Thread: It's raining NYC clubs

Default It's raining NYC clubs

CBGB's, Sin-E, Rothko, Tramps(years ago) and soon Tonic....there were rumors of the Mercury Lounge closing...

this is becoming shitty...most of these closings seem to do with condos and/or other residential buildings and people complaining. It's sad.

old school

Default Re: It's raining NYC clubs

Brooklyn has quite a few clubs popping up that are taking over for NYC's excellent rock clubs.
    The new Luna Lounge, Studio B, North Six and even a little place called Supreme Trading are all new excellent local venues to catch some great shows.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    Brooklyn has quite a few clubs popping up that are taking over for NYC's excellent rock clubs.
    The new Luna Lounge, Studio B, North Six and even a little place called Supreme Trading are all new excellent local venues to catch some great shows.
    North Six was bought by Bowery Presents people and is being renovated...so that's a plus. I guess Manhattan's just not the place to be anymore. Brooklyn's such a pain in the ass for me. Though I drive everywhere...so I guess it's not.

be sure and thank Giuliani.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    be sure and thank Giuliani.
    I'll thank him with a boot to the skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    and soon Tonic....there were rumors of the Mercury Lounge closing...
    Seriously? That makes me sad. I did not know this. I guess everyone is moving to the outer boroughs where they can actually afford rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Seriously? That makes me sad. I did not know this. I guess everyone is moving to the outer boroughs where they can actually afford rent.
    well...the mercury lounge rumors were just rumors...tonic though...that's true

I liked Tonic. Saw many good shows there. Oh well, I guess yet another reason for people to move to Brooklyn... or Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post

I liked Tonic. Saw many good shows there. Oh well, I guess yet another reason for people to move to Brooklyn... or Los Angeles.
    no offense...but I dont think there's any good reason for someone to move to LA. It irks me so.

old school

There are many reasons why the clubs are closing in Manhattan.
    All of this hating on Giuliani is a bit ridiculous. He ruined the electronic/dance/rave scene and he cleaned up Times Square. He had little to no affect on the rock scene in NYC. You can thank a totally unsupportive and snobby music scene for clubs being underfilled. New York bands don’t support each other. There is no more scene in Manhattan. In the late 80s and early 90s, bands used to support each other, sell each other’s merch, help with their tours and bands all blew up together. There are also thousands of awful bands in Manhattan, making some people skeptical of going out to discover new music.

The scene in Brooklyn is doing very well. In fact, I went to a show on Saturday night at a club I had never heard of, saw two bands I had never heard of and it was packed!
    Granted, they were a bit bigger than your average local band (The Presets, Datarock) but there were quite a few heads in attendance that had not heard of either band , or the opening bands (which I missed)

Headwear Fo Ya Backside chrislasf's Avatar

but I dont think there's any good reason for someone to move to LA. It irks me so.
    How come LA is full of displaced New Yorkers but NY has virtually no displaced Los Angelinos?

I love defending Los Angeles.
    I like it. It's not my favorite shit in the world, but it's a smart, funny show.

P.S. I'm gay

old school

I like LA. just sayin'
    also...
    "How come LA is full of displaced New Yorkers but NY has virtually no displaced Los Angelinos?"

how many people you know from LA that are originally from LA?

Quote Originally Posted by chrislasf View Post
    How come LA is full of displaced New Yorkers but NY has virtually no displaced Los Angelinos?

uhh, could it be--I'm just guessing here-- BETTER WEATHER?
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Maybe they're afraid to admit it. I just despise LA because it's like this huge spread out version of NYC, there's no public transport worth using and the pollution there is unreal, especially for being so spread out.

Im just being fiesty today. I grew up in LA. And yes our public transportation blows ass. And the pollution is horrendous. And there are a lot of "fake" people. I also think LA has a million things going for it but for some reason it kind of has a bullseye on its chest. I went to school in SF and it was even worse. It was so cool to hate LA and thats annoying. That being said, I would live in SF if I wasnt tied to an industry that really only exists in LA.

And I love NY. And Seattle. And a bunch of other cities. No one loves LA.
    I like it. It's not my favorite shit in the world, but it's a smart, funny show.

P.S. I'm gay

Im just being fiesty today. I grew up in LA. And yes our public transportation blows ass. And the pollution is horrendous. And there are a lot of "fake" people. I also think LA has a million things going for it but for some reason it kind of has a bullseye on its chest. I went to school in SF and it was even worse. It was so cool to hate LA and thats annoying. That being said, I would live in SF if I wasnt tied to an industry that really only exists in LA.

And I love NY. And Seattle. And a bunch of other cities. No one loves LA.
    Randy Newman loves LA

no offense...but I dont think there's any good reason for someone to move to LA. It irks me so.
    Okay, so obviously this was meant to provoke. But in all seriousness, I really do love LA, and for me there were many reasons to move here.

First and most obviously, I came here for my career. As someone in the art world, LA has an important vibrancy as a center for new production that New York is quickly losing due to its high cost of living. It also helps that there is a tremendous amount of entertainment industry money being pumped into the arts here, so it's much easier to get funding than it is on the east coast. In fact there was quite recently a NYT article published on just this topic.

The weather is a key factor for many people, especially those who might suffer from SAD or just really like to surf/bike/sail/etc. The southern Californian coast certainly beats any waves you'll catch on the Jersey shores. Also, LA is one of the few places in the country where you can have a beach day in the morning, and then two or three hours later be up in the mountains skiing. That's pretty neat.

Although I'll give you that the spread-out nature of the city is a really downfall when it comes to public transportation, it does allow many people to buy property that they might not be able to if they lived in San Francisco or New York. Coming from nyc to LA, I found that I was paying less in rent for an apartment that was almost double the size of my old one.

Although I love New York, to me it's like the slutty sister of Los Angeles. In New York, you can ride around on the subway, get off at random stops, and inevitably find something interesting to see/do. It's easy to get around and easy to find things. With LA, the city isn't that obvious. You could come here as a tourist and never leave Hollywood and think that the city is the biggest shithole in the earth. LA is grimy and difficult and secretive. You have to know how to get around, and you have to know where to go to find cool stuff. But once you do know and find the stuff, it's just that much more satisfying.

+5 million points

P.S. I'm gay

I will say this...I liked some of the outskirts of LA. Though I dont know if they count. I've been to Laguna Beach and Newport Beach, Balboa Island. Pretty nice places. But yeah, what I've seen of LA...I wasn't impressed. I liked all these places outside of LA...but LA itself just didn't do it for me. I'll probably defend NYC to the death and you'll probably defend LA too...as long as we can admit that they're both better than Chicago and Boston?

I'll probably defend NYC to the death and you'll probably defend LA too...as long as we can admit that they're both better than Chicago and Boston?
    I'll drink to that.

Cheers.

P.S. I'm gay

old school

I ve never been to Chicago, but I have been to Boston. It's a cool little city.
    It's not as cool as New York, but it's cool. The bars close at like 10pm or something absolutely retarded. Their nightlife sucks.
    I take it back. Boston sucks.

They have really supportive music scenes in the areas of MA outside of Boston, especially the punk and hardcore scenes. I remember being in this shitty hardcore band in 99, and playing up in Taunton, MA and there were about 150 kids at the show. None of them had ever heard of my band and we sold a bunch of merch. The kids went to check out bands coming through. They bought merch to support these touring bands. The local bands embraced these travelling bands and promoted these shows. I mean, I dont necessarily know if it is still 100% like that now in Boston, but I know its definitely not like that in New York.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    I ve never been to Chicago, but I have been to Boston. It's a cool little city.
    It's not as cool as New York, but it's cool. The bars close at like 10pm or something absolutely retarded. Their nightlife sucks.
    I take it back. Boston sucks.

They have really supportive music scenes in the areas of MA outside of Boston, especially the punk and hardcore scenes. I remember being in this shitty hardcore band in 99, and playing up in Taunton, MA and there were about 150 kids at the show. None of them had ever heard of my band and we sold a bunch of merch. The kids went to check out bands coming through. They bought merch to support these touring bands. The local bands embraced these travelling bands and promoted these shows. I mean, I dont necessarily know if it is still 100% like that now in Boston, but I know its definitely not like that in New York.

nando, if those kids weren't all in college it's not likely that any of them would have been anywhere near Boston.

i love LA....but once I got to South Florida I realized how much I like honest people. I don't see me going back to LA to live unless I have to for work
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

What's wrong with Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

They have a retard squishface notion of pizza

old school

I've heard cool things about Chicago. There are some great bands to come out of the city and hey...Perfect Strangers is based in Chicago, but then again so is Family Matters, so I guess if you've got Urkel reppin your city, youre fucked. Bottom line is that Chicago pizza is not pizza. Deep dish? Puh-lease.
    There is definitely worse pizza out there than Chicago pizza, but pizza is New York food. Straight up. Even the worst, slimiest slice of crappy new york pizza is better than anything in Miami, Chicago, Philly or any other city in this country.

Jack, the kids weren't all in college. It was an all ages show, but most of the kids were over 18 and were local kids. It was a really great experience. Local college scenes are different when it comes to supporting local music.
    You don't really have too much of that in NYC, with the exception of the electronic scenes. The NYU kids and the art kids are all snobby pretentious jerkfaces and are too cool to explore what is out there at local venues for rock shows. The jungle/drum&bass scenes around here do get some local support but nowhere near as much as it was 5-10 years ago.