Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2013

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: Burning Man 2013

I would not even rely on reports just before. last year there were lots of reports about poor road conditions. a few were bad, but most were fine.

This is probably a silly question, but if I'm showing up by myself, once I get through the entrance, am I going to be sort of pointed where I'm supposed to camp (like coachella camping)? I haven't been able to find anything that explains anything beyond entering the entrance gate.

I see on the eplaya forums that some of the bigger camps are getting their placement.

I just don't want to end up driving around for a minute randomly and then parking somewhere I'm not supposed to lol
    Last edited by grind; 07-20-2013 at 06:24 PM.

You're fucked.

Be nice, Santa.

I think that is a legit ? I had no clue how the drive into Coachella or the Roo was b4 I went. Sure you can get directions etc how to get there, but past the gate, I haven't seen a whole lot ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Just ask. Somebody will help you.

you'll be handed a map on the way in. it will also be published online ahead of time. you can drive along any of the roads and pick anywhere you want to camp so long as it is empty, within the city bounds, not in the middle of a road, it is not an area reserved for a theme camp. you will be able to detect the roads easily enough. the map last year was shaded to show the reserved areas. reserved areas were also marked using blue flags, apparently, though I did not notice that when I arrive. you can find more details & see the map from last year on this page. the earlier you get there the more choice you will have for where to camp.

my first year some people we carpooled with recommended that as soon as we pick a spot we go register our names & address in the computer system at center camp. they claimed it would help us avoid setting up in a spot that was reserved, though I am still not particularly clear on how that helps. I assume that if you try to register yourself in a reserved area it would warn you, but having not landed in that situation I am not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Just ask. Somebody will help you.
    this, too. if you are ever unsure or need help just ask around. people will be happy to help.

Thanks guys! Yeah sorry, I figured it was more or less first come first serve, but I didn't want to show up, plant myself somewhere, and unknowingly break some sort of unspoken rule of where to camp. I suppose I should have just waited and asked at the gate, but I figured the more prepared I am the better

Being prepared is a very good plan.

Being prepared is a very good plan.
    But sometimes spur of the moment is a rush ... jk ...cr****

Not for BM.

Not for BM.
    Just a joke gal. I am always prepared I hope..... cr****

http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com...ack-rock-city/

This was an interesting and disappointing article.

Quote Originally Posted by grind View Post
    Thanks guys! Yeah sorry, I figured it was more or less first come first serve, but I didn't want to show up, plant myself somewhere, and unknowingly break some sort of unspoken rule of where to camp. I suppose I should have just waited and asked at the gate, but I figured the more prepared I am the better
    it's better to be prepared. I have heard tales of people setting up camp and then having to move because they set up in a reserved area.

Grind, where are you driving in from? Me from Denver so I80 all the friggin way thru Nv... cr****

http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com...ack-rock-city/

This was an interesting and disappointing article.
    Disappointing indeed. It definitely makes us remember that we all have to be aware of our surroundings for the sake of ourselves and for others who might need help.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Grind, where are you driving in from? Me from Denver so I80 all the friggin way thru Nv... cr****
    I'll be driving from Phoenix, on the 93 almost the entire way up through the left side of Nevada. Supposed to take about 14 hours from where I live according to google maps. I saw in one of the JRS emails that they're leaving a bunch of space empty specifically for anyone to set up and camp in, so I might figure out where that is and head right to those areas, or just ask someone at the gate.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

This is probably a silly question, but if I'm showing up by myself, once I get through the entrance, am I going to be sort of pointed where I'm supposed to camp (like coachella camping)? I haven't been able to find anything that explains anything beyond entering the entrance gate.

I see on the eplaya forums that some of the bigger camps are getting their placement.

I just don't want to end up driving around for a minute randomly and then parking somewhere I'm not supposed to lol
    If you've never been before and don't know exactly where you want to go I HIGHLY recommend arriving during daylight. Nighttime is a shitshow (no still picture or even YT vid will ever prepare you for it), especially if the dust picks up. Granted it's way calmer in the outer streets where you'll likely wind up camping, but it can still be a little tough to get a bearing on what you're camping on top of. You might think you've found an open plot and then wake up to find you're in the middle of some poorly taped off reserved area. If you get there any later than Tuesday your safest bet is to find some spot in the outer streets, like I or further out (I think it generally goes to L. If you want to get closer you probably can find a little spot on the outskirts of someone's reserved space but be sure to ask first before setting up.

Don't camp directly next to the street if you can at all prevent it.

If you do get there at night you will not be able to resist running out into the fray. If that happens BE SURE to pick landmarks to find your way back. As risky as it is I'd still say go for it as a night is too precious to waste out there. You'll figure it out eventually.

btw do not fall into the "first year, second day" trap. If you loose your shit the first night before experiencing the heat of the day be sure to HYDRATE before going to sleep. Then hydrate in the morning. Then proceed to constantly hydrate day and night the rest of the week. That means water. Usually you have camp members reminding each other to do this but you'll have to remind yourself for a while.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 07-23-2013 at 06:32 PM.

You'll have to remind yourself?

having a camelback with you at all times, day or night, helps stay hydrated.

Hydration should be second nature. Thought shouldn't even be part of the process. No matter how fucked up you are.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Hydration should be second nature. Thought shouldn't even be part of the process. No matter how fucked up you are.
    Hydration is not second nature to some when they're strung out from partying. Or they only drink sugary drinks or alcohol which the body immediately tries to expel from your system. Every year hundreds of people wind up in the med tents for hours to days because somebody didn't tell them to drink water.

so yes. some need reminders.

I think hydration is first nature.

that fact that some people have managed to override that is a little sad.

Well after all my planning and even buying tics, life got too confusing the last few weeks so I'm not going to the man . sad but there is always next year ... cr****

I've had enough summers in AZ to the point where I basically don't leave the house without some water in hand, that's one of the few things I'm not too worried about haha

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Well after all my planning and even buying tics, life got too confusing the last few weeks so I'm not going to the man . sad but there is always next year ... cr****
    Ahh say it isn't so! You and I were one of the few first timers from the coachella boards!

If you arrive at night just drive right onto the esplanade and beyond. Get that first embarrassing moment out of the way early

I will be there starting 8/19. Anyone else gonna be out there for pre-event?

I've had enough summers in AZ to the point where I basically don't leave the house without some water in hand, that's one of the few things I'm not too worried about haha

Ahh say it isn't so! You and I were one of the few first timers from the coachella boards!
    Yea just sold my tics grrrr. I can't think of the last time I bailed on a show but things are just too busy for me to spend the time and energy I would need to go there in a month. Day in a life. Now I can concentrate on other things because I was putting a lot of energy towards BMan {: cr****

You're retired. What is keeping you so busy?

You're retired. What is keeping you so busy?
    BMan about 2k for me. I want to send sis some $ because of fire. If I stay home, 2 miles away is Phish for 3 days, still have a local fest and VooDoo coming up. Trying to help an old gf and youngest daughter to live month to month. I should wait till next year when I have health insurance. Got tics for DMB just days b4 I would need to leave. There are more but that's as much as I want to type cr****