Page 59 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    There aren't OSL "after-parties," per say. There's just night shows at some of the various venues in the city. In the past, only OSL ticket holders were given the passwords needed to purchase these tickets. There's no discount or anything. The only "club" setting I remember a night show being at was Mighty, with Hercules and Love Affair. Oh, yeah. Some of the night shows feature artists that aren't even on the actual lineup.
    I thought that they had a two-tiered sale, first for OSL ticket holders and later for the public?

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    I wouldn't count on a cab. Uber or Lyft, or maybe even brave MUNI. Someone recommended getting on the MUNI bus headed the wrong direction - it'll turn around after just a few blocks and you'll have some seats to yourselves before the hordes board.
    Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    If by a few blocks you mean about 20 or then yeah this is an option. Instead of waiting for it to go completely around just go a a few then get off and get back on the other way, unless you enjoy the longer ride.
    Both of these. I was gonna say just walk 5-10 minutes EAST and hop on the west-bound MUNI before everyone else gets on it, but I suppose you could just hope on a eastbound MUNI for a couple minutes then get off and hop on the next westbound one if you don't feel like walking.

Also plan on most of the Lyfts being unavailable. This isn't last year. Most people have heard of Lyft/sidecar now. And don't be surprised if your Uber you hail warns you of a peak hour rate that can charge anywhere form 1.25X-2X the normal rate. Which is still worth it imo.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2014 Coachella FF Team = White Welkers

I feel dumb but I have no idea what UBER, MUNI, Lyft, etc are.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Uber is a town car service that you hail using an app on your smartphone. Very handy. You link your credit card to it and never use cash. Tip is included.

MUNI is the name of the local transit/buses/light rail in San Francisco.

Lyft is another app with your CC linked, but instead of professional drivers in town cars, it's regular people driving around their own personal cars, giving people "lyfts" and you "donate" rather than pay a fair.

Sidecar is basically the same thing as Lyft, just different company.

I use Uber when I want to have a nice car picking me up quickly, and of course to look like a baller. At the very least, it's a town car, but often times I'm picked up by a Cadillac or BMW 5-series or something equally nice. You can also request an Escalade/Navigator. Usually used at night time when going out with friends.

I use Lyft/Sidecar when I want to save $. More of a daytime thing for me. About the same price or potentially way cheaper than a cab, potentially way nicer cars than a cab, and definitely way nicer drivers than a cab. I use Lyft/Sidecar interchangeably, sometimes Lyft has a driver closer to me, sometimes Sidecar.

Because.

I know I keep mentioning the shuttles but I had a very good experience with them last year. If you are staying at a hotel DT and getting the shuttle pass, you could always take the shuttle back to Civic Center and hail a cab there and take it to whatever night show venue. It will be a lot easier to grab one down there then by the park. To the Independent, it is some backtracking (~$10) but probably worth it then trying to fight the OSL crowds or suffer the walk. Took the shuttle last year and didn't have a problem hailing a cab at Civic Center. Lines at the shuttle stop at the park was quick if you left the headliner a little early.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 05-10-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: confusing sentence

I would recommend leaving the headliners at the encore break anyways if you are trying to take MUNI someplace. However if Paul is playing the end of Abbey Road as his encore that might just be a little hard to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

That Paul McCartney setlist is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealocus View Post
    I feel dumb but I have no idea what UBER, MUNI, Lyft, etc are.
    Good.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Good.
    Ooooh, my first suprefan insult. Screenshot'ed it and gonna make it my default picture on Facebook.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    I would recommend leaving the headliners at the encore break anyways if you are trying to take MUNI someplace. However if Paul is playing the end of Abbey Road as his encore that might just be a little hard to do.
    What's the typical wait? Last year I walked but I'm staying somewhere else this year

I stay only about a mile away so if I don't leave during the encore I can walk it so exact wait I don't know. But I do know that I've been at dinner eating about 30-40 mins after the fest ends and the N was still jam packed like a sardine can at the time. Even if you leave at the encore break it still jammed pack however if you don't get on the first one then for sure the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

If I walk north to Geary and take the 38(L) downtown, will I avoid massive crowded buses at the end of the night using this method? Or am I one of several thousand locals that also thought of this and it won't really save me any waiting time at all? Would it be necessary to take it even further by walking to California and taking whatever line that is, the 1 I believe?
    Last edited by ManImCool; 05-10-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Because.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

in my experience the 38 is not at all crowded after concerts in the park. it's enough blocks away, and I think most people head in other directions (either to Muni south of the park or to the Haight), that not too many people take that route.

Any idea when tickets sold out last year? I havent been since 2011 but really want to make the journey out there again this year. Just waiting on that cash flow to come through then scoopin some tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    If I walk north to Geary and take the 38(L) downtown, will I avoid massive crowded buses at the end of the night using this method? Or am I one of several thousand locals that also thought of this and it won't really save me any waiting time at all? Would it be necessary to take it even further by walking to California and taking whatever line that is, the 1 I believe?
    I'm pretty sure I took the 38 or the 31 last year and had no problem. It gets really crowded the more east you try to get on ( obviously), but I got on at one of the first stops and it was chill.

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    I tried that two years ago on the Friday night and the buses were already packed. Ever since that night, I have found the best way to go is to walk west (yes, away from downtown), around the west side of Spreckels Lake and get to 36th Avenue and Fulton Street. There are empty buses that line up right there and you pile on to one of those buses as that is western point they pick people up. And they are free since there are too many people trying to get on for them to wait for payment. I've done this trick the last five nights I've left from OSL and have never had a problem with it. Just make sure you get on the right bus going downtown. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes to get on a bus, but usually I'm in one within 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    I tried that two years ago on the Friday night and the buses were already packed. Ever since that night, I have found the best way to go is to walk west (yes, away from downtown), around the west side of Spreckels Lake and get to 36th Avenue and Fulton Street. There are empty buses that line up right there and you pile on to one of those buses as that is western point they pick people up. And they are free since there are too many people trying to get on for them to wait for payment. I've done this trick the last five nights I've left from OSL and have never had a problem with it. Just make sure you get on the right bus going downtown. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes to get on a bus, but usually I'm in one within 5 minutes.
    Just like taking Bart from downtown during rush hour...if you backtrack a few stops, you can find seats.

You could even try jumping on a bus going WEST and let it turn around if things get dicey.

Uber also has cabs and UberX, which is essentially an Uber version of Lyft, now. They'll definitely hike up the rate for OSL, but I think Uber is the most consistently available of Uber/Lyft/SideCar.

Despite living in SF, I've never been able to make it until this year. Pretty excited, the beer and food options look incredible, and even though there is a lot of Coachella overlap, there is plenty I want to see (or see again).

What hotels would you guys recommend to stay in after the festival? My girlfriend and I are going to make a little vacation out of it so we want something relatively nice. We usually stay at the Hyatt Place in Seattle, so that can give you an idea of what we like.

Also any activities that are pretty fun (and I don't care about if they're "touristy" or not). I definitelywant to go to Alcatraz Island so leave that one out.

Do the audio tour at Alcatraz. Really well done, even pretty eerie at times.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Have you done the night tour? I REALLY want to but my girlfriend is pretty hesitant.

Book early, tours generally sell out in advance from my experience.

Note: my experience is trying to book it a couple days to a week before. I still haven't done the tour even though I've been in the bay for over a decade...

How were the shuttles last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealocus View Post
    What hotels would you guys recommend to stay in after the festival? My girlfriend and I are going to make a little vacation out of it so we want something relatively nice. We usually stay at the Hyatt Place in Seattle, so that can give you an idea of what we like.

Also any activities that are pretty fun (and I don't care about if they're "touristy" or not). I definitelywant to go to Alcatraz Island so leave that one out.
    * Asian Art Museum is a great museum to go to in SF during the day, just because it is insanely high-quality yet a focus that you can't replicate easily in other cities.
    * Thursday night is Night Life at the California Academy of Sciences, which means you get to go touch starfish and walk through a planetarium with an IPA in your hand.
    * I would spend a day in Hayes Valley, go to Biergarten in the afternoon (outdoor German beer garden in an old parking lot), Blue Bottle Coffee has a cool stand in an alley, Boxing Room is a great brunch/lunch spot with New Orleans style food and a great beer list, really good shops for both genders.
    * If you can do any of the Off the Grid food truck parties (several locations in the city throughout the week), those are great although the biggest one is Friday night.
    * Kabuki Theater in Japantown is a great spot to watch a movie.

Those would be good activities to do, but aren't that touristy either.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Also on the bay waters will be the America's Cup races...don't really know what the Louis Vuitton Cup is, but it's Semi Finals will be happening the week of Outside Lands according to this schedule:

http://cdn.sparkart.net/americascup/...SEP2013_V8.pdf

As for what to do in SF, if you're interested in football, or just want to see a game at Candlestick before it's destroyed, the 49ers will be playing a preseason game at home on August 8th.

The Giants will also be in town the entire week as well, if you like baseball or want to see a slighter more modern stadium.

Could always walk/bike across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Giants games are fun. That stadium is the best in America IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    * Asian Art Museum is a great museum to go to in SF during the day, just because it is insanely high-quality yet a focus that you can't replicate easily in other cities.
    * Thursday night is Night Life at the California Academy of Sciences, which means you get to go touch starfish and walk through a planetarium with an IPA in your hand.
    * I would spend a day in Hayes Valley, go to Biergarten in the afternoon (outdoor German beer garden in an old parking lot), Blue Bottle Coffee has a cool stand in an alley, Boxing Room is a great brunch/lunch spot with New Orleans style food and a great beer list, really good shops for both genders.
    * If you can do any of the Off the Grid food truck parties (several locations in the city throughout the week), those are great although the biggest one is Friday night.
    * Kabuki Theater in Japantown is a great spot to watch a movie.

Those would be good activities to do, but aren't that touristy either.
    Kabuki is worth checking out, as is the Castro Theatre (though check the schedule, one screen, mostly classic movies, but a great historic venue).

Some good resources for things to do in SF. There is so much of this that I need to do...

http://sftravel.com/san-francisco/things-to-do.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...alifornia.html

I've lived in the Bay my entire life and I haven't done Alcatraz, don't think I ever will.