Thread: Daft Punk 2013

Default Re: Daft Punk 2013

fucking loved that day

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut Up Forever Almost All of You.

SEE YOU AT WEEKEND ONE!

old school

i'd be curious to hear who both of u saw..without looking at the poster the only memories i really have are of faith no more and bassnectar, and missing most of les claypool & z-trip running back and forth. i remember being the lighter of the three days
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    i'd be curious to hear who both of u saw..without looking at the poster the only memories i really have are of faith no more and bassnectar, and missing most of les claypool & z-trip running back and forth. i remember being the lighter of the three days
    Rx Bandits, Portugal. the Man - two of my favorite bands to start the day, Girls, Beach House, the Raveonettes, The xx, Hot Chip(who were probably my favorite of the weekend), some of Faith No More, Muse, the Dead Weather, and 2 Many DJs. Loved them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    Jesus, does he have to spell it out for you?

He is calling you a hipster because many hipsters wear fake glasses [see Exhibit A]. He is calling you one, due to the "I liked Daft Punk before they donned robot costumes."

Exhibit A:

Is that clear enough for you or do you need diagrams, pie charts, and definitions?
    Does it bother you that Daft Punk fans from the Homework era are more appreciative of their work AND respect the pioneers that helped influence them than the majority of the teeny-bopper post-Discovery fans who can't name a single fucking track off of Homework other than Around the World?

Besides, I don't think any DP fan from the Homework era wore skinny jeans or wore black rimmed lensless glasses to begin with, try again moron. The average post-Discovery DP fan don't even know who DJ Sneak is and are likely to cite Afrojack and Deadmau5 as one of their favorite artists, thereby lumping them with DP.

Homework-era fans don't shit on the foundations of the scene like the majority of the post-Discovery fans do. Sorry if that's a tough pill to swallow for you.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Homework sucked. Frankly, it all sucked until they mixed all their songs together into one big long set with a giant spaceship. Sorry guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Does it bother you that Daft Punk fans from the Homework era are more appreciative of their work AND respect the pioneers that helped influence them than the majority of the teeny-bopper post-Discovery fans who can't name a single fucking track off of Homework other than Around the World?

Besides, I don't think any DP fan from the Homework era wore skinny jeans or wore black rimmed lensless glasses to begin with, try again moron. The average post-Discovery DP fan don't even know who DJ Sneak is and are likely to cite Afrojack and Deadmau5 as one of their favorite artists, thereby lumping them with DP.

Homework-era fans don't shit on the foundations of the scene like the majority of the post-Discovery fans do. Sorry if that's a tough pill to swallow for you.
    tell us more about how true daft punk fans feel.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

It bothers me Electrotek...it bothers me
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Besides, I don't think any DP fan from the Homework era wore skinny jeans or wore black rimmed lensless glasses to begin with, try again moron.
    You seem to be forgetting though, hipsters would have hated Daft Punk before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.

August 1 - Echo and the Bunnymen - Orpheum
    August 4 - Arcade Fire - SB Bowl
    August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Homework sucked. Frankly, it all sucked until they mixed all their songs together into one big long set with a giant spaceship. Sorry guys.
    Actual Truth

Says the guy who chose She Wants Revenge over them.

Must be mad, right menik?

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Daft Punk could be sitting around a makeshift campfire on the mainstage in robot costumes, toasting marshmellows, and occasionally blasting an air siren and they would still be headlining. Daft Punk do not need to demonstrate anything. Their previous tours and the general demand for them already do that.
    The last tour was nearly 6 years ago (from Coachella 2013), and, fest appearances aside, hit only a few US cities and nothing larger than 10K except for the LA Sports Arena, where they sold just over 13K tickets. That's well below the level of headliners like Muse, who are playing 2 nights each at Staples and MSG, or even non-headliners like Swedish House Mafia (2 nights at the 30K-capacity Historic Park, 1 at MSG and 3 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn). Has the EDM explosion created more of an audience for them? Quite possibly, but I'd say it's created more of a potential audience; I'm not at all sure that the kids who listen to SHM and Skrillex care let alone even really know them. They'll probably headline some year soon, but first they need to put out their first non-soundtrack record in at least 8 years.

The Sports Arena show sold out in about an hour, without a new album to support, based on hype from one performance that probably 8000 people saw a year before.
    Had they played a larger capacity venue in Los Angeles the number would have been much higher obviously.
    The hype has done nothing but grow. Everyone knows who they are now.
    They could easily fill Staples if they announced dates there today.
    Last edited by CrimesceneCookie; 12-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    I'm not at all sure that the kids who listen to SHM and Skrillex care let alone even really know them.
    Pro tip: People* will be more inclined to buy the other bullshit you're selling if you refrain from absurd bullshit like this.

*people that know nothing about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Says the guy who chose She Wants Revenge over them.
    Yeah, because their previous work sucked.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    The Sports Arena show sold out in about an hour, without a new album to support, based on hype from one performance that probably 8000 people saw a year before.
    Had they played a larger capacity venue in Los Angeles the number would have been much higher obviously.
    The hype has done nothing but grow. Everyone knows who they are now.
    They could easily fill Staples if they announced dates there today.
    If you say so, guy. I'm looking at actual things that actually happened, not imaginary things that you think could happen.

Well, dude, I mean it's silly to say that they can't headline festivals. They headlined a bunch of festivals.

Revolution 909's the only decent track off Homework.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Well, dude, I mean it's silly to say that they can't headline festivals. They headlined a bunch of festivals.
    Yeah, it would be silly to say that, which is why I didn't; I only said that I think they need to get back in the game a bit before they headline one particular festival, Coachella, which isn't going to happen in time for 2013, when they aren't headlining anyway.

Btw, the only US festivals they've headlined were Lollapalooza '07, at which they took a slot held the previous year by Ween, and second-tier Vegoose '07 (half the size of Coachella) and Bang Music Festival '06 (alongside such top headliners as Modest Mouse and Duran Duran). The year prior they subbed at Coachella on the strength of a record that, live and soundtrack work aside, they have yet to follow-up.

Ultra as well, although I agree that I wouldn't really count that. But seriously, it's a silly argument to make. At each of those festivals people lost their fucking minds at what they saw. I didn't even like the bastards and what they did won me over completely, not just visually but musically as well. They have tremendous name recognition and now as a result of those shows they have a ton of recognition as a rare live act. I wasn't at Lolla but from what I heard the crowd was pretty thick, dude.

So Mr Knows A Lot, who is the third headliner in this horrible nightmare timeline you're advocating?

Try reading a bit

Or you could just answer the question and not be such a prick about it.

Seriously, let's hear about your third headliner. If you're gonna act like you know this lineup back and forth and its every little detail, then back it up and add some depth to what you're saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.

August 1 - Echo and the Bunnymen - Orpheum
    August 4 - Arcade Fire - SB Bowl
    August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Oh right, RHCP. Jesus Christ. I wouldn't mind Muse coming back at all but holy fuck if the rest of that is true I'm going to blame you personally.

Scarcity value plus the fact that EDM in general has blown the fuck up since DP last toured and elevated the entire genre in terms of fetsival draw, equals Daft Punk could headline any goddamn festival on earth right now, new material or not. Every festival worth a shit is going to throw an obligatory call to DP every year until they return, and will offer the moon (including a headline slot...not just the Tiesto/SHM late night closer slot) to get them.

You're embarrassing yourself by completely misreading the Skrillex/SHM younger fan base as well. Most of them have heard of DP simply by word of mouth, and even the ones that haven't will queue up to see them just based on the mythological/legend status they now have (whether you think they deserve that status is another issue entirely).

MotoRave.

Didn't they also do the festival in London in front of like 60k in Hyde Park or something?

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    Didn't they also do the festival in London in front of like 60k in Hyde Park or something?
    "the only US festivals"

Other headliners of that UK festival include Keane, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Morrissey, Basement Jaxx, Black Eyed Peas, Chemical Brothers, Pulp, Deadmau5, and Drake.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    You're embarrassing yourself by completely misreading the Skrillex/SHM younger fan base as well. Most of them have heard of DP simply by word of mouth, and even the ones that haven't will queue up to see them just based on the mythological/legend status they now have (whether you think they deserve that status is another issue entirely).
    I'm 20 years old, and I can confirm this as truth. We've all known who Daft Punk is since we were in high school. We all know, at the very least, the song "One More Time" (which DJs played at our school dances). A lot of us are also familiar with the robot helmet image. Daft Punk are icons, "legends" as mrhand stated.

Oh, you, average lineup-obsessed messageboarder, speak for the tens of thousands of know-nothings who only know SHM because they saw them at EDC, a brand they know, got it.