Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: EDC Las Vegas 2013

Default Re: EDC Las Vegas 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    The surprise guest for saturday night closing spot on the Kinetic Field IS Headhunterz. Uh... hardstyle on the Kinetic field? That stage will empty out real quick.
    I went to showtek a couple years ago. There was a pretty good sized crowd
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

In need of a shuttle pass please message me if you have one! My gf just got her ticket but we need one shuttle pass, looking to pay 90. Hmu aleenarobbins@yahoo.com ill be at the Las Vegas Hilton but can meet anywhere on strip! Thanks plur

Reporter's Notebook: Electric Daisy Carnival proves EDM fests need fresh moves

With a lot of venues and fests making EDM available to Southern Californians all year round, the acts at Las Vegas' fest aren't new and exciting. Dance festivals need another approach to stay relevant.

As long as there has been electronic dance music, there has been at least one dumb complaint about it that all the music sounds the same.

That's a tedious line, one usually said by rock snobs who proudly admit they don't listen to the stuff. But this year, they have a point as least as far as dance music festivals go in Southern California and Las Vegas. The latter is the home of this weekend's Electric Daisy Carnival, the main event for the L.A. promotion firm Insomniac.

Looking at this year's sold-out EDC bill, it's clear there has never been a better time to be a dance music fan in America, and Southern California in particular. But that embarrassment of riches has had a curious effect on the year's marquee dance event.

EDC's comprehensive collection of 2013 dance music acts is oddly lacking in drop-everything-and-get-to-Vegas-now sets.

The problem isn't that the top-tier artists headlining and supporting at this weekend's Electric Daisy Carnival all sound similar to each other. They in fact represent a wide range: pop-friendly stadium titans such as Avicii and Tiesto, bleary minimalists such as Jamie Jones, dub step acts meant for crushing energy drink cans on your forehead.

The issue is that we've seen most of these acts recently or are about to see them again very soon.

As headliners go, Tiesto headlined Staples in March, Avicii played Vanguard (now Create, another Insomniac-booked club) in February after a three-night Santa Monica stand in September, and Calvin Harris did the Hollywood Palladium in April. Dog Blood headlined Coachella's dance tent this year, and will headline HARD Summer again in August.

The undercard? Arty, Madeon and Rebecca & Fiona played Insomniac's own Exchange LA earlier this year; Eric Prydz, Jamie Jones and Richie Hawtin played major Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival sets just a few months ago. Claude von Stroke and his great Dirtybird house crew have a whole tent at the upcoming HARD Summer; and Skrillex's OWSLA label had their own with Alvin Risk and Dillon Francis at last year's version of the same. Knife Party, Tommy Trash and Major Lazer topped the bill at HARD's Day of the Dead last fall.

There are a few left-field surprises, like Chicago house vet Green Velvet and synth-pop act La Roux but not quite enough to make up for what's all-too-familiar at this point.

One reason Electric Daisy is in this tough spot is that over the last few years, concert promoters have been in an electronic dance music arms race. New venues seem to open every few months; major firms like Live Nation are buying up stakes in indie promoters like HARD and Insomniac; EDM's biggest acts are playing arenas like Staples Center, and L.A.'s downtown warehouse scene is just sopping with essential underground club nights.

This is more of a sign of a healthy L.A. night life ecosystem than any malaise in the genre or at Electric Daisy. But it does leave the fest with a weird task. What if being the biggest and the best fest of its scale isn't synonymous with being exciting anymore? What if the saturation of EDM options in L.A. (and Vegas) has done the same thing to dance music that the Internet has done to pop culture in general: make everything too available all at once, all the time, to everyone?

At last year's EDMBiz, a dance-music conference a few days before Electric Daisy, Insomniac founder Pasquale Rotella suggested that he's losing interest in mega-bills of superstars, and wants to plow more of that money into the dizzying lights and installation art at Electric Daisy. Coachella took a similar tactic this year, dialing back on arena-fillers but revamping the Sahara Tent and introducing a new, incredibly popular Yuma tent for underground acts.

EDC will need it, and maybe soon. Dance fests have a tougher time booking holy-cow sets than rock and generalist fests do (it's hard to break up a band and reunite years later at Coachella when the "band" is just you behind turntables). The preponderance of venues and fests in L.A. means you'll see potential new superstars come through town more often than your family, thus losing their novelty.

Electronic dance music won't be at the vanguard of U.S. pop culture forever. The decisions promoters make now about how to present new stars in must-see ways will determine if the genre will be a perpetually relevant part of American night life, or a shorthand for that crazy Obama-era time when kids wore rimless sunglasses and neon bikinis to a racetrack rave in Las Vegas.

Now that we're several years into an American EDM boom, it's high time to ask the same questions that Europe did 20 years ago when it was facing the same issues. Any DJ worth his salt will have surprises at each new set. But if we're going to treat DJs like rock stars, dance festivals have to deliver something singular and essential every time, if only to prove that this rich strain of music doesn't all sound the same.

august.brown@latimes.com
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Good article.

Quote Originally Posted by ElBlueblazer View Post
    I was stuck for over 3 hours on the 1st night of last year. Im leaving early to avoid that clusterfuck.
    What time did you leave and when are you looking to leave this time?

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Wow, they really shit the bed on the lineup this year....

There is a small handful of decent talent, which if all put together for a single show would cost 50$.

Why are people going to this?

To completely confuse you and / or piss you off deliberately.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Nobody has ever given a single fuck about anything you've ever had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    That was Daft Punk, you stupid retarded mongoloid mother fuckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    Win even thanked them again towards the end. Just because you trifling bitches weren't there ...

This guy I know who is going to EDC for his second straight year made it sound like he was going mainly because of all the scantily clad girls than for the music.

Well, room booked, and I'm talking to a couple sellers. We'll see what happens.

What's wrong with being curious and able to check it out?

When I went to it in 2011 it was a really good festival. Really good. Why shouldn't he go? Although the lineup is not as strong this year.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

God, I feel so uncool for not going to EDC this weekend, mainly because I haven't been keeping up to date with some of these dj's. There are still a hand full of names I recognize though.

Last time I went to EDC it was in 2010, the last time it was held in LA. Just a 15 minute drive, that's all it took, sucks I'm broke, or else I'd go to Vegas.

Perhaps I'll go next year, hopefully the economy will be better and I'll be working 40 hours a week.

Have fun to whoever goes!

You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.
    sigged
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post

I'm still not entirely sure what to expect at the Night Owl experience. My group has downloaded the app, we show up, then something cool happens?
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    sigged
    Word.

EDC was fucking amazing this year. The fantastic design of the mainstage that opted for something more artful instead of just increasing the LED screen size year to year. The huge blacklights that turned the kinetic field neon like an indoor club. Insomniac's decision to put more popular acts like Jack Beats on the Cosmic Meadow Sunday and to break up the trance stages to mix up the genres at each stage and expose a lot of people to non-cheese EDM. Losing my shit at Richie Hawtin on the mainstage during his climactic ending. The lowering circuit ground lights. The solid schedule that only left me bored for about an hour the entire weekend, that doesn't peak with headliners the end of the night but instead is non-stop big acts. Getting a surge of energy from listening to Booka Shade late in the night. Watching the sun come up behind us during Markus Schultz's saturday set and seeing everyone's faces light up.

All of you idiots bitching are fucktards. Aren't all of djs on the Neon Garden stage the ones that you worship endlessly, and yet you still complain about the lineup? Pete Tong, Sasha, Richie Hawtin, Carl Cox, John Digweed, Adam Beyer fucking killed it, who the fuck else would you like to be there? The food sucked and the night owl experience was a bit lame. Everything else was fucking top notch.

If I had to pick, this is the first time I would now choose EDC over Coachella. I'll take mainstage techno over waiting 30 minutes to see someone in a fucking tiny cramped smokey nightclub. Thank you so much Insomniac, it was exhausting but I'll definitely be back next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

the partnership with Live Nation really allowed Insomniac to take the festival to new heights this year. They completely ripped off Tomorrowland w/ the stage design, but that's fine, they pulled it off. the festival ran as smooth as possible this year, it was very impressive. The lineup still leaves a bit to be desired for me, but overall i thought this year was top notch stuff.

How many people died this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

I had the best time this weekend. Everything went smoothly. Insomniac did an excellent job this year.
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

It really was fantastic. The production values are off the chart. Did anybody else get a pair of those prism glasses they were handing out? They made the visuals almost too much to handle!! The weather was also perfect the entire weekend.

Top 5-
    1) Knife Party (Sunday)
    2) Laidback Luke
    3) Dillon Francis
    4) Ritchie Hawtin
    5) Porter Robinson

Hm- Dog Blood, Eric Prydz, Jaime Jones
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2)

I had a blast. Definitely was a huge step up from last year.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    How many people died this year?

"Officers reported 49 felony arrests at the electronic dance music festival that ran during the nights and wrapped up at 5:30 a.m. Monday. Authorities said there were more than 600 calls for medical help, but only a handful of hospitalizations and no known deaths as of closing time, according to Las Vegas Police Officer Larry Hadfield."

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/jun/...-in-las-vegas/

For those that were questioning the amount of space, Insomniac increased the amount of square footage for the entire festival. The stages were adequately spread out and the port-a-potties were spread out so that each stage had a bank of potties relatively close to a stage, which was an upgrade from last year. The traffic situation was better and I think that they took ques from NASCAR in the traffic situation. I'm curious about how the shuttle system worked in comparison to last year. I know that they went through suburbs which expidited the going to and from the festival. But I'd like to know if the boarding process is close to the way the Coachella shuttles work. I went to the 2007 LA EDC, last year, and this year. You can definately appreciate the changes and I'll definately be going next year.

Quote Originally Posted by seitron View Post

All of you idiots bitching are fucktards. Aren't all of djs on the Neon Garden stage the ones that you worship endlessly, and yet you still complain about the lineup? Pete Tong, Sasha, Richie Hawtin, Carl Cox, John Digweed, Adam Beyer fucking killed it, who the fuck else would you like to be there? The food sucked and the night owl experience was a bit lame. Everything else was fucking top notch.

If I had to pick, this is the first time I would now choose EDC over Coachella. I'll take mainstage techno over waiting 30 minutes to see someone in a fucking tiny cramped smokey nightclub. Thank you so much Insomniac, it was exhausting but I'll definitely be back next year.
    You do realize that the names you listed were all at the top of their game in the 90's? Are they all solid DJ's, yes, are they they best contemporary DJ's on the planet, fuck no. I walked away from both Digweed and Hawtin pretty fast at DEMF this year. I like how you just assume every oldschool fan of EDM gratefully pays 400$ to watch a very standard house or techno set by an oldschool legend. No son, I could catch any of these guys a dozen times a year, on the cheap. You payed at least 150$ for all of the heavyweight cheese house, dubstep and trance, how was it? Just because I say that a lineup is crap doesn't mean it is devoid of talent. It means that it is stacked with garbage.

I can see you are on the verge of migrating from shit EDM to solid EDM. Why don't you spend some time seeing a wide diversity of underground music and then let me know if you still think EDC is the greatest festival in the world. Or maybe you only get out twice a year. In that case enjoy your amazing festival experience!
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Maybe there are people you don't want invading your underground scene, though. And maybe there are people that don't care to explore their EDM enjoyment beyond what they already know and are comfortable with. Certainly Insomniac will continue to provide pricey large scale production, massive crowds, and "not-underground-but-underground-enough" artists that satiate those people.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-25-2013 at 11:16 AM.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Comparing EDC, Coachella, and DEMF in any capacity is a pretty stupid and futile exercise in and of itself.

EDC was absolutely incredible. If anybody finds any recordings, please share them.

1. ...................::::::::::::::::::::::::::SASHA :::::::::::::::................................
    2. Jamie Jones
    3. Adam Beyer
    4. Booka Shade
    5. Art Department

Let's take nickO, for instance. He's slobbered over EDC and every Insomniac event for years now. Then he went to Detroit and no one on the boards has heard from him since -- the only logical explanation being that he's removed himself from the internet to travel through other worldly techno hotspots, reflecting upon the error of his ways, and steeped in deep remorse and shame for being so utterly narrow minded.

Quote Originally Posted by crombrenner View Post
    Top 5-
    1) Knife Party (Sunday)
    That second to last track they played, where it started out as reggae and turned into to dubstep had the crowd going bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    This sounds like a job for robots...