Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 355

Thread: Burning Man 2013

  1. #121
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    If you consider going with a friend, solo, we are going solo. IDK, I think hooking up with a theme camp is a bit like VIP or safari tents. I know it's not that straight forward, but that's my reason. I do plan on volunteering most everyday at other camps though. I have to get some rebar ..... BTW, I am now looking for one more tic also..... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  2. #122

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Grind I think you have to be a complete asshole to have a bad time at Burning Man, honestly. I don't know you but you seem pretty positive about it so I think you'll have a great time. It's probably the easiest place in the world to meet and hang out with random people, honestly, unless you're a complete asshole.

    That said there are a few things that you're really, really going to want. It is harsh out there and you could have a less-than-stellar experience if you're lacking some basic equipment and supplies. We can help you prepare if you have any questions.

  3. #123

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Thanks guys! I like to think I'm not an asshole haha, so I think all will be well. Helping people set up and build stuff sounds pretty fun so I'll probably be doing a lot of that if I can.

    The only thing I'm a little worried about is running out of gas in line, or on the way out before I can get to a gas station. I read that it's good to fill up in Fernley because Gerlach gets really busy. Have you had any experience with that?

  4. #124
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,354

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If you consider going with a friend, solo, we are going solo. IDK, I think hooking up with a theme camp is a bit like VIP or safari tents. I know it's not that straight forward, but that's my reason. I do plan on volunteering most everyday at other camps though. I have to get some rebar ..... BTW, I am now looking for one more tic also..... cr****
    There is no such thing as "VIP", and if there were you'd want it. This isn't like a hipster festival with red roped sections and tiered service packages. All a theme camp does is help you leverage collective resources and if they're not jerks it generally means a better experience. There are pretty much zero places on the playa just any old schmuck doesn't have access to.

  5. #125
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    I'm undecided if I am going thru the trouble of taking a bike or not. I also never go to a fest without my E-Z up but I am skipping that. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  6. #126
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,354

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by grind View Post
    Thanks guys! I like to think I'm not an asshole haha, so I think all will be well. Helping people set up and build stuff sounds pretty fun so I'll probably be doing a lot of that if I can.

    The only thing I'm a little worried about is running out of gas in line, or on the way out before I can get to a gas station. I read that it's good to fill up in Fernley because Gerlach gets really busy. Have you had any experience with that?
    If you're there early in the week and you come across some art project being set up or a camp near you that needs help getting their camp set up it's completely commonplace to stop and offer help. You'll probably wind up boozing and feasting and maybe partying with them immediately after. There will be at least a couple open bars within 100' of wherever you are so at the very least you go and tell them you're neighbors and they'll probably help you out if you need something.

    Unless you have a very tiny gas tank you'll be fine gassing up in Fernley and making it back there on the way out. If you're stuck in a huge entrance or exodus line just cut your engine until you have to move.

  7. #127
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,354

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I'm undecided if I am going thru the trouble of taking a bike or not. I also never go to a fest without my E-Z up but I am skipping that. cr****
    If you can manage a bike at all you should bring one. Everyone always enjoys the notion of a leisurely walk on the way out for an adventure, and rarely imagines how much they'll want method to get home quicker.

  8. #128
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    There is no such thing as "VIP", and if there were you'd want it. This isn't like a hipster festival with red roped sections and tiered service packages. All a theme camp does is help you leverage collective resources and if they're not jerks it generally means a better experience. There are pretty much zero places on the playa just any old schmuck doesn't have access to.
    That's not what I mean. I just want to see if I"m not stupid, plan, can I do this on my own? The example would be more like, if I give a camp a few hundred dollars, they will have shade, Portie potties etc..Oh well. You know I am not a hipster and I know BMan is nothing like Coachella geez... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  9. #129

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    BRING A BIKE. BRING A BIIIIIKE.

    A bike is the second most important thing I'd personally recommend aside from a Camelbak (and this is only first because it'll keep you alive). The playa gets packed down pretty well, at least on the streets and around the man/temple, which makes riding a bike easy. It's a ton of fun and it's the only way you'll cover enough ground to see even a glimpse of everything there is to see, without a bike you're stuck walking or hitching rides and you're going to be very limited in mobility and probably pretty tired. Even if you love setting out on foot you can still ride your bike somewhere, park it, and then walk from there. Trust me, bring a bike. Just do it.

  10. #130
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Yea I know you would be right in the end. I'll have to pick up a used fat tire beach sort of one, but I don't want to hang at camp because I am too tired. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  11. #131

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Yeah anything comfortable with fat tires is a good idea.

  12. #132
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    Yeah anything comfortable with fat tires is a good idea.
    Tnx comments like that just confirm what I thought might be right ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  13. #133
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,679

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I'm undecided if I am going thru the trouble of taking a bike or not. I also never go to a fest without my E-Z up but I am skipping that. cr****
    "skipping" it? as if it is by choice that you are leaving it at home?

  14. #134
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    "skipping" it? as if it is by choice that you are leaving it at home?
    Yes it survived the last Waka major storms but I think people look down on them in general at some places.....cr***

    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  15. #135
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,679

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yes it survived the last Waka major storms but I think people look down on them in general at some places.....cr***
    the only reason they would be looked down on at burning man is because they will blow away in the first significant dust storm. the fact that you feel it is a choice of whether bring it or not worries me. please do some more research so you know what you are getting into.

  16. #136
    Member Santa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Not all theme camps charge fees.

    Bike is a must, if you make it into a double or more bike, even better!
    Last edited by Santa; 08-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.

  17. #137

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Hmm I was debating bringing a bike along, now it seems like a must have. I'm going to have to find a way to shove a bike in my car haha. Or shell out for a carrier to hook up to my trunk or whatever.

    I'm glad I can find a bike on craigslist for under $50 haha
    Last edited by grind; 07-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.

  18. #138
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,679

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    a bike is tremendously useful.

  19. #139
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    the only reason they would be looked down on at burning man is because they will blow away in the first significant dust storm. the fact that you feel it is a choice of whether bring it or not worries me. please do some more research so you know what you are getting into.
    Let me reword that "I am unsure about a bike but I am NOT going to take my canopy because it will fucking blow away" Better? I looked it up and it hard to find specific numbers but it looks like more people have died at many other events then BMan. If someone worries about me, they usually get bored after a couple of days. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  20. #140
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,771

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    How much would it cost to get one of you to lead Ron out into the desert and abandon him?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  21. #141
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    How much would it cost to get one of you to lead Ron out into the desert and abandon him?
    I went thru the deserts of Mexico by myself and it didn't work so you will have to try hard ...cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  22. #142
    Member Santa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    How much would it cost to get one of you to lead Ron out into the desert and abandon him?
    $1000
    20% Bonus if he's on PCP and naked other than a monkey belt tail
    Last edited by Santa; 07-18-2013 at 10:51 PM.

  23. #143
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,321

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Bring a bike. This shouldn't even be a question.

  24. #144
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,679

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Let me reword that "I am unsure about a bike but I am NOT going to take my canopy because it will fucking blow away" Better? I looked it up and it hard to find specific numbers but it looks like more people have died at many other events then BMan. If someone worries about me, they usually get bored after a couple of days. cr****
    I didn't mean to offend, and I hope you really were aware of that and are not just being defensive now that I've pointed it out. you did claim to be leaving it home by choice, citing being looked down upon, rather than out of necessity.

  25. #145
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I didn't mean to offend, and I hope you really were aware of that and are not just being defensive now that I've pointed it out. you did claim to be leaving it home by choice, citing being looked down upon, rather than out of necessity.
    Same, I am here for info not to argue. What I would like to buy and replace my current tent is one of those that goes on the top of your vehicle. Now that would be pretty dumb for BMan so I'm not going to, but I want one of those..... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  26. #146
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,354

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Let me reword that "I am unsure about a bike but I am NOT going to take my canopy because it will fucking blow away" Better? I looked it up and it hard to find specific numbers but it looks like more people have died at many other events then BMan. If someone worries about me, they usually get bored after a couple of days. cr****
    You want an ez-up. Didn't you say you're going alone? Nobody's going to shade you but yourself. you NEED shade over your tent. It's not even debatable.
    sink 4 cement spikes and ratchet strap your shit to them. done.

    (don't listen to everyone that insists you need rebar. Rebar's a pain in the ass to remove. An 18" cement spike will hold just as well and slide right out with a twist. THe only disadvantage is they're a little pricey at the register but they're priceless on the playa.)
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 07-19-2013 at 01:30 PM.

  27. #147
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,354

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    BRING A BIKE. BRING A BIIIIIKE.

    A bike is the second most important thing I'd personally recommend aside from a Camelbak (and this is only first because it'll keep you alive). The playa gets packed down pretty well, at least on the streets and around the man/temple, which makes riding a bike easy. It's a ton of fun and it's the only way you'll cover enough ground to see even a glimpse of everything there is to see, without a bike you're stuck walking or hitching rides and you're going to be very limited in mobility and probably pretty tired. Even if you love setting out on foot you can still ride your bike somewhere, park it, and then walk from there. Trust me, bring a bike. Just do it.
    While I agree about the bike I'd caution against guaranteeing folks decent riding conditions. 07 and 08, and to a lesser extent 09, were extremely dry years and the dunes made riding almost impossible. When those things grab your front tire you're fucked. If you were going at any reasonable speed at the time you're going straight over those bars. sucks.

  28. #148
    Member Santa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    That moment when you're flying through the deep playa with friends on a bike, then you lose everyone as you hit a small dune.

  29. #149
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,321

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Or that moment when everybody seems to have a bike except you.



    Black Rock City is huge.

  30. #150

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Admittedly I've only been two years and the biking conditions were good for both of them, so my experience is limited, but I'd say bring a bike unless there are a ton of reports just before the burn confirming that biking will be absolutely impossible. It's been (relatively?) wet in the last month or so on the playa which usually turns into good biking conditions, or so they tell me.

Similar Threads

  1. Oh the Places You'll Go ft. Burning Man
    By Desaparecidos in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 03:45 PM
  2. Burning Man
    By Dave_2006 in forum Questions
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
  3. Who's going to Burning Man?
    By algunz in forum Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
  4. Help Burning CD's Please
    By canexplain in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 02:23 PM
  5. Burning Man
    By PharmRocker in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •