Page 4 of 108 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kfordham View Post
    Like others have said, there are things to do in the city. Last year, OSL was running more intimate shows at the area's nearby venues, but I think most nights we ended up just getting back to the hotel after and falling asleep, waking up, and starting all over again. haha
    I kind of wish I saw OM&M at their night show, I had to miss most of their set when they played due to the mid-day schedule changes.

Willie Nelson is scheduled for a lot of touring this year. No NorCal date yet....

Hollywood Bowl: Friday, August 9th & Saturday, August 10th...

Means he'd have to play on Sunday. I don't know...he doesn't seem like a "close the festival out" kind of act... thoughts?

http://willienelson.com/tour/
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I think he would be more likely to play the same slot that John Fogerty and Al Green did.
    Last edited by stochasticism; 01-29-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    Willie Nelson is scheduled for a lot of touring this year. No NorCal date yet....

Hollywood Bowl: Friday, August 9th & Saturday, August 10th...

Means he'd have to play on Sunday. I don't know...he doesn't seem like a "close the festival out" kind of act... thoughts?

http://willienelson.com/tour/
    Jack White spot. I'd say the Bowl dates with no NorCal date is pretty much confirmation.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

I can see Willie in the Tom Jones spot on the Sutro Stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Looking forward to going back. Last year was my first Outside Lands and I had a lot of fun meeting up with my cousin and her friends. Last year's presale went on sale on 3/16 for $165.00. Going to try for it this year. Already got the motel which is near the shuttle pick up. Loved the bacon grilled cheese sandwich last year...
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Willie on Sutro would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by hurtnandez89 View Post
    Willie on Sutro would be nice
    Yeah, I think that is the most logical spot for him as the Sutro closer, otherwise a mid day slot on the Main stage.

Definitely buying early bird tickets this year now that I live in the Sunset. I'm half a mile from the south side entrance so I feel like its a no brainer. And at the early bird pricing, they would literally have to crap the bed on the line-up for it to not be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Hopefully they lower the limit of early bird tickets you can buy this year to cut back on Scalpers. Last year early bird tickets went fast and out me and my 5 friends only 2 of us managed to lock in the early bird price.

I can't wait for the early birds to come out.

I've never been to SF. What is the credited hotel to stay at for OSL?

Also, I am forgoing chella to go to EDC & OSL. I've never been to either so I thought it would be nice for a change. My GF went to EDC a couple of times back when it was in LA.

This year will be my first OSL!

For those who have traveled to OSL in the past, where is the best area to stay? Not so much concerned about price as I am ease of getting to the fest. Seems like everywhere is at least 3+ miles away.

Is the shuttle a good option? Frequent? Reliable? I am thinking of staying somewhere close to the Civic Center and hoppin' on the shuttle from there, but am I going to spend more time waiting for a shuttle than actually saving time by taking the shuttle? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Outside lands thread. Where people discuss Willie Nelson....extensively.

Nice Iced Keg.

Fourfeathers, I don't have the answers to all your questions, but I think your plan is a solid one. I've lived close enough to not have to take the shuttle so I don't know for sure but I think the shuttle works pretty well. The one issue people have with OSL is getting back from the fest since there are not too many hotels out by the park. If you know how to work the MUNI or bus lines you don't have to pay for the shuttle, but its probably easiest to just get the shuttle and make it simple for yourself.

I would look at the old OSL threads and see what everyone says about the shuttles if those threads are still around.

Its really a great festival with all the food, beer, wine options on top of the music of course. Its not a late night fest like Bonnaroo or even Coachella and the shows end at 10:00 pm each night, but when the festival is finished you are still in San Francisco with a multitude of options including the late night shows, bars, clubs, etc. Much more similar to Lolla, but a significantly better venue. I'm sure you will enjoy it as long as you bring plenty of layers because the park in August can get freezing at night.

The Park in August can get freezing during the day time. However the past few years the weather has actually been pretty nice that weekend.

The shuttle is convenient because there are a ton of em lined up when you arrive at the Civic or leave the park. So I thought it was worth it, driving in that shitty traffic after would blow.

Quote Originally Posted by chbludevil View Post
    check the date on your article
    Quote Originally Posted by fourfeathers View Post

For those who have traveled to OSL in the past, where is the best area to stay? Not so much concerned about price as I am ease of getting to the fest. Seems like everywhere is at least 3+ miles away.

Is the shuttle a good option? Frequent? Reliable? I am thinking of staying somewhere close to the Civic Center and hoppin' on the shuttle from there, but am I going to spend more time waiting for a shuttle than actually saving time by taking the shuttle? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Last year we stayed at Laurel Inn which is in Laurel Heights on California St. and Presido Ave. Its a cute little boutique hotel that is closer than most hotels to the festival. It is really easy to get to OSL from this hotel as well because the bus stop that takes you close to the park is right across the street. All you have to do is take the #1 bus down California St. until you get to about 28th-30th Ave (which is fairly close to the north side entrance) and walk from there. Also, one night we actually walked back to the hotel through the Haight and it wasn't so bad.

stayed with a friend in San Rafael so we drove every day and lucked out parking at a school Friday, the other 2 days were pretty rough as far as finding parking and almost missed my flight out Sunday night because of the traffic, but overall driving was not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. loved the weather, especially considering it was 100 down here in SD that weekend.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Willie Nelson would be epic!

Note about early bird: It sells out FAST!!! I've had a lot of luck using the ticket master app on my phone to get through and get tickets on high demand tickets compared to buying it off the main website.

I was also looking at staying at a hostel in Union Square, but its quite a distance from where the busses pick up. Might just splurge a little more and stay where we stayed at last time.

also... http://edwardsharpeandthemagneticzeros.com/tour/

Looks like they are playing random festivals again this summer. Maybe they'll show up in San Fran?
    Last edited by kfordham; 01-30-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Any chance we get Atoms for Peace? Radiohead was as OSL the first year so now with the new album AoP could show up. Would love to see Thom Yorke again in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by kfordham View Post
    Willie Nelson would be epic!

Note about early bird: It sells out FAST!!! I've had a lot of luck using the ticket master app on my phone to get through and get tickets on high demand tickets compared to buying it off the main website.

I was also looking at staying at a hostel in Union Square, but its quite a distance from where the busses pick up. Might just splurge a little more and stay where we stayed at last time.

also... http://edwardsharpeandthemagneticzeros.com/tour/

Looks like they are playing random festivals again this summer. Maybe they'll show up in San Fran?
    Edward Sharpe is playing the Bottle Rock Festival in Napa. Not sure if we will see any overlap from that festival and the OSL lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by stochasticism View Post
    Edward Sharpe is playing the Bottle Rock Festival in Napa. Not sure if we will see any overlap from that festival and the OSL lineup.
    Yeah, I don't think we are going to see any overlap from BR and OSL.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by fourfeathers View Post

That's because pretty much everything is. The park is way out in the residential part of the city, and the vast majority of hotels are downtown. However, this is doable because of the MUNI lines that run right along the park. Familiarize yourself with that shit, and you're good.

Lurker

For all of those who have been thinking Green Day....you may be on to something. Outside Lands (and it's sister festival, Treasure Island) are all about booking bands from the Bay Area, whether they be smaller opening acts, or headliners. It's no wonder they booked Metallica last year, and it's not even surprising they booked Further a few years back. They're always about supporting the local Bay stuff. That being said, Green Day makes sense for a logical and home-based headliner that would have a lot of draw. We can only hope that they play a setlist that would cater to their region of origin....which means only material from before 99.

Also, the Rolling Stones seem plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoWizard75 View Post
    For all of those who have been thinking Green Day....you may be on to something. Outside Lands (and it's sister festival, Treasure Island) are all about booking bands from the Bay Area, whether they be smaller opening acts, or headliners. It's no wonder they booked Metallica last year, and it's not even surprising they booked Further a few years back. They're always about supporting the local Bay stuff. That being said, Green Day makes sense for a logical and home-based headliner that would have a lot of draw. We can only hope that they play a setlist that would cater to their region of origin....which means only material from before 99.

No.

They already tweeted that they don't have The Rolling Stones.

This post was kind of relevant, and then you had to go and fuck it up with that Rolling Stones comment. Damn you.

More speculation on headliners for 2013. Last year they really upped their game with the headliners. So hopefully that was the trend and not an anomaly.

I know that people have thrown out Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam. I think Phoenix or RHCP are options as well. Green Day could be a possibility but they would really have to play an oldies set for it to be any good. Any other thoughts? What about big EDM acts for the Twin Peaks closer?

I see Phoenix as this years festival whores. RHCP would make sense however I think Coachella is going to be the end of their touring like it was in 07 (unless they already released more dates afterword). I would love for Pearl Jam to be the first repeat headliner but I think that is going to go to DMB next year. I'm going to to go with Phoenix, The Killers, and Billy Joel.

Thanks very much to everyone for the answers to my questions! After reading the very positive reviews on the shuttle last year, I think I'll stay downtown or somewhere close to the shuttle and go from there. The area around the shuttle pick-up I've heard is sketchy, but is it just non-city types calling it sketchy? I've lived in big cities my whole life so I'm used to lots of street drunks. Are these areas "sketchy" just because of these bums or do I actually have something to worry about, like prolific armed robberies or something?

And man, I feel like after such a sweet lineup last year, there's no waaaay they could come back with Green Day, DMB and RHCP as the top 3. They gotta come back even bigger and that would be a serious downgrade, at least in my eyes. Wonder if it's time for a Petty return?