Page 104 of 108 FirstFirst ... 99100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

  1. #3091
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    It's not negativity for the sake of negativity, it's so fucking strange to me that people can't even comprehend the notion having a set of critical standards and expectations for art that they spend a fair amount of money on.
    Agree 100%. Also, this is the 2nd year in a row the Outside Lands thread post-fest has become about people attacking those who choose to criticize with suggestions like 'lower your expectations' and 'why be critical it's fun.'
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5-14 - Kvelertak @ St Vitus
    5-16 - Elbow & John Grant @ Webster Hall
    5-23 - Sheer Terror @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar

  2. #3092
    Member harryoliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Luis Obispo
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Sunnyvale sucks.

  3. #3093
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,052

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Nothing more exemplary to prove how fucking useless you are than stating a quite obvious fact as if it's relevant or insulting.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  4. #3094
    Member harryoliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Luis Obispo
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    It was a joke, but then again I am useless.

    Huzzah!

  5. #3095
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,689

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I hate having to explain jokes, but, obviously I'm aware of what you referring to, and my response was penned to comment upon the sort of dull-"positive for positivity's sake" position that has for no explicable reason been plaguing this board for a long time. Having to defend critical cynicism as a method to prompt reflection and discussion gets tiresome (people can judge for themselves whether or not it's as entertaining as reading a melange of posts akin to "gee golly I like this!" and other unproductive twitter-esque statements), and I'm well aware that the viewpoint that I sometimes represent (because in truth, most people overlook or deny any positive based comments I make) skews negative -- what's your point? I'm not going to be swayed into following the dictum of "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all," because fuck that paternalistic accept things for what they are and refuse to challenge the status quo kind of outlook.
    your posts containing criticisms of bands also have several insults towards other board members, and get fairly derogatory at times. yet you seem convinced that people's reactions to your posts (including my own) are because you are criticizing bands. as evidenced by this most recent defense of your band criticisms AFTER I pointed out that I think your criticisms are reasonable and not the point of the conversation.

    if you want to keep insulting people too that's your prerogative, just don't get so defensive when someone calls you a grouch.

  6. #3096

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    PJ Harvey didn't perform anywhere else in America besides Coachella in 2011.
    PJ Harvey did play at the Warfield in SF before Coachella in 2011. However I get your overall point. Its important to get good sets from the headliners because thats what helps justify the ticket price.

    Historically, the sound at OSL is not the best, ranging from the sound cutting out multiple times during Radiohead, completely cutting out during Bassnectar, to being not loud enough for the first Beck show or Alabama Shakes. However, I thought the sound was generally better this year than the previous years. At least Chic was plenty loud at Sutro. Willie could have been a little louder but I think that's partly due to him. The main stage sounded great for the sets I saw there. Twin peaks was slightly better than previous years.

    Derailing this conversation even further, I'm guessing Bruce, Arcade Fire, and Pearl Jam as 2014 headliners.

  7. #3097
    Coachella Junkie greghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    6,028

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    your posts containing criticisms of bands also have several insults towards other board members, and get fairly derogatory at times. yet you seem convinced that people's reactions to your posts (including my own) are because you are criticizing bands. as evidenced by this most recent defense of your band criticisms AFTER I pointed out that I think your criticisms are reasonable and not the point of the conversation.

    if you want to keep insulting people too that's your prerogative, just don't get so defensive when someone calls you a grouch.
    Come on, Ed, stop being so reasonable.

    Really though, man, I don't think she's overly grouchy nor do I believe she's getting "so" defensive. She makes a very valid point that some people around here infer her being critical as her being a cunt. Many super bitchy responses come in response to folks who comment about how awful she is because she isn't shitting emoticons & lols in every other post. She can make a blunt, succinct review of a performance or artist she didn't dig and people jump on her for being a negative bitch. If they can't critically discuss her contribution and instead focus on lobbing half-cocked patriarchal insults about sandy vaginas or being unfuckable or being "frigid" (holla, Betty Friedan!), then why should she feel even remotely compelled to interact with them on a serious level? If people can't actually engage in interesting discussions about music and are too stupid to realize she's trolling them, well, they deserve to be trolled.

    Think back to 07, 08, & 09. Cara's painted as some kind of ultra-bitch board villain, when back in those days her current demeanor would barely get her noticed. I fully support Cara's general condescension, both here and in person.
    Last edited by greghead; 08-19-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

  8. #3098
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,052

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    your posts containing criticisms of bands also have several insults towards other board members, and get fairly derogatory at times. yet you seem convinced that people's reactions to your posts (including my own) are because you are criticizing bands. as evidenced by this most recent defense of your band criticisms AFTER I pointed out that I think your criticisms are reasonable and not the point of the conversation.

    if you want to keep insulting people too that's your prerogative, just don't get so defensive when someone calls you a grouch.
    Derogatory throughout my history on the board, sure, but recently regarding music in general and in this thread, several insults? Nope. Someone was trying to argue that perhaps the reason that people weren't impressed with Youth Lagoon at OSL was because they don't listen to his lyrics. I countered with my personal dissatisfied experience of seeing twice having nothing to do with that and also mentioned that I found Foals to be flat and boring. So there's a band criticism, coupled with a statement that his, and others reviews lack any critical substance. It's a pretty big stretch to call that derogatory -- no insults are being slung with menace, it's merely an observation of the nature of other band/festival reviews that I've read in this thread.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  9. #3099
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,052

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    It's typically my interpretation that the people bent upon pointing out my grouchiness (not you, shaker) are doing so in a prescriptive way -- and for this feminazi, that shit don't fly.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  10. #3100
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,033

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Why don't you pull your pretty little head out of your vagina every once in a while and smile, girly?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  11. #3101
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,689

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Come on, Ed, stop being so reasonable.
    it wasn't my intention to judge Cara's tone, just to highlight it. again, how she presents herself is her prerogative. my only point is that fair criticism is much harder to swallow if delivered with insults. I'm not saying doing do that, just don't expect people to listen to you if you are also making them feel worthless.

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    It's a pretty big stretch to call that derogatory -- no insults are being slung with menace, it's merely an observation of the nature of other band/festival reviews that I've read in this thread.
    The following are the phrases that spurred me to speak. Sure, they are not bad in the context of board insults, and maybe weren't even intended to be insulting. To me they just sound a bit like coating your medicine with feces.

    "...the insanely low denominator of quality festival goers are these days."

    "People can't even comprehend the notion having a set of critical standards and expectations for art that they spend a fair amount of money on."

    I'm not saying go to the other extreme and candy coat things - your parody made it clear how worthless that can be.

    I'll quieten down now. I didn't meant to stir anything up, my intent was actually to aid the critical discussion, but if you still think my assessment was off then maybe it was.

  12. #3102
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    I enjoyed Youth Lagoon's set. The only issue I saw is that he chooses not to do the vocal f/x he uses on the albums live (understandable in my opinion) and so the vocals sound a bit different. Maybe I was pleasantly surprised since I was expecting a trainwreck.

  13. #3103
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,052

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Did somebody say

    BOSS TIME?

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  14. #3104

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Did somebody say

    BOSS TIME?
    Yep.

    Honestly, I don't know where you go after Macca. The Boss or the Stones would seem like a natural progression and would make me very happy. And then go a little cheaper on your other headliners like Arcade Fire or the Cure. Now I'm going to wait for Bumblebee to come in here and tell me how its financially unfeasible.

  15. #3105
    Member harryoliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Luis Obispo
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    That's a good point....where do you go from here.

    I think the Stones would excite me more than The Boss, but I doubt that would happen.

    Arcade Fire + Stones/Bruce would make me buy a ticket.

  16. #3106
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,853

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    I dreamt about that Hall & Oates set last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  17. #3107
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,715

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    "Yo bros, these people know they're at a festival, right? Let's just phone it in, it's not as if anyone here came out early to see our set and it's highly unlikely that we'll garner new fans by blowing them away. One, two three four!"
    Pretty much. I don't think bands intentionally do that, but it must be demotivating and disheartening to play in front of a crowd that is clearly just biding their time until another band's set and can't do so reasonably politely or quietly. Most of the day time sets I tried to see were plagued by people pushing forward closer to stage only to talk loudly with their friends through the entire set. There were some sets where the music was not at all as loud as the shouted conversations coming from every direction.

    I'm still taken back by the people near us for McCartney, who when (after at least 30 minutes of constant talking and carrying on) my friend asked if they could keep it down, responded along the lines of "it's a festival, we're allowed to talk." As if attending a festival means the social expectations of any other concert/event are waived. I think that's what we're responding to (it's what I'm responding to, at least). That this isn't an isolated occurrence at this festival and that people think this is expected behavior.

    I guess what I find most unpalatable about the crowd is the lack of self-awareness (not seeming to realize just how loud / obnoxious they are being, not realizing anyone else might be trying to, you know, watch the bands they paid to see) combined with the incredible sense of entitlement that they have paid for a ticket so should get to behave however they like at the event.

  18. #3108

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier...st-4742280.php

    "Sir Paul McCartney has tossed up the possibility of headlining one last concert at Candlestick Park - where the Beatles played their final gig for a paying crowd in 1966 - before the stadium's date with the wrecking ball."

  19. #3109
    Coachella Junkie Mr. Dylanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nix
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    If the sound was louder it would eliminate a lot of the incessant talking. I'm sure that there's some sound ordinance thing they have to abide by, but I really think that causes a lot of the issues. I also think the layout could be improved to open it up a bit.

    None of the sets I saw were all time favorites, but I had a ton of fun anyway, lol. Right guedita?

    Top 5 songs.

    1. Daytripper - Sir Paul (not played at Coachella, and one of my favs)
    2. Hall & Oates - I Can't Go for That (dat bassline)
    3. Let's Dance - Chic (their whole set was awesome, I honestly don't think I would've enjoyed D'Angelo as much)
    4. Date With the Night - YYY's (another fav, not played at Coach last year. Was happy to hear them close with it)
    5. J5- Freedom (love this track in the festival setting)

    Of course NIN's whole set was great, as was Metro Area's at the Mighty. Shame on all those who bailed.

  20. #3110
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,853

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    My companions and I had an impromptu "I Can't Go For That" reprise while waiting for a streetcar/train/bus/whatever the fuck that thing was.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  21. #3111

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Off-topic, but this commercial caught my attention this weekend. Notice how she spends more time snapping and editing her photo, posting it to Facebook (presumably), and then showing it off to her buddy standing right next to her AT THE FUCKING CONCERT, all the while the band is still playing away in the background... It's like Nokia is promoting this abhorrent behavior.

    On-topic, did anybody go to the Digital Detox area at OSL? While I like how they promote "unplugging and watching the show," it seemed ironic that the whole section was far removed from most of the festival. The posters tacked on the porta-potties with "Reason #x to put your phone away..." were a nice reminder, and I hope it got the message across (it seemed to, as I the crowd didn't appear to be a full sea of camera phone displays - rather, just a smattering here and there).

  22. #3112

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    PJ Harvey did play at the Warfield in SF before Coachella in 2011. However I get your overall point. Its important to get good sets from the headliners because thats what helps justify the ticket price.

    Historically, the sound at OSL is not the best, ranging from the sound cutting out multiple times during Radiohead, completely cutting out during Bassnectar, to being not loud enough for the first Beck show or Alabama Shakes. However, I thought the sound was generally better this year than the previous years. At least Chic was plenty loud at Sutro. Willie could have been a little louder but I think that's partly due to him. The main stage sounded great for the sets I saw there. Twin peaks was slightly better than previous years.

    Derailing this conversation even further, I'm guessing Bruce, Arcade Fire, and Pearl Jam as 2014 headliners.
    Springsteen seems like a good guess...but if he does come back through I'd hope he does his own show...his crowds are better than what you'll find at OSL.

    Arcade Fire seems too soon to headlie again...but Mumford?

    And instead of Pearl Jam...maybe Green Day...or maybe Soundgarden or Tool.

    And just to throw out a name...Billy Joel.
    Last edited by Listening; 08-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.

  23. #3113
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,853

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Has anyone mentioned how the sound cut out during Kaskade?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  24. #3114
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,715

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    I don't even have that much of an issue with people taking photos or using their phones during a show, but shouldn't that be a brief distraction? Take your photo or text your friend then put your phone away. I don't get the people who spend the entire show behind the screen of their phone.

    People tease me about going to shows/festivals and coming home with not a single picture, but I can assure you I remember the festival far better that way than I would from photo documentation of the event.

  25. #3115
    Coachella Junkie Mr. Dylanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nix
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Back in Phoenix at the airport there were several groups of festival goers waiting around the luggage carousel discussing the weekend. "Kaskade changed my life." was the quote that made me throw up in my mouth a little.

    How was it, zzizzy?

  26. #3116
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,052

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Festivalers in front of me during Hall & Oates were so enamored with themselves and with a pair of sunglasses that one of them had that they spent a good 10 minutes taking pictures of various people in the sunglasses, showing the photo to one another for pre-posting to FB approval, discussing how great/funny the photo was -- rinse, repeat.

    There was nothing discernibly interesting about these sunglasses at all -- but that's sort of what that commercial is getting at, the constant social mediazation of life events just because it's possible to do so with current technology.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  27. #3117
    Coachella Junkie Mr. Dylanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nix
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    That's the group where I asked Chia if she wanted to move, and she said, "It's San Francisco, it's like that everywhere."


    But don't you think if the music was louder they'd have more difficulty coversing with one another? I feel like there's a fine line between talking loudy and yelling that many people wouldn't cross so casually. At the very worst, they'd have to lean into the listener's ear which theoretically should annoy each of them much sooner than later.

  28. #3118

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    ^^ That's closer to my point. It's not that she's taking a photo, but rather that she spends the rest of the song with her nose in her phone's screen, fudging with the photo, posting it online, showing it off other people around her... all those things can be done between songs, or even better, after the show. The commercial is a prime example of how distracting those devices can be if you allow it.

    I'm "guilty" of taking photos at concerts, but I do my best to just snap a few during the first song, put it away, and enjoy the rest of the show. Typically there's no context with a photo anyway, so it really doesn't make a difference if I shoot the first song or last, or during the climax of a song, or just of some stage banter. Rarely does a photo fully express the excitement of the moment, so I've learned to just snag a few just to serve as a momento that I can look back on and remember the experience.

  29. #3119
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,715

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    That's the group where I asked Chia if she wanted to move, and she said, "It's San Francisco, it's like that everywhere."
    Yea, that was the same group. The best is how they had this really inane, loudly shouted conversation with each other the *whole* set, and then at the end were like "Oh, we can check that off our life experience list - saw Hall & Oates live." Like, what??? You didn't see Hall & Oates. You talked the entire time, you assholes, and you were facing away from the stage pretty much the whole time.

    D... it did seem like it was not as loud this year, but don't you think they would have just talked more loudly if the music had been louder? that's been my experience in SF shows anyway.

  30. #3120
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,052

    Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    That's the group where I asked Chia if she wanted to move, and she said, "It's San Francisco, it's like that everywhere."


    But don't you think if the music was louder they'd have more difficulty coversing with one another? I feel like there's a fine line between talking loudy and yelling that many people wouldn't cross so casually. At the very worst, they'd have to lean into the listener's ear which theoretically should annoy each of them much sooner than later.
    I can't tell if increased music loudness would have any sort of tangible effect -- I mean, the volume these people use to converse with one another is already unnecessarily and excruciatingly excessive, I'd assume they'd just continue to yell in competition with the music.

    Best moment though, was after I moved away/in front of that group and found refuge near an older couple, a new group of festivalers pushed in front of us, started yapping, and then one dude felt compelled to give the older husband a loud "High Five! YEAH MAN!!" prompting him to then ask his wife, "Why is he congratulating me for watching a band play?"

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Similar Threads

  1. Outside Lands DJ Mix
    By indecipherable in forum Other Music Festivals...
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 10:07 PM
  2. Outside Lands in SF
    By TheMadeleine in forum Other Music Festivals...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
  3. SF Outside Lands
    By SecretNuT in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM
  4. Outside Lands DVD...
    By i_like_cake530 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM
  5. Outside Lands Festival!!!!
    By Failed State in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •