Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 concerts of 2012

Default Top 10 concerts of 2012

I don't foresee going to any more shows this year, so I decided that it's time to start this thread. Here's my early list. Criteria: I list by set, not by whole concert (a pathetic or fantastic opener does not change the headliner, one festival set does not drive a whole festival). Don't feel obligated to follow the same rules.

10. James Blake - FYF Fest (9/1) - I highly enjoy James Blake's music and was excited to see him, but a festival seemed far from the most apt setting for his spare, sparse melodies. When he started, it was a bit quiet and tepid, but then something miraculous happened: the band in the tent next door started to play. It seemed as if Blake and cohorts took this as a challenge, and for the rest of their set they continually upped the intensity, the craftsmanship and the volume. They spanned electro, jazz, folk, rock and so many other genres while creating their own great sound. I eagerly await seeing them again.

9. Huun Huur Tu - Millpond Music Festival (9/22) - Huun Huur Tu are from Siberia. Millpond is a small festival in my hometown in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains, Bishop California. Their sound is completely foreign to pretty much everyone here, yet they write about living in harsh climates in very mountainous and rural areas. They are also an act that I've loved for years, as they take traditional Tuvan throat singing and inject a healthy dose of modern playing and composition. This performance nailed both, and was made so much more special due to the gorgeous and very fitting surroundings. Watching four men intone these truly bizarre yet moving vocal parts, knowing full well they had been sung in similar fashion for decades, while seeing the sun set behind 10,000+ foot snow-capped mountains was something I'll probably never forget.

8. The Lance Bangs Birthday Band - Cinefamily (9/7) - Some shows are great because of the rarity of the performance; some are great simply because a band nails it on all cylinders. Some, on the other hand, hit both pleasure points and more. This show was one of those. Bradford Cox from Deerhunter, Dean and Randy from No Age, and Mike Watt from The Minutemen joined together for a 30 minute set to celebrate the birthday of Lance Bangs, music video director and guy who worked on Jackass. They played four songs, and each destroyed me and brought me near to tears for different reasons. They did a killer Stooges cover. Even better was the cover of Cortez the Killer, with Bradford playing a guitar that would not stay in tune and the band going nuts around him. Best though were the two Minutemen songs. I tear up even now thinking that I got to see Watt play some of my all-time favorite music for one of the only times since D. Boon died. Tiny place, astounding set.

7. Elizabeth Cook - The Grand Ole Opry (7/28) - This woman is great. The Opry really only allows performers to do 2-3 songs in their limited time, and her and her band took full advantage. They did two songs. The first was an acapella gospel track that they turned into a haunting lament about the passage of time. The second was a spare country-by-the-way-of-the-Velvet-Underground track that had me completely floored and put my jaw on the ground. Country at its best at one of the US's most venerable institutions.

6. Mike Watt and the Missingmen - The Redwood Lounge (6/16) - I have seen Watt play in so many different iterations (see, e.g., number 8, supra) that I went to this set mostly to catch him playing something weird and fun. Instead, I was treated to a complete performance of his third opera, The Hyphenated Man, with his band the Missingmen. The "opera" is composed of 30 short tracks that all reference creatures from Hieronymus Bosch paintings. They were further inspired by Watt finally revisiting his old Minutemen work after decades of avoiding these songs for the pain they brought. What he dragged forth is a completely human and utterly real performance, full of humor, sadness, volume and spectacular playing. By the time I saw this set they had toured the opera once and were locked in; when I saw them later they seemed to be more weary of playing the same set, but here they were on pure fire. The closest I'll ever get to seeing my beloved Minutemen, and it felt like it was about as close as one would ever get.

5. Titus Andronicus - The El Rey (11/8) - As Andrew (bballarl) has stated to me before, both Japandroids and Titus Andronicus record music that should, live, make them the best bands in the world. I agreed with him that neither fully captured this potential on stage until this show, my fifth time seeing the band. They played long, they played hard, and, unlike the times prior, they were completely locked in and focused for the whole show. Somehow they were able to make a song like No Future Part 3: Escape from No Future sound even more epic and despairing live than on record. I can't help thinking that, a few years from now, I will look back and say that this was one of the top ten shows I've ever seen.

4. Atlas Sound - Eagle Rock Center for the Arts (2/24) - I've seen Bradford perform in various iterations over 20 times, so at this point he shouldn't be able to astound me as much as he still does. This set was the best Atlas Sound set I've ever witnessed. Fresh off Parallax, he performed the entire show solo. However, unlike previous solo Atlas Sound sets, which have either been ambient loop-based fares or acoustic shows, he decided to go all out. The set featured only a few tracks, but he built every song from the ground up, playing live drums to a sampler and then performing every instrument on his own. This was the later show, so he was pretty drunk and also completely in the zone. What followed was just great, and I hope he can do something this spectacular again.

3. Steve Reich/Bang on a Can All Stars - Walt Disney Concert Hall (1/17) - I could review the whole show, as it was a complete success. Watching Reich perform Clapping Music with a young contemporary was great, the Bang on a Can performance of Video Phase was among the most visually striking performances I've ever seen, and they did some great early violin stuff. None of that mattered in the end, though, because the band performed all of Music For 18 Musicians, Reich's masterpiece and one of the only classical pieces in recent memory that truly changed the way music can be perceived, in one of the most beautiful and sonorous venues in the world. Over the course of an hour, the marimbas and percussionists made this early piece of trance-inducing music breath, pulse and fill the room. I was spellbound for the whole thing and would gladly watch it again. Monumental

2. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Hollywood Bowl (10/17) - Classic rock live shows are always a risk: will the band be able to perform their great classics with a semblance of the force that they were initially known for? Thankfully, Neil and Crazy Horse could give less of a shit about this, and instead filled their first tour as a full group since 1996 with long new songs that are some of the best of their career. They were great and so much more shocking when I saw them at Outside Lands, but knowing the songs (and having heard Psychedelic Pill in its full) made this show even more impactful. I'm a huge fan, and they blew me away.

1. D'Angelo - The House of Blues (7/4) - There is only so much I can say about such a masterful, powerful and completely astounding set. D'Angelo's first full Stateside performance in nearly 12 years, I was about as full of anticipation as I've ever been for a concert. That he was able to come out with a crack band and completely destroy my expectations over the course of two hours was great. He played songs from both of his albums as well as a healthy dose of new material, and filled the gaps with generous amounts of great covers. He played guitar and piano, he sang like James Brown and Prince combined, and he generally proved that he's so much more talented than we could ever even hope to grasp. I CANNOT wait for James River. There was no highlight: it was all high.

Honorable Mentions: Joanna Newsom with Philip Glass and Tim Fite at the Warfield (Would have made the list with more Joanna), Screaming Females at Eagle Rock Center for the Arts (Holy shit, one of the best live acts in the world right now), Dinosaur Jr. at FYF Fest (They didn't play any new songs, and it didn't matter whatsoever), Liars (the new album was great, the live show at the Fonda even moreso), feedtime at the Echo (After 30+ years, they finally played the US and were just crushingly great), Cloud Nothings at the Echo (they brought so much energy) and Metz at the Echo (they brought even more energy).
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: Top 10 concerts of 2012

Considering I haven't been to much more than 10 concerts this year, which is actually the most I've been to in years....I'll just rank em all. (Not counting local shows or friends bands, etc.)

1. Peter Gabriel & Coachella (tie)
    2. The Presets
    3. FYF
    4. Rammstein
    5. Tears For Fears
    6. Black Keys
    7. California Metalfest
    8. Smashing Pumpkins
    9. Pacific Festival
    10. Stagecoach
    11. Andrew WK
    12. Hatebreed
    13. Jack White
    14. Young the Giant w/ The Steelwells
    Last edited by xuclarockerx; 12-03-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Still have around 10 left (and around 30 sets).

I imagine Metz will be quite high.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

1. Sigur Ros at Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

The rest will be sorted out as I look back on the year. But #1 for this year is my #1 of all time, so that's set in stone.
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

1. The Killers (9/26) @ The Fonda Theatre
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-ki...-2bdde0ae.html
    Show was spectacular and they were on it that night. Crowd was great and it was an intimate experience.

2. Kasabian (4/14) & (4/17) @ The Fonda Theatre
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kasabi...-6bde721e.html
    So much energy, crowd was jumping, people went nuts to Fire.

3. Coldplay (5/1) @ The Hollywood Bowl
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/coldpl...-33de4475.html
    Probably one the best production to go along with a show I've seen. So many lazers, lights, fireworks, oh and they sounded great.

4. Foster the People (6/30) @ The Gibson Amphitheater
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foster...-43df7363.html
    The improvements they have made since I first saw them were phenomenal. Can't wait for their next album. They were fun this go around.

5. Soundgarden (11/27) @ The Fonda Theatre
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/soundg...-1bdac1c0.html
    Been waiting so many years to see them, and finally got the opportunity. They didn't disappoint one bit. Killer setlist, and they really define rock.

6. Dr Dre. and Snoop Dogg (4/15) @ Coachella
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dr-dre...-1bde75a8.html
    Dr. Dre is my favorite rappper and combine that with went on during that show. Yeah that shit was wild.

7. Red Hot Chili Peppers (8/12) @ The Staples Center
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-ho...-23dc34d3.html
    Their performance was spectacular. If I hadn't seen so many great shows then they'd be higher. Great stage setup and everyone sounded great.

8. Refused (4/13) @ Coachella
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/refuse...-3bde7850.html
    I thought I was going to die that night, but moshing in that crowd was amazing.

9. Beck (5/22) @ The El Rey
    Great show, and entertaining to watch. The bass was sick.
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/0...l-rey-theater/

10. 311(2/29) @ The Ventura Theater
    http://setlist.com/311/2012/2.29.12.html
    I've seen them so much that's it becoming more of a re-run than anything else, but that night they busted so many old school jams, and they're still one of the best live acts.
    Last edited by theklein25; 12-03-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Spiritualized - Majestic THeatre (Electric Mainline -> Come Together holy fuck)
    Radiohead - Bonnaroo (7 rows back unbelievable time)
    Radiohead - Coachella (Lucky/AftertheGoldRush -> Everythinmg.../Myxo)
    m83 - Majestic Theatre
    Tool - some small arena in toledo
    Titus Andronicus - Magic Stick
    Jack White - Lollapalooza
    FlyLo - Bonnaroo
    Dum Dum Girls - Lollapalooza
    Jeff Mangum - Coachella

HM Joy Formidable/War On Drugs/10 min of Andy Stott @ moogfest best ten minutes of music i heard all year.
    Last edited by heart cooks brain; 12-03-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Putting mine together but I have a handful left for the year and I have a feeling this Sufjan Steven's Xmas Sing-A-Long may end up on it.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    1. The Killers (9/26) @ The Fonda Theatre
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-ki...-2bdde0ae.html
    Show was spectacular and they were on it that night. Crowd was great and it was an intimate experience.

2. Kasabian (4/14) & (4/17) @ The Fonda Theatre
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kasabi...-6bde721e.html
    So much energy, crowd was jumping, people went nuts to Fire.

3. Coldplay (5/1) @ The Hollywood Bowl
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/coldpl...-33de4475.html
    Probably one the best production to go along with a show I've seen. So many lazers, lights, fireworks, oh and they sounded great.

4. Foster the People (6/30) @ The Gibson Amphitheater
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foster...-43df7363.html
    The improvements they have made since I first saw them were phenomenal. Can't wait for their next album. They were fun this go around.

5. Soundgarden (11/27) @ The Fonda Theatre
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/soundg...-1bdac1c0.html
    Been waiting so many years to see them, and finally got the opportunity. They didn't disappoint one bit. Killer setlist, and they really define rock.

6. Dr Dre. and Snoop Dogg (4/15) @ Coachella
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dr-dre...-1bde75a8.html
    Dr. Dre is my favorite rappper and combine that with went on during that show. Yeah that shit was wild.

7. Red Hot Chili Peppers (8/12) @ The Staples Center
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-ho...-23dc34d3.html
    Their performance was spectacular. If I hadn't seen so many great shows then they'd be higher. Great stage setup and everyone sounded great.

8. Refused (4/13) @ Coachella
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/refuse...-3bde7850.html
    I thought I was going to die that night, but moshing in that crowd was amazing.

9. Beck (5/22) @ The El Rey
    Great show, and entertaining to watch. The bass was sick.

10. 311(2/29) @ The Ventura Theater
    I've seen them so much that's it becoming more of a re-run than anything else, but that night they busted so many old school jams, and they're still one of the best live acts. Wish I could find the setlist.

If ^^^ is the best, what was the worse??????????????

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Prelim. list in no particular order. I imagine i'll have one or two more contenders after ATP this coming weekend.

Peter Gabriel@Hollywood Bowl in Hollywood
    Titus Andronicus@Crescent Ballroom in Phoenix
    Leonard Cohen@Akoo Theater in Chicago
    Mogwai@Fonda in Hollywood
    Wilco@Palm Desert
    St. Vincent@Crescent Ballroom in Phoenix
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse@Outside Lands in San Francisco
    Fiona Apple@Mesa Arts in Mesa, AZ
    Sigur Ros@Outside Lands in San Francisco
    Guns n' Roses (Appetite for Democracy) @ The Joint in Las Vegas
    Tool @ Mandelay Bay in Las Vegas
    Last edited by faxman75; 12-03-2012 at 10:13 AM.

1. Sunn O))) at Memorial Auditorium, Raleigh, NC (Hopscotch Fest)
    2. Colin Stetson at the Dilettante, Los Angeles, CA
    3. Jeff Mangum at the Orpheum Theater, Los Angeles, CA
    4. Andrew Bird at Coachella, Weekend 1
    5. Leonard Cohen at Nokia Theater, Los Angeles
    6. The Mountain Goats (JD solo) at McCabe's Guitar Shop, Los Angeles, CA (night two)
    7. Kaki King at the El Rey, Los Angeles, CA
    8. Godspeed You! Black Emperor at Coachella
    9. Refused at Coachella
    10. Oren Ambarchi/David Daniell/Chris Corsano trio at King's Barcade, Raleigh, NC (Hopscotch Fest)

HMs: New Order @ the Greek, David Byrne & St. Vincent @ tye Greek, Nils frahm at Hotel cafe, Bill orcutt @ Hopscotch,

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Prelim. list in no particular order. I imagine i'll have one or two more contenders after ATP this coming weekend.
    You had better see Stars of the Lid

I'll be contributing to this thread after NYE with Nas. It's kinda hard when you have about 20 shows left including Rolling Stones, James Blake, Leonard Cohen, & Yo La Tengo Hanukkah shows

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    If ^^^ is the best, what was the worse??????????????
    Silversun Pickups weren't that great, The Naked and Famous were boring, besides that everything else I saw was good like Linkin Park, M83, Radiohead, Black Keys were great too but just not top 10 worthy

I've still got a few shows left this year, so I'll be back to roll out the top ten. Blur at the Margate Winter Gardens on August 1 will be extremely difficult to top.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    You had better see Stars of the Lid
    Never heard of them. I'm on it.

1. Radiohead, HP Pavilion San Jose 4/11/12: One of the best Radiohead shows ever, one of the best setlists of the tour, red pants. nuff said. Number one by a mile.

2. Tool, Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, 1/15/12: One of the best Tool shows ever...they opened w/ Hooker w a Penis...nuff said.

3. Radiohead, Verizon Center, Washington DC. 6/3/12: Best of the East Coast leg I saw. Another mind blowing experience.

4. Sigur Ros, Hollywood Forever 8/12/12: Breathtaking performance with an extremely respectful and appreciative crowd.

5. Peter Gabriel Hollywood Bowl 10/7/12: First time seeing him and did not know what to expect...just an amazing performer.

I've only made it to three gigs (all were completely ace) and one festival this year, but I have the cruise coming up, so I'll post after that.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

6. Mike Watt and the Missingmen - The Redwood Lounge (6/16) - I have seen Watt play in so many different iterations (see, e.g., number 8, supra) that I went to this set mostly to catch him playing something weird and fun. Instead, I was treated to a complete performance of his third opera, The Hyphenated Man, with his band the Missingmen. The "opera" is composed of 30 short tracks that all reference creatures from Hieronymus Bosch paintings. They were further inspired by Watt finally revisiting his old Minutemen work after decades of avoiding these songs for the pain they brought. What he dragged forth is a completely human and utterly real performance, full of humor, sadness, volume and spectacular playing. By the time I saw this set they had toured the opera once and were locked in; when I saw them later they seemed to be more weary of playing the same set, but here they were on pure fire. The closest I'll ever get to seeing my beloved Minutemen, and it felt like it was about as close as one would ever get.
    I went by the Redwood on my way home from Make Music Pasadena but I was too sore to stop and go in. I saw him outdoors a few weeks later and oddly enough it worked a lot better than any of the indoor shows. I can get claustrophobic at the Redwood when it gets crowded.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Was the outdoor set at Bloom Fest in the arts district? I really enjoyed that set, but I may have liked Saccharine Trust even more there.

Was the outdoor set at Bloom Fest in the arts district? I really enjoyed that set, but I may have liked Saccharine Trust even more there.
    YES, that was it. That was a good day.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Considering I haven't been to much more than 10 concerts this year, which is actually the most I've been to in years....I'll just rank em all. (Not counting local shows or friends bands, etc.)

1. Peter Gabriel & Coachella (tie)
    2. The Presets
    3. FYF
    4. Rammstein
    5. Tears For Fears
    6. Black Keys
    7. California Metalfest
    8. Smashing Pumpkins
    9. Pacific Festival
    10. Stagecoach
    11. Andrew WK
    12. Hatebreed
    13. Jack White
    14. Young the Giant w/ The Steelwells
    Updated to add Andrew WK, Tears For Fears, Young The Giant/The Steelwells, and Stagecoach.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

UPDATE
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

1. Jeff Mangum at The Fox Oakland

2. Outsidelands

3. Coachella.

fin.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

This is currently in order of date, not ranking. I saw a lot of good stuff this year. I'll tighten this up and write descriptions up later, but here's a rough list.

Wilco @Wiltern - 1/25/12
    Refused @Primavera Sound
    Lisabo @Primavera Sound
    Sleepy Sun @Primavera Sound
    Godflesh @Primavera Sound
    Mark Gardener of Ride with Sky Parade as backing band @Part Time Punks Shoegaze Festival, Echoplex - 6/24/12
    Duke Ellington Orchestra featuring Brian MacKnight @Hollywood Bowl - 8/8/12
    Quicksand @FYF Fest - 9/1/12
    Menomena @El Rey - 9/27/12
    Grizzly Bear @Greek - 10/20/12
    Afghan Whigs @Fonda - 11/9/12
    Joy Formidable @Troubadour - 11/19/12
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Off the top of my head...
    1. Sigur Ros – Hollywood Forever Cemetery - Los Angeles, CA
    2. Radiohead – Jobing.com Arena - Glendale, AZ
    3. Charles Bradley – The Gorge - George, WA
    4. Spiritualized – Rialto Theatre - Tucson, AZ
    5. The Tallest Man on Earth – Hotel Congress - Tucson, AZ
    6. Tycho – The Gorge - George, Washington
    7. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Coachella
    8. Tycho – Plush - Tucson, AZ
    9. Spiritualized – The Gorge - George, Washington
    10.Titus Andronicus - Crescent Ballroom - Phoenix, AZ
    Last edited by Gribbz; 12-03-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

It seems wrong to keep Spiritualized off my list, but that's how great this year has been for live music.

That was my first and second time seeing Spiritualized. In fact, the only act on my list that I've seen prior is the Tallest Man on Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I'm working on mine but still have one more show this year (at least). I can say Peter Gabriel @ The Hollywood Bowl immediately popped into my head when I thought of "top show" for the year. That show was like fine wine.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Was hard for me to list 1-10 so I just went from January to November.

Tool - Dallas (1/20-1/21)
    Went to these shows back to back. Iíve only seen Tool a handful of times but this was by far the best Iíve heard them sound. Maynard sounded excellent and the band mixed it up a little each night playing a slightly different setlist on each night. The venue was also excellent. One of my favorite venues in Dallas.

Radiohead - Dallas (3/5)
    I went to 4 Radiohead shows that week but the Dallas show was by far the best. The band was on fire that night. They seemed engaged with the crowd and the way that the setlist flowed never allowed for a dull moment. It was also the first time My cousin was seeing them so it was great to experience such a great show with him.

At The Drive-In - Austin (4/9)
    This was their first show back together since their breakup and they played in a tiny 400 person room. I still donít know how I got tickets to this but the show was crazy. Of all the times Iíve seen The Mars Volta this was the best that Cedric has sounded. The band seemed to really be enjoying playing these old songs again and the crowd was absolutely nuts.

Metallica (Ride The Lightning) - Atlantic City (6/23)
    This setlist was an absolute treat for me. I hadnít planned on going to this festival upon first announcement, but when they said they were going to play Ride The Lightning in full I knew I had to go. Ride The Lightning is one of my favorite metal albums of all time and it was a real treat to see it like this. On top of all the other songs they played they completely ignored songs from Load, Reload, St. Anger, and Death Magnetic so it made for a really excellent night.

Sigur Růs - Lollapalooza (8/5)
    Even though it was a festival set and it was at 4 in the afternoon, Sigur Růs still managed to give me chills. Their sound was so perfect and the crowd was just in quiet awe of what they were doing up there. I can only imagine how spectacular they must be in their own shows.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Dallas (10/11)
    I had seen Godspeed the two previous nights in Austin but the venue and the sound were so much better in Dallas. I missed them at Coachella but it was probably for the best for me to see them in a dark quiet venue. They way they orchestrate their sound just left me mesmerized. Towards the end of the set my jaw had literally dropped. I canít wait to see them again.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - ACL (10/13)
    Neil was the whole reason I even went to ACL this year. I have been a fan for many years and I love seeing the man in action. I really like Psychedelic Pill and I thought the extended jams they did of all of their songs was just perfect. Also, the crowd singing along to Down By The River was my absolute favorite moment of the weekend.

Refused - FFF Fest (11/3)
    Even though I loved them at Coachella they were really something special at FFF Fest. The crowd was absolutely nuts and the band sounded really tight. I think they played pretty much the same setlist but the setting and the crowd really made this one win out for me. Sad that theyíre no longer going to be together but Iím thrilled I got to see them one final time.

High on Fire - Dallas (11/17)
    Been a fan of sleep for a long time but never really got around to seeing High On Fire. I had planned to see them at the Mayhem Festival but that fell through when Matt Pike got sick, so after a recommendation from people on the board I went to see them in Dallas a few weeks ago. The show was so good. I didnít know how different it would be from a Sleep show but Pike just killed it. Sound was also ridiculously loud. Iím talking Swans-level of loud. It took around three days for my hearing to return to normal.

Paul McCartney - Houston (11/14)
    One of the best shows Iíve ever seen. Hands down. I had never seen Paul before so when he announced his show in Houston I sprung at the chance to see him. I had amazing seats in the very front section about 20 rows back that were worth every penny. The show was everything I hoped it would be. The sing alongs to the songs were amazing with 40,000 other people, and the energy of Paul and his band couldnít be beat. I had an ear to ear smile for a week after this show. Also ending with Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End was the perfect way to close out the show. I wish I couldíve gone to Vancouver the following week to see it again.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It seems wrong to keep Spiritualized off my list, but that's how great this year has been for live music.
    Yeah, if i had seen the full set that the rest of you guys saw, they'd probably be on mine as well. They were incredible at Primavera, but a 50-minute Spiritualized set is quite truncated, not matter how great.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl