Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Things You Think Are Confessions But Are Actually Banal And No One Gives A Fuck

Default Re: Things You Think Are Confessions But Are Actually Banal And No One Gives A Fuck

I also want to be harassed. This co-worker unexpected touched my shoulder and I almost swooned a little. I need a new boyfriend.

Default Re: Things You Think Are Confessions But Are Actually Banal And No One Gives A Fuck

Hey fuckfaces:

You don't want to be harassed. Shut the fuck up. You want to be touched by someone that you've given consent to. Know what happens when you use this kind of language?

Also, there's no "harassable" look. Stop it.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

I am aware there is no harrassable, my computer puts a little red squiggly line under it to tell me that. I just don't give a shit. I am a rule breaker. Roar!

When you hang out with people in person, do you interrupt the conversation to point out when they speak incorrectly, or is it just your internet thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I'm not pointing out that it isn't a word, I'm pointing out that it isn't a thing. There is no definitive "look" that warrants or invites harassment, and to suggest that there is is destructive.

You're right, but I'm horny.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    You're right, but I'm horny.
    That's great, but use language that demonstrates that you own your sexual agency. Don't promote a kind of language that signals that it's harassment is acceptable or okay -- the very definition of it rests upon it being unwanted, invasive advances.

But I personally am the type who likes that kind of behavior. I'm sorry I'm a pathetic, anachronistic freak.

But if you like harassment, it isn't harassment.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Not exactly related, but I read this Salon piece about this weekend's opinion piece from George Will essentially about how rape victims are ruining colleges not two minutes before coming here and seeing this conversation, and it does include points discussed by you here.

George Will's piece is revolting and idiotic, but the Salon article sparks a good conversation on the subject.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/09/geor...ium=socialflow
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

As usual, don't follow any of my advice. Perhaps I should make that my signature.

Jesus fucking Christ Amy. You are a goddamn fucking idiot. "I want to be harassed". Do you have any idea how offensive it is to equate the desire for male attention to harassment? REAL sexual harassment? You're no better than those dumb cunts that were tweeting "I'd let Chris Brown punch me any day."
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Not exactly related, but I read this Salon piece about this weekend's opinion piece from George Will essentially about how rape victims are ruining colleges not two minutes before coming here and seeing this conversation, and it does include points discussed by you here.

George Will's piece is revolting and idiotic, but the Salon article sparks a good conversation on the subject.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/09/geor...ium=socialflow
    “I Am Mad That We Are Now Talking About Sexual Assault And Sexual Entitlement. These Conversations Make Me Uncomfortable And Threaten Me. Please Make Them Stop.”

Nails it. That's more or less the thesis of any number of hand wringing articles being written about how can't the women just quiet down about sexual assault or misogyny these days. That LA Times article Lingo posted on FB was egregiously offensive in the same vein because her argument was that women talking about harassment/misogyny/assault might not be enjoyable for the families grieving about their lost ones and also can't these women be happy that they weren't murdered? SILVER LININGS, YA'LL.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-09-2014 at 10:47 AM.

"I'm hornyyyyy. I neeed a neewww boyyrffriiieeenddd. SOMEBODY RAPE ME!"
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    “I Am Mad That We Are Now Talking About Sexual Assault And Sexual Entitlement. These Conversations Make Me Uncomfortable And Threaten Me. Please Make Them Stop.”

Nails it. That's more or less the thesis of any number of hand wringing articles being written about how can't the women just quiet down about sexual assault or misogyny these days. That LA Times article Lingo posted on FB was egregiously offensive in the same vein because her argument was that women talking about harassment/misogyny/assault might not be enjoyable for the families grieving about their lost ones and also can't these women be happy that they weren't murdered? SILVER LININGS, YA'LL.
    Fucked up.

George Will is a complete fucking asshole, and what I am about to say in no way endorses the point that we ought to talk less about sexual violence and misogyny. But there was a certain aspect of the #YesAllWomen thing that struck me as profoundly misplaced at the time. First, I find it troubling that we always immediately scramble to ascertain the various ideological paranoid delusions that any of these profoundly troubled mass killers may have been harboring. I don't think it's wrong to politicize a tragedy -- in fact, there's a good case that it is absolutely necessary to politicize tragedy in order to prevent it from happening again. What bothers me about the "let's scrutinize the ideology of a mentally ill person who shot a bunch of people" impulse is that we are, you know, scrutinizing the paranoid ideology of someone who shot a bunch of people. That leads to a second point, which is that instead of advancing dialogue with the audience who needs to hear it, by drawing up the comparison while the bodies are still smoldering, in their minds, you are associating their world view with the paranoid ramblings of a mass shooter. It gives the audience that needs to hear the message every incentive to tune it out completely, and the political cover to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Gotta love permissible sexual harassment.
    I welcome this kind of "harassment" (edit: would attention be a less aggravating term for you, Gue?). A colleague of mine massages my shoulders every chance he gets. We get plenty of weird looks, but he is soooooooo good.
    Last edited by algunz; 06-09-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

god i wish a man would beat me until i made him a sandwich *swoon*
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Um. The problem with that argument is that people weren't scrutinizing the ramblings of an isolated, paranoid ideology. They were scrutinizing the wider culture he participated in. Anyone writing intelligibly in response to Rodger was analyzing the PUAhate movement, the PUA movement, very real and prominent cultural landscapes that promote misogyny and the hatred of women. It wasn't misplaced at all. Sure not all women are going to get MURDERED, but will likely experience or have already experienced something along the spectrum. I also know for a fact that people (mostly men) who had no fucking clue what rape culture is or any consciousness of the ways in which women experience misogyny became interested in learning more because of that hashtag. On a personal level, I can name 4 people who might never have become aware of the dialogue or inclined to join in it without that movement.

So I really fucking bristle at this "Ooh, he was an isolated maniac," narrative. He wasn't. He didn't live in a cultural vacuum, and it's the culture that needs to be examined. It's not necessarily the street harassers and internet trolls who readily give death and rape threats that need to be made aware (though they do), it's others. It's men who haven't actually considered how dire this culture is for women, who, being made aware, might begin to contribute to shifting the culture. There's a pressing need for male feminists, and this movement made some waves in that regard.

It's not a convenient discussion, but giving voice to the oppressed is NEVER convenient. That's....sort of the point.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-09-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

"Harassment" at its most basic meaning is "unwanted." So if you want it, it's not harassment. You can call it whatever the fuck you want after that.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

The term "rape fantasy" does have its own Wikipedia page.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

So I really fucking bristle at this "Ooh, he was an isolated maniac," narrative. He wasn't.
    I assume you disagree with the "isolated" part and not the "maniac" part.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    The term "rape fantasy" does have its own Wikipedia page.
    One of my Favorites.

I also think that part of the "shifting the culture" for women involves shifting the culture for men. I believe part of the 'rape culture' mindset is a view, held by some, that a man who gets laid a lot is a better man than a man who doesn't. We see that right here on this board sometimes.

Morrissey tried to promote celibacy back in the 80s.

I assume you disagree with the "isolated" part and not the "maniac" part.
    Yes. And sure, perhaps there is no way to prevent random mass murders, but that isn't really what #yesallwomen was intended for or about. Is there a way to prevent a lad culture that is so dominant that 6 highschoolers were arrested after it was revealed they'd spent over a year taking upskirt pictures of their female teacher and circulating these pictures around the school and on the internet? Is it possible to prevent a culture where women are treated as sexual bodies to play games with or be owned? Yes, I think so.

I also think that part of the "shifting the culture" for women involves shifting the culture for men. I believe part of the 'rape culture' mindset is a view, held by some, that a man who gets laid a lot is a better man than a man who doesn't. We see that right here on this board sometimes.
    Yes. A world in which sexual conquest as the be all end all of what manhood is would be nice. This article is great, for those who haven't read it: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...and-nerds.html

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Morrissey tried to promote celibacy back in the 80s.
    Does this guy's douchebaggery have no end?

hahaha

This article is great, for those who haven't read it: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...and-nerds.html
    Holy shit! Arthur from Jeopardy. Smart guy

I just shotgunned a beer. I'm a 41 year old teenager.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Just listened to the Smiths for the first time and, frankly, Morrissey is kind of awful. The fellow playing guitar is the real bread & butter of the outfit, good lord.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?