Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lounge is Seceding from the Message Board

Default Re: Lounge is Seceding from the Message Board

And as a random aside, I feel bad when people stop posting. And sometimes I hate people at first, and then like them more as they stop doing annoying shit like raving about how RATM are going TO RAWK DUDE LOLZ and posting the same obnoxious shit over and over again. At first I didn't like rage patton but he's cool now. And occasionally I feel sorry for Delta, but not really. Anyway, just thought I'd say that.

Headwear Fo Ya Backside chrislasf's Avatar

This thread is starting to feel like home.
    I like it. It's not my favorite shit in the world, but it's a smart, funny show.

P.S. I'm gay

Last random note:

We should do a census on here. With pictures. To catalog people. Like cattle.

Let's dehumanize this shit!

I'll dip my toe into this thread, just to give the perspective of one of the "noobs." I self-censor a lot, primarily because I know that when someone enters into a new discourse community they'll invariably be judged by the long-time members of that community (my grad school dollars are working overtime in that sentence). Even though I've been going to Coachella for years, this year marks my first interaction on the board, and I was amazed at the flood-levels of shit in many of the threads. I didn't post a lot at first, primarily because a) I didn't want to be viewed as just another of the clueless newbies, b) I didn't want my posts to just contribute to the "dumbing down" of the board, and c) it takes some time to figure out who's worth talking to and who should have their computer privileges revoked. There's an awful lot of chaff you have to get through to find the relatively low amount of wheat on this board, and for some people it might not be worth the effort. Some of you know my story: I'm in grad school and I teach, and that's a huge drain on my time. But I love music and I believe in what Coachella represents, and for that alone it's worth hanging around and becoming engaged with some of the more meaningful conversations on here. But that might not be true of some people in similar situations. The sheer amount of garbage might just seem too much to overcome.

I know it seems bleak. No one's more distressed at the anti-intellectualism on here than me. If I responded to everything that pissed me off or displayed stupefying ignorance, I'd never stop typing. But for the old-timers who are lamenting the current state of the board and the people contributing to it, I'd encourage you to hang in there. The new folks who manage to wade through the Daft Punk posts and the RATM posts and the countless polls and who still want to stick around afterward are going to be quality people interested in intelligent conversation. There might not be many of us, but rest assured that some of us really are interested in making a positive contribution around here.
    Last edited by roberto73; 04-05-2007 at 02:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

My viewpoint on this whole thing (previously displayed in petulant one-liners) is that I've become more comfortable on this new board--I don't have to constantly watch my back because the people who clearly hate me have stopped posting so much. Do I mind that there are a TON of useless, ridiculous posts? Yeah, a little, but at least I know I'm going to be able to find some of the better posts and not worry about being ripped a new asshole every single day. I still post way too much, and I admit that, but I have also been trying to self-censor--there are many times when I will start a post and think "this is a shitty post--no one needs to know that," and I won't post it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen certain people post and think "oh my god, are they gonna rip on me again for my post?" And believe me, a lot of the time they are ripping on me. But they don't post a lot anymore, so I felt safe. So when Chris waltzes back in here, and says, "ARR, I'm taking back the board!!" I'm gonna get a little scared. Sure, I'm starting to get to the point where some of the harmless (but extreme) ribbing doesn't bother me so much anymore, but I know there are still some people who will issue invective at me not to get a cool invective response back, but because they TRULY hate me and want me to get the fuck off the board. I regret that at some times I have been so beaten down and defensive that I have lashed out at people who were only playing around and were really nice people.

Today was a really good day of posting, but I am worried about this talk of VIP areas and different ways to clique this place up. I post on here basically because not only do I love Coachella, my work is very boring, and I don't really have too many people I like to talk to at work. When I'm at home, I hardly post on here, but at work, this gives me something to look forward to every day. I really like a lot of people on here, and I look forward to meeting a lot of you, although I'm terrified at the same time (simple shyness). If this board changes up again, I really hope it's a positive change and not a path to destruction.

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

the old board had its stupid moments too. especially the month or two before coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    My viewpoint on this whole thing (previously displayed in petulant one-liners) is that I've become more comfortable on this new board--I don't have to constantly watch my back because the people who clearly hate me have stopped posting so much. Do I mind that there are a TON of useless, ridiculous posts? Yeah, a little, but at least I know I'm going to be able to find some of the better posts and not worry about being ripped a new asshole every single day. I still post way too much, and I admit that, but I have also been trying to self-censor--there are many times when I will start a post and think "this is a shitty post--no one needs to know that," and I won't post it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen certain people post and think "oh my god, are they gonna rip on me again for my post?" And believe me, a lot of the time they are ripping on me. But they don't post a lot anymore, so I felt safe. So when Chris waltzes back in here, and says, "ARR, I'm taking back the board!!" I'm gonna get a little scared. Sure, I'm starting to get to the point where some of the harmless (but extreme) ribbing doesn't bother me so much anymore, but I know there are still some people who will issue invective at me not to get a cool invective response back, but because they TRULY hate me and want me to get the fuck off the board. I regret that at some times I have been so beaten down and defensive that I have lashed out at people who were only playing around and were really nice people.

Today was a really good day of posting, but I am worried about this talk of VIP areas and different ways to clique this place up. I post on here basically because not only do I love Coachella, my work is very boring, and I don't really have too many people I like to talk to at work. When I'm at home, I hardly post on here, but at work, this gives me something to look forward to every day. I really like a lot of people on here, and I look forward to meeting a lot of you, although I'm terrified at the same time (simple shyness). If this board changes up again, I really hope it's a positive change and not a path to destruction.

That is all.

amy if ive offended you good....i dont mean that in a bad way...its just that i like calling you a crazy ugly bull dyke cos when i meet you im hoping you are a hot lipstick lesibian.
    Last edited by caco0283; 04-05-2007 at 08:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

caco I think I've decided you're even funnier than bug. and bug was pretty damned funny.

tommy boy just wait and see how funny i am...and i know you know what i am speaking about....just wait and see i just have four words for you "dont brake my heart"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

I wish that I had hugged Jack the one time I met him. It would have been a 15 second embrace, at the least. Potential butt touching as well. Genital interaction could have happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Banned

My viewpoint. Fuck you.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    I wish that I had hugged Jack the one time I met him. It would have been a 15 second embrace, at the least. Potential butt touching as well. Genital interaction could have happened.
    i got to hug Jack a few weeks ago. it was all I had dreamt it would be.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

Quote Originally Posted by caco0283 View Post
    amy if ive offended you good....i dont mean that in a bad way...its just that i like calling you a crazy ugly bull dyke cos when i meet you im hoping you are a hot lipstick lesibian.
    Caco, I think I almost got that idea yesterday.

Amy - Why are you so afraid of people on a message board?
    I remember talking to you in the old chat way back when, and you said you were afraid of me - that you thought I was mean. I told you I wasn't. I told you I'm actually pretty nice, and that everything I say on this message board was exaggerated and that if you were ever the one getting the brunt of it, remember that I was JOKING and not to take it personal. It wasn't long after that you were crying about something I said to you, and in turn, I probably said something meaner just to get a reaction out of you. Then you wouldn't let it go! You still won't let it go! How long has it been? You're still going on and on about how so and so hates you and blah blah blah the virtual message board is this scary place where you have to watch your back all the time.
    Get over yourself! You've obviously made quite a few friends here - people who have no problem coming to your defense when they think it's necessary. Yet, after weeks of relatively ZERO activity on the board, I come back yesterday and in the first thread I read you're talking about how Valarie can leave and take Adam with her. Seriously. If you're so fucking terrified of being picked on by me, wouldn't it make sense not to be calling me out? You're like the kid everyone picked on in school, standing in the middle of the playground, yelling out the bully's name. You like people to feel sorry for you. Every time Valarie makes an effort to leave you alone, you start taking your own jabs at her. I've seen it. And for some reason, nobody else wants to acknowledge it. You want to be the fragile little flower that always gets stepped on so people will stick up for you, and soon as you're not getting stepped on, you're jumping under people's boots.
    Nobody hates you as much as you want everyone to think we do.
    Let it go, please.

I seem to be changing my sig a lot here recently. That's probably a good sign.

Hey. here's some irony. this thread was started by Pineapple Pete.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adamnikyo View Post
    Amy - Why are you so afraid of people on a message board?
    I remember talking to you in the old chat way back when, and you said you were afraid of me - that you thought I was mean. I told you I wasn't. I told you I'm actually pretty nice, and that everything I say on this message board was exaggerated and that if you were ever the one getting the brunt of it, remember that I was JOKING and not to take it personal. It wasn't long after that you were crying about something I said to you, and in turn, I probably said something meaner just to get a reaction out of you. Then you wouldn't let it go! You still won't let it go! How long has it been? You're still going on and on about how so and so hates you and blah blah blah the virtual message board is this scary place where you have to watch your back all the time.
    Get over yourself! You've obviously made quite a few friends here - people who have no problem coming to your defense when they think it's necessary. Yet, after weeks of relatively ZERO activity on the board, I come back yesterday and in the first thread I read you're talking about how Valarie can leave and take Adam with her. Seriously. If you're so fucking terrified of being picked on by me, wouldn't it make sense not to be calling me out? You're like the kid everyone picked on in school, standing in the middle of the playground, yelling out the bully's name. You like people to feel sorry for you. Every time Valarie makes an effort to leave you alone, you start taking your own jabs at her. I've seen it. And for some reason, nobody else wants to acknowledge it. You want to be the fragile little flower that always gets stepped on so people will stick up for you, and soon as you're not getting stepped on, you're jumping under people's boots.
    Nobody hates you as much as you want everyone to think we do.
    Let it go, please.
    tl;dr. Shut up.

E

I dunno, adam. Your style always seemed really hateful to me. If what you said is the way it is, then I'm more than happy to "let it go."

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey. here's some irony. this thread was started by Pineapple Pete.
    I noticed that myself. Sweet irony!
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

i'm glad my name is being mentioned but...how is that ironic? is it cuz im a noob? explicame porfavor (explain to me please)

Pineapple Pete, we're still trying to figure out who you ARE. Who ARE you?

who who, who who

Quote Originally Posted by PineapplePete View Post
    who who, who who
    won't you tell me who are you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

I really wanna know
    Oh, I really wanna know

stop. Now.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Banned

Pineapple Pete is a terrorist.

E

here i am...or so says google

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    Pineapple Pete is a terrorist.

E
    prove it

Headwear Fo Ya Backside chrislasf's Avatar

So when Chris waltzes back in here, and says, "ARR, I'm taking back the board!!" I'm gonna get a little scared.
    Why you gotta make me sound like a pirate?

You give me too much credit. The board is not anyones to own. Hyperbole, bitches. If I say things like "we're coming back to take what is ours, blah blah blah," it's figurative.

Someone yesterday touched on something really important that I think is a big part of the changes the board has gone through recently. The inability of people to tell the difference between ball breaking and malice. I have rarely if ever come on this board to hurt someones feelings. I break a lot of balls. A lot of people on here used to do it. People need to stop getting all butt hurt. Actually no they dont, I dont have the right to tell anyone how to feel about things. They can complain all they want, they just wont get any sympathy from me.
    I like it. It's not my favorite shit in the world, but it's a smart, funny show.

P.S. I'm gay

someday these will be looked back on as the "classic chrislasf lectures" with a mix of reverence and awe. You can say, you were there when it happened. you were there and you saw it. This is history!

I think the point is a lot of us thought it was fun/funny when we could all make fun of one another without anyone getting all hurt. That's how it was forever.