Page 51 of 108 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. What about Chinese food? SF is supposed to be famous for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    For late night chinese food, I'd say go to North Beach (Broadway and Columbus). There are some good options there you can look up that are open until 3am or so. Also lots of bars in that area as well as late night pizza, mexican, and strip clubs. Again this is away from the park and you would take a cab from Civic Center (~$15)
    What he said. Go to the source (chinatown). ^ Broadway/Columbus is like the northern border of chinatown. Depending on how late you're planning on grubbing there, I can throw you some specific places depending on if you're wanting to eat daytime or late night time if you don't want to use the yelp machine. I'm extremely familiar with what authentic chinese food is and what americanized chinese crap food is and what the stuff in between is.

So, tourists/white people, here's a free lesson. I present to you:
    MIC's SF Chinatown quicktips

Chinatown quicktip #1:
    If you walk into a restaurant in chinatown, and the name of the restaurant includes cheesy words like "dragon" or "garden" or "jade" or "palace", chances are, you're walking into an unauthentic tourist trap. And you'll walk in, eat, give them your money, and walk away with a satisfied belly, saying "that was some damn good authentic chinese food", without realizing how wrong you are. Avoid these restaurants.

Chinatown quicktip #2
    The two main north/south streets of chinatown are Grant and Stockton. The tip here is to avoid Grant. While there are some rare gems of good authentic chinese food scattered here and there, most of Grant St is a giant tourist trap. The real shit is one block over on the parallel Stockton. Please try and avoid Grant St if you can, unless you really need to buy a goofy hat and take pictures and see lots of other white people with cameras. Go to Stockton, or many of the crosstreets in between Grant and Stockton. Lots of gems all up in there.

Chinatown kindoflongtipbutworththeread #3
    The less English, the better. When I walk into a chinese restaurant, I can determine in seconds pretty accurately how good and authentic a chinese place is just by glancing at the menu and looking around at the walls (chinese restaurants often write their deals and specials onto paper and then tape them high up on the walls for all to see). If you are looking at the menu/walls, and all you see is Chinese written all over it, you hit the jackpot of damn good authentic chinese food. The only negative here, of course, is most tourists/white people don't speak Cantonese, so you're SOL if you don't bring a friend that speaks the language. Luckily I can speak it myself so I don't have this problem, although the confused reactions I get by the locals when they see a white-looking man speaking Cantonese without an accent is pretty funny. Anyways, most restaurants, even the super ultra mega authentic hole-in-the-wall places, don't have JUST chinese, since we are in Murica after all. They will likely have english and chinese written on the menus. Most of the time, this will be ok though. ESPECIALLY if, on the menu, the chinese is listed FIRST and then the terrible english translation is listed second underneath it. This is a huge generalization, but a good authentic chinese restaurant is catering towards actual chinese people, and mostly everything is in Chinese, and English only comes as an afterthought when they remember "oh shit we're in America, we may run into some white people" to help out those white customers that got lost and found their way inside. (Bonus points: the menus have Chinese/English, but the walls only have Chinese on them) Now, if that menu has the English first, and Chinese second, now we are wandering into potential troubleland. If English is prominent and Chinese seems to be an afterthought, chances are, you're not at a good place. And finally, if you are looking at the menu/walls, and there is ONLY English, jesus christ, grab your shit and run out that door. That food will be terrible. But again, it might taste delicious to the average Panda Express/P.F. Changes enthusiast. I only write this to say it will not taste good or authentic to someone that knows what real chinese food is supposed to taste like.

Not-really-in-actual-Chinatown quicktip #4
    If you're one of those vegan gluten-free weirdos that probably smell funny and wears birkenstocks, then go to Enjoy Vegetarian Restaurant. There are 3 locations, 2 of which are close to GG park. I've never stepped foot inside one because I like to bathe in meat, so I can't speak to its authenticity, but I've heard good things.

Chinatown quicktip #5
    Most of chinatown starts to shut down around 630pmish, but real meals can still be had late night, you'll just have very limited options to choose from. Walk around chinatown around noon and then walk that same route around 7:00pm and you'll see what I mean.

Chinatown quicktip #6
    One of the best restaurants in chinatown ever, period, closed down about a year ago. R.I.P. Sam Wo Restaurant. Open until 3am too. Sigh.

Ok enough about Chinese food in the OSL thread. God damn it, now I'm kinda hungry for some late night chinese food. Good thing I live in North Beach.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

Hopefully J5 play during RHCP. I'd rather stay behind and see a band I normally wouldn't watch than go home early.
    8/9-11 - Outside Lands 8/24 - Godflesh & Jucifer 9/3 - Loma Prieta 9/6 - Church of Ra 9/28 - Jesu & JK Flesh 10/11 - Carcass 10/27 - At the Gates

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    Chinatown quicktip #6
    One of the best restaurants in chinatown ever, period, closed down about a year ago. R.I.P. Sam Wo Restaurant. Open until 3am too. Sigh.

Ok enough about Chinese food in the OSL thread. God damn it, now I'm kinda hungry for some late night chinese food. Good thing I live in North Beach.
    Wait... is Sam Wo anything like Sam Woo? quick internet search says no. Just curious what you think of Sam Woo BBQ, which has a couple locations around SoCal/LV and an uneven reputation. We used to go to the Sepulveda spot and enjoyed it a lot. Never tried the Vegas version, too much good food to eat there.

I think I get what you're trying to say, but again, don't mislead out-of-towners into thinking you're in some central area nearby everything, and that leaving the festival by foot and wandering around the richmond/sunset district will mean you are walking around the city and soaking the city in. Yeah you can grab a 22 from the market across the street but you're still in the Richmond or Sunset district depending on how you exited the festival. If you come to SF and go directly to OSL and are staying adjacent to the park and only visit places that are within short-to-moderate walking distances of those places, then you're not experiencing the city at all.
    this

Last year I stayed across from the park and it wasnt as fun as I had hoped. (Correct me if I'm wrong) There's not much to do/see directly outside of the festival, comparatively of course. My buds stayed near the Bill Graham and used the shuttle last year. They had a blast at all the bars/restaurants. So, that's what I'll be doing this year. Getting me a slice of SF culture, even if that culture involves lots and lots and lots and lots of homeless people...

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Wait... is Sam Wo anything like Sam Woo? quick internet search says no. Just curious what you think of Sam Woo BBQ, which has a couple locations around SoCal/LV and an uneven reputation. We used to go to the Sepulveda spot and enjoyed it a lot. Never tried the Vegas version, too much good food to eat there.
    Definitely not the same. Sam Wo is a historic SF restaurant that opened up in 1912.

Also, I forgot quicktip #7, that is not exclusive to SF but really all over the U.S.
    Fortune cookies are not Chinese. Americanized gimmick. The majority of authentic chinese restaurants I've been to in my lifetime do NOT serve fortune cookies. That doesn't mean it's not possible to find good food at a place that hands those things out at the end of a meal, but getting offered red bean soup after dinner is much more common at a legit place.

Because.

Sam Wo CLOSED?!?!?!?!

Fuck you San Francisco for letting a great american institution shut down. I loved going there late night, getting a huge bowl of noodles with BBQ pork and some bbq pork cold rolls and getting yelled at by the wait staff. That was some of the best food.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    July-ish. When they decide if they need to do single day tickets in order to get a sell out.
    Woooooof
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

#8 Dim Sum, traditionally, is an early afternoon meal. Getting there after noon limits your food selections since they are trying to clear out the back kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by syrrus101 View Post
    this

Last year I stayed across from the park and it wasnt as fun as I had hoped. (Correct me if I'm wrong) There's not much to do/see directly outside of the festival, comparatively of course. My buds stayed near the Bill Graham and used the shuttle last year. They had a blast at all the bars/restaurants. So, that's what I'll be doing this year. Getting me a slice of SF culture, even if that culture involves lots and lots and lots and lots of homeless people...
    yes, this. There is a ton of things to do/places/clubs/bars etc in that area, all walking or a 5 minute cab ride from that area. Re the homeless people, the Bill Graham is technically in the civic center area, but for all intents and purposes it's in the Tenderloin district. The Tenderloin is the district most people have referred to in this thread as being sketchy or a place you don't want to walk through. I kinda wanted to elaborate on that. Yeah, it's one of the highest concentrated crime rate area, and yeah, it's literally swarming with crackheads that have no shame in pestering people for money... having said that, it's not that bad. This is a generalization, but the people in the tenderloin are generally harmless. Yeah, they might be eye-fucking the shit out of your wallet-pocket or purse, and yeah, you might be asked for spare change, but you're generally physically not in danger. During the daytime, while I wouldn't choose it, I wouldn't have any problems or feel uncomfortable walking straight through the Tenderloin by myself. With a group of people? No sweat. Nighttime, however, is a bit different, as I probably don't have thick enough skin to walk straight through the heart of the Tenderloin alone. If I was with a group of people (and have been several times) then walking through the Tenderloin at night is no big deal. If you're having hesitations about staying near (but not directly in) the Tenderloin, don't. It's night and day the difference being even one block away from the Tenderloin can make. 2 blocks away from the Tenderloin and you wouldn't even know that you're 2 blocks away from a troubled area.

Here's a rough sketch of what the districts and neighborhoods look like of the city, in case this helps anyone. Shit this is even helpful to people that live in the city now, I get confused all the time.

Because.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    #8 Dim Sum, traditionally, is an early afternoon meal. Getting there after noon limits your food selections since they are trying to clear out the back kitchen.
    Yep. Those kitchen workers usually get there EARLY in the AM to handcraft every single piece of dim sum, and that is usually the only time they make dim sum. It's not like they keep making more throughout the day as their supply runs low, as it's a very time-consuming process to make that shit. Absolutey correct, in that if you're trying to hunt down good dim sum at 3pm or worse, well, all the Chinese people already beat you to most of the goods several hours ago and there isn't much left. And it's been sitting there all day. I've always considered dim sum as a lunch or even brunch/breakfast food.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Sam Wo CLOSED?!?!?!?!

Fuck you San Francisco for letting a great american institution shut down. I loved going there late night, getting a huge bowl of noodles with BBQ pork and some bbq pork cold rolls and getting yelled at by the wait staff. That was some of the best food.
    This. This fucking sucks. Can't believe it's already been closed down a year. When they closed it down, we weren't even given fair warning, like "hey we'll be closing in 2 months from now". It literally happened like "sorry to inform everyone, but we are closing in 5 days from now" or something like that. Definitely less than a week's warning. There is talk of it reopening back up if they can get the funding to make the necessary renovations and updates to the building.
    Last edited by ManImCool; 04-23-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Because.

Tendernob, LOL. Thanks for the map, MIC, never seen one that clearly layed out. I too have walked through the Tenderloin at night, by myself, with friends, with my gf, wasted off my ass, and never had an issue. I typically stay around 7th & Folsom and walk from there to wherever I'm going, Ruby Skye, Mezzanine, The Warfield, etc. All of which require some meandering through and around 6th Street and/or Market, which possess quite a bit of sketch. The area around The Warfield and 6th Street are pretty hairy but I keep my head up and walk fast and nobody has ever hassled me.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Ha! I was just about to comment on that... Tendernob is my old stompin' grounds, complete with crackheads, tranny hookers (Larkin and Sutter parking garage, for those interested), and bum feces. Landlords like to call the area "Lower Nob Hill," but Tendernob and the alternative "Polk Gulch" are much more fitting. Lots of good bars there on Polk Street, between Bush and Post. On a range from divey to classy, my regular spots were Hemlock, Vertigo, R Bar (technically on Sutter) McTeagues, Pour House, and Lush Lounge. For the cider enthusiasts, UpCider is relatively new and on the second floor with floor to ceiling windows overlooking Polk so you can view the shenanigans from a safe distance.

For those walking up from Civic Center, I would recommend coming up Polk or even Van Ness, as Larkin between Civic Center and Geary can be a bit more shady.

yes, this. There is a ton of things to do/places/clubs/bars etc in that area, all walking or a 5 minute cab ride from that area. Re the homeless people, the Bill Graham is technically in the civic center area, but for all intents and purposes it's in the Tenderloin district. The Tenderloin is the district most people have referred to in this thread as being sketchy or a place you don't want to walk through. I kinda wanted to elaborate on that. Yeah, it's one of the highest concentrated crime rate area, and yeah, it's literally swarming with crackheads that have no shame in pestering people for money... having said that, it's not that bad. This is a generalization, but the people in the tenderloin are generally harmless. Yeah, they might be eye-fucking the shit out of your wallet-pocket or purse, and yeah, you might be asked for spare change, but you're generally physically not in danger. During the daytime, while I wouldn't choose it, I wouldn't have any problems or feel uncomfortable walking straight through the Tenderloin by myself. With a group of people? No sweat. Nighttime, however, is a bit different, as I probably don't have thick enough skin to walk straight through the heart of the Tenderloin alone. If I was with a group of people (and have been several times) then walking through the Tenderloin at night is no big deal. If you're having hesitations about staying near (but not directly in) the Tenderloin, don't. It's night and day the difference being even one block away from the Tenderloin can make. 2 blocks away from the Tenderloin and you wouldn't even know that you're 2 blocks away from a troubled area.
    This. I've been to SF about a dozen times in the last year to see shows. I always get a hostel and end up have a great time. Here's a few tips on dealing with transients.

- When they approach just smile and be polite.
    - If you smoke, never smoke cigs in the open. You will be hastled non stop.
    - If they are trying to get your attention, dont stop and talk like a nice guy. Just say, "oh, sorry" and keep walking.

I know it seems silly to have a protocol about this sort of thing, but it really will save you some hassle.

Kind of a funny story: I was waiting in line to see Coheed and Cambria at the Warfield not long ago. There was a homeless woman (and I mean homeless) She was in tatters, drunk, screaming in peoples faces. Of course I look like "the nice guy" so she B lines it for me. I saw her coming from a mile away so before she had a chance to start spewing vitriol I said, "Hey! You know, there's more people in line to talk to. Why do you have to talk to me? Just move along, I wont be very fun." Everyone around me laughed, she nodded, and moved on.

So I live in the tenderloin (o'farrell and leavenworth) and it is not that bad as long as you are not visibly blacked out stumbling all over the place. I just had a bar acquaintance get jumped and have his leg broken but he is a drunk idiot. So its not toooooo bad but just be careful and travel in a pack. I was also just recently at a bar on jones where a gang fight broke out in it and there was stabbings galore that was not fun. Again stay at bars at o'farrell and above and its a lot of fun.

I'm adding one to my list for the beer enthusiasts in that area... Amsterdam Cafe is your place! (Geary b/t Polk and Larkin)

Warning: cash only!
    Last edited by knotted_donuts; 04-23-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: cash only

Anybody ever hit up on Aces on Sutter? It's right by the hotel I usually book, fun neighborhood bar.
    4/18- Disclosure, Greek
    4/18- Flight Facilities, Mezzanine
    5/1- ArminOnly, SAP Center
    5/7- Kaskade, Mighty
    5/8- Boys Noize, Beta
    5/10- Sphongle, Red Rocks Amp
    5/16- David Guetta, SJEC
    5/17- Lindsey Stirling, Warfield
    5/17- Purity Ring (DJ set),
    5/25- Avril Lavigne, Shoreline
    6/1- BFD, Shoreline
    7/30- Arcade Fire, Shoreline
    8/17- Paramore- Concord Pavilion
    9/22 & 23- Katy Perry, SAP Center

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    I'm adding one to my list for the beer enthusiasts in that area... Amsterdam Cafe is your place! (Geary b/t Polk and Larkin)

Warning: cash only!
    Too lazy to go back and read the whole thread, but did anyone mention Toranado down on Haight? THE best selection plus you can bring in a sausage sandwich from the shop next door.

re: bars for those staying nearby the park.

Inner Richmond has some bars on Geary between 2nd & 11th Ave as well as Clement St. As for food, there are some Japanese restaurants on Balboa st walking towards Geary from the park. Its a decent walk but doe-able.

Haight Asbury has bars and food options at the base of the Park if you are staying that direction.

I LOVE Tornado!!! I always get a few Plinys there . Only bad part of Tornado is the smell once you walk in.
    4/18- Disclosure, Greek
    4/18- Flight Facilities, Mezzanine
    5/1- ArminOnly, SAP Center
    5/7- Kaskade, Mighty
    5/8- Boys Noize, Beta
    5/10- Sphongle, Red Rocks Amp
    5/16- David Guetta, SJEC
    5/17- Lindsey Stirling, Warfield
    5/17- Purity Ring (DJ set),
    5/25- Avril Lavigne, Shoreline
    6/1- BFD, Shoreline
    7/30- Arcade Fire, Shoreline
    8/17- Paramore- Concord Pavilion
    9/22 & 23- Katy Perry, SAP Center

The best part about Toronado is that I've never been in there and not heard at least one Iron Maiden song. Obscure ones too.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalCastlesFreak View Post
    Anybody ever hit up on Aces on Sutter? It's right by the hotel I usually book, fun neighborhood bar.
    I bar hopped this year for NYE and ended up ringing in the new year at Aces! cheap drinks and decent people.

There's so much great advice on here. Thanks to ManImCool and everyone else.

My fiance is Asian so we're all about eating authentic.

And lol about being asked if you want red bean for desert. That truly is a sign that it's a good Chinese restaurant.

Getting yelled at is also a good sign. The louder the place the better. Ha

Absolutely, if they are shrieking at you as soon as you walk in, you know the food is gonna be on point.

Not to derail the excellent discourse on Chinese restaurant selections, I really believe that VW is going to be a Twin Peaks closer along with Kaskade and Pretty Lights. They are slotted right where Sigur Ros was last year on the poster (between Skrillex and Justice who were the other two Twin Peaks closers). They would be up against NIN or RHCP and would make sense scheduling/crowd wise. That is assuming they are playing on Sunday like their website says and Macca is not playing Sunday due to other tour dates.

That would leave YYY, The National, and Phoenix as subheadliners on the main stage. D'angelo and Willie, I could see closing out Sutro kinda like Erykah Badu, Norah Jones, etc. I'm on the fence about Jurassic 5 and what stage they would be on. I feel like they would be on either Sutro or Twin Peaks later in the day rather than early on the main stage. Hall and Oates and Trombone Shorty will be playing main stage midday, IMO.

I'de say you're pretty spot on with your predictions. I've seen Kaskade 3x, even though its a lil cheese, hes really quite good. But I really want to see Pretty Lights, I missed him at Coachella this year ( I had some serious conflicts at that time slot) The only way ill be able to see him at OSL is if he goes up against RHCP (PLEEEEEASSSSE!) Other than that Im boned. Paul and Trent have my full attention.

Yikes.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Sorry G, didnt mean to startle you. Dont sneak up on me like that.

Are you under the age of 21? Or just...awful?

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Whats wrong with Paul? or Trent? I know you love Kaskade and/or all EDM since you're going to MD. Im 27 btw. And super tolerant of other peoples opinions.

Bad day huh?