Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Coachella Message Board's Top Albums of 2012

Default Re: The Coachella Message Board's Top Albums of 2012

#3 - 360 points

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Early prediction: what Titus Andronicus was at Coachella 2011 for a lot of people on this board, Japandroids will be for 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I still need to listen to this. That is a hell of a recommendation Mitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Tom, think the Replacements in terms of feel, not in terms of sound. Their music is really life-affirming. When I fantasize about the perfect rock 'n' roll show, I picture Titus Andronicus or Japandroids as the band playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Woohoo! So excited to give the new Japandroids a listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    how are japandroids not just a rock version of dashboard confessional? your melodrama isn't interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    It's whiny, but it's definitely catchy on repeat listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    oh, certainly. i couldn't help but want to bob my head and dance around... but it isn't particularly compelling beyond that. the lyrics made me throw up in my mouth a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I really like the new Japandroids record. It's so infectious. BUT...in general, I have a really hard time with overly earnest music. And Japandroids constantly tiptoe that line between stomachable and too much. It's why I can't handle Bright Eyes, Mumford and Sons, etc. (yes, I just put those two in the same sentence)...the music is so desperate for acceptance that it's nauseating. "Please, like our band! Listen to our music! This should be the soundtrack to your life!"

But most of the time, Japandroids manage to stay on the tolerable side of that line. And I enjoy both of their full-lengths very much. They were a bit annoying live the one time I saw them when they opened for The Walkmen a few years ago though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    What Jared said. Plus, ahen I saw them last summer, they bored the fuck out of me. Next.
    Japandroids would drive me nuts if they didn't rock so hard. They are on the "these guys totally fucking mean it" side of the divide for me, rather than the "stop fucking whining" side.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPistol View Post
    I think it's almost been a month since the Japandroids leak and I'm still not understanding the hype of this band or the new record on this thread. I've listened to all their records in the past and I have always thought they were overrated. Don't get me wrong it's bombastic fun and all and they are decent live but with all the chant along "whoooahh oooohhhs" and "yeaaahhs" it seems like something I would have liked more when I was 20. It reminds me of AFI back in my punk days of the late 90's playing with Rancid. I'm probably dating myself but I still like some uptempo rock n' roll indie bands. "The House That Heaven Built" is a jam and it's definitely a good record to go on a run to but it gets really repetitive overall. When it comes to noisy 2 piece bands I'll take the art rock of No Age over these guys any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I think you are listening to the album wrong. And Im not just saying that because I love the album, I am saying that because it sounds to me like you have missed what really makes it a great album. For me, one of the big parts is the sonic textures of the guitars on this record. The undertones are so subtle, yet so big at the same time. I think comparing them to Rancid and AFI isn't really fair in this regard, because this album isn't full of just power chords (not that there is anything inheirently wrong with that), instead it is full of lush layers of guitar, with the energy, vitality, and youthfullness of a punk band. Like I said before, if I could descrive the album in one word, it would be "anthemic." This album has the feeling of urgency of a great punk album and the bombast of a stadium rock band, but minus the stadium rock attitude. Just my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    agreed on the awesomeness of the new Japandroids. I feel like conquering the world n' shit after just listening to this, which is how a great rock album should make you feel.
    To me, the title Celebration Rock tells you everything you need to know about the album. The album is celebration of life, of death, of friends, of drinking, of good times, of bad times, of music, of rock, of punk. The band consists of two people, but the album sounds like 5 guys playing rock music made for stadiums. The guitars are beautifully layered and full of youthful energy. The music is dynamic, energetic and vital. Their voices are proud and triumphant. To me, these guys had a clear vision of what they wanted their album to sound like, and they went out and achieved that. Every single part of this album excites me to the core.
    I am really not sure any album will over take Celebration Rock as my album of the year. It just makes me feel too good when I listen to it.

I cannot wait to be drunk and singing along to all these songs live.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Japandroids' Celebration Rock makes me want to try and have make my own little bands with friends actually work and become something. Absolutely jubilant.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Celebration Rock makes me feel like listening to Celebration Rock again to see why it didn't have a similar effect on me that it did on the rest of you.
    Celebration Rock makes me want to go on a three day bender and never come back.
    I'd argue that part of the genius of the album is that it's not just about having fun, it's about having fun in spite of and in perfect awareness of the fact that everything about adulthood is fundamentally fucked up and/or not fun.
    Which is a fairly apt continuation of the thematic nature of their first album.
    Their songs crush me in really good ways.

People keep writing about how much better the lyrics are on the new record. Honestly, I thought the lyrics were great on the first album. Simple, yes. Repetitive, yes. But they were great at articulating very specific, intense feelings, and matching those feelings with musical moments that intensify them. "It's raining in Vancouver/But I don't give a fuck/Because I'm alone with you tonight" is beautiful in its simplicity. Anyone who has been in love can understand that.

That said, the lyrics are much better-composed on the new album.

"It's a lifeless life with no/fixed address to give/But you're not mine to die for anymore/So I must live"? Killer.

"What if I had all of the answers/and you had the body you wanted/would we love with a legendary fire?" Devastating.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Kind of embarrassed to admit that it took until now to really appreciate Japandroids Celebration Rock. 'Adrenaline Nightshift' to 'Continuous Thunder' is probably my favorite finish to an album this year.
    I can now officially state that the new Japandroids album fucking rocks. I can't wait to see "Adrenaline Nightshift" played live.
    I can't wait to see all of these songs played live. I can't believe they are playing such small venues on thier upcoming tour. I mean... I know they aren't a big band by any means, but this album seriously sounds like it could fill up a stadium. And the album is just sooooooo damn good, they really SHOULD be bigger. I am so excited they are ending their tour in Vancouver. The show is going to be one giant dancey, sweaty sing-a-long. Im proud of my hometown boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    The new Japandroids is pretty damn good, and will probably be even better when heard live, drunk, and "Whoa whoa whoa-ing" along with others at the top of my lungs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Okay, i've never listened to Japandroids before, but this album is indeed freaking great! i just burned a copy to bump fucking loud in my car in a minute!
    The Japandroids album is really, really awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

#2 - 380 points

Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE

It's pretty crazy to me that in a year with so many bands releasing highly anticipated follow-up albums, channel ORANGE may very well end up being the best of 2012 when all is said and done. There's just so much to absorb...I've listened to it several times, and with each listen a new song pops out and really floors me that I hadn't noticed as much before, the most recent being "Lost." That jam is so good.
    I wasn't really a big fan of Nostalgia/ULTRA but for whatever reason Channel Orange is really clicking for me. I agree that a lot of the interludes are a bit superfluous, but when this album hits it hits HARD. Standouts for me are "Sweet Life," "S.R.K.," "Lost," and the stretch of songs from "Bad Religion" to "Forrest Gump."
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Congrats to Frank, proud of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Damn, I have a lot of respect for Frank after reading that. Good for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    This album is amazing so far TYBG
    Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    kicks ass so far.
    So this is pretty spectacular. Wow.
    Fucking great. The lyrics are so personal too, it's no wonder he came out now. Almost had to.

Some seriously perfect songs here. This could end up aoty for me... I've played it about 4 times thru already.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Great album throughout. Early favorites are Pink Matter, Pilot Jones, and Pyramids.
    Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    God this album is marvelous. It's nice when someone truly talented does well. Anyone else hear the Nina Simone influence? I think he sounds remarkably like Nina at certain times; most especially on "Bad Religion".
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Yep, I listened to the Baroness and Frank Ocean albums last night as well and they became instant favorites, for very different reasons. I promise channel orange is way better than Nostalgia, Ultra.
    Frank Ocean's channel ORANGE is now one of my favorites this year. The instruments are very sensual and all the songs are super catchy. Its not like Nostalgia ULTRA where there were samples and homages to other music, I feel like it came from Ocean and it's definitely his thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    As much as this isn't news, and as much as I reject the repetitious amateurism of a lot of the lyrics, this god damn Frank Ocean album. The outro of Pilot Jones is just overwhelming.
    Fucking great. The lyrics are so personal too, it's no wonder he came out now. Almost had to.

Some seriously perfect songs here. This could end up aoty for me...

FROM THE TOP SONGS OF 2012 THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotoats View Post
    3. Pyramids-Frank Ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Frank Ocean - Bad Religion
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Frank Ocean - Bad Religion
    3. Frank Ocean - Pyramids
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    9. Frank Ocean – Pyramids
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Frank Ocean - Pilot Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyBath View Post
    Frank Ocean - Pyramids
    Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    2. Frank Ocean - Pyramids
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Frank Ocean - "Crack Rock"
    1. Frank Ocean - Pink Matter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray del Mundo View Post
    7. Frank Ocean - Lost (just a really good pop song)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwaslike View Post
    Pyramids - Frank Ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    1. Frank Ocean - Pyramids
    Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Frank Ocean - "Bad Religion”
    1. Frank Ocean - Bad Religion
    8. Frank Ocean - Pyramids
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiebrock View Post
    Frank Ocean - Pyramids

That album still makes me so happy it is ridiculous.

Edit: Re: Japandroids
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

#1 - 423 points

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    I'm really digging Lonerism, really solid from start to finish...I would say one of the top 10 releases for this year. I thought that their 2nd album would just be an extension of their first album but I feel like there has been some maturation and mastering of their sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    The new Tame Impala deserves all the praise it's been receiving.

EDIT* Might be my album of the year. Can't wait to hear it live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Agreed. I feel like they really came into their own with this record.
    So yeah, the new Tame Impala album is (unsurprisingly) really good.
    The new Tame Impala record is the best thing I've heard all year. These guys are dipping into some real magic.
    It still needs to sink in more for me, I've only given it 2 spins so far. At the moment I think it's great, but I don't think it's near as good as their debut. More of a consistent effort undoubtedly, but I think the first record has substantially better tunes overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    The new album is good. InnerSpeaker is better, but all in all it's a good listen. Would love to see them on the lineup again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    The intro to Elephant reminds me of a Black Keys song, eh, i still dig it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasyames View Post
    last night, i went into the fillmore with my face...

later last night, i left the fillmore with my face melted off.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if my face is severely melted off tonight then I may decide to go to the fonda show tomorrow too. we'll see. They were fab the last couple times i saw them.
    Can't knock anyone who's going to see Tame Impala live at this point. Great band that needs the following.
    Tame Impala were really awesome last night. They played like they are the biggest band in the universe, and they excelled at doing it. When they played Elephant, it went up three notches and the room exploded.
    Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    Tame Impala album fits nicely in the #2 slot this year for me behind Frankie O. Sooo good.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I feel like there are some really amazing songs on the new album as like Elephant, Feels Like We Only Going Backwards,Be Above It, Why Wont They Talk To Me? Besides those tracks I am not really into the rest of the album.I am going listen again and see if I chane my mind.
    It still needs to sink in more for me, I've only given it 2 spins so far. At the moment I think it's great, but I don't think it's near as good as their debut. More of a consistent effort undoubtedly, but I think the first record has substantially better tunes overall.
    I kind of felt the same way after the first few listens, but it really has grown on me with some continued exposure and a couple close listens with headphones. This one feels a bit more varied stylistically than the debut, and I also think it's sequenced really well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    surprised that I heard negative things about the new Tame Impala, I fucking love it
    Also, I can't wait to get a good copy of Tame Impala's. That shit is GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughSteez View Post
    Just came in to echo these sentiments. This may be Album of the Year for me, surprisingly.
    The more I listen to the new Tame Impala, Flying Lotus, and How to Dress Well, the higher and higher they climb my list. What a great year it's been
    Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    And yes, from what I have heard of the new Tame Impala it is excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyBath View Post
    I've been so hung up on the new Tame Impala it's a outta control.
    This album makes my heart soar.

Grimes, Japandroids, Frank Ocean, Grizzly Bear and Tame Impala will probably round out the top 5; not sure what order, though, but Frank will probably be #1.
    Thank fuck all Grimes wasn't in the overall top 25.

I thought that Tame Impala album was extremely boring. Still, this project was fun and if this list is any indication, then the boardies have excellent taste in music.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

What was everyone else's problem with Postales?
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

+1000 internet points to icedKeg for doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    What was everyone else's problem with Postales?
    My problem was that I didn't listen to it or even hear about it. Tell us more? Where did it all go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****