Page 11 of 108 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

  1. #301
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,157

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    So because he made 4.7 million in ticket sales that is automatically what he is going to charge to play a festival? If all he cared about was making money then why doesn't he do full tours and hit up ever major area every year? Why would he even bother to ever play Coachella, Bonnaroo or some of the other European fest he has in the past if money was his soul driving factor? Not to mention he last played the bay area three years ago so how come that doesn't count as awhile?

    I know you think you are right with your stats and numbers but this Paul McCartney we are talking about so you are wrong. OSL would be crazy not to book him if he wants to play it.
    All of those for profit festivals paid Paul in the $4 million range and I would think it set back Bonnaroo closer to $5 million to land him. I've seen nothing indicating that OSL can afford more than $1.5 million for a single headliner. Not even every penny from the 10,000 extra fans covers that difference.

    Fans that saw the 2010 show will see a very similar 2013 setlist and production.

  2. #302
    old school unit300021's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, for now...
    Posts
    3,512

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    All of those for profit festivals paid Paul in the $4 million range and I would think it set back Bonnaroo closer to $5 million to land him. I've seen nothing indicating that OSL can afford more than $1.5 million for a single headliner. Not even every penny from the 10,000 extra fans covers that difference.

    Fans that saw the 2010 show will see a very similar 2013 setlist and production.
    Just out of curiosity do you actually know what APE/Superfly budget is for OSL or are you just assuming? You know what they say when you assume right?

    And so what if his set list and production will be very similar. I saw him at Coachella 09 and then at the Hollywood Bowl the following year with very similar set/production and still had a very different experience. But by your logic I'm an idiot for wanting to see him again right? No one in their right mind is going to say "I'm not going to go see Paul again because of the same production/songs that the Beatles played" "Or that sucked where was his new music? I wanted to hear that." All they are going to be saying was "Fuck Yeah Paul McCartney!" Either way I am done arguing this with you because I'm just tired of beating a dead horse. So I'll just end it with this, Once again he is fucking Paul McCartney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

  3. #303
    Member nick5745's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Fans that saw the 2010 show will see a very similar 2013 setlist and production.
    Oh really? You must've talked to Paul about it and he told you this?

  4. #304
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,157

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Just out of curiosity do you actually know what APE/Superfly budget is for OSL or are you just assuming?

    But by your logic I'm an idiot for wanting to see him again right?
    Festivals are selling out with ho-hum headliners. Roo/Chella/IOW each had progessively bigger headliners before chasing Macca. OSL biggest($$$) headliners might have been Metallica or Phish. In 2010 the top name was KOL.

    I'm only saying tens of thousands of people won't wish to drop hundreds to see him again so soon. OSL would be getting poor value for $4mil.

    Also, has he done shows with a 9:55pm curfew?

  5. #305
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Atoms for Peace is more likely to headline/sub-headline than Sir Paul

    11/19 Deafheaven @ MHOW
    11/20 Nils Frahm @ Glasslands
    11/21 Joy Orbison/Ben UFO @ ?
    11/22 Adam X @ Bossa Nova


    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

  6. #306
    old school unit300021's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, for now...
    Posts
    3,512

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Festivals are selling out with ho-hum headliners. Roo/Chella/IOW each had progessively bigger headliners before chasing Macca. OSL biggest($$$) headliners might have been Metallica or Phish. In 2010 the top name was KOL.

    I'm only saying tens of thousands of people won't wish to drop hundreds to see him again so soon. OSL would be getting poor value for $4mil.
    And I'm back in but this is it. The headliner argument is bullshit. OSL has had Radiohead, Petty, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Stevie and Neil. All headliners that have played both Coachella and/or Bonnaroo. Yes 2010 had KoL but it also had Furthur (who most on here might not enjoy but lets face it they are pretty big in the jam band scene) and one of the first reunited shows of The Strokes. So I'm sorry if I don't buy that bit of logic one bit.

    Also what makes you the authority on what people will will not spend their money on? But lets say you are right and none of those 40,000 or so people wont see him again. Well the bay area has a population of about 7 million people. I'm positive plenty of people that weren't able to see him last time would still love to be able to see him. Not to mention a single day OSL ticket would actually be less then a ticket for one of his shows at AT&T.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Atoms for Peace is more likely to headline/sub-headline than Sir Paul
    I 100% agree. I just think Bumblebee's logic behind what she(?) is saying is completely idiotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

  7. #307

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Festivals chase macca for credibility . Macca is the best, ultimate act that a festival could get.
    If you get macca, you made it....

    Macca saved coachella in 2009 from going bankrupt.... He single handlely sold out Friday in 2009,,,,, selling 75000 tix where as sat and sun only averaged 35 000 a day. In fact, after coachella got macca, coachella exploded in popularity and got international exposure . Yes, it did cost coachella 7 mill, but the long term look at how much they are making.

    Now great bands like the stones, the who, led zep are more incline to play coachella because macca played there already.

    Bonnaroo , because of macca. Will have more credibility.......and they have now surpassed coachella.

    Macca alone is better than the whole entire coschella line up.

    Coachella only hope was the Rolling Stones, but evidently they jumped the shark.

  8. #308

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Phoenix as a headliner????? What a joke!!!!!!!!
    Bonnaroo has Macca.........Glastonbury will get the stones...... And coachella?????? Phoenix???! Ahahahaha buffoons!!!!

  9. #309
    Member D-BO.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clayton, CA
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    the people that base a festivals integrity by it's headliners are the "buffoons"

  10. #310

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Festivals are selling out with ho-hum headliners. Roo/Chella/IOW each had progessively bigger headliners before chasing Macca. OSL biggest($$$) headliners might have been Metallica or Phish. In 2010 the top name was KOL.

    I'm only saying tens of thousands of people won't wish to drop hundreds to see him again so soon. OSL would be getting poor value for $4mil.

    Also, has he done shows with a 9:55pm curfew?
    OSL does not sell out in an hour, or even a week, or even a month. Sometimes it doesn't sell out at all. Other times it sells out a couple weeks before the fest but only after day by day tickets are available, which is usually a couple months after the 3 day tickets initially go on sale. Its not the same as Chella or Roo or even Sasquatch for that matter.

    Big names are required to get it to sell out. Last year it had an absolutely stacked headliner situation with six bands that are considered headliner status (Neil Young w/Crazy horse, Metallica, Stevie Wonder, Foo Fighters, Jack White, Beck) who have all headlined festivals before (Foos, JW, and Beck have all headlined Sasquatch) and it still didn't sell out until a few weeks before the fest.

    This year they have 10,000 more tickets to sell so they know they need to step it up another notch. I'm pretty sure the year that was Further, KOL, and the Strokes, did not sell out, but made enough money where they could step it up a notch into Phish, Muse, Arcade Fire, which they then stepped it up another notch last year.

    I think they really want to make this festival a big deal and considered inline with the other large city festivals - ACL or Lolla. After last year, I think they made their name known nationally and they want to continue building it up since they just extended their contract with Golden Gate Park.

    Whatever, this is all hearsay until they announce the line up in 1.5 months or so. Either way, I'm getting my early bird ticket because I'm 90% sure Paul will be there.

  11. #311
    Member hurtnandez89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    unfortunately i was not one of the lucky 40,000 to see MACCA at AT &T park because i was in vegas so if he is at OSL this year count me in to camp out at the mainstage all DAY!!

  12. #312
    old school unit300021's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, for now...
    Posts
    3,512

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Not to mention that APE signed a new contract with the City that extends it to 2021 I believe. So even if by signing Macca they take a loss this year it's going to help them out majorly for future years because it's no longer in the do or die stage of being a festival anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

  13. #313

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    OSL does not sell out in an hour, or even a week, or even a month. Sometimes it doesn't sell out at all. Other times it sells out a couple weeks before the fest but only after day by day tickets are available, which is usually a couple months after the 3 day tickets initially go on sale. Its not the same as Chella or Roo or even Sasquatch for that matter.
    Sasquatch has an extremely low capacity compared to other major festivals, can't really compare when that sales out in 1.5 hours compared to Chella or Roo. Capacity-wise, OSL is on the larger scale. But a Mumford/MACCA headlining would automatically make the weekend. I'd feel sorry for who ever ends up on the Twins Peak stage.

  14. #314

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    fuck, i hope that he is at osl.or else i will regret not going to bonnaroo.

  15. #315

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by kfordham View Post
    Sasquatch has an extremely low capacity compared to other major festivals, can't really compare when that sales out in 1.5 hours compared to Chella or Roo. Capacity-wise, OSL is on the larger scale. But a Mumford/MACCA headlining would automatically make the weekend. I'd feel sorry for who ever ends up on the Twins Peak stage.
    I know Sasquatch is around 25,000 and Roo and Chella are 70,000 to 90,000 but Sasquatch still gets some big headliners like Mumford who is also headlining Roo. Last year, Sasquatch's headliners were OSL subheadliners basically.

    And OSL is actually really good at scheduling and they will put some EDM or indie band going up against MACCA, like they did with Skrillex v. Stevie Wonder or Sigur Ros v. Metallica.

  16. #316

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    ^ that is true. It was very easy to catch the first half of the headlining set and then go catch the Twin Peaks set.

    http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/...day_feb_24.php

    Would be funny if he showed up at OSL just for the reason that he never plays SF. Not seeing it being likely this year, though.

    Also... I don't understand why OSL can't push their curfew to at least 11 Friday Saturday. It'd be nice to have more dark time in the park.
    Last edited by kfordham; 02-22-2013 at 06:01 PM.

  17. #317
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,157

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    OSL has had Radiohead, Petty, Pearl Jam, Further, Metallica, Stevie and Neil.

    I'm positive plenty of people that weren't able to see him last time would still love to be able to see him. Not to mention a single day OSL ticket would actually be less then a ticket for one of his shows at AT&T.
    None of those act cost more than $1.5m in the year they were booked.

    Paul's average ticket price in 2010 was $120. 2012 single day OSL pass was $95

    Quote Originally Posted by ucrmacca View Post
    Macca saved coachella in 2009 from going bankrupt.... He single handlely sold out Friday in 2009,,,,, selling 75000 tix where as sat and sun only averaged 35 000 a day. In fact, after coachella got macca, coachella exploded in popularity and got international exposure . Yes, it did cost coachella 7 mill, but the long term look at how much they are making.

    Now great bands like the stones, the who, led zep are more incline to play coachella because macca played there already.
    The non-Macca Coachella days in 2009 were over 60,000 looking at the billboard boxscore. The Friday did not feel noticably more crowded than the other days. That figure is also way higher than what I heard.

    What's interesting is both the Who(2010) and now the Stones gave Coachella the brush off after being in negotiations for weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BO. View Post
    the people that base a festivals integrity by it's headliners are the "buffoons"
    There's a reason the big headliners command silly money and promoters keep booking them. Coachella had "soft" headliners this year, pre-sold most tickets and sellers on stubhub are currently selling their tickets for a touch less than they paid for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    OSL does not sell out in an hour, or even a week, or even a month.

    Big names are required to get it to sell out. Last year it had an absolutely stacked headliner situation with six bands that are considered headliner status (Neil Young w/Crazy horse, Metallica, Stevie Wonder, Foo Fighters, Jack White, Beck) who have all headlined festivals before (Foos, JW, and Beck have all headlined Sasquatch) and it still didn't sell out until a few weeks before the fest.

    This year they have 10,000 more tickets to sell so they know they need to step it up another notch. I'm pretty sure the year that was Further, KOL, and the Strokes, did not sell out, but made enough money where they could step it up a notch into Phish, Muse, Arcade Fire, which they then stepped it up another notch last year.

    I think they really want to make this festival a big deal and considered inline with the other large city festivals - ACL or Lolla. After last year, I think they made their name known nationally and they want to continue building it up since they just extended their contract with Golden Gate Park.
    OSL aren't the only festival to raise capacity.

    Will OSL ever be taken seriously on a National/international level is they are a week after Lollapalooza?

    Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    So even if by signing Macca they take a loss this year it's going to help them out majorly for future years because it's no longer in the do or die stage of being a festival anymore.
    So if promoters spend $2mil more than they need to in 2013, then fans swill automatically fill a festival headlined by My Morning Jacket in 2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfordham View Post
    Sasquatch has an extremely low capacity compared to other major festivals, can't really compare when that sales out in 1.5 hours compared to Chella or Roo. Capacity-wise, OSL is on the larger scale.
    Sasquatch used to take months to sell out. As long as OSL keeps up their pace lineup wise they will sell their tickets fast and faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    I know Sasquatch is around 25,000 and Roo and Chella are 70,000 to 90,000 but Sasquatch still gets some big headliners like Mumford who is also headlining Roo. Last year, Sasquatch's headliners were OSL subheadliners basically.
    I think the Sasquatch promoter said the 2013 capacity was 27,500 when past years were 22,000. Lolla, Roo and Chella have also found ways to increase the number of tickets sold to the public. Yet they keep filling thier venues.

  18. #318

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    With Green Day making a comeback and playing SXSW, and NIN making a comeback and reportedly playing Lolla, I would think that both of these acts playing OSL is a good bet.

  19. #319

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    NIN are in Europe during OSL

  20. #320
    Member hurtnandez89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    And Green Day is already playing Berkeley in April. I wouldnt think they would do 2 bay area shows in 4 months.

  21. #321

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    ^ I could very well see them doing 2 bay area shows simply because it is their home town. OSL is going to be more heavily promoted throughout the area. I remember driving into SF last year and seeing the GIANT FUCKING BILLBOARD! You could not possibly ignore that. Considering that they would probably be at the ending leg of their tour, it makes sense that they would close out in their home town.

    The other thing too, I have a feeling (and hoping) that the XX will make an appearance as their current tour dates skip the bay area. Looks like they hit Bazerkly though. But I would be distraught if they ended up going against a headliner I'd want to see the full set of. But if they went up against Greenday, the choice would be freaking easy.

  22. #322
    Member nick5745's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Greenday are not fucking playing OSL

  23. #323
    Member xxxxxxxxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by nick5745 View Post
    Greenday are not fucking playing OSL
    Do you have a source you're not telling us about? You don't know shit, settle down.

  24. #324
    Coachella Junkie stinkbutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,646

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Sladokusac View Post
    NIN are in Europe during OSL
    More likely Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

  25. #325
    Member nick5745's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
    Do you have a source you're not telling us about? You don't know shit, settle down.
    1. I have a source
    2. It doesn't take a source to have common sense

  26. #326

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    The non-Macca Coachella days in 2009 were over 60,000 looking at the billboard boxscore. The Friday did not feel noticably more crowded than the other days. That figure is also way higher than what I heard.
    Yes, it actually felt a lot more crowded on Friday.

  27. #327
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Sunday felt less crowded. Friday and Saturday were about even.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  28. #328
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,938

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
    Do you have a source you're not telling us about? You don't know shit, settle down.
    So the show in April means nothing to you?

  29. #329
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,157

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Billboard boxcsore for Coachella 2009 was 153,000 over the 3 days. Even if "only" 65,000 were there on Friday for McCartney the other days would have in the 35-50,000 range.

  30. #330

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Daft Punk a possibility? Another Planet just tweeted this.

    http://twitter.com/#!/apeconcerts/st...19989082624000

Similar Threads

  1. Outside Lands DJ Mix
    By indecipherable in forum Other Music Festivals...
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 11:07 PM
  2. Outside Lands in SF
    By TheMadeleine in forum Other Music Festivals...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
  3. SF Outside Lands
    By SecretNuT in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 09:55 AM
  4. Outside Lands DVD...
    By i_like_cake530 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
  5. Outside Lands Festival!!!!
    By Failed State in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 05:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •