Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2013

Default Re: Burning Man 2013

I did hear a hilarious (I was basically gone beyond gone when I heard it so it might not be as funny to you at this moment in time, but c'est la vie) joke out on playa:

What's the difference between a hippie and a burner?

Burners have tickets.

I think Puffy going is unironically a good thing, I don't give a fuck about people buying pre-made outfits, whatever. This year was fun as fuck and as long as they don't alter the core principles too much then I think BM is going to be fine for a while. I'm still basically a newjack, this was only my third year so I can't speak whatsoever to how the event has changed in the last 20 years, but as long as you can roll around in the desert getting fucked up with your friends for a week then I think the event is going to be just fine.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

yes it seems to happen every 5 minutes, unfortunately mostly while we're all up there all really wishing we we had the time and stable access to the internet to read them.
    Fortunately there's another wave when everyone starts flooding facebook with photos.

Don't you just feel sullied, though, knowing that you might have danced next to someone who didn't sew his own vest? I can't even imagine.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

My only problem with it is that I can't afford to get someone to recreate Puffy's outfit for me

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I did hear a hilarious (I was basically gone beyond gone when I heard it so it might not be as funny to you at this moment in time, but c'est la vie) joke out on playa:

What's the difference between a hippie and a burner?

Burners have tickets.

I think Puffy going is unironically a good thing, I don't give a fuck about people buying pre-made outfits, whatever. This year was fun as fuck and as long as they don't alter the core principles too much then I think BM is going to be fine for a while. I'm still basically a newjack, this was only my third year so I can't speak whatsoever to how the event has changed in the last 20 years, but as long as you can roll around in the desert getting fucked up with your friends for a week then I think the event is going to be just fine.
    It's still pretty much the same shit it was 10 years ago.

I don't begrudge celebs going up there any more than any other person. Just because puffy showed up doesn't mean anybody there had less of a good time. That's really only interesting to ppl who didn't go. My only sighting this year was Susan Sarandon (in a blue light-up bra. OMG I seriously doubt she made that herself!) I've seen Leo DiCaprio twice out there and he was suprisingly non-douchey. He just politely nodded once he was spotted and quietly slunk away. I saw Rosario Dawson out there at sunrise once. A dusty exhausted bleary-eyed Rosario was probably the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen in my life.

The only celeb pic I've ever seen that might annoy me is this one
    http://sfist.com/2013/09/05/winklevo..._officiall.php

I think he still looks good with his shirt off.

So when did making your own outfit become such an important part of being accepted on the playa?

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Don't you just feel sullied, though, knowing that you might have danced next to someone who didn't sew his own vest? I can't even imagine.
    That's part of the amusing tension though. Sure there's dudes who bought their way in, but that's just another dude you can feel superior to if you want to. What fun. The pretense all fades away though when those guys come up to you effusive and worshipping an art car or other project you've sweat blood on for months leading up to it.

There was a dude who was dancing on the robot heart sculpture above the DJ thursday night who had this long fur coat that had some sort of complex light controller display thingy in it that displayed incredibly articulate images through the fur. There was everything from scrolling text to Bart Simpson spraying graffiti on wall (this was easy to make out on the back of a fur coat from at least 80 feet away, mind you). Sure that guy probably paid someone to make that for him. But holy shit I'm glad he did.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 09-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I think he still looks good with his shirt off.

So when did making your own outfit become such an important part of being accepted on the playa?
    I never said it did (oh wait the sarandon thing. twas a joke)

the funniest part of the winkelvoss pic is his expression. you know he's pissed at whoever's taking the pic because he knows exactly where it'll wind up and what folks will say. but dammit he's trying to nail that chick
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 09-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.

I just think it's fucking amazing that the dude responsible for executive producing Biggie's albums was doing some early morning raving at Robot Heart

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    There was a dude who was dancing on the robot heart sculpture above the DJ thursday night who had this long fur coat that had some sort of complex light controller display thingy in it that displayed incredibly articulate images through the fur. There was everything from scrolling text to Bart Simpson spraying graffiti on wall (this was easy to make out on the back of a fur coat from at least 80 feet away, mind you). Sure that guy probably paid someone to make that for him. But holy shit I'm glad he did.
    Yeah that shit was incredible. I was staring at it for as long as he was up there

I never said it did.
    It never did. We just heard plenty of the whining from the hipsters that were left behind.

Soooo on the celebrity thing.... My friends and I built a banana stand and handed out frozen bananas, and guess who showed up? Maeby from arrested development. It was awesome!!!
    you are soooooooo good lookin

That is awesome. We need pictures.

Im at work currently so I can not post pics but when I get back from godspeed tonight, I will!!!
    you are soooooooo good lookin

That's part of the amusing tension though. Sure there's dudes who bought their way in, but that's just another dude you can feel superior to if you want to. What fun. The pretense all fades away though when those guys come up to you effusive and worshipping an art car or other project you've sweat blood on for months leading up to it.
    Right. Hipsters (who've never been, or maybe went once and feel that they did it "authentically") being grouchy are great because it's as if they think that they are groundbreakingly exposing BM for.....having what, douchebags? People that exist on some level in every sort of cultural group/gathering? It's pretty funny, especially that there are now people who read what seem to be more ample media coverage about BM and say/think things like, "Oh, it's sold out. I'll never go now.....too mainstream." Personally, I hope to make it out there by 2015 and plan on commissioning small school children to design my outfits for no pay.

I've got a few classrooms full of kids you could use.

I plan on off-shoring all my preparation.

How small will you make your minions?

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Personally, I hope to make it out there by 2015
    I'm inviting myself to the year you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Yes! I'd love to go with T & Chewy's crew.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

It was quite interesting reading old issues of Piss Clear in center camp to find people were saying the exact same things about burning man 10 years ago as they are saying now.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    In the end Gunz is just a pussy ,,,, cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I had never given much thought about going until this year.... I'm thinking as birthday present to myself when I'm 30... would be 2018.
    Gonna start training now. Ha
    My friend just warned me about the price levels. Super sneaky, but interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    My friend just warned me about the price levels. Super sneaky, but interesting.
    I'm struggling to imagine what about the current price level (singular) or past price levels could be considered sneaky.

He said you can pay 150, 250, 350... the higher level you pay, the better luck you'll have in the LOTTERY.
    The higher levels balance out the lower in the end, so they still get the same revenue.
    Sorrrrrry if I brain-farted there.

Your friend is either dumb or misinformed or perhaps both. They did the lottery in 2012 and it was terrible. You could choose the level up to which you were willing to pay, and by virtue of that I would assume that it was easier to win a ticket at the higher levels since fewer people chose those tiers.

Anyway, there was nothing good about the lottery so they entirely scrapped it in 2013, now it's just first-come, first-serve and everyone pays $380 (plus about $20 in fees). You can also get a low income ticket but you have to apply directly with the organization for those. Nobody knows how ticketing will work for 2014 but I can't imagine they'll change it much from this year, especially since they're allowed to sell 10k more tickets now per their agreement with the BLM.

Okay, fine, you worded it better than I did. (wording things out of my ass isn't my strongest suit)

But thanks, I'll be on the lookout then.

Right. Hipsters (who've never been, or maybe went once and feel that they did it "authentically") being grouchy are great because it's as if they think that they are groundbreakingly exposing BM for.....having what, douchebags? People that exist on some level in every sort of cultural group/gathering? It's pretty funny, especially that there are now people who read what seem to be more ample media coverage about BM and say/think things like, "Oh, it's sold out. I'll never go now.....too mainstream." Personally, I hope to make it out there by 2015 and plan on commissioning small school children to design my outfits for no pay.
    The thing is no matter how much media it gets, the event doesn't really seem to change. A few more people but still basically the same. The event isn't becoming mainstream, mainstream is bending towards it if anything. BM is now being taken more seriously in pop culture and advertising, but mainstream culture has always and continues to show up in amusing ways at BM. No difference between now and then. There's a story once in a while like Krug throwing a marketing party up there, but they took a decent amount of heat and mockery for it and it hasn't really happened since.

robot heart posted this earlier today. so good.

What are the lights in the foreground?

people riding by on bikes.