Page 76 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,280 of 3225

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    The Kronos Quartet are playing with The National! Even more excited for their set now. Going to be wonderful.
    Holy shit. I need to research The National now.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I waffled and didn't get one. I didn't feel like I needed one last year. I just wore my jacket all day anyway.
    Glad to hear that since I wasn't able to get one.

You definitely don't need a locker. I haven't used one the past three years that I went.

However, I'm happy that I have one this year just to be able to store my jacket during the day and whatever merch I buy (specifically posters) and not have this huge backpack on my back. I feel liberated just thinking about the locker.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Holy shit. I needed to research The National 6 years ago.
    fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The Kronos Quartet are playing with The National! Even more excited for their set now. Going to be wonderful.
    Holy shit, awesome.

I was bummed to wake up and see all the large lockers were already gone, so I jumped on the medium ones and grabbed two of them. Lockers were a huge plus last year.

anyone with the password to puchase night show tix?

hellman

Well Yeasayer and Zedd went fast...

Yup. I wasn't going to attend either, but I checked about 10 minutes after the onsale and they were gone.

Superjam's where it's at.

Search for tix won't work for Tallest Man or for Smith Westerns.
    8/9-11 - Outside Lands 8/24 - Godflesh & Jucifer 9/3 - Loma Prieta 9/6 - Church of Ra 9/28 - Jesu & JK Flesh 10/11 - Carcass 10/27 - At the Gates

Despite being a long time SF/Bay Area resident, this is the first time OSL does not conflict with my family reunion...when does the schedule come out?

Also, the 10:00pm start times for night shows are odd to me, going to Yeasayer Saturday night and figure that they won't be on earlier than 11:00 if they have an opening band, so I can probably just walk...but still, seems rough.

Where did you hear this?!? I just got way more excited for Outside Lands!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofRonnieJamesDio View Post
    Where did you hear this?!? I just got way more excited for Outside Lands!
    Announced on twitter: https://twitter.com/The_National/sta...76606775578624

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Despite being a long time SF/Bay Area resident, this is the first time OSL does not conflict with my family reunion...when does the schedule come out?

Also, the 10:00pm start times for night shows are odd to me, going to Yeasayer Saturday night and figure that they won't be on earlier than 11:00 if they have an opening band, so I can probably just walk...but still, seems rough.
    That's going to be a brutal walk after an already long day. You can jump on the Muni and that will get you over to Divis and just walk up from there. Or bus it from the northside of the park. I wouldn't think Yeasayer would come on until 11:30 or later.

I'm expecting the schedule to be posted on Tuesday based on previous years.

I walked to the Indy from GGP a few years ago - it was really far for sure...

Could you enlighten me as to who The Kronos Quartet are? Are they just gonna be adding more instruments to the stage?

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    That's going to be a brutal walk after an already long day. You can jump on the Muni and that will get you over to Divis and just walk up from there. Or bus it from the northside of the park. I wouldn't think Yeasayer would come on until 11:30 or later.

I'm expecting the schedule to be posted on Tuesday based on previous years.
    Muni will just be such a shitshow though...might try walking halfway and then getting an Uber from there, where it's less congested.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Could you enlighten me as to who The Kronos Quartet are? Are they just gonna be adding more instruments to the stage?
    Yes, ultimately giving them an even bigger/fuller sound. It's going to be quite fantastic and orchestral

Anyone have any input on the Rickshaw Stop bar / venue? Prices, "safety" of neighborhood, fun...ness, etc.?

Just bought tickets for Smallpools and Savoir Adore for the Thursday before the festival. My favorite shows are always at smaller venues so I'm excited to try one out in SF. I just hope it's not awful.

Also, where would you guys say is the best place for some calamari and clam chowder? We like the chowder more creamy than watery...I've seen good things about a place called "Chowders" on the wharf. Also how about some restaurant recommendations in general. Some Chinatown places, Fishermans wharf places, etc.
    Last edited by Nealocus; 07-20-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

FYI, I booked a room at the Rodeway Inn Civic Center for 170 a night. Expensive for a 1 star hotel, but generally it was a pretty competitive rate given the area.

i got hooked up to stay at a place 5 mins away, so I have 2 shuttle passes for sale $30 each if interested...

5/03 Danny Brown at El Rey
    5/23-25 Sasquatch! at The Gorge
    6/14-15 Low End Theory Festival at Echoplex
    6/22 Talib Kweli at Echoplex
    7/11 J5 / Quannum Projects at Greek Theatre Berkely
    8/25 - Nine Inch Nails / Soundgarden / Death Grips at Hollywood Bowl

Does anybody have the after show password for trombone shorty? I accidentally put it in my trash folder and then it disappeared. Please help!! Many friends already have tickets don't wanna be "that guy" who misses out because of something stupid like this. Thanks!!
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nealocus View Post
    Anyone have any input on the Rickshaw Stop bar / venue? Prices, "safety" of neighborhood, fun...ness, etc.?
    good venue. small, allow ins-and-outs, perfectly safe neighborhood, reasonably priced drinks, usually a decent crowd. thursday nights is popscene, which is an 18 and over event, which does tend to attract a lot of 18-20 year olds. you'll notice the crowd is a little heavier on the younger demographic that night but it attracts a mix of older people too. I go to popscene occasionally as they get some solid acts and I always have a good time. if you are in town early enough you can get dinner or drinks in hayes valley, lots of good restaurants, a biergarten, and a couple of bars.

Quote Originally Posted by crombrenner View Post
    Does anybody have the after show password for trombone shorty? I accidentally put it in my trash folder and then it disappeared. Please help!! Many friends already have tickets don't wanna be "that guy" who misses out because of something stupid like this. Thanks!!
    got em!! Nevermind
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

I love Rickshaw Stop. Shaker forgot to mention the best part of all, which is that they have a skeeball machine upstairs.

BTW, for those of you asking about easy transportation from the airport to the festival, I found out Uber has flat rates from SFO to any San Francisco location. It's $50 for a UberX car (fits 3 passengers, not many bags), $65 for a town car (fits 4 passengers), and $85 for a SUV (6 passengers), and the tip is included. Depending on traffic and time of day, a taxi could be more than the UberX or town car rates. I'm definitely keeping that in mind for the future since a taxi from SFO to my place (just north of GG Park) is at least $60 not including tip.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I love Rickshaw Stop. Shaker forgot to mention the best part of all, which is that they have a skeeball machine upstairs.

BTW, for those of you asking about easy transportation from the airport to the festival, I found out Uber has flat rates from SFO to any San Francisco location. It's $50 for a UberX car (fits 3 passengers, not many bags), $65 for a town car (fits 4 passengers), and $85 for a SUV (6 passengers), and the tip is included. Depending on traffic and time of day, a taxi could be more than the UberX or town car rates. I'm definitely keeping that in mind for the future since a taxi from SFO to my place (just north of GG Park) is at least $60 not including tip.
    Word of warning--my first year at Outside Lands I failed to get an Uber at least 10 times over the course of the weekend. Not one success. Granted, Uber has more drivers now, but it could still be a challenge.

Also, Uber implements higher prices for high demand times like OSL (and hurricanes lol), and I'm not sure if these apply to flat rates.
    Last edited by ameeps; 07-21-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

the only ways to get out of there easily are to leave early and take public transport, bike to & from the festival, or wear comfortable shows & plan on a hike back home.

For non-locals, Lyft is a Uber style app that you can use which you are basically getting a regular joe driving you in their car at 70% of taxi prices and a lot cheaper than Uber. But will also be in high demand for the fest. It seems like they keep adding cars to their fleet so its another option.

However, the way I've been getting home the past couple of years from the fest is going north from the main stage around the west side of Spreckles Lake at 36th and Fulton. Buses line up right there and they are all generally completely empty. So many people get on the buses there that they usually don't even want your money because everyone is rushing to get on them (otherwise its a $2 fare). I have used that spot the last 5 times I've left OSL and it has worked like a charm. You are basically getting on the buses before the crowd and they literally have empty buses lined up there for the OSL crowd. If I hadn't moved, that is the way I would be using this year too.

fair point, that's a good trick. I did use that once at my very first concert in gg park many years ago. I don't recommend it if you have any concept of personal space.