Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 1294

Thread: Daft Punk 2013

  1. #421

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Having seen SHM doesn't count as "knowing" them? Do we have to have the entire discography of any artist to claim to "know them"? I'm confused.

  2. #422
    Daft Punky Junkie BROKENDOLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,648

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Does it bother you that Daft Punk fans from the Homework era are more appreciative of their work AND respect the pioneers that helped influence them than the majority of the teeny-bopper post-Discovery fans who can't name a single fucking track off of Homework other than Around the World?

    Besides, I don't think any DP fan from the Homework era wore skinny jeans or wore black rimmed lensless glasses to begin with, try again moron. The average post-Discovery DP fan don't even know who DJ Sneak is and are likely to cite Afrojack and Deadmau5 as one of their favorite artists, thereby lumping them with DP.

    Homework-era fans don't shit on the foundations of the scene like the majority of the post-Discovery fans do. Sorry if that's a tough pill to swallow for you.
    Up until 2006, I was too busy popping jagged little pills and banging my head to experience Daft Punk... That all changed after what I witnessed at Coachella, and during the next year I exposed myself to anything and everything they've ever done thus far. Could I name the tracks on any of their recordings? Nope. Do I wear eyeglass frames without lenses with my skinny jeans? Not in this fucking lifetime. And while I enjoy Afrojack and Deadmau5, I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of comparing them to Daft Punk. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't compare anyone to Daft Punk. They've pretty much carved out a place in my musical tastes that's all their own So, what kind of Daft Punk fan am I? Just curious...

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    tell us more about how true daft punk fans feel.
    I still get chills everytime ROBOT ROCK starts up. Well, that and a raging boner that I have to fistpump.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

  3. #423
    Daft Punky Junkie BROKENDOLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,648

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

  4. #424
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    "the only US festivals"

    Other headliners of that UK festival include Keane, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Morrissey, Basement Jaxx, Black Eyed Peas, Chemical Brothers, Pulp, Deadmau5, and Drake.
    Dude, they headlined Lolla, which is frankly a lot more people than Coachella. You can say that the year before "their slot" was given to Ween, but the years after it was taken by Radiohead and Depeche Mode and other huge bands. 2007 was the year that the re-establishment of Lolla turned into a massive event. Let's please not pretend that what they do isn't exciting enough to be headliners.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  5. #425

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Let's please address ourselves to what I'm actually saying, and not strawman versions of what I'm saying. Daft Punk in 2013 might excite you, and me, and a lot of other people a whole lot, but magnitude of interest is not quite the same thing as quantity of interest. Even if it's perfectly reasonable to expect that they are now an arena act - I'd expect so as well - there is no demonstrated history of their being one in America, and they have no new product now nor any original release under their name in 8 years.

    Moreover, even if they are an arena-scale act, several arena-scale acts with audiences demonstrably larger than any Daft Punk has drawn under their own name in the US thus far, including a number of dance acts and the biggest-selling band in America right now, have been and will be Coachella subheadliners in 2012 and 2013.

    Would Daft Punk nevertheless headline? Yeah, very likely, assuming GV doesn't want them to headline their new EDM festival instead.

    But my point, which is entirely hypothetical given that I know they are not headlining Coachella next year and have some reason to believe they won't be active for most or all of the year, but was explicitly addressed to the question why they won't be headlining - an explanation of reality - is that they are de facto not yet ready to do so in Spring 2013. End of conversation.

    If they drop a new album by this time next year and it excites a lot of people and we start hearing things about a new and different stage show, then we can talk. But there's realer-looking new material coming next year from bigger potential headlining acts like Eminem(/50?) and Beyonce, not to mention Arcade Fire. If GV signs two of those, they still need a big KROQ-ish act - if we're lucky, Phoenix will sub for Daft...
    Last edited by MotorAve; 12-03-2012 at 08:25 AM.

  6. #426
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    2,710

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Arcade Fire will not be at Coachella 2013 lmfao.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

  7. #427
    Coachella Junkie Mugwog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,666

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Arcade Fire will not be at Coachella 2013 lmfao.
    POSSIBLE REUNION?

  8. #428

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Arcade Fire will not be at Coachella 2013 lmfao.
    You mean 2014? Because that's what I was discussing.
    Last edited by MotorAve; 12-03-2012 at 08:58 AM.

  9. #429

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    PS LMFAO

  10. #430
    Coachella Junkie Mugwog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,666

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Have you googled lately?

  11. #431
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,119

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Let's please address ourselves to what I'm actually saying, and not strawman versions of what I'm saying. Daft Punk in 2013 might excite you, and me, and a lot of other people a whole lot, but magnitude of interest is not quite the same thing as quantity of interest. Even if it's perfectly reasonable to expect that they are now an arena act - I'd expect so as well - there is no demonstrated history of their being one in America, and they have no new product now nor any original release under their name in 8 years.

    Moreover, even if they are an arena-scale act, several arena-scale acts with audiences demonstrably larger than any Daft Punk has drawn under their own name in the US thus far, including a number of dance acts and the biggest-selling band in America right now, have been and will be Coachella subheadliners in 2012 and 2013.

    Would Daft Punk nevertheless headline? Yeah, very likely, assuming GV doesn't want them to headline their new EDM festival instead.

    But my point, which is entirely hypothetical given that I know they are not headlining Coachella next year and have some reason to believe they won't be active for most or all of the year, but was explicitly addressed to the question why they won't be headlining - an explanation of reality - is that they are de facto not yet ready to do so in Spring 2013. End of conversation.

    If they drop a new album by this time next year and it excites a lot of people and we start hearing things about a new and different stage show, then we can talk. But there's realer-looking new material coming next year from bigger potential headlining acts like Eminem(/50?) and Beyonce, not to mention Arcade Fire. If GV signs two of those, they still need a big KROQ-ish act - if we're lucky, Phoenix will sub for Daft...
    See this is where I say no chance in hell= Eminem or Beyonce....

    ps AF stated their new record won't be released till late 2013 aka they're definitely not playing.

    8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box


    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

  12. #432
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    2,710

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    You mean 2014? Because that's what I was discussing.
    No, I didn't catch that but I still think even then would be too soon.

    Black Keys are Goldenvoice poster children. They've been at the fest no less than 5 times in the past 8 years. And now that they've actually headlined, hopefully they'll be gone a long, long time.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

  13. #433
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,881

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    not to mention Eminem has no touring planned for next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  14. #434

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Hey, let's keep talking about how bands I said might play in 2014 definitely aren't playing in 2013.

  15. #435
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,007

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    With Coachella 18 weeks away DP would need to have the album done and deep into pre-production on the tour. That's a couple hundred people keeping a big secret.

    Weirdly, Daft makes more sense to me as a headliner('13 or '14) than Bjork.

    GV keeping Daft to launch an EDM festival is interesting.

  16. #436
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,881

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    With Coachella 18 weeks away DP would need to have the album done and deep into pre-production on the tour. That's a couple hundred people keeping a big secret.

    Weirdly, Daft makes more sense to me as a headliner('13 or '14) than Bjork.

    GV keeping Daft to launch an EDM festival is interesting.
    assuming the first parts of your statement are true and they are at that point, there are people leaking this shit all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  17. #437

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    If GV starts spinning off separate genre festivals, that's gonna make Coachella a lot less interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

  18. #438
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,007

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    assuming the first parts of your statement are true and they are at that point, there are people leaking this shit all over the place.
    What rumors have any cred beyond some hints dropped by Moroder/Nile R that only refer to the album?

  19. #439
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,007

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    If GV starts spinning off separate genre festivals, that's gonna make Coachella a lot less interesting.
    They have already done country, metal and a jam band festival sized events on the polo grounds.

    Though I agree that EDM would be trickier to pull off.

  20. #440
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,881

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    What rumors have any cred beyond some hints dropped by Moroder/Nile R that only refer to the album?
    rumors are inherently not credible. if they were credible they would be facts nd not up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  21. #441
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,007

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    rumors are inherently not credible. if they were credible they would be facts nd not up for debate.
    18 weeks away, there would have to be something plausible turn up regarding live shows.

    I put more stock in the Scandanavian summer festival promoter that is on record as saying Daft are not bookable in 2013.

  22. #442

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    They have already done country, metal and a jam band festival sized events on the polo grounds.

    Though I agree that EDM would be trickier to pull off.
    Stagecoach and Big 4 work because neither pull too many likely acts from Coachella. EDM though...I feel that's a big part of Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

  23. #443

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Hey, let's keep talking about how bands I said might play in 2014 definitely aren't playing in 2013.
    Hey, let's keep that to the Lineup Confirmation/Rumors Thread; which you have done a great job of derailing, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

  24. #444
    Member Wazzzzzup928's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Posts
    299

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 7.05.53 PM.jpg

    Do I trust him more than anyone else with stuff like this? Yes.
    Do I trust him on this one? Eh not really.
    Darkside - 1/26
    Robert DeLong - 1/30
    Scuba - 2/7
    Pusha T - 2/20
    Four Tet - 3/7
    Kraftwerk - 3/19
    Coachella - W1

  25. #445

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Ok, so i am aware most of you will rip this apart & flame away, but i wanted to share with you what one of my good friends shared with me last Friday.

    i heard from a friend that has worked down in LA with Chromeo, Dido & Taylor Swift & lots of other projects. Lately he says hes been recently working with Swedish producer Max Martin on a new Daft Punk album at Conway Recording Studios. So naturally I asked about some recording details & a Coachella 2013 possibility. He said in the studio they may have recorded around 17 tracks (not completed songs) and that DP was "in their own world" & "secretive" and were also working on "production elements for live performance integration" in the studio as they recorded. When i asked about Coachella, he says that its possible, but hasn't heard anything specific from the bands camp or the sound crew he was working with if anything was finalized.

    I asked what the release date was & he said he heard that it was an "early spring release date" and i asked the possibility of a 3/13/13 release date & he said that "sounds about right".

    Take this with a grain of salt, i'm not saying any of this is 100% true, but he is a good friend of mine.

    so yeah, fuel for the speculation fire.
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

  26. #446
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,881

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  27. #447
    Happy Feet Coachella Bound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    City of Wasted Dreams, CA
    Posts
    5,557

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Underworld > Daft Punk


    but shit.... lets have them both.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

    - PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

  28. #448

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by StarsAreBurning View Post
    Ok, so i am aware most of you will rip this apart & flame away, but i wanted to share with you what one of my good friends shared with me last Friday.

    i heard from a friend that has worked down in LA with Chromeo, Dido & Taylor Swift & lots of other projects. Lately he says hes been recently working with Swedish producer Max Martin on a new Daft Punk album at Conway Recording Studios. So naturally I asked about some recording details & a Coachella 2013 possibility. He said in the studio they may have recorded around 17 tracks (not completed songs) and that DP was "in their own world" & "secretive" and were also working on "production elements for live performance integration" in the studio as they recorded. When i asked about Coachella, he says that its possible, but hasn't heard anything specific from the bands camp or the sound crew he was working with if anything was finalized.

    I asked what the release date was & he said he heard that it was an "early spring release date" and i asked the possibility of a 3/13/13 release date & he said that "sounds about right".

    Take this with a grain of salt, i'm not saying any of this is 100% true, but he is a good friend of mine.

    so yeah, fuel for the speculation fire.
    I don't know why, but I feel this is the most believable story I've read on the boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

  29. #449
    Member elliottb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    I don't know why, but I feel this is the most believable story I've read on the boards.
    All these stories are attention seeking bullshit. But it's nice to get excited.

  30. #450
    old school CrimesceneCookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    I don't know why, but I feel this is the most believable story I've read on the boards.
    probably because there is nothing of substance here, except maybe some bullshit about some guy saying something to some other guy about "production elements for live performance integration"

Similar Threads

  1. Did GV get Daft Punk for 2013?
    By blueduck in forum Polls
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
  2. ???? = Daft Punk ??
    By slurpee in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
  3. DAFT PUNK?
    By Suffacated in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM
  4. Daft Punk...
    By Vericuester in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •