Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 355

Thread: Burning Man 2013

  1. #61
    Member Inthecolumbiagorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Posts
    1,110

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    $380 for a 7 day event sounds like a bargain to me. having been there.. it is.
    Absolutely! Especially if you are involved with a theme camp or an art car you can get early entry and then you can be there even longer and watch a lot of it being built. It really is just such an incredible experience and very worth the price:-) Nothing I have ever been to even comes close!

  2. #62
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,489

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Yes, I went in '96 (the year before they moved it to private land for a year). I would expect it's a very different place than what I recall. But at the moment my best explanation would be it was like an adventure down the rabbit hole, but outside of the random encounters with dodo birds and desert queens you still have to be fully responsible for your own survival and the well being of others. It was exhaustingly awesome. I just don't got that kind of commitment in me anymore.
    I'm pretty sure 96 was before they set up the city streets, right? It's still very much about taking care of yourself, but it's not entirely essential at this point. There's a good amount of staff sweeping up the truly clueless folks. There's about a dozen medical stations. If you find yourself not able to handle it they take care of you. And the city's so big that you can generally find what you need out there and even get fed for free within a few blocks of wherever you're at.

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,691

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Low income applications are now up!

  4. #64
    Member AbundantChoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Egull View Post
    I haven't really checked out the board over there. If you have questions about anything, I am sure people on here can help you out, but if just browsing to browse, I'm sure they are a lot more informative over there.
    Just as the Coachella message board doesn't represent 99% of the average Coachella-going populace, eplaya doesn't represent 99% of the average burner. It's a great resource, but it's not necessarily representative. ePlaya is "closer" to Burning Man than the Coachella forums are to Coachella, but it's far from a good fit.

    One thinig that can be super-useful is to find the local burner meetup if there is one. For example, Boston has a burner meet-up every tuesday where people from all the various Boston-based camps can get together, hang out, etc. Great source of information.

    In general, though, BM is nowhere near as anarchic as it used to be, true. But it still does involve a decent amount of planning. With that said, it's also really easy to overdo it. As long as you have shelter, water, basic food, goggles, bandana/dust mask, and good foot protection, you've covered most of it. Everything else is secondary.

    If you've never been, my two key pieces of advice would be (a) it's utterly impossible to see & do everything at Burning Man in any given year, so don't even bother to try; just go with the flow and enjoy yourself, and (b) don't over commit in your first year; you may want to volunteer for a bunch of stuff, join a theme camp, and bring some big art project, but i'd advise taking your first year to "feel out" the festival a bit and focus on contributing by helping out on playa and being an appreciative and engaged Burner. Being part of an organized theme camp might help with that; it might not. It will almost definitely help with some of the logistical planning you'll have to do (i.e. the theme camp you join might do communal water, or have a shower enclosure for the camp, or even a mess hall, etc).

  5. #65
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,042

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by AbundantChoice View Post
    Just as the Coachella message board doesn't represent 99% of the average Coachella-going populace, eplaya doesn't represent 99% of the average burner. It's a great resource, but it's not necessarily representative. ePlaya is "closer" to Burning Man than the Coachella forums are to Coachella, but it's far from a good fit.

    One thinig that can be super-useful is to find the local burner meetup if there is one. For example, Boston has a burner meet-up every tuesday where people from all the various Boston-based camps can get together, hang out, etc. Great source of information.

    In general, though, BM is nowhere near as anarchic as it used to be, true. But it still does involve a decent amount of planning. With that said, it's also really easy to overdo it. As long as you have shelter, water, basic food, goggles, bandana/dust mask, and good foot protection, you've covered most of it. Everything else is secondary.

    If you've never been, my two key pieces of advice would be (a) it's utterly impossible to see & do everything at Burning Man in any given year, so don't even bother to try; just go with the flow and enjoy yourself, and (b) don't over commit in your first year; you may want to volunteer for a bunch of stuff, join a theme camp, and bring some big art project, but i'd advise taking your first year to "feel out" the festival a bit and focus on contributing by helping out on playa and being an appreciative and engaged Burner. Being part of an organized theme camp might help with that; it might not. It will almost definitely help with some of the logistical planning you'll have to do (i.e. the theme camp you join might do communal water, or have a shower enclosure for the camp, or even a mess hall, etc).
    Tnx for the advice. I will be new to BM this year and looking forward to it. I think we will camp solo and not do the theme camp thing. It looks like that has turned into a mini business for some people ($500 to join a camp? hummmm). I am pretty independent though. Geez I to haul in so much fucking water though, yikes. My gf is not sure if she can "do the playa" so I may just go by myself. See you there maybe....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  6. #66
    Member shermanoaksyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    dtla
    Posts
    1,801

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Directed group sale gogogo

  7. #67
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,042

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Did anyone register yesterday? cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  8. #68
    Cobra psychic friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    valley girl
    Posts
    9,334

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    ok so looks like I'm planning for round 2. And spending this weekend out of town with some of the lovely folks that I first burned with almost 6 months ago will probably solidify those plans.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

  9. #69
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,042

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Cool, it would be funny if I saw you at Vegoose and BMan and never at Coachella. I don't think my gf would like it so I may go with the boys (2 24) so they can do all the hard work then go play with the girls while I just go look at amazing things and people. Oh yea, I know it's smaller than Coachella (52k) but it is still hard to meet up with peeps it seems. Hey, btw, I didn't want to pm you but can you send me a link about any ada stuff at Coachella. I read about the ada day parking but that is all I could find. No ada camping. Wow that would be odd esp in Cali.....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,691

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Registration is now open for general on sale till Feb 10th. Tickets go on sale Feb. 13th...Just a reminder!

  11. #71
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,042

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Tnx, yea I did that today .....yea......cr****

    PF the mods there are so fucking mean. If you post a vid in a non vid thread they email you and slap your hand. Geez. But the Roo board you can't talk or spell out the words drugs... We're lucky eh ...cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  12. #72
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,573

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    And people think we're intolerant and rude here?

  13. #73
    Cobra psychic friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    valley girl
    Posts
    9,334

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    OFF BM TOPIC, ron ada page is here http://www.coachella.com/festival-info/ada for ada car camping just show your ada placard with your car camping pass and they will guide you up closer to the entrance of car camping, first come first serve. there is no special pass to purchase.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

  14. #74
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Duluth Minnesota
    Posts
    8,628

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    I preregistered this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

  15. #75
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    15,037

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    I finally got my confirmation email from pre-registering two days ago.

  16. #76
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,042

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    I got mine this morn. I know it sells out but I think it is pretty sure we will get tics now. The only big one left now is The Roo which never sells out (usually). shaker, maybe share a bowl at BMan eh.....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  17. #77

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    I don't think BM is going to sell out, and even if it does getting a face value ticket will never be a problem. It'll be different this year because they aren't using a dumb ticket distribution system and they've already distributed 10k tickets to 'core' groups (which they did at the end of the process last year)... last year it sold out because people were genuinely worried that they wouldn't get a ticket, this year the demand won't be as great.

  18. #78
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,042

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I don't think BM is going to sell out, and even if it does getting a face value ticket will never be a problem. It'll be different this year because they aren't using a dumb ticket distribution system and they've already distributed 10k tickets to 'core' groups (which they did at the end of the process last year)... last year it sold out because people were genuinely worried that they wouldn't get a ticket, this year the demand won't be as great.
    Yea that's what I'm reading on the other board. As a n00bie there, I'll go with that. I also thought that about Coachella though. Win a few .... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  19. #79
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    15,037

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    I am hoping that the lack of tiered pricing also means there won't be such a rush to get them right away. two years ago there was only a problem because so many people were trying to get the cheaper tickets before they sold out. if they had just got rid of the tiered pricing and left everything else the same last year things would have been a lot simpler.

  20. #80
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,489

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    ok so looks like I'm planning for round 2. And spending this weekend out of town with some of the lovely folks that I first burned with almost 6 months ago will probably solidify those plans.
    Now you finally realize why vets never shut up about every year starting now.

  21. #81
    Member AbundantChoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I don't think BM is going to sell out, and even if it does getting a face value ticket will never be a problem. It'll be different this year because they aren't using a dumb ticket distribution system and they've already distributed 10k tickets to 'core' groups (which they did at the end of the process last year)... last year it sold out because people were genuinely worried that they wouldn't get a ticket, this year the demand won't be as great.
    Yup. And even with the ticket fiasco last year, it was *trivial* to find face-value-to-below-face Burning Man tickets in SF and LA in the week leading up to the event.

    Now i've got my choice to make; do I stick with the LA-based camp i've been going with previously, even though i'm based out of Boston, Or do I switch to a Boston camp, especially since i'm shipping my stuff out there on the Burning Truck (basically 4 shipping containers that mosey out from Boston to the playa)? I also might work on the New England CORE project. Decisions, decisions.

  22. #82
    old school tmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,727

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    ticket purchased for my first time on the playa.

  23. #83

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    i'm still in line

  24. #84
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,042

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    i'm still in line
    Yea I got kicked out sort of once but the connection didn't totally time out....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  25. #85
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Duluth Minnesota
    Posts
    8,628

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Think they'll sel out today?
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

  26. #86
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,489

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    probably. But just like last year everyone's buying extras. They'll turn up eventually.

  27. #87

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013



    burners....

  28. #88
    Member seanxpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post


    burners....
    I feel your pain, happened to me about 45 mins ago. All my friends are having the same issues and a lot of them are giving up. I'm pretty close to doing the same, given that these things always work themselves out in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i'm interested in the new ass-to-mouth area over by the general store

  29. #89
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,042

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    Woot, I scored the two I wanted. Now only the Roo to go and summer is set IDK, maybe Coachella's disclaimer says the same but it's funny, for BMan the waver includes the chance of death ......cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  30. #90
    Member pinkandbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    inland empire
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Burning Man 2013

    canexplain.... how long did you wait in line till you were able to purchase your tickets?

Similar Threads

  1. Oh the Places You'll Go ft. Burning Man
    By Desaparecidos in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
  2. Burning Man
    By Dave_2006 in forum Questions
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 10:01 AM
  3. Who's going to Burning Man?
    By algunz in forum Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 02:29 PM
  4. Help Burning CD's Please
    By canexplain in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
  5. Burning Man
    By PharmRocker in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •