Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Riot Fest Chicago 2013 On sale NOW!

Default Re: Riot Fest Chicago 2013 On sale NOW!

Hey everyone, I'm hoping there are some Chicagoans present that can offer me some advice. A friend and I will be staying at one of the hotels near O'Hare and driving a rental car into town for the fest. Parking is our only worry at the moment. I read on the previous page that there aren't any garages within two miles of the park, which is fine. We're not opposed to taking a cab or just walking, but since street parking doesn't seem to be much of an option, I'm curious if there are any garages relatively close to the park that are open late. I'm concerned that by the time the fest lets out, we won't be able to make it back to the car. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for a course of action.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

you should check into the public transit route, because all of that sounds like a huge bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that the rental car may not be worthwhile, as I imagine driving from O'Hare into town would take about as much time as the train, if not more, depending on traffic. We're only staying so far out because the lodging near the airport was the best that we could afford. I've been to Chicago a few times before, but it's been a while. The blue line is the one that runs out to O'Hare 24/7, correct?

yeah, you'll be able to get back whenever you feel like it. i could be wrong but i believe you'd get off the blue line at western and take the bus to humboldt park. i'd suggest leaving early, just because that bus line can be a clusterfuck after the fest starts. shit to do in that area may be scarce though.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Eh, it's okay. We'll be arriving two days before the fest, so we'll have time to explore the city. Thank you so much, heart cooks brain. I wasn't very keen on the rental car idea from the get-go. Apparently, though, we'll need to take the blue line to either Division or California, and then take the California bus south or the Division bus west.

my bad. yeah, it's the division bus that is a clusterfuck by 1 or 2pm on fest days.

Sunday I'm in Love!

Friday:
    Jane's Addiction, Rise Against, Slayer, The Offspring, Pussy Riot (Nadya Tolokonnikova & Masha Alekhina), NOFX, Gogol Bordello, Of Mice & Men, Mastodon, The Murder City Devils, Failure, Circa Survive, Clutch, GWAR, Stiff Little Fingers, Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, We Came as Romans, Senses Fail, All, Title Fight, Emarosa, Pity Sex, From Indian Lakes, The Hotelier, Radkey, Pianos Become The Teeth, Red City Radio, Baby Baby, Wounds, Plague Vendor, Somos

Saturday:
    The National, The Flaming Lips, Wu-Tang Clan, Samhain, Descendents, Metric, Taking Back Sunday, Die Antwoord, City and Colour, Paul Weller, The Used, The Afghan Whigs, Cock Sparrer, Dashboard Confessional, Saosin w/ Anthony Green, Say Anything, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Tokyo Police Club, The Dandy Warhols, The Get Up Kids, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Streetlight Manifesto, Buzzcocks, Face To Face, Marky Ramone w/ Guests, Wavves, The Orwells, RX Bandits, Samiam, 7 Seconds, Anti-Flag, Frnkiero And The Cellabration, Citizen, The World Is A Beautiful Place..., Lemuria, The Pizza Underground, Nostalghia, Skaters, The Unlikely Candidates, Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas, The Bots, Broncho, The American Scene, Restorations, The Picturebooks, Rose's Pawn Shop, The Crombies, Ex Friends

Sunday:
    The Cure, Weezer, Social Distortion, Primus, Tegan and Sara, Cheap Trick, Patti Smith, Bring Me The Horizon, Dropkick Murphys, Naked Raygun, Superchunk, Billy Bragg, The Hold Steady, Blue Meanies, Lucero, New Found Glory, Mudhoney, Hot Snakes, Thurston Moore, Motion City Soundtrack, Andrew W.K., Bouncing Souls, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Mineral, La Dispute, Only Crime, The Menzingers, The Front Bottoms, Silverstein, The Whigs, In The Valley Below, Modern Baseball, I Am the Avalanche, Laura Stevenson, Cerebral Ballzy, PUP, Dads, Show You Suck, Lucki Eck$, My Gold Mask, Tiny Moving Parts, Team Spirit, Survay Says!, Chumped, Archie Powell & The Exports

9/23 Panda Bear @ Irving Plaza
    9/25 Thurston Moore @ PS1
    9/25 Lindstrom @ Output
    9/26 Richie Hawtin @ Tao
    9/27 The Roots/No Doubt @ Great Lawn
    9/27 Marcel Dettmann/Silent Servant @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Mulling over whether or not to buy a one-day pass for Sunday as it's got all the acts I'd want to see (The Cure, Patti Smith, Cheap Trick, Hot Snakes, Mudhoney).
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

There are so many bands I want to see on all 3 days, it's completely nuts! The conflicts are going to be brutal.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by GooGooMuck View Post
    Yeah, I'm beginning to think that the rental car may not be worthwhile, as I imagine driving from O'Hare into town would take about as much time as the train, if not more, depending on traffic. We're only staying so far out because the lodging near the airport was the best that we could afford. I've been to Chicago a few times before, but it's been a while. The blue line is the one that runs out to O'Hare 24/7, correct?
    I see in your later post that you may be dismissing the idea of a rental anyway, but as someone that has to drive to this festival, I strongly recommend against it if you can avoid it. There are no commercial parking lots (none...although there is a hospital about a mile East of the fest, I don't think their garage is open to the public) and street parking is extremely limited (as you've noted). If you arrive by 1PM or so each day...you'll find a spot, anything much later than that and you can forget it. If they expand the grounds North across Division into the park, even those 1PM spots are going to disappear. Unless they keep the fest completely South of Division, I'm making plans to park a couple of miles away and biking the remainder. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    There are so many bands I want to see on all 3 days, it's completely nuts! The conflicts are going to be brutal.
    So much goodness here.

Just booked (refundable) RT flights on Southwest to try to get to most of this.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Mulling over whether or not to buy a one-day pass for Sunday as it's got all the acts I'd want to see (The Cure, Patti Smith, Cheap Trick, Hot Snakes, Mudhoney).
    I'm going Sunday.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    So much goodness here.

Just booked (refundable) RT flights on Southwest to try to get to most of this.
    Dude! I hope you make it out!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Going Saturday and Sunday for this and I don't know any of the bands early on Sunday. Saturday I see enough bands to keep me busy all day and since I'd like to be down there Sunday all day as well, does anyone have any recommendations? Basically I have never listened too any band south of The Whigs billing on that day.

Chicago: Tomorrow at noon, we will be announcing the Official Riot Fest Afterparties. Tickets will be on-sale at the same time.

9/25 Lindstrom @ Output
    9/26 Richie Hawtin @ Tao

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Danny Carey is going to be drumming with Primus at both Riot Fest shows and the Chicago after show. I'm incredibly jealous.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

There are some good shows, but for being after shows for a festival, a bit too expensive for me right now. I had too Bad Religion tickets in my carts and it was going to cost almost $80. I will probably just go out to bars after the festival.

last.fm

TGUK @ Bottom Lounge?!

Thurston Moore and Mudhoney!!!

9/25 Lindstrom @ Output
    9/26 Richie Hawtin @ Tao

Television not only is playing an aftershow, but has now been added to the lineup on Saturday of the Chicago festival!
    last.fm

Picked up tickets for The Hold Steady and Television

Television tickets sold out fast. Fuck.

I'm going to the Television aftershow.

(CHICAGO) NEW SITE REVEALED FOR 10TH ANNIVERSARY – MORE STAGES, MORE RIDES, MORE ATTRACTIONS

http://riotfest.org/2014/08/chicago-...s-attractions/

9/25 Lindstrom @ Output
    9/26 Richie Hawtin @ Tao

Much bigger space, same number of tickets sold = Higher expectations.

That map looks incredibly overwhelming
    last.fm

7 stages of nothing but music is pretty nuts. I am not going to Chicago but I am really curious to see the schedule to see how brutal the conflicts would have been if I had gone.

EDIT:
    In Denver news, Baby Baby confirmed via Reddit that they are playing both Chicago and Denver.

Also, Riot Mike teased on Facebook that there are more Denver bands to be announced.
    Last edited by GBVFan; 08-22-2014 at 08:41 AM.

7 stages or mostly shitty bands.

I'm still going since the headliners are obviously good. Buts its all subjective. I'm sure plenty of people like the lower levels bands because they aren't popular...pfttt

Denver Adds announced

12 new bands added:
    We are very happy to welcome 12 new bands to this year’s Riot Fest & Sideshow to take place this September 19-21 at Mile High in Denver. Strung Out, Frnkiero and the Cellabration, Baby Baby, The Picturebooks, All Out Helter, and Wiredogs will be joining the bill for Saturday 9/20, and Brick + Mortar, Only Crime, Touché Amoré, The Epilogues, The Dendrites, and In The Whale will take to their stages on Sunday 9/21.

We've added two new Thursday options for you to kick off your Riot Fest weekend! We've also moved Television from Cobra Lounge to Bottom Lounge for its larger capacity.

The Murder City Devils
    Thursday Sep 11, 2014
    Doors: 7:00 PM
    Show: 8:00 PM
    21 and over
    $20
    http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/671033

Television
    Sunday Sep 14, 2014
    Doors: 10:00 PM
    17 and over
    $24.98 - $30
    http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/669537

9/25 Lindstrom @ Output
    9/26 Richie Hawtin @ Tao