Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Daft Punk 2013

Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

Having seen SHM doesn't count as "knowing" them? Do we have to have the entire discography of any artist to claim to "know them"? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Does it bother you that Daft Punk fans from the Homework era are more appreciative of their work AND respect the pioneers that helped influence them than the majority of the teeny-bopper post-Discovery fans who can't name a single fucking track off of Homework other than Around the World?

Besides, I don't think any DP fan from the Homework era wore skinny jeans or wore black rimmed lensless glasses to begin with, try again moron. The average post-Discovery DP fan don't even know who DJ Sneak is and are likely to cite Afrojack and Deadmau5 as one of their favorite artists, thereby lumping them with DP.

Homework-era fans don't shit on the foundations of the scene like the majority of the post-Discovery fans do. Sorry if that's a tough pill to swallow for you.
    Up until 2006, I was too busy popping jagged little pills and banging my head to experience Daft Punk... That all changed after what I witnessed at Coachella, and during the next year I exposed myself to anything and everything they've ever done thus far. Could I name the tracks on any of their recordings? Nope. Do I wear eyeglass frames without lenses with my skinny jeans? Not in this fucking lifetime. And while I enjoy Afrojack and Deadmau5, I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of comparing them to Daft Punk. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't compare anyone to Daft Punk. They've pretty much carved out a place in my musical tastes that's all their own So, what kind of Daft Punk fan am I? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    tell us more about how true daft punk fans feel.
    I still get chills everytime ROBOT ROCK starts up. Well, that and a raging boner that I have to fistpump.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    "the only US festivals"

Other headliners of that UK festival include Keane, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Morrissey, Basement Jaxx, Black Eyed Peas, Chemical Brothers, Pulp, Deadmau5, and Drake.
    Dude, they headlined Lolla, which is frankly a lot more people than Coachella. You can say that the year before "their slot" was given to Ween, but the years after it was taken by Radiohead and Depeche Mode and other huge bands. 2007 was the year that the re-establishment of Lolla turned into a massive event. Let's please not pretend that what they do isn't exciting enough to be headliners.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Let's please address ourselves to what I'm actually saying, and not strawman versions of what I'm saying. Daft Punk in 2013 might excite you, and me, and a lot of other people a whole lot, but magnitude of interest is not quite the same thing as quantity of interest. Even if it's perfectly reasonable to expect that they are now an arena act - I'd expect so as well - there is no demonstrated history of their being one in America, and they have no new product now nor any original release under their name in 8 years.

Moreover, even if they are an arena-scale act, several arena-scale acts with audiences demonstrably larger than any Daft Punk has drawn under their own name in the US thus far, including a number of dance acts and the biggest-selling band in America right now, have been and will be Coachella subheadliners in 2012 and 2013.

Would Daft Punk nevertheless headline? Yeah, very likely, assuming GV doesn't want them to headline their new EDM festival instead.

But my point, which is entirely hypothetical given that I know they are not headlining Coachella next year and have some reason to believe they won't be active for most or all of the year, but was explicitly addressed to the question why they won't be headlining - an explanation of reality - is that they are de facto not yet ready to do so in Spring 2013. End of conversation.

If they drop a new album by this time next year and it excites a lot of people and we start hearing things about a new and different stage show, then we can talk. But there's realer-looking new material coming next year from bigger potential headlining acts like Eminem(/50?) and Beyonce, not to mention Arcade Fire. If GV signs two of those, they still need a big KROQ-ish act - if we're lucky, Phoenix will sub for Daft...
    Last edited by MotorAve; 12-03-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Arcade Fire will not be at Coachella 2013 lmfao.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    POSSIBLE REUNION?

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    You mean 2014? Because that's what I was discussing.
    Last edited by MotorAve; 12-03-2012 at 08:58 AM.

PS LMFAO

Have you googled lately?

Let's please address ourselves to what I'm actually saying, and not strawman versions of what I'm saying. Daft Punk in 2013 might excite you, and me, and a lot of other people a whole lot, but magnitude of interest is not quite the same thing as quantity of interest. Even if it's perfectly reasonable to expect that they are now an arena act - I'd expect so as well - there is no demonstrated history of their being one in America, and they have no new product now nor any original release under their name in 8 years.

Moreover, even if they are an arena-scale act, several arena-scale acts with audiences demonstrably larger than any Daft Punk has drawn under their own name in the US thus far, including a number of dance acts and the biggest-selling band in America right now, have been and will be Coachella subheadliners in 2012 and 2013.

Would Daft Punk nevertheless headline? Yeah, very likely, assuming GV doesn't want them to headline their new EDM festival instead.

But my point, which is entirely hypothetical given that I know they are not headlining Coachella next year and have some reason to believe they won't be active for most or all of the year, but was explicitly addressed to the question why they won't be headlining - an explanation of reality - is that they are de facto not yet ready to do so in Spring 2013. End of conversation.

If they drop a new album by this time next year and it excites a lot of people and we start hearing things about a new and different stage show, then we can talk. But there's realer-looking new material coming next year from bigger potential headlining acts like Eminem(/50?) and Beyonce, not to mention Arcade Fire. If GV signs two of those, they still need a big KROQ-ish act - if we're lucky, Phoenix will sub for Daft...
    See this is where I say no chance in hell= Eminem or Beyonce....

ps AF stated their new record won't be released till late 2013 aka they're definitely not playing.

8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

You mean 2014? Because that's what I was discussing.
    No, I didn't catch that but I still think even then would be too soon.

Black Keys are Goldenvoice poster children. They've been at the fest no less than 5 times in the past 8 years. And now that they've actually headlined, hopefully they'll be gone a long, long time.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

not to mention Eminem has no touring planned for next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Hey, let's keep talking about how bands I said might play in 2014 definitely aren't playing in 2013.

old school

With Coachella 18 weeks away DP would need to have the album done and deep into pre-production on the tour. That's a couple hundred people keeping a big secret.

Weirdly, Daft makes more sense to me as a headliner('13 or '14) than Bjork.

GV keeping Daft to launch an EDM festival is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    With Coachella 18 weeks away DP would need to have the album done and deep into pre-production on the tour. That's a couple hundred people keeping a big secret.

Weirdly, Daft makes more sense to me as a headliner('13 or '14) than Bjork.

GV keeping Daft to launch an EDM festival is interesting.
    assuming the first parts of your statement are true and they are at that point, there are people leaking this shit all over the place.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

If GV starts spinning off separate genre festivals, that's gonna make Coachella a lot less interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    assuming the first parts of your statement are true and they are at that point, there are people leaking this shit all over the place.
    What rumors have any cred beyond some hints dropped by Moroder/Nile R that only refer to the album?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    If GV starts spinning off separate genre festivals, that's gonna make Coachella a lot less interesting.
    They have already done country, metal and a jam band festival sized events on the polo grounds.

Though I agree that EDM would be trickier to pull off.

What rumors have any cred beyond some hints dropped by Moroder/Nile R that only refer to the album?
    rumors are inherently not credible. if they were credible they would be facts nd not up for debate.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    rumors are inherently not credible. if they were credible they would be facts nd not up for debate.
    18 weeks away, there would have to be something plausible turn up regarding live shows.

I put more stock in the Scandanavian summer festival promoter that is on record as saying Daft are not bookable in 2013.

They have already done country, metal and a jam band festival sized events on the polo grounds.

Though I agree that EDM would be trickier to pull off.
    Stagecoach and Big 4 work because neither pull too many likely acts from Coachella. EDM though...I feel that's a big part of Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Hey, let's keep talking about how bands I said might play in 2014 definitely aren't playing in 2013.
    Hey, let's keep that to the Lineup Confirmation/Rumors Thread; which you have done a great job of derailing, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 7.05.53 PM.jpg

Do I trust him more than anyone else with stuff like this? Yes.
    Do I trust him on this one? Eh not really.
    Darkside - 1/26
    Robert DeLong - 1/30
    Scuba - 2/7
    Pusha T - 2/20
    Four Tet - 3/7
    Kraftwerk - 3/19
    Coachella - W1

Ok, so i am aware most of you will rip this apart & flame away, but i wanted to share with you what one of my good friends shared with me last Friday.

i heard from a friend that has worked down in LA with Chromeo, Dido & Taylor Swift & lots of other projects. Lately he says hes been recently working with Swedish producer Max Martin on a new Daft Punk album at Conway Recording Studios. So naturally I asked about some recording details & a Coachella 2013 possibility. He said in the studio they may have recorded around 17 tracks (not completed songs) and that DP was "in their own world" & "secretive" and were also working on "production elements for live performance integration" in the studio as they recorded. When i asked about Coachella, he says that its possible, but hasn't heard anything specific from the bands camp or the sound crew he was working with if anything was finalized.

I asked what the release date was & he said he heard that it was an "early spring release date" and i asked the possibility of a 3/13/13 release date & he said that "sounds about right".

Take this with a grain of salt, i'm not saying any of this is 100% true, but he is a good friend of mine.

so yeah, fuel for the speculation fire.
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

Underworld > Daft Punk

but shit.... lets have them both.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by StarsAreBurning View Post
    Ok, so i am aware most of you will rip this apart & flame away, but i wanted to share with you what one of my good friends shared with me last Friday.

i heard from a friend that has worked down in LA with Chromeo, Dido & Taylor Swift & lots of other projects. Lately he says hes been recently working with Swedish producer Max Martin on a new Daft Punk album at Conway Recording Studios. So naturally I asked about some recording details & a Coachella 2013 possibility. He said in the studio they may have recorded around 17 tracks (not completed songs) and that DP was "in their own world" & "secretive" and were also working on "production elements for live performance integration" in the studio as they recorded. When i asked about Coachella, he says that its possible, but hasn't heard anything specific from the bands camp or the sound crew he was working with if anything was finalized.

I asked what the release date was & he said he heard that it was an "early spring release date" and i asked the possibility of a 3/13/13 release date & he said that "sounds about right".

Take this with a grain of salt, i'm not saying any of this is 100% true, but he is a good friend of mine.

so yeah, fuel for the speculation fire.
    I don't know why, but I feel this is the most believable story I've read on the boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    I don't know why, but I feel this is the most believable story I've read on the boards.
    All these stories are attention seeking bullshit. But it's nice to get excited.

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    probably because there is nothing of substance here, except maybe some bullshit about some guy saying something to some other guy about "production elements for live performance integration"