Page 8 of 108 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside Lands 2013

Default Re: Outside Lands 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    They're called Arcade Fire, the Black Keys, Muse, Gorillaz, Phoenix (remains to be seen I suppose), Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and within a few years acts like Frank Ocean, Grizzly Bear, etc. They're out there, they are draws, but we don't have the homogenized culture of decades past where people unanimously agree on what is good. The fact that a band like Arcade Fire can headline a festival is more impressive than someone like Paul McCartney in my eyes.
    I think the Arcade Fire exmaple kinds goes against the "don't have the homogenized culture" though, I mean, look at what happened with them after they won Album of the Year.

I get what you're saying, but take Fun., for example, they were up on stage early on Sunday last year...and now they're up for all kinds of Grammy awards, including BNA (which also includes Alabama Shakes and The Lumineers, both of which drew huge crowds at GGP last year, albeit at two different festivals in OSL and HSB)...and headlining The Fox and The Greek.

Looks like Guns n' Roses are in play now. I bet they are going to be festival whores this year to cash in.

Also, to Tikiman, there are plenty of current bands that are capable of headlining festivals like Bmack suggested. And you can add more names to the list like Radiohead or Jack White. The beauty of OSL is that (at least last year), they had a great blend of older established acts and new bands. While Neil Young was playing you had Justice on the other stage, or Metallica v. Sigur Ros, Stevie v. Skrillex. I'm glad they get the big older names because if you were to see those bands on their own it would be a very pricey ticket that often discourages me from going. These big name acts often are playing San Jose or Oakland which is another pain. To have them in my backyard, essentially, is awesome.

While tastes are definitely less homogenized now, I still don't think there was quite the unanimity that's been romanticized about the past. And examples of supposed homogeniety today don't really hold in my opinion. Arcade Fire may have won Album of the Year, but Grammy voters don't determine public taste. Awards don't make you ubiquitous. Even after Adele's Grammy sweep last year, there are still plenty who don't like her (or haven't even heard of her, if we want to keep going). It's easy to lose sight of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

ADELE confirmed!!! (sorry i just had to)

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    While tastes are definitely less homogenized now, I still don't think there was quite the unanimity that's been romanticized about the past. And examples of supposed homogeniety today don't really hold in my opinion. Arcade Fire may have won Album of the Year, but Grammy voters don't determine public taste. Awards don't make you ubiquitous. Even after Adele's Grammy sweep last year, there are still plenty who don't like her (or haven't even heard of her, if we want to keep going). It's easy to lose sight of this.
    Public opinion/taste is certainly affected by Grammy wins, nominations, and performances.

A Grammy performance is good for business

"Exposure on the Feb. 13 telecast, which pulled its biggest audience since 2001, was especially beneficial to performers, according to data released Wednesday by Nielsen SoundScan."

"The Cave, sung by Mumford, sold 120,000 copies, up 205% over the previous week, and jumped to No. 11 from No. 68 on the digital tracks chart. The British acoustic band's Sigh No More album sold 133,000 copies, up 169%."

"Overall album sales rose 12% over the previous week and 10% over the equivalent week in 2010. Tracks also saw dramatic gains."

"Arcade Fire's The Suburbs sold 41,000 copies, a 238% uptick, and Ready to Start, the band's victory-lap performance, sold 17,000, up 349%."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/...sts24_ST_N.htm
    Last edited by Listening; 02-08-2013 at 11:18 AM.

And we have a new Bumblebee amongst us.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.

August 1 - Echo and the Bunnymen - Orpheum
    August 4 - Arcade Fire - SB Bowl
    August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    And we have a new Bumblebee amongst us.
    I wouldn't go that far. At least he is posting some facts that are proving someone else wrong. Unlike bumblebee who is just posting things just for the sake of sounding smart of posting things.

Now that GnR are on the table, I can easily see them being the Saturday night headliner and this makes me not happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

wouldnt be excited about GnR at all! hopefully they would have a good EDM closer on twin peaks opposite of them

I wouldn't mind seeing GnR since I've never seen them and they do have some great songs. However, I fear it will be a complete train wreck and I would imagine them being at least 30 minutes late and Axl to be an extreme asshole.

But I would rather see GnR then Green Day. Now if they get Green Day and GnR that would be terrible and I fear would make the crowd fucking horrible.

I saw GnR at Bridge School, Saturday, and it was a disaster. He did mostly stick to the hits which was a plus. His voice sounded like crap. He actually attempted to to the snake at one point, though it didn't turn out as well now that he is probably north of 250. I heard Sunday was better.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing GnR since I've never seen them and they do have some great songs. However, I fear it will be a complete train wreck and I would imagine them being at least 30 minutes late and Axl to be an extreme asshole.

But I would rather see GnR then Green Day. Now if they get Green Day and GnR that would be terrible and I fear would make the crowd fucking horrible.
    I'm fine with GnR or Green Day on the main stage, as long as there's a quality alternative at Twin Peaks.

What about....don't curse me.....Drake. His new album should be out sometime later this year. I honestly see him as more of a possibility than Kanye mostly because of the price tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Am I the only one who thought Outside Lands was wayyy too crowded last year? Getting from any point A to point B, even using the shortcuts, was such a hassle and getting near the front of anything seemed impossible. 2011 was the perfect amount of people, then they added the 5-10 thousand tickets, now they're adding 10 thousand more?

Quote Originally Posted by fearthewig View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Outside Lands was wayyy too crowded last year? Getting from any point A to point B, even using the shortcuts, was such a hassle and getting near the front of anything seemed impossible. 2011 was the perfect amount of people, then they added the 5-10 thousand tickets, now they're adding 10 thousand more?
    It was, but I don't think it was as bad as 2010...when they reduced the days and the stages.

That was just back and forth traffic between Twin Peaks and Lands Ends.

Drake could be a Sub headliner at best or maybe twin peaks headliner.

Last year was easily the most packed day out of any OSL day i have been to (been every year besides year 1) adding 10,000 more people could be a huge nightmare unless they open up a new section of GG Park

Quote Originally Posted by hurtnandez89 View Post
    wouldnt be excited about GnR at all! hopefully they would have a good EDM closer on twin peaks opposite of them
    Massive Attack.... so dont worry, we'll all be fine.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    What about....don't curse me.....Drake. His new album should be out sometime later this year. I honestly see him as more of a possibility than Kanye mostly because of the price tag.
    I don't think price tag will be too important to them this year, the boost in attendance is gonna require huge names again, and possibly something similar to what happened with all the cheese at Coachella 2012. not to mention, SF has a huge hip-hop market and they don't even touch it, you get Kanye, Kendrick, Earl Sweatshirt, etc... and that expands the brand to a new base.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    I don't think price tag will be too important to them this year, the boost in attendance is gonna require huge names again, and possibly something similar to what happened with all the cheese at Coachella 2012. not to mention, SF has a huge hip-hop market and they don't even touch it, you get Kanye, Kendrick, Earl Sweatshirt, etc... and that expands the brand to a new base.
    I hope so.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

With Green Day opening the season at The Greek I think we can cross them off the list for OSL.

Quote Originally Posted by stochasticism View Post
    With Green Day opening the season at The Greek I think we can cross them off the list for OSL.
    Where'd you get that info?

Quote Originally Posted by Disposition View Post
    http://www.apeconcerts.com/venue_greekTheatre.cfm
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Disposition View Post
    just announced about an hour ago

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1C..._ANOTHERPLANET

Curse these fat fingers you guys beat me to it
    Last edited by hurtnandez89; 02-11-2013 at 10:06 AM.

You 3 are better than Google... Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170...s-itunes.jhtml

"The iTunes album chart was a virtual Grammys takeover, as Fun rocketed to #1 after not even showing up in the top 10 the week before. They were followed by the deluxe edition of Mumford's Babel (#10 last week), as well as the regular version at #3, pre-orders for Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience (due out March 19), The Lumineers' self-titled album (#4 last week), the Black Key's El Camino and Alabama Shakes' Boys & Girls at #8."
    Last edited by Listening; 02-11-2013 at 11:51 AM.

In the meantime... while we wait for Eager Beaver tickets to go on sale, let us reminisce on OL2012 with this cute video I made ok. Tell me if you were in the video or any of the crowds!

We came from Concord/East Bay area

Quote Originally Posted by nickntto View Post
    In the meantime... while we wait for Eager Beaver tickets to go on sale, let us reminisce on OL2012 with this cute video I made ok. Tell me if you were in the video or any of the crowds!

We came from Concord/East Bay area
    I was part of the Justice and Fun crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    What about McCartney? Isn't he heavily rumored for Bonnaroo?

You gotta figure with the extra 10,000 tickets per day they have to sell this year they need to keep it strong at the top to bring in the casual music fans.
    This is nothing more than a fwiw post.

I'm a regular over at Inforoo. Macca has been confirmed for Bonnaroo by several longtime and trusted posters, including one who's staked his entire reputation on this. That guy is a no nonsense dude when it comes to people throwing around claims of having sources when all they got is bullshit. He can't reveal his source but was talking about it for a month or two before any information was gained. He also detailed the source to a mod who confirmed it was legit. A couple days ago I saw another longtime member post this:

"Actually, the info I gave earlier has a source. Same person who told me Macca for Roo 6 weeks ago. Of course, things may have changed in 6 weeks, but there is a legit source. Macca to headline two SF fests. No others."

"And the Macca for Roo ended up with a second direct source, so it seems that it was legit info."

Just in case there's someone who doesn't know, the SF referred to is Superfly, not San Francisco.

I'm thinking they have more than hearsay but have nothing to base that off other than those posts. I don't know if they have a history of giving good info or not, just that they're a good poster.

Bonnaroo's lineup comes out the 19th. If Macca's at the top of that I'd say there's a really good chance he'll be the king of OSL this year. Y'all have a beautiful fest and I hope he makes it out. Cheers!
    I must have looked as if I were a diseased creature. Covered in cigarette cartons like bird shit, smeary colored face, drinking wine out of a pair of sweat pants. A dead baby hung off the side of my head -- crying to get high on smokes and glue.

http://gabfrab.com/

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

you know it's serious when someone's entire board reputation is at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    you know it's serious when someone's entire board reputation is at stake.
    The internet is serious business.

But I hope you're right Gabfrab.