Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Riot Fest Chicago 2013 On sale NOW!

Default Re: Riot Fest Chicago 2013 On sale NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    WOW what a lineup. The people who are able to book all these bands must have some deep pockets. A lot of surprises
    Theres only a small portion that is costing them whatever amount of money you think theyre supposed to command. So Weezer is getting 6 figures for this?

Lollapalooza can just fuck off already.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

cure friday, jane's saturday, the national sunday.

friday and saturday curfews are 11, as opposted to 10 at other chicago festivals which means the cure can easily get 2.5 hours in.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I think they'll close out the fest with Jane's. Rumor has it Jane's is going to play Nothing Shocking in full. It's Riot Fest, they aren't gonna close their fest with The National. I'd imagine a majority of the crowd are pissed about The National actually.
    Last edited by shotglass75; 05-15-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

stephen perkins posted on twitter that they are playing the 13th, his birthday.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Can anyone that's been to the Chicago one comment on the VIP? We don't drink alcohol so the drink tickets are meaningless to us - we just care about the viewing areas. Are they terrible like FFF or decent? My friend that went to Riot Fest Denver last year said that VIP viewing was 20% of side stage going up to the front which would definitely make it worth it to us if Chicago is the same.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5-14 - Kvelertak @ St Vitus
    5-16 - Elbow & John Grant @ Webster Hall
    5-23 - Sheer Terror @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    stephen perkins posted on twitter that they are playing the 13th, his birthday.
    Shit. Well there ya go.

the orwells posted an image on facebook with the ??? removed an in their stead, motorhead, slint, sleepwave, and sleeping with sirens. maybe something else.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Lollapalooza can just fuck off already.
    For music geeks, is Lolla the 3rd or 4th best music lineup in Chicago this year?

Crunch the numbers, BEE!!!

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Kinda strange thatPerry isn't playing his own festival.

Nice.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-fest-20140515

Weezer, Slayer, Jane’s Addiction to Perform Full Albums at Riot Fest10 groups playing full-lengths at Chicago edition, including the Offspring, NOFX and Glenn Danzig's group Samhain

Weezer, Slayer, Jane's Addiction and several other groups will be playing albums from their respective catalogs in full at the Chicago edition of Riot Fest this summer, with one more unannounced band set to round out the festival's "10 Years. 10 Essential Albums" program. The fest's headliners this year include the Cure, Wu-Tang Clan, the National and the Flaming Lips.

Summer 2014's 40 Must-See Music Festivals: Riot Fest

The albums that their respective bands will be revisiting in Chicago this year include: Weezer's Weezer (Blue Album), Slayer's Reign in Blood, Jane's Addiction's Nothing's Shocking, the Glenn Danzig–fronted group Samhain's Initium, the Offspring's Smash, NOFX's Punk in Drublic, the Descendents' Milo Goes to College, Naked Raygun's Throb Throb and the Get Up Kids' Something to Write Home About. Weezer, Slayer and NOFX will also perform their albums front to back at the Denver offshoot.

The Offspring's 'Smash': The Little Punk LP That Defeated the Majors

While nine bands have been announced as part of the series, organizers have hinted that one more major announcement is on the way. "During last year’s Violent Femmes’ set at Riot, where they performed Violent Femmes unannounced in its entirety, it dawned on me that if we ever did an album play thing at Riot, we should make it something that the fans would remember years from now," said Riot Fest partner Michael Petryshyn. "I was walking back to my trailer after their set and it hit me… '10 Years. 10 Essential Albums' and it grew from there."

Now in its 10th year, Riot Fest will once again take place in three cities at different times this year, each with a unique circus-style theme (last year's Chicago date included Lucha Libre wrestling and a Ferris wheel). Toronto's Riot Fest & Expo will take place on September 6th and 7th at Downsview Park, Chicago's Riot Fest & Carnival will happen between September 12th and 14th in Humboldt Park and Denver's Riot Fest & Sideshow is slated for September 19th – 21st at May Farms.

The Chicago edition of the festival will be the first time Gwar perform since the death of frontman Dave Brockie, who portrayed the character Oderus Urungus. Pussy Riot's two freed members, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina, will also take part in an interactive panel with other Russian artists and once-imprisoned activists.

Tickets are available for all three festivals at Ticketfly.

Fuck, I really need to go to this especially with Slint being a possible addition. Still holding out to see what FYF and FFF have in store though.

Wow. Those full album sets perked my eyes up. Shame that Pinkerton isn't one of them.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Nice.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-fest-20140515

Weezer, Slayer, Jane’s Addiction to Perform Full Albums at Riot Fest10 groups playing full-lengths at Chicago edition, including the Offspring, NOFX and Glenn Danzig's group Samhain

Weezer, Slayer, Jane's Addiction and several other groups will be playing albums from their respective catalogs in full at the Chicago edition of Riot Fest this summer, with one more unannounced band set to round out the festival's "10 Years. 10 Essential Albums" program. The fest's headliners this year include the Cure, Wu-Tang Clan, the National and the Flaming Lips.

Summer 2014's 40 Must-See Music Festivals: Riot Fest

The albums that their respective bands will be revisiting in Chicago this year include: Weezer's Weezer (Blue Album), Slayer's Reign in Blood, Jane's Addiction's Nothing's Shocking, the Glenn Danzig–fronted group Samhain's Initium, the Offspring's Smash, NOFX's Punk in Drublic, the Descendents' Milo Goes to College, Naked Raygun's Throb Throb and the Get Up Kids' Something to Write Home About. Weezer, Slayer and NOFX will also perform their albums front to back at the Denver offshoot.

The Offspring's 'Smash': The Little Punk LP That Defeated the Majors

While nine bands have been announced as part of the series, organizers have hinted that one more major announcement is on the way. "During last year’s Violent Femmes’ set at Riot, where they performed Violent Femmes unannounced in its entirety, it dawned on me that if we ever did an album play thing at Riot, we should make it something that the fans would remember years from now," said Riot Fest partner Michael Petryshyn. "I was walking back to my trailer after their set and it hit me… '10 Years. 10 Essential Albums' and it grew from there."

Now in its 10th year, Riot Fest will once again take place in three cities at different times this year, each with a unique circus-style theme (last year's Chicago date included Lucha Libre wrestling and a Ferris wheel). Toronto's Riot Fest & Expo will take place on September 6th and 7th at Downsview Park, Chicago's Riot Fest & Carnival will happen between September 12th and 14th in Humboldt Park and Denver's Riot Fest & Sideshow is slated for September 19th – 21st at May Farms.

The Chicago edition of the festival will be the first time Gwar perform since the death of frontman Dave Brockie, who portrayed the character Oderus Urungus. Pussy Riot's two freed members, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina, will also take part in an interactive panel with other Russian artists and once-imprisoned activists.

Tickets are available for all three festivals at Ticketfly.
    the unannounced album in full act appears to be the flaming lips (16 ?s)

Shit. Now I'm dreaming of Weezer playing Pinkerton at FYF. No, no. Just shake it off, brain.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

the unannounced album in full act appears to be the flaming lips (16 ?s)

you are incorrect.

Also, great read - http://chicagoist.com/2014/05/14/int..._petryshyn.php

Riot Fest's Mike Petryshyn Talks The History Of the Fest And This Year's Line-up

you are incorrect.
    so it's the reaplacements doing let it be then?

so it's the reaplacements doing let it be then?
    you are incorrect.

groovy. out of guesses.

the only card I need is...

the only card I need is...
    Bullshit! That would be too fucking cool
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I just purchased tickets to Chicago before even seeing that article. That is awesome! I am knocking off a lot of tours in one go with this fest. This is also my first trip to Chicago! Heather and I are gonna do a whole week and make a real vacation out of it. Excited!
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by assorted View Post
    Can anyone that's been to the Chicago one comment on the VIP? We don't drink alcohol so the drink tickets are meaningless to us - we just care about the viewing areas. Are they terrible like FFF or decent? My friend that went to Riot Fest Denver last year said that VIP viewing was 20% of side stage going up to the front which would definitely make it worth it to us if Chicago is the same.
    I'm in the same boat you are (non-drinking). We bought VIP last year, sold the drink tickets to random people that were drinking for $1 less than the beer cost, and were perfectly happy. You could use the tickets on soda/water, but that's pretty silly since those cost $1-$2.

The VIP sections differed due to the vagaries of the park. The main stage (Blink, Replacements, FOB) VIP is no better than "OK" because even if you are at the closest point to the stage, you are still way on the side (positions that you can usually get to anyway if you're OK with being wide instead of central). The upside for the main stage VIP is that it was VERY roomy. We were never crowded for any set, and happily leaned against the fences from a sharp angle. The second stage is weirdly aligned. It curved from the access point around to the sound board, so it provides you with a more central view, but you aren't anywhere near the rail. This access was always the most crowded of the weekend (Pixies), and could be uncomfortable at times. The third stage has VIP that is very tight (maybe 10 yards wide?) but runs for probably 150 yards of depth. There are also tables here (which you can sit at or stand atop). Again, wide positioning, even if you go right to the closest spot. Really comfortable here as well (Suicidal, GWAR). Fourth stage had the best VIP section (worked well for Joan Jett, Hatebreed, and Public Enemy for us), but the shows here are likely to be middling at best. Also, this spot is tough to actually get to because you have to wade through the GA crowd to get in the door. We learned quickly that we had to get to the VIP here 5 minutes before any set we wanted to see. This is the smallest VIP section and they did shut it down when it got full. The fifth stage didn't have VIP.

So...is it worth it? We're doing it again, FWIW. I want to be comfortable, and my wife wants to be able to take photos from close. I don't mind being wide as long as I can be close.

If you want true front row, easy access (to more than half of the stage) from VIP....Voodoo fest is the one for you.

by far the best festival of the year in terms of lineups and things happening!
    I went last year to this festival and it was an absolute blast,
    i highly recommend it to you guys who haven't been there yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I just purchased tickets to Chicago before even seeing that article. That is awesome! I am knocking off a lot of tours in one go with this fest. This is also my first trip to Chicago! Heather and I are gonna do a whole week and make a real vacation out of it. Excited!
    I could come down early and show y'all around. I might come down Wednesday anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

old school

Descendants could do 2 albums in their festival slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    You will have a great time. Chicago is an awesome city.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I could come down early and show y'all around. I might come down Wednesday anyway
    We are thinking about flying in Wednesday and leaving Tuesday. Gonna look at tickets tonight. Would love to hang! I am excited about Mid Western beer I can't get here.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo