Page 106 of 108 FirstFirst ... 101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

When I was there with a bunch of friends last year, we found that flags were working really well, but we didn't have anythign like that. So, my cheap friend took her garbage bag, tied it to the top of a stick and stuck it into a table we were close to. The best flag ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Mr Chairman, please let the record show that I object to the word 'totem' being used in this manner. A stuffed animal at the end of a long pole may be a useful location device, but it is not venerated or revered symbol. Also, a group of people hanging out together at a festival is not a clan, tribe, or family -- it's just a group of friends.

Thank you, Mr Chairman.

Man vs. Festival featuring Bear Mack.

Bryan's dad found me during Neil Young last year and said, hey, have you seen Bryan, and then I pointed him in the general direction of where I had last seen him.

-- though I heard through the grapevine that he never actually located his son, couldn't enjoy the set properly, and has horrific flashbacks of the incident to this very day.

12/16: A Winged Victory for the Sullen @ The Independent
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar
    12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

I love that he recognized you enough to ask where I was. He actually didn't find us, but from our discussions we were only about 15-20 feet apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

As far as I know, they're not allowed to open up the festival anymore (they cannot remove trees). It's also a challenge to secure the perimeter. Not sure what they could do to combat the crowdedness. Decrease capacity a bit? Have more staff working the perimeter security? As much as I like the food options, I think having the vendors run the length of the "main stage" area, as well as the picnic tables across the back, takes up too much room and causes too much traffic congestion. Would rather they get rid of all the random vendors in the back of that field and move to a more centralized food court there. The beer vendors were the only ones by that stage that seemed very busy all day/night.

...but it's convenient having food all over the place if you're hungry!
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Has anyone mentioned how the sound cut out during Kaskade?
    I remember that happening, but it didn't take away from his set being amazing. It was a dream seeing him close out Outside Lands in GGP. All my friends were freaking out the whole time. I loved all his new material, can't wait for the new album.
    12/18 & 19- Dillon Francis, Fox Theater
    12/31- Chromeo, Fort Mason
    1/28- Knife Party, Mezzanine
    2/1- RL Grime, Catalyst
    2/7- London Grammar, Fox Theater
    2/13- Breakbot, Mezzanine
    2/14- Crush, Bill Graham
    3/20- OK GO, Catalyst
    4/16- Alt-J, Greek Theater
    3/25- Echosmith, Regency Ballroom
    5/19- U2, SAP Center
    5/20- Lana Del Ray, Shoreline
    8/17- Taylor Swift, Levi's Stadium
    9/16- Foo Fighters, Shoreline

I almost wished I was rolling for that set. Almost.

Lol. I did a bunch of molly and other stuff earlier in the day, so I wasn't rolling too much. You like his set?
    12/18 & 19- Dillon Francis, Fox Theater
    12/31- Chromeo, Fort Mason
    1/28- Knife Party, Mezzanine
    2/1- RL Grime, Catalyst
    2/7- London Grammar, Fox Theater
    2/13- Breakbot, Mezzanine
    2/14- Crush, Bill Graham
    3/20- OK GO, Catalyst
    4/16- Alt-J, Greek Theater
    3/25- Echosmith, Regency Ballroom
    5/19- U2, SAP Center
    5/20- Lana Del Ray, Shoreline
    8/17- Taylor Swift, Levi's Stadium
    9/16- Foo Fighters, Shoreline

I thought what works the best to find your group throughout the weekend was balloons. they hang high enough so they dont bug people, and theyre light.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I can't tell if increased music loudness would have any sort of tangible effect -- I mean, the volume these people use to converse with one another is already unnecessarily and excruciatingly excessive, I'd assume they'd just continue to yell in competition with the music.

Best moment though, was after I moved away/in front of that group and found refuge near an older couple, a new group of festivalers pushed in front of us, started yapping, and then one dude felt compelled to give the older husband a loud "High Five! YEAH MAN!!" prompting him to then ask his wife, "Why is he congratulating me for watching a band play?"
    Best Moment? Are you literally saying that the best moment of OSL 2013 was when an aloof old man couldn't understand why a young man would like to give him a high 5? Or are you just acting like a pretentious hag who somehow gets pleasure posting about how insufferable it is when people are having fun at a festival?

I get the point that people these days have lost some social grace, but for the love of christ cheer up and focus on the finer things. Even though the guy running around giving high 5s to people has no purpose in his actions, he's at least doing something spontaneous and fun. And to me thats what its all about. It makes me happy to see others happy. That's one of my favorite parts about being at a festival. I don't know you but I can implicitly say that your a very smart girl, but sometimes you just come off like such a bitch. I would expect you to be smart enough to realize this and change it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Not OSL, but I was at QOTSA on Saturday at the barricade. Looked back several times to take in the crowd and saw dozens of faces illuminated by the glow of cell phones. I took 3 pictures in quick succession the entire show, ignored around 5 texts from my wife, posted a pic on the walk back to the car. It is nice to just tune out for a couple hours once in awhile. The problem with the younger generation lies in the fact that they have never known a life without technology like cell phones, etc. What is so abhorrent to many of us is just the norm to them. I find it kind of sad that they always seem so concerned with showing off what they are doing, like life is a competition and if you aren't having fun you are losing. There is a great solace in being able to disconnect from the outside world, yet many will never find that out. Living in the moment now means every second must be documented.
    well fucking said

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Not OSL, but I was at QOTSA on Saturday at the barricade. Looked back several times to take in the crowd and saw dozens of faces illuminated by the glow of cell phones. I took 3 pictures in quick succession the entire show, ignored around 5 texts from my wife, posted a pic on the walk back to the car. It is nice to just tune out for a couple hours once in awhile. The problem with the younger generation lies in the fact that they have never known a life without technology like cell phones, etc. What is so abhorrent to many of us is just the norm to them. I find it kind of sad that they always seem so concerned with showing off what they are doing, like life is a competition and if you aren't having fun you are losing. There is a great solace in being able to disconnect from the outside world, yet many will never find that out. Living in the moment now means every second must be documented.
    pics or it didn't happen

Like a tree falling in the woods with no one around...

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    Best Moment? Are you literally saying that the best moment of OSL 2013 was when an aloof old man couldn't understand why a young man would like to give him a high 5? Or are you just acting like a pretentious hag who somehow gets pleasure posting about how insufferable it is when people are having fun at a festival?

I get the point that people these days have lost some social grace, but for the love of christ cheer up and focus on the finer things. Even though the guy running around giving high 5s to people has no purpose in his actions, he's at least doing something spontaneous and fun. And to me thats what its all about. It makes me happy to see others happy. That's one of my favorite parts about being at a festival. I don't know you but I can implicitly say that your a very smart girl, but sometimes you just come off like such a bitch. I would expect you to be smart enough to realize this and change it.

well fucking said
    Oh look, some dense dude espousing some more refreshing paternalism by telling me that I shouldn't be a bitch because I'm smart, because, why exactly? I didn't say best moment of the festival, this was a recount of a particularly aggravating crowd during Hall and Oates (are you just unable to read a series of posts on the matter and follow a conversation?), and the "best moment" refers to this old man NOT UNDERSTANDING WHY SOME STUPID AS FUCK KID FEELS THE NEED TO DISRUPT THE PERFORMANCE BY BEING A LOUD ASSHOLE YELLING AT HIM "WAY TO GO" AND GIVING HIM A HIGH FIVE. It speaks to the larger conversation a few of us were having about the lack of awareness people have at festivals these days, and how it's way more about just celebrating you know, just being there and partying rather than giving your neighbors any respect as they try to enjoy the actual show.
    Last edited by guedita; 08-20-2013 at 07:19 AM.

The kind of people whose favorite part of festivals are other obnoxious people cheering themselves and others for being at a festival in the middle of a set a large crowd of people are trying to see are fucking assholes. Asshole.

BUT SPONTANAITY!

The kind of people whose favorite part of festivals are other obnoxious people cheering themselves and others for being at a festival in the middle of a set a large crowd of people are trying to see are fucking assholes. Asshole.
    Can you say this all in one breath?

I mean, I've got no problem with the "spontaneous" people that run around festivals giving high-fives, like on parts of the ground not during sets -- but WhatLies' reading comprehension is so dismal that he seems unable to ascertain that the celebrator of existence in question was planted, within a large yappy group lacking self-awareness, up close to the stage during an actual performance. Not only did he and his posse push through to the front during the set, they were loud and annoying and this dude then felt compelled to move through a few of his pals to loudly congratulate an old dude, because surely in his vodka addled party brain, nothing could add to this gentelman's experience of seeing an act more than being forced to awkwardly pummel his hand against some sweaty bro and encouraged to utter "WOOOO."
    Last edited by guedita; 08-20-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Tom, you're a man over 40 that goes to festivals. Isn't it just so much better when you're watching a set and some shirtless dude gets in your face and yells about how awesome festivaling is and bestows congratulatory grunts upon you?

I live for that moment, Cara.

It's like a 8-year-old boy waking up Christmas morning and running around the house screaming IT'S CHRISTMAS IT'S CHRISTMAS and jumping on the dog and scaring the cat and then running smack dab into the Christmas tree, causing it to fall over and smash ornaments everywhere all over the hardwood floor. Meanwhile he's totally ignoring that Xbox 360 wrapped under the tree with his name on it.

edit: oh and then he steps on his sister's dollhouse and breaks it in half
    Last edited by TomAz; 08-20-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Me: wonder why this thread is still getting posts.......ooooooooo

Translation

Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post

well fucking said

Not during a set, man. What's wrong with you people? No one wants to see you during a set. Or ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

You guys sound like so much fun to spend time with.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Oh look, some dense dude espousing some more refreshing paternalism by telling me that I shouldn't be a bitch because I'm smart, because, why exactly? I didn't say best moment of the festival, this was a recount of a particularly aggravating crowd during Hall and Oates (are you just unable to read a series of posts on the matter and follow a conversation?), and the "best moment" refers to this old man NOT UNDERSTANDING WHY SOME STUPID AS FUCK KID FEELS THE NEED TO DISRUPT THE PERFORMANCE BY BEING A LOUD ASSHOLE YELLING AT HIM "WAY TO GO" AND GIVING HIM A HIGH FIVE. It speaks to the larger conversation a few of us were having about the lack of awareness people have at festivals these days, and how it's way more about just celebrating you know, just being there and partying rather than giving your neighbors any respect as they try to enjoy the actual show.
    I mean, I've got no problem with the "spontaneous" people that run around festivals giving high-fives, like on parts of the ground not during sets -- but WhatLies' reading comprehension is so dismal that he seems unable to ascertain that the celebrator of existence in question was planted, within a large yappy group lacking self-awareness, up close to the stage during an actual performance. Not only did he and his posse push through to the front during the set, they were loud and annoying and this dude then felt compelled to move through a few of his pals to loudly congratulate an old dude, because surely in his vodka addled party brain, nothing could add to this gentelman's experience of seeing an act more than being forced to awkwardly pummel his hand against some sweaty bro and encouraged to utter "WOOOO."
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Guedita, just re-read the context in which you posted, and I somewhat retract the vigilance through which I posted. I thought the Hall and Oates post was mutually exclusive from the high 5 post, for that I deserve some quips at my disposal. However, I will say that high 5's at a festival is by no means a festival fopa, as long as its neither excessive nor disruptive. Case and point: after the mosh pit at NIN, everyone showed appreciation for each other by handing out high 5's.

faux pas.

festival fopas sounds delicious

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    festival fopas sounds delicious
    you must like fat bitches