Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWS OF THE YEAR?!?! Stem Cell breakthrough!

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default NEWS OF THE YEAR?!?! Stem Cell breakthrough!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070402...hheartstemcell

This is amazing!! Can you imagine the possibilities?

replacement tissue could be used in transplants for heart disease patients within three years
    Last edited by faxman75; 04-02-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Default Re: NEWS OF THE YEAR?!?! Stem Cell breakthrough!

Wow.

But this

I can't understand how such a pro life president coudl be against stem cell research.
    makes no sense.

Still though. Wow.

What's not understadable? The president who is very pro life is very much against additional stem cells being studied and researched. He wanted it to be limited to the alotment of stemcells available and thus kept our scientitsts from having more potential for cures.

I think he fears the development of 'tissue farms'.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The pro-life thing often goes hand in hand with the anti-stemcell thing. I just meant that I didn't find it mind boggling. An awful lot of people have stronger convictions about "saving" people in utero than they do about the welfare of...born people.

Tissue farms would make for great eating.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Youre breaking my balls...

Pro-life usually means "Pro potential life".

I think I'm offending the woman who is reading over my shoulder.

and the same people up in the administration that are pro-life are also for the death penalty...an embryo can very well grow up to be a terrible criminal.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    The pro-life thing often goes hand in hand with the anti-stemcell thing. I just meant that I didn't find it mind boggling. An awful lot of people have stronger convictions about "saving" people in utero than they do about the welfare of...born people.
    "pro life" doesn't necessarily mean saving anyone's life. Your confusion over pro lifers' desire to "save" the unborn over the living is the fundamental core of the argument. They believe life starts at conception, so there is no difference between the unborn and the living except that the unborn do not have a voice and cannot defend themselves. pro life does not mean "Pro potential life".

I'm pro-choice btw, I just understand what they're getting at.

and btw the last big stem-cell breakthrough announcement turned out to be a hoax.

Actually I stand corrected. Upon further research this breakthrough came from Adult Stem Cell research which the president is 100% in favor of and always has been.

The president is against embryonic stem cell research.

Wow!! Thatís just cool!
    And as for the discussion after the original post, it is a hard topic for most of us to deal with. I would be willing to bet that most people have trouble grappling with the issue of pro-life vs. pro-choice especially with regards to the stem cell issue. I myself am pro-choice and pro-life, but that is my own paradoxical way of reconciling the want of a child with my underling need for liberty and freedom. It gets tricky when you start to talk about embryonic stem cell research. My thoughts (which are not set in stone or even dust on this issue) are that no matter what we as a country do to outlaw or forbid, other countries will still do. As jokingly as the tissue farm statement may have been made it is not so hard for me to imagine this becoming a reality, and the only way I can think to stop that would be to provide another method for access to the products of the research. If we provide strong ethical and legal guidelines for the use of Stem cells and allow open access to research so that there are no monopolies of technology, I would think it would make it hard for any group to get to the point that a tissue farm would be viable.
    Ok I know this rambles but I have been thinking about this for a while and donít know quite yet how I feel about it all. Ok Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Actually I stand corrected. Upon further research this breakthrough came from Adult Stem Cell research which the president is 100% in favor of and always has been.

The president is against embryonic stem cell research.
    aka the shit on your nose... no... seriously, the primary source of adult stem cells is your nose.

Banned

No one in the Bush administration is "pro-life"

Source: Katrina disaster

E

Just so we're clear here, the debate isn't whether or not the president wants/approves of embryonic stem cell research, it's whether or not he wants Federal funds to pay for it.

You can still have privatized funds pay for research.

I hate it when people make it seem like there's one guy blocking the doorway to the stem cell research labs.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

i was pro life...but when there was a possibility that an ex was pregnant i switched to pro choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

Banned

Let's not be naive.

If that worthless dim-witted son of a bitch could outlaw/ban embryonic stem cell research entirely, he would.

E

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    If that worthless dim-witted son of a bitch could outlaw/ban embryonic stem cell research entirely, he would.
    Don't talk about jack like that.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Quote Originally Posted by fober View Post
    Just so we're clear here, the debate isn't whether or not the president wants/approves of embryonic stem cell research, it's whether or not he wants Federal funds to pay for it.

You can still have privatized funds pay for research.

I hate it when people make it seem like there's one guy blocking the doorway to the stem cell research labs.
    You can get MUCH more funding for this from the government than from private resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    You can get MUCH more funding for this from the government than from private resources.
    You say "for this", but from the article:

Researchers led by Magdi Yacoub, a professor of cardiac surgery at Imperial College London, have grown tissue from stem cells in bone marrow that works in the same way as the valves in human hearts, it said.
    That is non-embryonic folks.

Come on now.

The only thing more ridiculous than some people's points of view is the other side's complete misinterpretation of the issues.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Banned

Who cares? It wasn't even in Amerikkka!!!

We should bomb them into the stone age until they hand over the professor.

It's the American way. *waves flag

E

Bottom line is, every single advancement in stem cell research has occurred with adult or cord blood stem cells.

There hasn't been a single embryonic stem cell discovery that has led to a human trial.

You can use as many embryos as you want, I don't give a shit, but enough with the "OMG HE THINKS WERE KILLING BABIES" nonsense.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

exactly. Bush isn't stopping shit.

People should get their facts straight before talking shit about crap they have no clue about.
    http://www.cirm.ca.gov/

CA is the largest single source of money for embryonic stem cell research in the world, and even schwarzenegger supports it. Gov Spitzer in NY is pushing to get a similar program started in NY and he's close.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    You're an idiot.

Stem Cell Bill Gets Bush's First Veto

By Charles Babington
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, July 20, 2006; Page A04

President Bush issued the first veto of his five-year-old administration yesterday, rejecting Congress's bid to lift funding restrictions on human embryonic stem cell research and underscoring his party's split on an emotional issue in this fall's elections.

At a White House ceremony where he was joined by children produced from what he called "adopted" frozen embryos, Bush said taxpayers should not support research on surplus embryos at fertility clinics, even if they offer possible medical breakthroughs and are slated for disposal.

The vetoed bill "would support the taking of innocent human life in the hope of finding medical benefits for others," the president said, as babies cooed and cried behind him. "It crosses a moral boundary that our decent society needs to respect." Each child on the stage, he said, "began his or her life as a frozen embryo that was created for in vitro fertilization but remained unused after the fertility treatments were complete. . . . These boys and girls are not spare parts."

Within hours of Bush's announcement, the House, as expected, fell short in a bid to override the veto, extinguishing the issue as a legislative matter this year but not as a political matter. Democrats said voters will penalize GOP candidates for the demise of a popular measure, and predicted the issue could trigger the defeat of Bush allies such as Sen. James M. Talent, who faces a tough reelection battle in Missouri.

"Those families who wake up every morning to face another day with a deadly disease or a disability will not forget this decision by the president to stand in the way of sound science and medical research," said Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.).

Some conservatives also criticized the veto. "I am pro-life, but I disagree with the president's decision," said Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (Tenn.), a heart surgeon who is weighing a 2008 presidential run. "Given the potential of this research and the limitations of the existing [human embryonic stem cell] lines eligible for federally funded research, I think additional lines should be made available."

The House and Senate passed the bill by comfortable margins but not with the two-thirds majorities required to override a veto. The House voted 235 to 193 yesterday to override Bush, falling short of the threshold and negating the need for a Senate override attempt.

Bush did sign a bill, unanimously passed this week by the House and Senate, to ban the creation of human fetuses for the sole purpose of harvesting organs. But the House thwarted prompt passage of another bill he had hoped to sign yesterday. It would have promoted efforts to conduct stem cell research without destroying human embryos. Bush called it "an important piece of legislation," but several Democrats called it a political fig leaf intended to distract attention from his veto of the long-debated funding measure for embryonic stem cells.

Bush has threatened vetoes on numerous issues over the years, but he and the Republican-controlled Congress had always worked out their differences. On stem cells, however, the president drew a sharp line during his first nationally televised address, on Aug. 9, 2001, banning government funding for research using human embryonic stem cell colonies created after that date.

Over the next five years, public sentiment increasingly moved away from him as celebrities such as Nancy Reagan and Christopher Reeve touted the potential that embryonic stem cells offer in treating Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, diabetes, spinal cord injuries and other conditions. Unlike "adult" stem cells, embryonic cells can replicate themselves and turn into almost any human tissue.

Officials say that about 400,000 frozen embryos are stored at U.S. fertility clinics. The vast majority await disposal because the couples that produced them have completed their pursuit of children and do not want another person to raise their biological child. Bush praised those who "adopt" such embryos, implant them in a woman's womb and bring them to term.

But others said there will be few such adoptions because most couples seeking a child through in vitro fertilization want a genetic connection to that child. "Even with federal funding available to encourage adoption, the number is 128, which makes it conclusive that these 400,000 embryos will either be used for scientific research or thrown away," Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), a proponent of the bill, said this week.

Bush and his allies say that frozen embryos are tantamount to humans, and therefore are no more appropriate for medical research than are death row inmates. "If this bill were to become law," Bush said yesterday, "American taxpayers would for the first time in our history be compelled to fund the deliberate destruction of human embryos."

Others reject that analysis, saying it would make killers of every couple that produces an unused embryo, and every employee and official who allows fertility clinics to produce and store such embryos.

"If that's murder, how come the president allows that to continue?" asked Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa). "Where is his outrage?" Harkin called the veto "a shameful display of cruelty, hypocrisy and ignorance."

E

Again, all that ^ says is that he stopped FEDERAL FUNDING.

If you're fully in support of it, make some donations.

It'd be equivalent to the government taking money out of your income to do it.

Also, pay attention to the word "potential" in that article.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    yes he is. He is stopping federal funding (haven't we been over this). That's actually a big deal if you pay attention to the spending for medical research. For example, stem cell research at the UW (which is one of the largest programs in the world) WAS funded nearly 50% by the federal government. There were huge cuts to the program at the end of last year as a result of the bill.

There is no denying that there are other sources of funding, blanket statements are useless coming from either side of the spectrum.

Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

this entire discussion is taking place all over the web. Let's just be excited that medical science is making such amazing discoveries and leave the baggage at the door. Even if for only a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    this entire discussion is taking place all over the web. Let's just be excited that medical science is making such amazing discoveries and leave the baggage at the door. Even if for only a moment.
    This paper is a major breakthrough.