Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2013

Default Re: Burning Man 2013

Definitely going to bring some extra batteries.

And that description just makes me want to go even more. Pretty damn epic indeed

Well look at that

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/12/n...-holiday-sale/

Here’s the deal: we don’t know yet what Black Rock City’s allowable peak population for 2013 will be. Some of the details of agreements that impact that number have not yet been finalized, which means we don’t have enough data to determine precisely how many tickets will be sold and at what price. We are working hard to get our permits and agreements in place, and will be announcing the full ticket plan on Friday January 4, 2013. That said…

We know you’re super curious about some big questions, and we’d like to put your mind at ease about a few things right now: tickets will be sold first-come first-served — that’s right, no lottery. Secondly, purchasing tickets will require pre-registration so that we can weed out known scalpers beforehand. We’ll offer a robust Low Income Ticket Program, as we have in the past, and we’re bringing back the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) to facilitate the safe, hassle-free exchange of tickets between people in the aftermarket.

So there are the big ones for you. We’ll have the rest — all the details — on January 4th. And with that, here’s information about the Holiday Sale …

Burning Man Tickets Holiday Sale
    Early-birds can participate in our Holiday Sale, which allows folks to buy tickets in time for holiday gifting. PLEASE NOTE: Holiday Sale tickets are priced dramatically higher than our regular tickets will be and Black Rock City, LLC will donate 3% of the price of each ticket from this early Holiday Sale to the Burning Man Project, a new nonprofit dedicated to spreading Burning Man culture around the world. (In addition, Black Rock City, LLC makes other substantial contributions throughout the year to support the Burning Man Project, including contributing the proceeds from fundraising events and many other forms of support.)

So … here are the details for the Holiday Sale:

3000 tickets will be offered at $650 each for the Holiday Sale.
    In order to participate in this sale, you must pre-register.
    Registration is open NOW and will close at noon PST on Wednesday December 19th.
    Those pre-registered will be able to participate in the first-come first-served sale on Thursday December 20th, starting at noon PST.
    You may purchase a maximum of 4 tickets per person.
    These tickets are not eligible for STEP, but are transferable (you may resell them on your own, if you wish).
    The only payment types accepted are Mastercard or Visa credit cards, or debit cards with either the Visa or Mastercard symbols. If you don’t have one of these cards, you will need to obtain a one-time use card.
    Physical tickets will be shipped between June 1 and July 15, unless you opt for pick-up at Will Call in Black Rock City.

(We will not be implementing identity-based ticketing (e.g. name-on-ticket) … for more information, see this blog post from Larry Harvey.)

As always, you can find find full ticket information on http://tickets.burningman.com, and answers to your questions in our Ticketing FAQ and spiffy new online ticketing forum.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

The only way that makes sense at this point

$650 for the new highest tier. ...
    Black Rock City, LLC will donate 3% of the price of each ticket from this early Holiday Sale to the Burning Man Project, a new nonprofit dedicated to spreading Burning Man culture around the world.
    Yes, donate to burning man charity and affect lives around the world.... I hope the sales reflect the lack of enthusiasm for throwing an an extra $250 on the usual highest tier.

"we are still figuring out prices for next year" aka "if we can get 75k to pay 400+, we will win"
    Last edited by Mugwog; 12-15-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    $650 for the new highest tier. ...
    "...dramatically higher than our regular tickets will be..."

I don't understand why they call it a "holiday sale". or why they do it at all, in fact.

I think they're just counting on 3000 super rich burners

Ugh. It has never been more clear that BM's principle of "radical inclusion" is complete lip-service crap.

those prices really dampered my interest in going to this. Spoke to a co-worker about it and it sounded really cool. But for now i'll stick with coachella

$380 for a 7 day event sounds like a bargain to me. having been there.. it is.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

^yup. A lot of people I know paid the highest tier price last year anyway.

I'm really interested in burning man because its sounds very different but I don't fully understand what it is. Do you just create a civilization in the desert for a week? Can someone help explain it to me?
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

There is no way to fully understand, until you go. But, it essentially is people gathering in the desert to create a community based on sharing, radical inclusion, art, music, essentially everything you can possibly imagine. The organization that throws it provides the man pavilion, temple, and center camp (ice, coffee, medical, etc.). But everything else is provided by participants, whether it is a sound camp, art camp, food camp, so basically ticket holders create the experience. I can't possibly explain what you will do when you get there, because literally everybody has a completely different experience. But, upon arrival you receive a book (around 200ish page) where registered theme camps can post parties they will have, or workshops, food giveaways, etc. Some people look at that to plan out their day (if they are not helping with their own camp), others just go on a bike ride and go with the flow.

This is probably a terrible description, but it is amazing, and will exceed any expectations you may have.

PS Make sure you go for the whole week! (at least)

Burning Man is a rave

Geez how long does it take for a newbee confirmation? Usually these things are within minutes. Like my debit card: Within 30 seconds I think I get an email alert. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

what exactly are you thinking you're getting a confirmation for? Did you just buy a ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiebrock View Post
    those prices really dampered my interest in going to this. Spoke to a co-worker about it and it sounded really cool. But for now i'll stick with coachella
    That's the same full price ticket as last year.

The bullshit tier system is thankfully dead. Now their servers may actually survive the first day of sales. Anyone who would go at $240 but not at $380 shouldn't go at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    what exactly are you thinking you're getting a confirmation for? Did you just buy a ticket?
    For the board there. I am thinking of going so I wanted to get the vibe of the board.....cr****

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

The bullshit tier system is thankfully dead. Now their servers may actually survive the first day of sales. Anyone who would go at $240 but not at $380 shouldn't go at all.
    hm that's a good point. it was never difficult to buy a ticket if you were willing to pay full price.

but the servers will probably still crash anyway.

fair enough.

Humm I am looking for a couple of cruiser bikes to take. There are lots of them out there but then I have to rent a trailer or something to haul them.....fuck......cr****

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Humm I am looking for a couple of cruiser bikes to take. There are lots of them out there but then I have to rent a trailer or something to haul them.....fuck......cr****
    Bike Rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Egull View Post
    Bike Rack?
    I wanted to get my gal a trike for later at the Roo and such but a bike rack for a single and a trike is about $???? big bucks. I may just buy her a single and do the bike rack thing. Geez Equll, I have been reading the board over there and hitting the links and I bet I have spent 10 hours reading stuff. Hard to catch up on ePlaya in a day or so. I am more excited for this than Coachella maybe. Hey Gunz, didn't you say you went one year? Not your thing or just other things to do thus didn't go back? cr****

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

These aren't expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I wanted to get my gal a trike for later at the Roo and such but a bike rack for a single and a trike is about $???? big bucks. I may just buy her a single and do the bike rack thing. Geez Equll, I have been reading the board over there and hitting the links and I bet I have spent 10 hours reading stuff. Hard to catch up on ePlaya in a day or so. I am more excited for this than Coachella maybe. Hey Gunz, didn't you say you went one year? Not your thing or just other things to do thus didn't go back? cr****
    I haven't really checked out the board over there. If you have questions about anything, I am sure people on here can help you out, but if just browsing to browse, I'm sure they are a lot more informative over there.

Just get a tube of bungee cords at Home Depot and secure them to your roof.

Yea they seem like an ok bunch. More like the Coachella board then the Roo board. Sarcasm and fuck you and all those innocent internet stuff...... I am glad it happens when it does though because now I am trying to figure if I can get from Sasquatch to Waka in two days....hummmm.....cr****

Hey Gunz, didn't you say you went one year? Not your thing or just other things to do thus didn't go back? cr****
    Yes, I went in '96 (the year before they moved it to private land for a year). I would expect it's a very different place than what I recall. But at the moment my best explanation would be it was like an adventure down the rabbit hole, but outside of the random encounters with dodo birds and desert queens you still have to be fully responsible for your own survival and the well being of others. It was exhaustingly awesome. I just don't got that kind of commitment in me anymore.

96!!!! You were just a teenager then . Yea I know the commitment thingy. I always worry about my SO because I think I can handle anything, but I have been saved many a time. It's always been about being too trashed though because when it comes to being prepared, I tend to over do it. BM look to be quite a challenge though. It will be good for me though me thinks. I'll make my last post here before I go this summer just in case lolz cr****