Page 105 of 108 FirstFirst ... 100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Also, the reason I hate that behavior is because then *I* end up talking (well, mumbling) half the show about how annoying everyone else is.

I have a couple more festivals coming up this summer/fall and after that, I may just be done with rock/indie oriented festivals altogether. At least at electronic music festivals, the talking is more limited since people are dancing so fast...

I took 3 shitty photos during NIN. Probably during "March of the Pigs," "Burn," and "Reptile" when I was peeing my pants. Everyone around me was actually really respectful during NIN -- "Something I can Never Have" and "Hurt" are really quiet songs, but no one was talking loudly or anything. They shrieked at times, but a little of that is ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I wish I'd stayed at NIN instead of moving to Phoenix. We were there for a bit, but I felt our group's vibe was looking for something a little more upbeat, so the decision was made...

Yes, but the advantage/reason for an excellent crowd during NIN has got to be that it's the last act of the day, so you're going to have very little groups of people pushing through and being obnoxious as they wait for whatever act they want to see.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Yea, that was the same group. The best is how they had this really inane, loudly shouted conversation with each other the *whole* set, and then at the end were like "Oh, we can check that off our life experience list - saw Hall & Oates live." Like, what??? You didn't see Hall & Oates. You talked the entire time, you assholes, and you were facing away from the stage pretty much the whole time.

D... it did seem like it was not as loud this year, but don't you think they would have just talked more loudly if the music had been louder? that's been my experience in SF shows anyway.
    Not sure how impressive of a checklist that is, but speaking to that point...I had pretty much the same thing said in front me...during The National among the things I overheard from the group of kids talking over them was "I love The National".

Guedita, fair point.

Yes, but the advantage/reason for an excellent crowd during NIN has got to be that it's the last act of the day, so you're going to have very little groups of people pushing through and being obnoxious as they wait for whatever act they want to see.
    And Phoenix took some of the would-be pushers away from the main stage.

NIN seemed like the only main stage headliner that had a sizeable Twin Peaks act to draw people away...moreso than Pretty Lights v. McCartney and Kaskade v. RHCP.

Yea, the crowd for NIN seemed fine to me, but I think that was in large part because it was a small crowd, likely mostly people who really wanted to be there.

To keep beating the dead horse... I don't think we're really intolerant or unreasonable people. I talk to my friends during shows. But it's a comment here and there, or a very brief conversation, that people more than a couple of feet from me can't hear. It's quite different when people are having an extended conversation during a set. I just don't understand when that became socially acceptable, especially of people who have pushed their way to the front of the crowd.

Whatever happened to just talking to your friends in between songs?
    I have never been to OSL but it sounds like the overall the crowd was much worse then Coachella? Or maybe I have just been lucky in generally avoiding terrible groups of people at Coachella

I haven't been to Coachella in the last 2 years, but I do think OSL is a LOT worse in terms of the talky-ness of the crowd. (There are crowd issues that Coachella has that OSL doesn't, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    Off-topic, but this commercial caught my attention this weekend. Notice how she spends more time snapping and editing her photo, posting it to Facebook (presumably), and then showing it off to her buddy standing right next to her AT THE FUCKING CONCERT, all the while the band is still playing away in the background... It's like Nokia is promoting this abhorrent behavior.
    There was a Lexus commercial a few months ago where group of well-moneyed 20-somethings hear about a secret show, get dressed up & pile into the Lexus to show, where they snap pics of themselves jumping around & talking with each other while the band played. Going to "the show" has now become conspicuously consumptive activity, wherein attendance is mandatory and thoughtful participation an afterthought.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I don't even have that much of an issue with people taking photos or using their phones during a show, but shouldn't that be a brief distraction? Take your photo or text your friend then put your phone away. I don't get the people who spend the entire show behind the screen of their phone.

People tease me about going to shows/festivals and coming home with not a single picture, but I can assure you I remember the festival far better that way than I would from photo documentation of the event.
    Have these people not heard of the internet where, you know, it's possible to find hundreds if not thousands of photos from events like this? Ask them if they see all those people in from of the barricade with giant cameras. Let them do all the damn work, their pictures are gonna turn out way better than any from the crowd via cell phone.

I don't think that's the point. People enjoy feeling like part of a creative process, no matter how shitty. (cue woodystock joke)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Not OSL, but I was at QOTSA on Saturday at the barricade. Looked back several times to take in the crowd and saw dozens of faces illuminated by the glow of cell phones. I took 3 pictures in quick succession the entire show, ignored around 5 texts from my wife, posted a pic on the walk back to the car. It is nice to just tune out for a couple hours once in awhile. The problem with the younger generation lies in the fact that they have never known a life without technology like cell phones, etc. What is so abhorrent to many of us is just the norm to them. I find it kind of sad that they always seem so concerned with showing off what they are doing, like life is a competition and if you aren't having fun you are losing. There is a great solace in being able to disconnect from the outside world, yet many will never find that out. Living in the moment now means every second must be documented.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 08-19-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    Springsteen seems like a good guess...but if he does come back through I'd hope he does his own show...his crowds are better than what you'll find at OSL.

Arcade Fire seems too soon to headlie again...but Mumford?

And instead of Pearl Jam...maybe Green Day...or maybe Soundgarden or Tool.

And just to throw out a name...Billy Joel.
    Yeah, Arcade Fire might be too soon, but they would have a new album out by then so at least it would be a different show. OSL doesn't like repeats though so you are probably right about that.

Hopefully no on Green Day, but Mumford is a possibility. Soundgarden is not big enough to headline OSL, IMO. They could fit in the Foo Fighters spot in the line-up.

Does Tool have anything new coming out? Or are they doing the same show they have had for the past bunch of years. They did headline Bonnaroo awhile back so I guess its possible.

Billy Joel is a reasonable idea. He was at Jazz Fest this year. Maybe Lionel Richie since he is headlining ACL this year, but I don't know if he is big enough either.

As far as the talkers situation, I didn't think it was nearly as bad this year, but I made more of an effort to get up closer to the stages so that the sound and views were better. This was a lot easier to do this year because I wasn't shlepping around with a group of 8 to 10 people. My friends call me the cruise director because I lead everyone through the day but that ish gets tiring and time consuming. I know I'm coming off like a dick, but honestly I had a much better viewing and listening situation running around with just my wife and not a huge group of people, that I might just try to ditch my friends at fests from here on out.

The only time I had a problem with the crowd was during the National's set and the brief time I was in the VIP area for Macca. Where last year the talkers were terrible for Jack White, Foo Fighters, Alabama Shakes, and Beck.

I'd love to see Billy Joel (or Neil Diamond)
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

How would you guys compare this crowd to Coachella's?
    I've been wanting to attend, but some of these stories are making me think twice.
    Not sure how impressive of a checklist that is, but speaking to that point...I had pretty much the same thing said in front me...during The National among the things I overheard from the group of kids talking over them was "I love The National".
    Ha, I had a similar experience with Radiohead at Coachella. People seemed to prefer talking about seeing Radiohead as opposed to, you know, watching Radiohead.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Am I the only one that thinks the whole festival feels congested? Has it always been like that, or has it gotten more crowded in recent years?

I think it's a shame that the bleachers along the side, behind the vendors at the mainstage don't get utilitzed. Is the Heineken Dome too loud from the outside to move it over by the comedy tent? I think the vendors should be moved to the back of the track where the lockers were, and the lockers should also go over by the comedy tent.

Also, was I the only one that saw the stickers for Arcade Fire's new album around the park? This is making me think they will be back next year.

No Beth and I saw those stickers. Beth has one.

Yeah I took one too.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier...st-4742280.php

"Sir Paul McCartney has tossed up the possibility of headlining one last concert at Candlestick Park - where the Beatles played their final gig for a paying crowd in 1966 - before the stadium's date with the wrecking ball."
    This would be so cool.

My mom actually had tickets to the Beatles last concert but my grandmother gave them away.

Understandably, she's still bitter about it.

Festival definitely was overcrowded. I overheard quite a few people talk about sneaking in this year. It sounded pretty easy. One in particular sounded like they made a lot of money.

My friend was able to sneak in for two days with a group of four or five people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    As far as the talkers situation, I didn't think it was nearly as bad this year, but I made more of an effort to get up closer to the stages so that the sound and views were better. This was a lot easier to do this year because I wasn't shlepping around with a group of 8 to 10 people.
    That's a really valid point, and I think one of the reasons my enjoyment of the music at this festival has decreased. Don't get me wrong, it's great to get a chance to hang out with friends (a lot of out-of-towners have come in for OSL the last two years), but trying to find a spot for a big group does make it tougher to avoid the talkers. When I'm by myself, I'll just keep moving if people around me are irritating. One of my main objections to going really close to the stage with a group of people is that if I have to leave for some reason, it's impossible for me to find people again. The woes of being short.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the whole festival feels congested? Has it always been like that, or has it gotten more crowded in recent years?
    No, it's always been congested. This year actually didn't bother me as much, but I think that's because I avoided some sets specifically because they would be too crowded, for example, staying the fuck away from Twin Peaks pretty much all weekend. The spaces they've opened up in the last few years with Choco Lands / Outside Lambs / etc seem to have helped somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by harryoliver View Post
    Also, was I the only one that saw the stickers for Arcade Fire's new album around the park? This is making me think they will be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    No Beth and I saw those stickers. Beth has one.
    they were passing them out at the north entrance on friday. a friend also picked up an Empire of the Sun wristband the same day somewhere around the merch area.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

That's a really valid point, and I think one of the reasons my enjoyment of the music at this festival has decreased. Don't get me wrong, it's great to get a chance to hang out with friends (a lot of out-of-towners have come in for OSL the last two years), but trying to find a spot for a big group does make it tougher to avoid the talkers. When I'm by myself, I'll just keep moving if people around me are irritating. One of my main objections to going really close to the stage with a group of people is that if I have to leave for some reason, it's impossible for me to find people again. The woes of being short.

No, it's always been congested. This year actually didn't bother me as much, but I think that's because I avoided some sets specifically because they would be too crowded, for example, staying the fuck away from Twin Peaks pretty much all weekend. The spaces they've opened up in the last few years with Choco Lands / Outside Lambs / etc seem to have helped somewhat.
    Yeah, this was the first year I didn't have any out of town guests which made it a lot easier to just meet up with some local friends every once in a while instead of trying to keep a whole crew together.

Also, as far as getting back to your spot in a crowd, its always best to turn around and get some sort of landmark on two sides so you can get a coordinate of where you are standing. This girl that we were hanging with during Macca's set, forgot to do that and it took her over 30 minutes to find her way back and she was pretty freaked out when she finally did get back.

Mr. Dylanja, As far as opening up the park for better flow, I don't really think you can do that since 50 weeks of the year the park is not used for music fest purposes. They have opened it some but I don't think they can open it up too much more without clearing out some trees.

landmark
    Or you could bring your own totem.

Why stop at an obnoxious "inside joke" totem? Why not a bedazzled bullhorn for everyone in your group with synchronized sirens so that you can find eachother?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I was seriously wishing someone in my group had a totem all weekend long. Bryce had a green hat, and I spotted that once during Grizzly Bear.