Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lounge is Seceding from the Message Board

Default Re: Lounge is Seceding from the Message Board

what a stupid statement keriann.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

In response to Tessa's thoughts:

I don't see how anything said by Chris, me, or any of the people who expressed similar sentiments was an attempt to cut out new people entirely, or to turn things into a martial state in which everyone gets their ass kicked for no reason. It was merely a call to move away from the meatball mentality of the majority of threads on here right now, and re-establish the quality of writing/discussions that was far more prevalent a year or two years ago. How is that bullshit? How is that something to be ashamed of? The protest is not against new people; it's against crass, stupid people. The old board/new board debate is just a convenient association for the nostalgic ones among us, but it's not a line in the sand.

Like you, I used to be on this fucker all day every day; also like you, I'm rarely on it now. What little I am on here these days, I've basically had to restrict myself to threads that I created, or that someone recommends I read right away, because wading through the nonsense is just not worth it. Other than that, I have no idea what's going on here. I'm okay with that, but it doesn't mean I don't miss the time when it was far more entertaining, when it was less of a "lol who wan 2 cyber?" affair and more of a collective of genuinely talented writers who did a pretty outstanding job of keeping each other laughing. Sure, it's never been perfect, but it has been far better. Do you really not believe that at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Banned

Stop being such a bitch tom.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    someday these will be looked back on as the "classic chrislasf lectures" with a mix of reverence and awe. You can say, you were there when it happened. you were there and you saw it. This is history!
    i can say that some of his famous lectures were pointed at me.

i just wanted to say that i really wasnt butt hurt about anything yesterday, i could honestly care less what people on an internet message board think about me.

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_cake530 View Post

i just wanted to say that i really wasnt butt hurt about anything yesterday, i could honestly care less what people on an internet message board think about me.
    That's good, because you look like a retard to the people on the message board.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    what a stupid statement keriann.
    HA! That made me laugh! See how fun that was!?!

Headwear Fo Ya Backside chrislasf's Avatar

Dude, (why am I assuming youre a dude?) I went out of my way to say it wasnt pointed at you, that I just wanted to use your sentiments to jump off from. Did you skip that part?

EDIT: Also, Roberto73, that is a class fucking post. Kudos. There really have been days where I am just like fuck it I'll go find other places to kill some work downtime. Your post made me throw that notion out the window. I dont ever like thinking about the days right after Coachella because theyre usually depressing, but I am kind of looking forward to this place post festival.
    Last edited by chrislasf; 04-05-2007 at 10:37 AM.
    I like it. It's not my favorite shit in the world, but it's a smart, funny show.

P.S. I'm gay

Quote Originally Posted by chrislasf View Post
    Dude, (why am I assuming youre a dude?) I went out of my way to say it wasnt pointed at you, that I just wanted to use your sentiments to jump off from. Did you skip that part?

EDIT: Also, Roberto73, that is a class fucking post. Kudos. There really have been days where I am just like fuck it I'll go find other places to kill some work downtime. Your post made me throw that notion out the window. I dont ever like thinking about the days right after Coachella because theyre usually depressing, but I am kind of looking forward to this place post festival.
    not the first one, but the posts succeeding that one.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'll dip my toe into this thread, just to give the perspective of one of the "noobs." I self-censor a lot, primarily because I know that when someone enters into a new discourse community they'll invariably be judged by the long-time members of that community (my grad school dollars are working overtime in that sentence). Even though I've been going to Coachella for years, this year marks my first interaction on the board, and I was amazed at the flood-levels of shit in many of the threads. I didn't post a lot at first, primarily because a) I didn't want to be viewed as just another of the clueless newbies, b) I didn't want my posts to just contribute to the "dumbing down" of the board, and c) it takes some time to figure out who's worth talking to and who should have their computer privileges revoked. There's an awful lot of chaff you have to get through to find the relatively low amount of wheat on this board, and for some people it might not be worth the effort. Some of you know my story: I'm in grad school and I teach, and that's a huge drain on my time. But I love music and I believe in what Coachella represents, and for that alone it's worth hanging around and becoming engaged with some of the more meaningful conversations on here. But that might not be true of some people in similar situations. The sheer amount of garbage might just seem too much to overcome.

I know it seems bleak. No one's more distressed at the anti-intellectualism on here than me. If I responded to everything that pissed me off or displayed stupefying ignorance, I'd never stop typing. But for the old-timers who are lamenting the current state of the board and the people contributing to it, I'd encourage you to hang in there. The new folks who manage to wade through the Daft Punk posts and the RATM posts and the countless polls and who still want to stick around afterward are going to be quality people interested in intelligent conversation. There might not be many of us, but rest assured that some of us really are interested in making a positive contribution around here.
    If I could clone you, I would. I think I ragged on you for something in the movie corner or elsewhere, but your head's definitely in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    In response to Tessa's thoughts:

I don't see how anything said by Chris, me, or any of the people who expressed similar sentiments was an attempt to cut out new people entirely, or to turn things into a martial state in which everyone gets their ass kicked for no reason. It was merely a call to move away from the meatball mentality of the majority of threads on here right now, and re-establish the quality of writing/discussions that was far more prevalent a year or two years ago. How is that bullshit? How is that something to be ashamed of? The protest is not against new people; it's against crass, stupid people. The old board/new board debate is just a convenient association for the nostalgic ones among us, but it's not a line in the sand.
    to be fair, Chris did talk about getting rid of the 400 monkeys.

I think "post better, people!" is a better message than "go away, people!". But the latter would likely be more effective.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

This thread has turned back to boring.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, you fucking lawyer!
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Okay, I'll give you that, Tom. But I'm guessing he only said that because he couldn't envision some of the monkeys getting better, smarter, more productive. I can't either, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to the idea. It's not about the who (as in the posters) or the when (as in the length of their tenure here), it's about the what (as in the content of their conversation). I'd be down with the bastard twins from Good Charlotte hanging around here as long as they conducted themselves respectably.

agreed. which is why i said the latter method would be more effective.

but no matter, york's bored, and we can't have that.

Hey, I can post shite for a good three months now that I got that Travelling Wilburys post out of the way...
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    This thread has turned back to boring.
    no it hasn't. your statement assumes it wasn't at some point.

Headwear Fo Ya Backside chrislasf's Avatar

I think it has been well established that I hate fucking monkeys and any other sort of similar animal that would get its shit owned by a grizzly.
    I like it. It's not my favorite shit in the world, but it's a smart, funny show.

P.S. I'm gay

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    no it hasn't. your statement assumes it wasn't at some point.
    jack will try and seem like a hard ass till the biter end.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, you fucking lawyer!
    I approve of this message

I think it has been well established that I hate fucking monkeys and any other sort of similar animal that would get its shit owned by a grizzly.
    What about, say, lemurs? Where do they figure on your scale of douchebaggery?
    Because fucking millenials that's what

So the question is - what do we do about all fucking grizzlies around here?
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    jack will try and seem like a hard ass till the biter end.
    right, because it gains me so much around here. I'm so desperate for coachella board memeber respect.

old school

I bet you hate black people too.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

no I love them. All the time actually.

right, because it gains me so much around here. I'm so desperate for coachella board memeber respect.
    I made no attempt to guess why; I imagine you do it for your own kicks, not respect.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

It's not about the who (as in the posters) or the when (as in the length of their tenure here), it's about the what (as in the content of their conversation).
    Heartily seconded

Haven't you ever heard the old adage "400 monkeys typing at 400 keyboards for 400 years will eventually reproduce the complete works of some twat-for-brains nobody want to hear from in real life either?"

Think about that before you start judging, people. That's all I'm saying.
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Monkey lover.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

old school

no I love them. All the time actually.
    jackstraw. black love. all day. everyday.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

I guess the term "hard ass" seems to me as if it implies some sort of feigned toughness or some shit. Nobody on this board has ever been tough. Everyone here is soft and squishy.