Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Riot Fest Chicago 2013 On sale NOW!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Riot Fest Chicago 2013 On sale NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Descendants could do 2 albums in their festival slot.
    They usually get an hour. I am sure they will do a lot more than just that record. They play so much of it during their normal sets anyway.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    We are thinking about flying in Wednesday and leaving Tuesday. Gonna look at tickets tonight. Would love to hang! I am excited about Mid Western beer I can't get here.
    We have to hit up Kumas, the Metal burger place
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

old school

Goddamnit it the day I sleep in is the day I miss out on early bird. This is gonna sell out quick.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Tix purchased. I've been so far down the rabbit hole of house and techno the last few years. This fest is going to be an artistic cleanse for me.

I assume the after party situation is similar to Lolla? Lots of little shows spread out around town?

Is VIP worth the extra hundred bucks?
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

There was discussion about it on the previous page.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Descendents playing Milo Goes To College, Weezer playing Blue, and NOFX playing Punk In Drublic, fuuuuuuck. Ugh. I'm still torn between flying out for this or for FFF.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

old school

This is going to be the fest of the year in the States. If I could swing ATP Iceland I would do that but this is right up there. How is parking at this event? Is it like Pitchfork where you park in the surrounding neighborhood or do they have designated parking lots? Do many people bike to and from the park? I keep reading that its in a questionable neighborhood for safety at night.

If I hadn't already used up all my vacation days for this year, and if it wasn't in Chicago....

I just had to look at the lineup and see what I'll be missing!

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    This is going to be the fest of the year in the States. If I could swing ATP Iceland I would do that but this is right up there. How is parking at this event? Is it like Pitchfork where you park in the surrounding neighborhood or do they have designated parking lots? Do many people bike to and from the park? I keep reading that its in a questionable neighborhood for safety at night.
    Parking is absolutely dreadful. Worst parking of any fest I've ever been to. There are ZERO paid lots within 2 miles of the park. There are ZERO el stations within more than a mile of the park. Public transport (bus) options are few and shitty. You will either have to rely on city street parking or you will be walking a considerable distance if you decide not to drive. If you arrive early in the day (say...before 1PM), parking within a mile is OK, but as the fest fill throughout the day you will be screwed. If you arrive after 4PM, you'll be paying someone to park in their driveway (and hoping that the person selling you the spot actually owns the house). I know this reads like doom/gloom, but I have driven the last couple of years and managed to find spots, but I'm always there before 2PM. It can be done, but generally speaking, it sucks.

Also...not to add more scare to things, if you're going to park, stay North, East, or South of the festival grounds. You don't want to be walking West of the grounds at midnight back to where your car may (or may not) be located.

Oh, I am glad to read this information. My girlfriend and I started looking at AirBnB options last night. So, we should not stay near the festival then?
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Oh, I am glad to read this information. My girlfriend and I started looking at AirBnB options last night. So, we should not stay near the festival then?
    If you stay downtown, be aware it will be impossible to catch a cab near the festival grounds at that time of night. They just don't run cabs out there. If you call them, they'll say that maybe they'll come, but they won't. When I went last year, the GF and I had to walk about 1.5-2 miles east or north of the fest to a better neighborhood to catch a cab every night. If I were to do it again, I would probably either rent a car or stay somewhere relatively close. There aren't a lot of lodging options nearby, most that are had bad reviews, but I did see one or two east of the fest about 1.5 - 2 miles that didn't seem too bad.

I can't comment on the lodging situation other than to echo GBVF's note that there really aren't any hotels in that part of town. As for AirBnB, you might be able to find a residence that is close enough for you to comfortably get to/from the fest and stay in a safe environment. If you do that, though, your other options (restaurants, going out to clubs after the fest, etc...) are limited. You can't just "pop downtown" to go to Alinea or TGIFriday's for dinner for the same reason that you can't easily stay downtown and get to/from the fest.

One option that many people utilize is to drive (or stay) "close" and then bike the last couple of miles (if I were arriving after 4PM, I would park 3 miles East of the fest and bike the rest of the way). If you stay in a reasonable hotel or an AirBnB that is in a neighborhood that presents you with more non-fest options, you might consider securing a bike to get to/from the fest. (Note: NOT Divvy). There is a huge spot to lock bikes (safe) right across the street from the fest.
    Last edited by TooOldForThis; 05-16-2014 at 08:32 AM.

the parking situation will be nuts. Can't imagine driving there. Cabs will be the easiest way to get there, but leaving...I have no idea. I'd say busing to a CTA line stop. but even that will be a cluster fuck if you leave with everyone else.

The park itself is great though. Its really big with plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by GBVFan View Post
    If you stay downtown, be aware it will be impossible to catch a cab near the festival grounds at that time of night. They just don't run cabs out there. If you call them, they'll say that maybe they'll come, but they won't. When I went last year, the GF and I had to walk about 1.5-2 miles east or north of the fest to a better neighborhood to catch a cab every night. If I were to do it again, I would probably either rent a car or stay somewhere relatively close. There aren't a lot of lodging options nearby, most that are had bad reviews, but I did see one or two east of the fest about 1.5 - 2 miles that didn't seem too bad.
    haha, wow...so it looks like walking is what everyone will be doing. It sucks the organizers don't work with the city to provide extra buses. Maybe they will this year??

I wouldn't recommend staying near the festival, unless you know the area really well.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
    the parking situation will be nuts. Can't imagine driving there. Cabs will be the easiest way to get there, but leaving...I have no idea. I'd say busing to a CTA line stop. but even that will be a cluster fuck if you leave with everyone else.
    I believe that what most people dependent upon public transport do is walk to/from the subway/el stop. It is about 2k from the Division el (on the Blue Line) to park entry.

old school

I would recommend staying in wicker park or Ukrainian village if coming in from out of town for this
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Great, thanks for all the tips! I am going to be spending a couple days on either side of the festival, so I'd like to stay somewhere that is close to cool stuff. I don't mind walking a mile or two too and form the festival.
    last.fm

old school

nvrmind saw that it is bike friendly
    Last edited by shoegazer76; 05-16-2014 at 11:21 AM.

I will be at the Denver Riot Fest. Chicago's lineup is awesome, yeah, but Denver is less spendy which is important to me this year. And I'll still get The Cure, which is the important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    We have to hit up Kumas, the Metal burger place
    I am so pissed this place was closed while I was in Chicago last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I am so pissed this place was closed while I was in Chicago last year.
    I recommend hitting up Kuma II for anything trying hit the burger place up while in Chicago. They just opened it with in the past couple years. I'm sure the orignal will be slammed all weekend.

old school

for a burger - au cheval > lockdown bar and grill > kuma's corner
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Bad Apple is my favorite burger spot in Chicago.

au cheval is super good. but Kuma'a a lot has more burgers on the menu, if I'm not mistaken...

I go for the whiskey taps and blaring death metal
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

So Cure on Friday?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by GBVFan View Post
    I will be at the Denver Riot Fest. Chicago's lineup is awesome, yeah, but Denver is less spendy which is important to me this year. And I'll still get The Cure, which is the important thing.
    What is the size of this bad boy in Chicago? Seems like a lot of hassle for a festival. Line-up looks great, but it seems all the hassle around it could easy buzzkill the weekend. Made In Amercia--despite the cheesiness of the fest (promotion wise), is very easy to navigate and is worth the price, but just curious about this fest in general.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    So Cure on Friday?
    Speaking of, I wonder if the set will include a lot from The Top, The Head On The Door and Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me since they did announce plans to do a trilogy tour. Saw the last one at the Beacon and what can I say--it was fucking great.

Apparently Primus did the same thing the Orwells did and posted a Denver poster a few days ago with some more names on the bill. Slint, Bad Suns, and Modern Baseball are the added names.