar and low prices. The day Tommy's closes is the day this city dies. More info: http://www.tommysjoynt.com/
    Last edited by ruskinator; 05-13-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruskinator View Post
    Here are some of things I always like taking people to do when they come visit:

* The Musee Mecanique - while unfortunately located in Fisherman's Wharf (it used to be underneath the Cliffhouse), this is a warehouse of "20th-century penny arcade games and artifacts." You can spend $5 and have a blast. The stuff they have in there just mesmerizes me. More info: http://www.museemechanique.org/

* Bourbon & Branch, Smuggler's Cove & The Tonga Room: B&B is a remodeled speakeasy that requires a password ("books") for entry. They make some crazy delicious cocktails in there. Smugglers' is a pirate/tiki bar consisting of three very small floors and expertly made rum drinks. The Tonga Room is in the basement of the Fairmont Hotel in their old swimming pool. A floating stage with a live band now occupies that pool. It is also tiki-themed and always seems to be on the cusp of being shutdown. More info: http://www.tongaroom.com/, http://smugglerscovesf.com/trapdoor/, http://www.bourbonandbranch.com/

* Watch the Giants game for free: the Giants will be playing the Orioles during OSL, and if you walk around AT&T Park to where the right field wall is, you can watch the game from a chainlink fence viewing area for up to three innings (crowd-size dependent). They also sell the park's signature garlic fries at an outside concessions stand next door.

* See a movie at the Castro (already mentioned but heartily seconded!)

* Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness & Geary. Meat cut off the bone and endless sides (think Thanksgiving dinner), a full bar and low prices. The day Tommy's closes is the day this city dies. More info: http://www.tommysjoynt.com/
    The Castro and Paramount in Oakland are movie palaces.

I was at Castro for the Lawrence of Arabia showings around New Years. Only been a few times this year, wanted to go a lot more but had some scheduling conflicts.

Highly recommended for someone who's never been, the architecture, the classic movie posters, it's a great place to check once or regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Do the audio tour at Alcatraz. Really well done, even pretty eerie at times.
    Third this. Loved it.

edit* also hope I can make to whatever day Rudimental plays, or can catch them solo sometime soon. So fucking good.
    Last edited by Bud Luster; 05-13-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

So far I've decided on:
    Alcatraz audio day tour (sigh)
    Giants vs. Brewers August 8th (ended up buying seats field level, I heard Giants games are intense and despite being a huge Cardinals fan I want to immerse myself in the crowd)
    Pier 39 has some cool attractions, specifically some 7D video game like (gimmicky but cool) theater thing
    Bourbon & Branch sounds amazing
    Chinatown
    Finding a sailboat Groupon that will take us around the bay
    Possibly the Castro and Paramount if we have time
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Bmack loves this fest because he is a zFat beer fan. He loves beer and food. Fat shitty music lover.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

So far I've decided on:
    Giants vs. Brewers August 8th (ended up buying seats field level, I heard Giants games are intense and despite being a huge Cardinals fan I want to immerse myself in the crowd)
    Pier 39 has some cool attractions, specifically some 7D video game like (gimmicky but cool) theater thing
    Chinatown
    All good choices. Some other suggestions. Walk the embarcadero and stop by the ferry building for lunch. Dinner time make reservations for Chaya and request a window seat or outdoor patio at night (if warm). Chaya has good food and great view of the Bay Bridge. The Bay Bridge has a light show every night. Really nice and your GF will surely enjoy it.

The company I work for is affiliated with Alcatraz Cruises, and I highly suggest doing the night tour. I guess photographically you'll be able to see more looking out to SF from the island during the day, but doing the audio tour at night really is sort of an eerie experience.

For things to do in the city, these are good starting off points. For the fiscally-challenged, Funcheap is a good tool to find just that, fun and cheap shit to do while in the city.
    http://www.thebolditalic.com/
    http://sf.funcheap.com/

Off the Grid is a clusterfuck of food trucks, in a good way. The Friday event at Fort Mason is their biggest gathering complete with live music, but they gather in random places throughout the week as well so I'd definitely recommend that. http://offthegridsf.com/
    A permanent food truck plaza can also be found at this location ---> http://somastreatfoodpark.com/
    Definitely not as cold/ blustery as OtG in Fort Mason, so this may be a more comfortable option for the weather-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by CestLaVie View Post
    The company I work for is affiliated with Alcatraz Cruises, and I highly suggest doing the night tour. I guess photographically you'll be able to see more looking out to SF from the island during the day, but doing the audio tour at night really is sort of an eerie experience.

For things to do in the city, these are good starting off points. For the fiscally-challenged, Funcheap is a good tool to find just that, fun and cheap shit to do while in the city.
    http://www.thebolditalic.com/
    http://sf.funcheap.com/

Off the Grid is a clusterfuck of food trucks, in a good way. The Friday event at Fort Mason is their biggest gathering complete with live music, but they gather in random places throughout the week as well so I'd definitely recommend that. http://offthegridsf.com/
    A permanent food truck plaza can also be found at this location ---> http://somastreatfoodpark.com/
    Definitely not as cold/ blustery as OtG in Fort Mason, so this may be a more comfortable option for the weather-challenged.
    Trust me, if I could get my lady to do the night tour I would be there in a heartbeat, alas I can barely get her to watch Paranormal Activity...

You're the second or third person to mention Off the Grid so I think I'm gonna do a bit of research and add that to the list.

I'll also check out fun cheap but I'm not really on too tight of a budget. Since I've never been to SF I figure I'd go big and do everything I can.

Also I'm sure there's not, but is there any bungee jumping in or around the city that anyone knows of?

Edit: Just saw you can bungee jump off the Golden Gate Bridge. This looks extremely tempting....

Double edit: After more research, I guess the request got denied by the city because of all the boats in the water. The original website looks to still be up though.
    Last edited by Nealocus; 05-14-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Everyone keeps recommending the OTG at Fort Mason but I prefer the Thursday night event in the Upper Haight. It is one of the larger events and the weather can be slightly better than at Fort Mason. There is usually some kind of live music there as well, though not always. As an added bonus it is a block away from Amoeba Records.

Quote Originally Posted by stochasticism View Post
    Everyone keeps recommending the OTG at Fort Mason but I prefer the Thursday night event in the Upper Haight. It is one of the larger events and the weather can be slightly better than at Fort Mason. There is usually some kind of live music there as well, though not always. As an added bonus it is a block away from Amoeba Records.
    You had me at Amoeba. This is by far my only "must" for the trip. I'm keeping a separate pile of money in order to blow it all here. Looks like we'll be going Thursday after the game to OTG, then head to Amoeba.

If you do hit up OTG, The Chairman truck is the can't miss, even if the line is the longest. Pork Belly and Coca-Cola Brasied Pork Baos are both unreal.

Here is the schedule:
    http://offthegridsf.com/markets

The reason why people like Fort Mason is that it has by far the biggest selection, 30+ trucks and then beer and wine vendors on top of that, but it is a bit of a tundra in terms of weather. Upper Haight is 10-13 trucks. But Friday night is Outside Lands anyway, so Upper Haight might be the next best. The SOMA Streat Food Park is chill, but more of a lunch spot and they don't have a lot of the best trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    All good choices. Some other suggestions. Walk the embarcadero and stop by the ferry building for lunch. Dinner time make reservations for Chaya and request a window seat or outdoor patio at night (if warm). Chaya has good food and great view of the Bay Bridge. The Bay Bridge has a light show every night. Really nice and your GF will surely enjoy it.

My last trip up to the city we ate at a restaurant right near the bay bridge. Seeing the light show up close like that was pretty cool. However if you watch that video you pretty much see the light show. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it unless of course you are specifically going to eat dinner in that area. We at Polominos which the food was excellent but a bit on the pricier side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    My last trip up to the city we ate at a restaurant right near the bay bridge. Seeing the light show up close like that was pretty cool. However if you watch that video you pretty much see the light show. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it unless of course you are specifically going to eat dinner in that area. We at Polominos which the food was excellent but a bit on the pricier side.
    I used to go Palominos when I worked in the area. Nice view of the bridge from the patio. It is pricier, so you might want to check out the happy hour menu before going.

If you're going to eat or walk in the Palomino/Epic Roasthouse/Waterbar or Ferry Bulding area (and if there, I might suggest Slanted Door, although again, pricier), it's a nice walk to AT&T Park. Worth doing once if you're from out of the area...especially if you're going to a game anyways.
    Last edited by Listening; 05-14-2013 at 09:25 AM.

So when do set times and/or the day breakdown usually come out?

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    So when do set times and/or the day breakdown usually come out?
    Not for a long time. Last year day by day break outs came on July 18th, and schedule was July 26th.

Its definitely going to be a wait. Lolla has their schedule up today, so thats the difference between a fest that sells out instantly and one that needs three months to sell out. Hopefully, we start getting the additions soon.

So far I've decided on:
    Chinatown
    Avoid Pier 39 if you can...there are other tourist traps more worth your time, in my opinion.

Giants games are fantastic. I might be at that game as well, it's on my birthday. Gonna be a fun weekend.

yeah I mean Pier 39 is just a shopping center and you get to see the seals. However if you just go down the next Pier over you can still see the seals and not deal the tourist masses trying to see them. Obviously not as close but still very visible and that is what zoom lenses are for if trying to take pictures of them.

yeah I mean Pier 39 is just a shopping center and you get to see the seals. However if you just go down the next Pier over you can still see the seals and not deal the tourist masses trying to see them. Obviously not as close but still very visible and that is what zoom lenses are for if trying to take pictures of them.
    Seals don't really get me off. We have a shit ton of them here in La Jolla.

Seals don't really get me off. We have a shit ton of them here in La Jolla.
    Didn't even pay attention to where you are from but yeah you do. I would also recommend walking out on the Golden Gate Bridge or actually even renting bikes and ride through Fort Mason area and cross the bridge and then just take the ferry back. You get some really cool views of the city from Marin County. Also if you like going to museums I would highly recommend the Cal Academy, such an awesome place.

Didn't even pay attention to where you are from but yeah you do. I would also recommend walking out on the Golden Gate Bridge or actually even renting bikes and ride through Fort Mason area and cross the bridge and then just take the ferry back. You get some really cool views of the city from Marin County. Also if you like going to museums I would highly recommend the Cal Academy, such an awesome place.
    Or if you happen to rent a car, you can do a variation of the bike over golden gate thing, but you drive over and then head up the Marin Headlands which is just on the other side of the bridge and you get amazing views of the city. I have done a quick drive with my friends who are visiting which includes the GG Bridge, Headlands, Pacific Heights, Presidio, Crissy Field. There are a ton of great views and picture taking opportunities.

I would make a game time decision on all of that. Having a car is not the easiest in the City. Parking is horrible everywhere and costly to park in a lot. Golden Gate Bridge is great if the weather cooperates - you could have a early foggy day. No guarantees in SF but the Indian summer is in your favor. Just have a list of things you want to do and be flexible. There are a lot of options to get around town including Zip Cars if you just want to rent a car for a couple of hours on short notice.

Historically when does this sell out? I'm not sure if I'll be in town

Last year was the first year that the entire weekend sold out and that didn't even happen until a few weeks prior to it. I suspect the same for this year.

Anyone looking for two extra to fill a house? Unfortunately the group I was going to stay with filled up and so now we have to look elsewhere. I'm not really interested in dropping $100-$150 a night on hotels if I don't have to.

Metro Area will be playing live at Mighty on 8/9. Figured this may be of interest to some in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    Metro Area will be playing live at Mighty on 8/9. Figured this may be of interest to some in this thread.
    Awww yeah! I've missed them the last few times they've rolled through.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

touring a live show for the first time in a LONG time. should be a good one. out-of-towners: mighty is a stellar space w newly upgraded soundsystem

Looks like I'm going back to Mighty. Lots of fun last year for Miguel Migs

Wow, metro area hasn't done a live show in over 10 years?! I'm excite