Surfer Blood - The Independent 10/22
    Camper Van Beethoven - The Independent - 12/28
    Gary Clark Jr. - The Fox - 10/2
    Atlas Genius - The Fillmore - 11/7
    Little Green Cars - GAMH - 10/8

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Finally got access to the esurance memory bank

Great photos ameeps, I think we were near each other for a couple sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    Some post-OSL shows are popping up now:

The Easy Leaves - The Indpendent - 10/5
    Surfer Blood - The Independent 10/22
    Camper Van Beethoven - The Independent - 12/28
    Gary Clark Jr. - The Fox - 10/2
    Atlas Genius - The Fillmore - 11/7
    Little Green Cars - GAMH - 10/8
    awesomeee

I hate the people who take video during concert as much as the next guy, but this person in the front got some nice footage

Live And Let Die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LezwtqXtUOo

Helter Skelter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--i9i7xlw1Y

Excellent Outside Lands. This is my second and I think I enjoyed each year's thoroughly for their own merits. Last year, I was more amazed by the weather & locale than the music. This year, the music was brilliant as everyone has mentioned (and the locale stayed fabulous of course!)

Points/questions:

1) Any guesstimates on 2014 dates? August 8,9,10th? or could they move it to August 15,16th, 17th? Since inception in 2008, it has steadily been scheduled earlier. In 2010, it started on August 14th so I wonder about August 15th next year.

2) As some neighbors to GGP know, the OSL crew turned down the volume this year. Sucks for music lovers. Yes the sound does not match Coachella and this leads to more people yapping during the show. It's unfortunate, but a reality with this festival. As others mentioned, moving up in front of the soundbooth always helped with quality of view, sound, and crowd.

3) People have mentioned their favorites - here are some others I enjoyed that were not mentioned as much: Twentyone Pilots was awesome, Yeasayer did an admirable job in the face of Sir Paul directly opposite, Foals impressed me at how well they did on the Main Stage - it was actually better than the Coachella set. YYYs, Jurassic5, VW, RHCP made it a complete weekend. I wish I coulda seen MS MR, Trombone Shorty, and Bombino.

4) Favorite food: Malaysian Nachos with Chicken - wow! Grilled eggplant sandwich was a close 2nd.

5) Choosing public transport or Sidecar over the OSL Shuttle was a much better experience. Although the VIP bouncers wouldn't let me out of their exit around Spreckels to 36th & Fulton (as some suggested on this forum), it didn't make a difference - because this year the 5L bus loaded up at 30th & Fulton. All five of us got seats each time by waiting for the next bus. Best moment: Sunday night sing-a-long in the bus to "Hey Jude". Clearly, Paul's show had an impact!
    Go Green.
    Coachella '05-'13
    Outside Lands '12-'13

Did anyone see Youth Lagoons set? IT WAS MAGICAL, I've never been happier... Also I was in the very front for Phoenix and Thomas Mar's crotch was in my face and he held my hand for a pretty long time... my friend got dehydrated and had to get over the barrier and go to the medic during 1901 and she still said they were amazing. What a fantastic Outside Lands... can't wait for next year. Also, Foals kicked ass, although the people around me were so boring I've been wanting to see Foals for years and they were just standing so I did my best to amp them up with my jumping/dancing/singing... I think it worked

Favorite Sets:
    1. Grizzly Bear
    2. Yeasayer
    2. Youth Lagoon
    3. Phoenix
    4. Jessie Ware
    5. Daughter (I cried quite a bit during this set...)

Yeah, I did. I left after two songs. It was horrible.
    8/9-11 - Outside Lands 8/24 - Godflesh & Jucifer 9/3 - Loma Prieta 9/6 - Church of Ra 9/28 - Jesu & JK Flesh 10/11 - Carcass 10/27 - At the Gates

Quote Originally Posted by sunn-bro View Post
    Yeah, I did. I left after two songs. It was horrible.
    Guess it depends more on whether you're a fan of his music or not. Most people don't actually pay attention to his lyrics, but they're wonderful in my opinion.

Tool should headline saturday night 2014 thats all i know

Quote Originally Posted by sidsjiff View Post

1) Any guesstimates on 2014 dates? August 8,9,10th? or could they move it to August 15,16th, 17th? Since inception in 2008, it has steadily been scheduled earlier. In 2010, it started on August 14th so I wonder about August 15th next year.
    It'll probably be August 8-10, 2014. Lollapalooza has released their dates (Aug 1-3), and it's been the weekend after Lolla for the last four years or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by nickntto View Post
    Guess it depends more on whether you're a fan of his music or not. Most people don't actually pay attention to his lyrics, but they're wonderful in my opinion.
    God, No. His lyricism is fine, I am a fan of his work bit I have seen him twice and both times have been lackluster. Your review of this festival quite frankly comes across as someone who would be exuberantly satisfied with artists they like doing anything up on stage. Foals sounded flat and terrible, you guys. I swear OSL reviews in this thread are indicative of the insanely low denominator of expectations festival goers have these days.
    Last edited by guedita; 08-18-2013 at 08:35 AM.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

old school

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Foals sounded flat and terrible, you guys.
    Thats because they are genuinely flat & terrible.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Your review of this festival quite frankly Comes across as someone who would be exuberantly satisfied with artists they like doing anything. I swear OSL reviews in this thread are indicative
    of the insanely low denominator of quality festival goers are these days.
    You should change your location to Cloudyvale, Captain Negative.

Wife and I had a great time, if not a bit distracted leaving our little guy at home with the grandparents for the first time. Macca knocked it out of the park. Great headlining set and emotional. We watched a bit of Phoenix before feeling a bit overwhelmed by the crowd, so we split and it was a gret decision, because NIN was incredible. Had a good time and was surprised at how fresh J5 still sounded. Gary Clark Jr., Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk, and the Heavy we're all fun and new surprises for me. Unfortunately, we were too far back to enjoy the YYY 's and the sound was too muddy to get into it (our fault), shoulda just committed to Grizzly Bear and not have been roped in by a friend. I thought Kurt Vile was a bit of a let down, had wanted to see him for the past year and just couldn't get into it even though I had a great spot after camping out since Camper Van Beethoven. All in all a good festival, easy getting in, no Beer Lands tickets, and great food once again (really liked the Lamb Paella and the oysters). Best beer I tried was the Chocolat from Almanac, yum! Funny side note... I was shaking the grass of our blanket yesterday before putting it in the wash and there was weed all over it from having set it down where people must have been rolling one up. It was the good sticky kind too. Hahaha, love it!
    Last edited by tubescape; 08-18-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Thats because they are genuinely flat & terrible.
    I'm not a Foals fanatic, but I think they are a solid band and enjoy most of their catalog. Their set at Coachella 2011 was far more impressive than what they did at OSL, they sounded much tighter as a whole. I expect bands to get better live through the years, especially after having such a successful rise and multitude of shows -- not to go flat.

It's not negativity for the sake of negativity, it's so fucking strange to me that people can't even comprehend the notion having a set of critical standards and expectations for art that they spend a fair amount of money on.

Assuming some people are just happy to be at a show, away from the norm, that critiquing/looking for negatives is just not worth it or on their minds. I tend to view it like that often. My day to day reality is stressful as fuck, as long as it brings me a respite from that all is well, not gonna pick nits.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 08-18-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

There is a lot to be said about having standards and an honest evaluation of what something was rather than what you wanted it to be, but in all fairness you do sound like the grumpiest person on the board, guedita. Your criticism may be fair but your demeanor is foul.

old school

They're fine for what they do. They are in no ways as innovative and as brilliant sounding as people make them out to be. The lead singers rant about entitlement and how much more relevant they are as opposed. to their predecessor's was nothing shy of comical to me. When you emulate the style and riffs from the 90's era acts you claim are keeping you from headlining status you just become a disrespectful whinebaby bitch.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    There is a lot to be said about having standards and an honest evaluation of what something was rather than what you wanted it to be, but in all fairness you do sound like the grumpiest person on the board, guedita. Your criticism may be fair but your demeanor is foul.
    Oh well lol they weren't great but what are ya gonna do lol it was still fun!!!!

I've loved Foals every time I've seen them. Best show was inside in the dark (obviously), but I really enjoyed the OSL show on main stage. I thought the stage could have been louder, since I was upfront and the sound was still not 100%, but other than that I thought Foals played a tight, engaging set of old and new material, like always.

Who really goes to festivals and expect sound and sets to be 100% though? If you care that much, you see them when they're rolling through a club or more controlled setting.

I enjoyed them. I thought they sounded good. It was one of my favorites from Sunday.

I've never seen them before so I can't critique them based on past performances.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Oh well lol they weren't great but what are ya gonna do lol it was still fun!!!!
    your band criticisms are perfectly reasonable, and not what I was referring to.

I hate having to explain jokes, but, obviously I'm aware of what you referring to, and my response was penned to comment upon the sort of dull-"positive for positivity's sake" position that has for no explicable reason been plaguing this board for a long time. Having to defend critical cynicism as a method to prompt reflection and discussion gets tiresome (people can judge for themselves whether or not it's as entertaining as reading a melange of posts akin to "gee golly I like this!" and other unproductive twitter-esque statements), and I'm well aware that the viewpoint that I sometimes represent (because in truth, most people overlook or deny any positive based comments I make) skews negative -- what's your point? I'm not going to be swayed into following the dictum of "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all," because fuck that paternalistic accept things for what they are and refuse to challenge the status quo kind of outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Assuming some people are just happy to be at a show, away from the norm, that critiquing/looking for negatives is just not worth it or on their minds.
    I agree 100% with this -- my qualm is not that that attitude is prominent, but that people of this mindset are now part and parcel of this board. Which is fine -- I roll my eyes at them in person, and I'll roll them here, too.

I'm not a Foals fanatic, but I think they are a solid band and enjoy most of their catalog. Their set at Coachella 2011 was far more impressive than what they did at OSL, they sounded much tighter as a whole. I expect bands to get better live through the years, especially after having such a successful rise and multitude of shows -- not to go flat.
    Could've just been an off night rather than an indication that they've regressed over the years. Saw them in Phoenix a week after Coachella and felt their performance was better than at Coachella '11 (even if it wasn't as memorable because the crowd wasn't as big or in anywhere near as much of a frenzy as that Mojave crowd was).

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    They're fine for what they do. They are in no ways as innovative and as brilliant sounding as people make them out to be. The lead singers rant about entitlement and how much more relevant they are as opposed. to their predecessor's was nothing shy of comical to me. When you emulate the style and riffs from the 90's era acts you claim are keeping you from headlining status you just become a disrespectful whinebaby bitch.
    Did he do this at OSL? I remember there being a hullabaloo when they were being booked for European festivals last year and he said something along the same lines of all the headlining spots being monopolized by geezers, so just want clarification on whether that's what you're referring to or something more recent.

Quote Originally Posted by kfordham View Post
    Who really goes to festivals and expect sound and sets to be 100% though? If you care that much, you see them when they're rolling through a club or more controlled setting.
    Uhm, a LOT of people expect sounds and sets to be 100%. You're paying quite a bit of money to enjoy live music at a festival, the least you can expect is for the sound and performance quality to be high. Sometimes performers don't make it to a club near where you live, and it's not even about living in a small town -- PJ Harvey didn't perform anywhere else in America besides Coachella in 2011. Or sometimes it's cost-prohibitive to see an artist at their own gig -- spending $100 to see NIN on their own may not be in your budget, but spending another $200 to see them and Paul McCartney and whoever else you're interested in at OSL makes the festival a worthwhile expense. And that's not even getting into the responsibility of the artists to perform to a reasonable standard. Aside from expecting to hear more than 45-60 minutes' worth of material at a club show, the passion or precision with which they play shouldn't be contingent on whether you're seeing them in a "more controlled setting" than a festival. If they're not giving it their best at a festival because of expectations like yours, then they're not worth seeing at their own headlining show.
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

"Yo bros, these people know they're at a festival, right? Let's just phone it in, it's not as if anyone here came out early to see our set and it's highly unlikely that we'll garner new fans by blowing them away. One, two three four!"

I hate having to explain jokes, but, obviously I'm aware of what you referring to, and my response was penned to comment upon the sort of dull-"positive for positivity's sake" position that has for no explicable reason been plaguing this board for a long time. Having to defend critical cynicism as a method to prompt reflection and discussion gets tiresome (people can judge for themselves whether or not it's as entertaining as reading a melange of posts akin to "gee golly I like this!" and other unproductive twitter-esque statements), and I'm well aware that the viewpoint that I sometimes represent (because in truth, most people overlook or deny any positive based comments I make) skews negative -- what's your point? I'm not going to be swayed into following the dictum of "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all," because fuck that paternalistic accept things for what they are and refuse to challenge the status quo kind of outlook.
    Well said.

Personally, I very rarely get to go to shows. It's a big deal if I do and I generally go in with the attitude that I'm going to have a great time because I'm just fucking happy to see live music. It helps that I don't waste money on shitty bands, but still. The band has to be pretty terrible or annoying (remember "the Fussies," Cara?) for me go away with a very negative critique. That said, yes, the board demographic has gotten ... terrible. *Moment of silence for those no longer posting with us.*
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

More like SMUGGYVALE.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk