Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Coachella Message Board's Top Albums of 2012

Default Re: The Coachella Message Board's Top Albums of 2012

#18 - 124 points

Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    I can't wait to hear this new LP! #1 most anticipated release of 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    As anticipated, Getting There is my favorite on first listen. I'll digest more when I'm less jet lagged.
    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Digging it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Absolutely. lol @ anyone who overly praises it or overly trashes it after one or two listens. There's so much to absorb, FlyLo's work takes time. I don't think Cosmogramma really sunk in until close to 10 spins.
    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I love it. I hope that's not overly praising. Through one listen... so many moments of whoaaaa.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I find it very restrained and subdued in a positive way. The album title is very apt. I'm going to have to give it some more spins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Hmm, first time through and it sounds just like Cosmogramma, only rearranged. Some of the bass lines and drum patterns sound like they were lifted straight from the previous record. Don't get me wrong, I love Cosmogramma, I was just expecting the overall sound to be a little more varied and different rather than a continuation. I'm sure that's because of the leap between Los Angeles and Cosmogramma. "Phantasm" and "Sultan's Request" were my favorites.

Time to rinse and repeat.
    Yes. Agreed 100%. Cosmogramma was so very flashy in a lot of ways, it's nice to not get continually bowled over by unrelenting brilliance this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Really? Who doesn't love to get bowled over by unrelenting brilliance?

It does feel nuanced, which should increase the replay value.
    Second listen right now. This is brilliant. Loving it to bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    My biggest pet peeve with this album is the profound lack of a track I first heard on the 10 Years of FlyLo Podcast. He often throws the I Feel Like Dying vocals over half of it before mixing in that song completely. Goddamnit. Greg knows which track I mean.

But at least we finally got Sultan's Request.
    RIGHT!?!? That track is so hot. I was hoping that track would come out. It took nearly three years to get Sultan's Request, maybe it will show up on the next one?

EDIT: This album makes me want to huff nitrous. Lots of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    not digging it after 1.5 listens. it's thoroughly unremarkable thus far. sounds like somebody trying to sound like flying lotus at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by send me ctrpllrs View Post
    Yeah, I listened once last night, now I'm going back to waiting. Was impressed though. Sultan's Request is the early favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    Just like Cosmogramma, this needs to be enjoyed/listened to as an album, front to back. I really enjoy his effort to make a unified piece of work.
    To me, this sounds more like "Flying Lotus" than anything else he's ever done. A culmination/evolution of sorts. You have a heady blend of the post-Dilla influences from his early work, the ambient experiments from LA EP 3x3/Cosmo Alt Takes, and the masterful arrangements & textures of Cosmogramma. Sounds like Flying Lotus sounding like himself, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    I agree with you Greg.

After 3 listens I'm really digging this. Makes me wanna take sum drugzzz.
    Last edited by icedKeg; 01-11-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

WE HAVE A 3-WAY TIE FOR #15

#15 - 130 points

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I hope the album sounds more like "Sixteen Saltines" and less like "Love Interuption".
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    The new album is fucking brilliant. Get on that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dine with a cannibal View Post
    Just listened to the new album all the way through on the itunes stream... damn it is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    ...is Blunderbus not exactly "clicking" with anyone else? I like the album and enough and there are some great jams on there, but something about it isn't sticking with me. I feel like everyone else is loving the album, while I think it is just alright. Maybe my expectations were too high?
    It's just alright to me, too. But I'm not the biggest Jack White fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    I am a huge Jack White fan...maybe give the album a few more spins. I freaking love it. Best work of his since The Raconteurs "Consoler of the Lonely" which I also love. I also agree....if I could only hear one Jack White song this tour it would be "Ball and Biscuit"....really hope he busts that out at the Wiltern.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Very, very good album. Wasnt instant love for me, but its a grower and I become fonder of it with each listen. Love that he zigs when you expect a zag, lots of country and bluegrass which I love. The AmEx performance was awesome too. So excited to see him live.

Ive been BLASTING 16 Saltines like, a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    I love the way that he sings in an endless verse on "Missing Pieces". "Blunderbus" is gorgeous and I really love Love Interupted" because the music is very soft and uplifting but the lyrics are very dark and bluesy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    The new Jack White record is good. Not how I was expecting it to sound at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Jack White's album is solid front to back.
    Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Yeah, Jack White never ceases to amaze me. It seems like he tried a lot of new things and branched out all over his musical background with this record.
    Wow, very surprised how much the new Jack White album has bitten me. The middle of the album, especially. The interplay between the strings, pedal-steel and piano is the highlight for me. Jack, you have my attention.

#15 - 130 points

Purity Ring - Shrines

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon66 View Post
    Purity Ring - Shrines is really good
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Purity Ring's didn't do much for me. there are a few songs on there that I absolutely love, it just gets a little too repetitive and feels sort of directionless after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I've listened to it six or seven times. It's really good. I'm pretty surprised actually, I thought they'd do a few killer singles and then fall off. She has some creepy, haunting, yet oddly precious lyrics.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasyames View Post
    purity ring gets better and better to be honest. all the songs are nice little tracks that will be consistently sought after in my library.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    I got Purity Ring in the mail yesterday and it's really fucking great.

#15 - 130 points

METZ - METZ

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    They just destroyed my ears. You should let them destroy yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    this is a pleasant surprise. i fully enjoyed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    i saw them open for dfa last year. i thought they were great. nice to see they're getting more recognition now.
    I am going to let my METZ boner calm down a bit after this post, but jesus they were something last night. I don't know if anyone else here has seen them aside from Chris, but I found they actually sounded a bit different live than on album. Before I go any further, I will say the live show keeps the viciousness, the vitality, and the "in-your-face" attitude and aesthetic that the album has.

Overall, "intense" is the best way to describe their live performance. Their energy is through the roof and they are unrelenting with how powerful their riffs are. Everyone around me was floored by the performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Hey guys. Great news. This band is fucking incredible live. I wish I could describe to you how great this was. Fucking completely relentless...nothing contrived, no lapse in energy, nothing. It was exceptional from start to finish. What a wonderful show. Please see this band in concert.

Their show reminded me of what I love about rock 'n' roll, something that I've wanted Japandroids and Titus Andronicus to do live since I was aware they existed. So good. God damn.
    Fuck you, kid, and your skinny jeans, Metz killed it at the Echo tonight. They played for at max 35 minutes, and they didn't waste a second. I think they said things on stage, I think they played songs I know, but really it didn't matter because they were amped as shit and so was I. 3 songs in the crowd wasn't moving, so sushov and I decided that it was time for some dancing. We barreled into the audience and for the rest of the show it was a madhouse. Top 5 sets of the year for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Crazy show and the most amazing energy i've seen all year. I can't wait to see them again next time around. They are definitely going to get bigger.
    Their drummer KILLS.
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcandeathgrip View Post
    Cheers for recommending Metz , I am new to them and liking it a lot !
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    So this Metz album is something else. It's definitely been one of the most aesthetically jarring albums I've listened to all year in that I actually feel uncomfortable and out of place while I'm listening to it, and it's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that it's less than 30 minutes long.
    Metz's album is spectacular. That's a great description.
    Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I'm really really liking the Metz album, wish they were playing the Phoenix leg of that Titus Andronicus/Ceremony tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    This is not a lie, my god, I'm hooked.
    Last edited by icedKeg; 01-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.

I like the inclusion of quotes too. Good job man!

Also, I love what people here have to say about that METZ album haha. What a fucking beast of an album.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Goddamnit IcedKeg, you are doing this so fucking well. This needs to be preserved or posted somewhere else, as I feel like it's a great summation of some of these works. Y'all have made me want to listen to the Fly Lo album, where his set at Coachella made me disinterested.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

he did this with the quotes last too. It was awesome, as it remains now.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quotes are amazing! Love!

Thread of the year

The quotes are absolutely perfect for this countdown. Thank you so much for putting this together (and to those who provided their input).
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by sacleonard View Post
    The quotes are absolutely perfect for this countdown. Thank you so much for putting this together (and to those who provided their input).
    Hear Hear - looking forward to revisiting his thread when the line up drops
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

#14 - 137 points

The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

I wasn't a big fan upon first listen... now it's my favorite of his.

EDIT* "1904" sounds incredible live.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I just did something I haven't done in a long, long time (in fact, I can't even remember the last time): I listened to an album for the first time in physical form, rather than via a leak.

The album of choice was the new Tallest Man on Earth record; I searched for a leak but was finding it too time-consuming (e.g., longer than 10 minutes) to find a working link. I was going to buy it anyway, so I waited. Like people used to do. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised by how excited I was to listen. And it was strange consuming a record this way. I've been so dependent on leaks for so long that I hardly remember this feeling.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was this album is, unsurprisingly, totally gorgeous. I like the new textures and new instruments. There's No Leaving Now is less immediate than The Wild Hunt and Sometimes the Blues... but will be equally rewarding with time. I'm a big fan on first listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by knytt View Post
    I know it was discussed a bit when it leaked, but after one listen to The Tallest Man on Earth, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The lyrics are generally spot on and the instrumentation is interesting, but the energy just isn't there. I don't know why just yet, but it doesn't feel as direct and earnest as The Wild Hunt or Shallow Grave, even if it is as beautiful at times. I don't doubt I'll enjoy the album, but I feel like it's either going to take a lot longer to grip on to me, like the Wild Hunt did after one spin, or its just going to be a mid-level album for me and a relative disappointment.
    The new Tallest Man on Earth record got substantially better after the second listen. Definitely a grower.
    The new The Tallest Man on Earth is the most beautiful folk album I've heard this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I listened to the new album from The Tallest Man on Earth. That noise jumped up alongside Fiona Apple and Dirty Projectors. A mad year!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Give it time. I've been a huge fan of his since the first LP and I was also really disappointed by the new album. It took about 5 or 6 listens but I really grew to love it and consider it right up there with all of his other material now. Might even end up in my top 10 for the year.
    Yeah I really like the new tallest man after a couple spins. The songs have a different feel for sure, but I am excited to seem some tonight. It won't go over as one of my favorite albums like The Wild Hunt was.
    It is quite good. I put the album on the back burner though after learning I will be missing both of his AZ shows. Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Yeah, really blew my expectations away and they were already very high. Great lazy summertime record.
    He's kind of crazy.
    Last edited by icedKeg; 01-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Tied at #12...

#12 - 195 points

Swans - The Seer

Quote Originally Posted by jazzz View Post
    I can't get enough of "The Seer" you know the new Swans record!
    I listened to the first disc of it yesterday, and I can tell that this album is going to require a tremendous amount of time and attention to really absorb. But at the same time, I imagine one would be rewarded significantly for said time invested.
    Fucking hell the "new" SWANS is so fantastic. Not finished listening, but I'm floored. Captures the intensity of the show very well.
    My first time listening to the Seer I was driving through the Sierra Nevada on a treacherous road as the sun created a constant strobe effect flashing through tall pine trees. It was terrifying and exhilarating at once, and the perfect way to experience the album. I can't picture it as a "sit down and listen" album whatsoever. It screams for physical interaction with the music.
    Holy fuck, The Seer. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    I wanna see Swans live again so bad right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    oh, and I think The Seer is incredibly bloated and mediocre. i agree that it is the culmination of their aesthetic, but to be honest, the execution is a mess. i can see a really great album in there somewhere, but it just doesn't come together in its current state. i want to love it, but so far that hasn't been the case.
    I could understand the feeling that the Seer is bloated. Obviously I disagree that it's mediocre, but I think the bloat is part of what sold me on it. Plus, every experience I've had with that material has been incredibly intense in one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I've yet to make it all the way through The Seer. Not because of any lack of quality, far from it, it's just an overwhelming endeavor and I've yet to find the right opportunity to really digest the beast in full. Plus, I've already seen some of it live and the record will always be a pale shadow of that experience, no matter how good it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Yeah, it's a fucking journey. That title track is a beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekClapton View Post
    Advaitic Songs and The Seer both shot up to the "best shit I've heard in a while" category yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    The Seer is a fucking monster. Holy shit.

#12 - 195 points

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    This Killer Mike album is SO fucking good! One of the rawest rap albums to come out in a while

Dude sounds like a Cube/UGK hybrid
    The Killer Mike isn't exactly ground breaking, but definitely a perfect example of building on something great.
    I love the Killer Mike record as well. Just because something isn't innovative or groundbreaking doesn't mean it's not great.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdhow View Post
    Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music - perfect marriage of rap/production
    Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I wasn't familiar with Killer Mike until I heard a track on Sound Opinions Podcast and Jim Dero called it the best album in the first half of this year. I'm loving it. Then I discovered the show is tonight a mile from my place. Perfect timing. I'll be there!
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    In a year so far dominated by rap releases the Killer Mike release fucking crushes it. He's been promoting this as a classic in the vein of Fear of a Black Planet et al and he just might be right.
    Yes, i want to add to the praise and thank everyone who mentioned Killer Mike. This shit is awesome. It's making me feel significantly tougher while I eat lunch at my desk too.
    I feel like I'm emanating a searing aura of unfuckwithableness walking around SF streets with R.A.P. Music on.
    Yep. Mean mugging in my room right now.

I'm dropping off the grid before they pump the lead
    I leave you with four words: I'm glad Reagan dead

DAMN
    Right? That has pretty much been my reaction to that line both times. Currently on my 3rd listen of the album. So fucking good.
    If you enjoyed the El-P record I definitely recommend that you check out Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music. It's entirely produced by El-P and is, in my opinion, much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    There should be at least one Killer Mike track on all of these lists.
    I've been so indecisive about what my album of the year is, and I haven't even considered his, but now that I think about it, it really is the most solid release of the year.

#11 - 196 points

Liars - WIXIW

I should have been more specific. There are entire string sections on WIXIW. This is immaterial, I just wanted to bump a Liars specific thread because the new album is fine apple wine.
    It's a great sign that I put on Drum's Not dead and kind of just want to listen to WIXIW again. They've got something special on their hands here.
    The new album tears. Can't wait for the Fonda show, who's going?
    I'm excited to hear the new stuff live.
    Seems like they've got a lot of their more raaawwwwk type songs on this one too.
    Yeah, as someone who has never been much of a Liars fan, I was blown away by the album after a couple of listens to the NPR stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    To me, it sounds like they're going for a Merriweather-style crossover hit. There aren't a handful of potential singles on this one, but by Liars standards it's a giant leap towards accessibility. It also happens to be excellent, so I have no qualms about endorsing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    "Crossover hit"? "Accessibility"? Are we listening to the same album? I can understand the MPP comparison in terms of the album being predominately "electronic," but I doubt it will thrust Liars into the mainstream consciousness like MPP did - where is the "My Girls"-esque track which is going to bring all these people in?

I do, however, agree with you in saying that the album is fantastic - "Octagon" is going to be such a beast when performed live.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I admit it's a tenuous connection, and I didn't mean that it's going to vault them into a headlining show at the Bowl. I only meant it in the sense that they're making a concerted effort to exorcise all abrasiveness from their sound for the first time (Drum's Not Dead still has a capacity to repel that this one doesn't), and it wouldn't surprise me if the goal is to take a step forward commercially. But the Son of Amnesiac analogy is a much better representation of what this album's doing.
    Re: Liars, I could definitely see "No 1 Against the Rush" becoming a radio hit. However, it's also been ages since I listened to the radio other than in passing in other people's cars, so maybe I'm way off.
    If there's a real single in there it's His and Mine Sensations.
    Toward the end of my first listen now. It might be a leap toward accessibility, but it's definitely not very accessible, haha. What it is is fucking great though. I can't wait to listen to this through some good headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    "Brats" sounds like it's from the Party Monster soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    "Flood to Flood"-->"Who is the Hunter"-->"Brats"-->"Annual Moon Words" is actually too good.
    Whole album sounds like the interesting Radiohead that died in 2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    This new album rules. I'm glad Liars keep pushing envelopes with every album...
    I didn't catch any track names, but the whole Liars album is really quite something. So little aggression as compared to their previous work. I love the electronic sounds they create, and it's sequenced really well too. Definitely deserves lots of listens.
    Liars are a fantastic band... but holy hell this new album is quite something. I have listened to the thong about 3 or 4 times through now, and I think it may be Liars best album. I like all of their albums a fair bit, but every album of theirs has at least 1 or 2 songs I skip. Not this one though. Every song is solid and I find the album continuously gets better, song after song.
    new liars is the shit. after two listens, best album since drums not dead from where i'm sitting.

I wish i could be quoted for my hatred towards tallest man on earth.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Perfume Genius @ The Independent 10/21/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

#10 - 203 points

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
    good kid, m.a.a.d city, the best hip-hop album since the cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    This album is seriously ridiculous, one of the best rap albums in a long time... Basically it's The Wall of rap
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowScoop View Post
    It's nice to have another west coast rapper try to put us back on the map. I love the shoutouts he gives to older West Coast artists "Bump that new E-40 after school, Ya know Big Ballin With My Homies"
    I haven't been paying attention. Didn't expect a MC Eight cameo on 'm.A.A.d. city,' gyeah.
    Good Kid M.A.A.D. City is a hell of a debut. Kendrick is my new favorite rapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdhow View Post
    This album makes my Hip Hop Classics list, great from top to bottom
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Am I the only human alive who isn't shitting themselves over this record? I mean, it's a technically brilliant record, but there's nothing that makes me wanna put it on again after I listen to it. I give it a 3.5/5... *spoiler alert: opinions are opinions*
    I'm with you. I'd probably give it a 4/5 but it still probably won't crack my top 10-15 this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ApacheRunner View Post
    Kendrick Lamar is still so fresh to the game, this dude has two releases and everyone is calling him 2pac and the best thing out the west in over a decade....fuck that noise.

Kendrick Lamar is dope, but he hasn't really proven he can stick around just yet,
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVacant View Post
    How can you not love the album? The fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    ALL HAIL KING KENDRICK.
    I seriously don't even know what to say about Kendrick's album. I've listened to it so much in the last weekend... Tentatively, I gotta say this is the best hip hop of 2012 (a year with a crazy amount of great releases if you ask me). Every song is great... the story is enticing and ultimately endears me to the artist even more... I don't know. I love it. A+. I'm excited to listen to this album for years to come.
    Last edited by icedKeg; 01-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Ha. The people who commented on that album are very different from the commentators on pretty much every other album in this thread so far. Says something about the reach of Kendrick.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Well done, icedKeg. Well done.

#9 - 209 points

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

Quote Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
    YES. Best album of 2012 so far, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by darklands View Post
    cloud nothings' new album only has 8 songs? that is taking the piss a bit. i have not seen a bad review of it yet though apart from on here. even the NME have given it 8. may have to buy
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    I've tried to like the new Cloud Nothings album. Just can't do it. Something just isn't clicking for me.
    Yeah, I can't get into it either.
    I agree about Cloud Nothings: completely forgettable album.
    You might enjoy the Cloud Nothings album. Steve Albini produced it, got kind of a Jawbox feel to it.
    I was thinking this last night. Some of the stuff reminds me of Far. Really digging it.
    Hot damn this Cloud Nothings album is great! Thanks for the rec!
    my only complaint with the Cloud Nothings album is that it's not longer. But yeah, just got around to listening to this and it's so great
    Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post
    My only complaint is the chorus of "Fall In"
    BOOOOOOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post
    Haha sorry!! it's just a little too whiney for me. every other piece of the song is incredible.
    Listening to Cloud Nothings' Attack on Memory, liking it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffp1717 View Post
    I really enjoyed it too. "Wasted Days" is a monster. I wasn't too into their release from last year so this was definitely a pleasant surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    I really, really enjoy the Cloud Nothings album. It's perfectly suited to the style of music I like. Glad others are enjoying it too!
    Totally a great continuation of the best 90s/early 2000s emo stuff. Doesn't play up the lame aspects, just the really vicious tones, searching lyrics and great vocals.
    I'm liking the music, but I'm not sure how I feel about the vocals...
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Really? I think the vocals are pretty good, very unrefined in a good way. I'm not a fan of "pretty" voices for the most part though. I like my vocalists a little rough around the edges.

EDIT: and yes, I think it's very different from the last one, too.
    Yeah, the vocals are a huge part of the draw for me! The Far reference was spot on, and i also get a huge Lifetime vibe from this album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluntmaster3000 View Post
    Saw them tonight and it was great!! They jammed hard and basically just promoted the new album. Loud as fuck too!! B+
    Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Would approve.
    Last edited by icedKeg; 01-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.

#8 - 219 points

Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    The new Dirty P's song is fucking awesome.
    Hmm. I like the sound of the song, but fuck, man. Longstreth should know his limits. The parts where he really tries to hit the high notes are pretty bad sounding.
    I like it a lot. I'm anxious for the rest.
    I like the new song. I'm not sure how this amounts to a new direction, though? Seems like a natural extension of Bitte Orca to me, albeit a little more pop-y. It will be interesting to see how the entire album turns out.
    Between this and that first single, it seems this new album might be much less frenetic, and moodier as well. I loved their last album, but I also welcome the change. Good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Album is kind of meh for me... I liked 4-5 songs.

I wish he'd just make a whole album along the lines of Irresponsible Tune, it'd be a contemporary version of Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Everytime I try to put on the new Dirty Projectors I get like two minutes of it and get bored or annoyed. I really liked Bitte Orca but I don't even have the mildest desire to listen to this latey.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasyames View Post
    i'm twice through dirty projectors and digging it... that first track is awesome. i love when they jam like that, reminded me of 'cannibal resource' and 'useful chamber.'
    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    I think their new album is amazing.
    Dirty Projectors sounds amazing though. I really like it, we'll see how it holds up on multiple listens. The harmonies are gorgeous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    I've digested the Dirty Projectors enough by now and I'd say it's probably the best pop album of the year so far (as long as we don't consider the Julia Holter as a strictly pop album).
    Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I like this album more every time I listen to it.
    new Dirty Projectors is really great. I am getting into this album a lot easier then the other ones for some reason. "Dance For You" might be my new favorite song
    This new Dirty Projectors is in a close race with Fiona Apple for me. "Maybe That Was It" is so amazing.
    I'm really enjoying the new Dirty Projectors. Especially the track "Gun Has No Trigger." So good.
    And after one listen of the new Dirty Projectors, wow, already fighting for the top spot of 2012 (behind Fiona). The instrumentation and songwriting throughout the album is just beautiful. Even better than Bitte Orca imo
    Yeah, digging it as well. Really love "Impregnable Question"...such a nice love song.But, the dearth of female vocals/harmonies will prevent this one from topping Bitte Orca, I think. Not sure if Angel departed because she didn't like this direction, or if it was the other way around, but her absence is felt. Still, thank god for this album. 2012 has been a washout with all the 90's retread rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    I'm actually very happy about the lack of female vocals. I dislike Amber's voice so much, I've talked about it at length with boardies before. I do miss Angel though, if she was still in the band I'm sure I would have an issue as well.
    I can't tell honestly (especially with tracks like "The Socialites"). Then again, I think you're way more into Dirty Projectors than I am. Regardless, I gave Swing Lo Magellan another listen this morning and it really is beautiful.
    Dear Dave Longstreth,

I'm sorry that I ever doubted you.

Sincerely,

TallGuyCM
    New Dirty Projectors is AWE-some. Get on it everyone.

#7 - 223 points

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

Just finished it.

Ho.ly. Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketofpower View Post
    Priorities. Rearrange them. Quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    seeing them twice next week. can't wait to pick up the new album.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    On repeat at work all day
    Quote Originally Posted by loomer View Post
    Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by loomer View Post
    Great record. Mladic(Albanian) is one of the best things they've done.
    The two shorter "drone" pieces don't really grab me too much and seem to serve as a repreive from the two 20 minute songs. And boy is something needed after both of those to let your mind unwind a touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Really? I quite liked the drone tracks, especially the "Strung Like Lights...". It reminds me of an outtake from the There Will Be Blood score.
    The album is pretty good. Nothing on it blew me away though. I think the first ten minutes of the first track are uninteresting, though the remainder was enjoyable. Especially liked the drones. I'm sure this record wilk be a grower.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I got tired of being broke and listen to the new godspeed on spotify.If feel like it has a lot of instruments that haven't been any other godspeed albums.

#6 - 284 points

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Far as I'm concerned, it's already album of the year.
    I'm not going to say anything about the Fiona Apple album yet. I need to hear it one more time, but on first listen it seems like a fucking powerhouse. Can't wait to unpack it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i love this album as well. she's matured a lot since when the pawn. her softest voice is strong. she glides effortly through the notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I ran out of white dove feathers
    To soak up the hot piss that comes through your mouth
    Every time you address me
    Fiona is a straight up soul singer in my eyes and probably the best songwriter around right now. I think "Werewolf" is my favorite, with "Hot Knife" and "Every Single Night" right behind it. There aren't any bad songs on here.

Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    Just finished listening to/ripping the stream. I like it a lot. But mainly, I've been thinking that this album doesn't have the GRANDNESS of her other albums. It's so much more intimate. It sounds like you're in the room with her. The sound of this album pulls you right to where she is instead of transporting you to some other place.
    The same can be said about the lyrics. Everything seems pretty straight forward.
    I don't know that I've felt like I was as much in Fiona's workspace as I do with this one. But so far, I really like what I'm hearing.

I listened to it once and fell in love with it instantly, which is rare. I have pre-ordered the vinyl and hope to see her on this tour somewhere. I just haven't figured that part out yet.
    This album is such a pleasure to listen to. I love every quiver in her voice. Human is a great description and emotional in a way Janis Joplin was with hers.
    Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    My initial reservations on the new album aside, there are some absolutely gorgeous tracks on there. Loving the new video, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    I love it. I've been a big fan of Fiona since Tidal, and she definitely continues to grow with her material. She continues to speak her mind, even if it may be a bit coarse to some ears. I can only imagine her to keep on making amazing music throughout our life times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I've got to say that this feels surprisingly adventurous and unlike her previous work.
    You should listen to the new Fiona. It's fantastic.

Left Alone--a serious masterpiece for her particular niche.

Werewolf--wow does this shit ever remind me of a lot of the carnage I've left in my wake unintentionally with women. One of her best choruses ever:

Anything We Want--this whole song makes me think of being a teenager again when the cute shit you do trying to get laid is still sweet and optimistic and it's all nice memories of going pool hopping and shit like that. Just reposting the lyrics doesn't really do justice to how well they play out in her intonations through the course of the song:
    Good call on Valentine, I'd forgotten about it. So lovely. Possibly her best lyric work in a classical sense. Right up there with Etta, Billie, any black chick ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Yeah, I realize I need to give it at least a few more listens. Played it once yesterday and was actively annoyed with it. As someone who adores her first three albums, this reaction has to be a fluke.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    What's stupid is that it doesn't make any sense. "I want to kiss you but don't fucking touch me"? Who says that sort of thing? In what context?

Also why should I give a shit about some prima donna rock star complaining/confessing/bragging that she is 'out of reach'?

Also 'amorous' is just a clumsy word to use when talking about yourself. "I want to kiss you but don't touch me" would be a better lyric.

I know it's just one line but it's poorly crafted IMO.
    Who says that sort of thing? Emotionally damaged people, dipshit. And to dismiss her feelings because she's a "prima donna rock star" is such bullshit. Why don't we just write off every sentiment of loneliness that any famous artist has ever made on the same grounds? She can't be dysfunctional because she's a rock star?
    Seriously Tom, I expect better of you than that.
    Look at how upset you're getting!

It's a bad lyric. Even good songwriters get lazy sometimes. Sorry if that offends you.
    I love it so much. Her voice sound stronger than ever and the songs are complex and mysterious... I love the sparse percussion and piano melodies interracting with Fiona's voice...
    the vocals on Daredevil are fucking incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by lookalive24 View Post
    I really like this album. Love the percussive approach
    For real, the squeaks/pops/clatters make every song sound like it's on the brink of madness. Good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Originalbob View Post
    Fucking Fiona sings about my life--how is that possible? sigh
    God, when she smiles it just fucking kills me. The UFC rookie line I find particularly adorable in her delivery.

Now look what you've done. You bastards voted Grimes into the Top 5 in all likelihood.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Grimes, Japandroids, Frank Ocean, Grizzly Bear and Tame Impala will probably round out the top 5; not sure what order, though, but Frank will probably be #1.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Lol at me having negative comments about two albums that eventually did end up in my top 50

That'll teach you to write knee-jerk album reactions on the Internet, Paul.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Chromatics, er, maybe Beach House
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 01-11-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

#5 - 306 points

Beach House - Bloom

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPistol View Post
    Yeah, the new Beach House album is ridiculously good. I think Lazuli is my favorite track so far on Bloom.
    Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Oh, it's all perfectly lovely. It's just that - with the exception of a couple of tracks - it doesn't really have the pull of the last album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Totally agree that the middle of the new Beach House album is sort of "samey" and not too enthralling, but the first two and last two tracks really hit the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by myfirstcoachella View Post
    whilst maybe bloom doesnt progress in the way beach house have in the past its a really beautiful dreamscape of an album with 4 or 5 real standout tracks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    Now listening to Bloom for the first time and I already gravitate towards this album more than Teen Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    Bloom is the first Beach House album I listened to and I vastly prefer it to Teen Dream or their other material.
    After one listen, the new Beach House feels like a bit of a tease. It starts off incredibly strong with Myth and Wild, but then simmers down for most of the remainder of the album, only to finish fantastically well with On the Sea and Irene (the latter of which needs to close every show when they tour this time around, such a profound closing song). I wasn't a huge fan of theirs initially, but was really won over with Teen Dream, it was so full of songs I could really feel. I don't really feel much with this one, at least initially, aside from the beginning and ending tracks.
    Beach House has always released growers in my opinion. I haven't given the new one a spin yet, but I'm sure it'll be something I like way more the 10th time around than the first.
    Agreed. Teen Dream took a few spins for it to finally click for me. I liked the new album right off the bat (especially Myth), but I think I'll like it much more further down the road.
    the Beach House album is sunny and great.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'll be at the St. Louis date. Dream popping and locking
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    I saw them a few nights ago and they were excellent. The new songs sound great live.
    Finally listened to Beach House's Bloom in quiet with good headphones. Perhaps it was the setting I was in, but it seems a bit more summery and fluid than some of their earlier releases.
    Also, I know I've said it before, but I'd be very, very surprised if another album comes out this year that has as strong of a finish as the new Beach House album does with Irene. That song is so completely wonderful, it's like a microcosm of everything I love about the band boiled down into one song.

Surprised at the lack of love for the David Byrne/St. Vincent collab.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Ohh, I'm excited.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

#4 - 357 points

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Quote Originally Posted by RoughSteez View Post
    Well shit this is a good record. The Hunt is immediately a stand out for me.
    They wrote this more collaboratively than the last album, at least vocally. I'm a really big fan on first listen, but that was expected. They've taken another step forward, but not as drastic a change as between the last albums.
    After a few spins, I like it a lot overall. Some of these songs are among the band's best, except for two songs in particular that are some pretty serious head-scratchers. A Simple Answer sounds like the song from Peanuts a little, not sure what they were trying for with that one, and gun-shy sounds like Ed trying to do his version of the whole Ariel Pink/Destroyer easy listening sound and I'm not convinced it works that well. But then the album finishes amazingly strong with Half Gate and the incredible Sun in Your Eyes, and all is redeemed.
    Gun-Shy and A Simple Answer were the two surprise standouts for me actually. Funny how things go.
    I like the new Grizzly Bear but I end up getting sick of it in the second half. Maybe that will change. For now it's just ok to me even though there are some really great moments. (I've only listened a few times).
    As for Grizzly Bear, still too soon to tell, but Shields might end up at the top. I like Yellow House more than Veckatimest though.
    Damn, this record is good.
    Yeah. I am pretty sure this is my album of the year now.
    I think this will be good to hear first on record. You should enjoy it. Standout tracks for me are Speak the Rounds, Yet Again, gun-shy, and Half Grate.
    I've listened to it a couple times, and it's extremely fucking good, but hasn't clicked with me entirely yet. However, Half Gate-Sun in your Eyes is such a great pair of closing songs. I suspect this will really grow on me as a whole though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I've caught up on this album several times now, and this is right on. Those last two songs are just so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Upon the third listen this album is really starting to click into place for me. There are a couple meandery songs in the middle, but oh my God that riff in "Sleeping Ute!"
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Gret openers and closers on this album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    The new Grizzly Bear has legit "Who the fuck are Arcade Fire?"/"Who is Bonnie Bear?" potential written all over it.
    I've listened to it front to back near 10 times now, and although I still can't get into The Simple Answer or gun-shy, I've begun to appreciate them for what they are and just let it be. I understand those two songs are likely them trying to push their sound, and I can respect that even if the result is that they're more or less misfires. gun-shy is definitely this album's Cheerleader, what with the eery Chris Taylor vocals in the chorus and what not.

And aside from those two songs, this album is a near perfect cross section of the two albums that preceded it - combining elements of the spare, orchestral beauty of Yellow House with the explosive bombast of Veckatimest. I can't wait to hear it all live in a mere month!
    I really don't understand how you can dislike those two songs.
    I do like the ending to The Simple Answer a lot, that last minute and half or so is incredible. The rest of it sounds like the Peanuts song with the Gary Glitter/Black Keys drums. And like I mentioned before, the whole neo easy listening vibe of gun-shy doesn't sit with me well. I'm not the only one who feels this way, I've had conversations with a few others who agree on all counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughSteez View Post
    Gun-shy was awkward on first listen, but now it's a song I look forward to when it comes up. It's a momentary departure from what I would expect in terms of growth. I couldn't listen to an album with that direction, but one song is perfect. This album is definitely a feast.
    I was a never a big fan of Veckatimest but, wow, this album is amazing.
    Yeah, Gun-Shy has a weird vocal sound to me as well (and the music is also not working for me with that fluffy keys line). "Neo easy-listening" is not only apt, but rather funny too. And, thank Mohammed that they didn't make an entire album in that direction! Ha...you also nailed it on Simple Answer, Chris..."Peanuts song"....that's fucking rich. At least the vocals are a little more tolerable on this to make it more interesting live.

Having said that...I think this LP has also lept to my top spot. I need to revisit some of my earlier favorites to feel convinced of this, but it certainly is pulling me in hard. Speaking in Rounds is going to be so fucking great live!

This is what I picture when I hear it.

Overall though, I love the album to pieces.
    Man, there are really some strong tracks on Daniel Rossen's EP from earlier this year. If they had replaced A Simple Answer and Gun-Shy with Silent Song and Golden Mile, Shields would have been a nearly perfect album in my book.

Glad you guys are enjoying this! It took a good amount of a time but was fun for me too! Your comments all year are what makes it great.

And now on to the top 3...