Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 484950515253545556 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1679

Thread: FYF Fest 2013

Default Re: FYF Fest 2013

They did so something about the dirt, at least on the Carrie stage. This is the best year it has been for that issue.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Have things changed quite a bit since Goldenvoice became involved? Seems like Coachella style improvements, adjustments on the fly like the ports potty situation from sat. to sun., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    And I'm seriously surprised that the people on here aren't gushing over Flume.
    i probably would be if i decided to fight the squish into the tent. it was the most packed i'd seen the tent all weekend and i just didnt want to deal at that point in the day. watched from the side though and was quite impressed, looked like alot of fun in there. pretty much a shoe-in for coachella next year i'd think

did anyone else check out the comedy sets? i think saturday was a much stronger lineup but sunday had it's moments here and there. ron funches telling those girls to shut the fuck up was definitely a high point. i hope that shows up on youtube later
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Have things changed quite a bit since Goldenvoice became involved? Seems like Coachella style improvements, adjustments on the fly like the ports potty situation from sat. to sun., etc.
    Well yeah, that was the whole point. Sean handles the music and GV handles everything else basically. It's night and day.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    i probably would be if i decided to fight the squish into the tent. it was the most packed i'd seen the tent all weekend and i just didnt want to deal at that point in the day. watched from the side though and was quite impressed, looked like alot of fun in there. pretty much a shoe-in for coachella next year i'd think

did anyone else check out the comedy sets? i think saturday was a much stronger lineup but sunday had it's moments here and there. ron funches telling those girls to shut the fuck up was definitely a high point. i hope that shows up on youtube later
    I only went to the Sunday comedy. Matt Dwyer's set was almost verbatim from last year, but still funny. Funchess and Fairbanks ("Daddy needs to go number 3") were very good and I liked the Scheer/Huebel bit, especially when Scheer riffed about FY"E". The last woman was neither understandable nor funny.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    I only went to the Sunday comedy. Matt Dwyer's set was almost verbatim from last year, but still funny. Funchess and Fairbanks ("Daddy needs to go number 3") were very good and I liked the Scheer/Huebel bit, especially when Scheer riffed about FY"E". The last woman was neither understandable nor funny.
    yea i felt bad for her (as i walked out with everyone else) but she was a poor choice to finish off the comedy slot. kinda bummed i missed brendon small on saturday. i only know him as the dude from dethklok and metalocalypse so i was curious to see what he would do outside of that box
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

What a beautiful weekend. Sunny during the day and a breezy chill at night.

I need to remember to add money to my tap card going into the park; two fucking machines and 4 MTA employees waving you in as the next customer wasn’t helping things along.

You see shoes, hats and sunglasses all over the place. I’ve always wondered how stupid or high you had to be to lose an item of clothing at a festival. I entered the park mildly drunk Saturday afternoon and went to pick up a MBV t-shirt in 4XL, which is rare. A few hours later, I realize the long sleeve shirt I came in with was missing. I've taken it to almost every concert over the past 4 years and had no idea where it fell. I went back to the merch booth and they had nothing, then I notice the lost and found. I describe the shirt to the girl and she walks to this big ass blue tub in starts searching. She pulls the motherfucker shirt out! ~ So awesome.

No problem with the crowds, with the exception of Flume. That tent was insane. People were being pushy because they wanted to be on that floor, but not totally being assholes like chaining their arms together to get through.

The choice of tent used for the Samantha tent sucked. They reminded me of the old Coachella tents; 2 entrances on each side, and a rear entrance. Today’s Coachella tents are not covered whatsoever and you can view the stage and performer without even having to walk in. There was a hill at the back, but people walking back and forth made than option impossible.

The police may want to avoid walking around with a pink wristband. I would have never noticed them had they not been wearing them. We’re talking real pink.

The beer lines were deep all weekend long. It did not matter the day of time. That Budweiser strawberry concoction was pretty fucking tasty.

It was hit and miss with the restrooms. Sometimes there were only 6 people waiting, sometimes I was waiting 15 minutes, not including having to walk back to the entrance to use those, then walk back to the Carrie stage.

FYF, rather than giving away a one sided bandana, how about charging 3.00 bucks for a 2 sided one?

There were so many beautiful girls of every age, shape, and sultriness. Serious stunners that made you lose your train of thought or take the wind out of you. This fat guy in a wheelchair would have loved to rub coco butter on each and every one of you!

Speaking of which, friends had to pull me, in reverse, out of the bar area on the right hand side of the Carrie stage due to all of the chip and no clear path for my rig.

It sucked for MBV. Knowing what perfectionists they are, it was quite professional of them to take the whole thing in stride. When he said, "It wasn't us", I believed him. Note. You little bastards all around me talking about MBV. No it was not "so loud" yesterday. Had they cranked that shit up like I thought they would, I would have put on a pair of earplugs and watch droves of people quickly walking away from the stage with their palms on their ears.

Here's how it panned out for me.

Saturday
    Charles Bradley > Toro Y Moi > Devendra Banhart > Deerhunter > TV On The Radio > Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sunday
    Kurt Vile > Yo La Tengo > Flume > Shlohmo > Les Savy Fav > Omar Souleyman > My Bloody Valentine

Saturday ranking
    Deerhunter
    TV On The Radio
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Devendra Banhart
    Charles Bradley
    Toro Y Moi

Sunday ranking
    Flume
    Yo La Tengo
    Omar Souleyman
    My Bloody Valentine
    Shlohmo
    Les Savy Fav
    Kurt Vile

Weekend Ranking
    Deerhunter
    Flume
    TV On The Radio
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Yo La Tengo
    Devendra Banhart
    Omar Souleyman
    My Bloody Valentine
    Charles Bradley
    Shlohmo
    Toro Y Moi
    Les Savy Fav
    Kurt Vile
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I was blown away when Yo La Tengo did "I'll Be Around." It got so quiet, the sun was getting ready to go down, and time stood still. And then ending with "Blue Line Swinger" never fails. Amazing artists!

Unfortunately, the comedy wasn't all that great. It was really stacked last year; however, Ron Funches killed it.

Great weekend!
    Mazxy star was nice and dreamy robightm crowd wouldn't follow no photo request. First time in the green room. Mmm free beer and wine.glad I got to see them Cruz I missed Coachella 3012

fatbastard, seriously, another festival without introducing yourself or meeting up? :P

I agree MBV was not "that loud." At the start of the set, I didn't really need earplugs (I put them in expecting it to get louder), and it seemed like it was not at all as loud after the sound issues. Though for an outdoor festival, I'm not sure they are really able to reach the volume of their indoor venue shows. I didn't think the Coachella set was "that loud" either, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I agree MBV was not "that loud." At the start of the set, I didn't really need earplugs (I put them in expecting it to get louder), and it seemed like it was not at all as loud after the sound issues. Though for an outdoor festival, I'm not sure they are really able to reach the volume of their indoor venue shows. I didn't think the Coachella set was "that loud" either, FWIW.
    I didn't think their Coachella set was "that loud" either. At least not from where I was. I kinda figured it would be the same at FYF. The indoor show I saw a few weeks ago though was definitely fucking loud. Even with ear plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

MBV's Coachella set created a sound like a jet landing during the Holocaust. But it definitely mattered where you were located. Beer tent between the Outdoor/Main? It would not have been that way. Last night though, there wasn't anywhere it was like that. The sound system was blown. And the Holocaust only lasted for about 3-4 minutes because they knew it wouldn't happen. Also, there were literally no vocals in the mains after the 5 minute break. None.

I'm not down on their performance last night. But it suffered greatly because of sound issues. I genuinely appreciate what the band did turn in. They're pretty special and last night solidified it. I'm just hoping for another shot to see them... soon!
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Pretty sure I enjoyed this year more than last, when I only went Saturday. Marked improvements i.e. better stage placement, increased food options, perhaps more water refill stations.

Saturday
    Missed Lemuria and Crystal Antlers. METZ was a nice way to start, lots of energy. My introduction to Ty Segall was positive with a decent spot in front of the stage. I understand his latest stuff is more stripped down (?) but I was really feeling the setup, especially the minimalist drummer/lead guitarist. Charles Bradley doesn't really bring anything new to the table but what I saw was incredibly entertaining. My dad would definitely get a kick out of seeing him. Joyce Manor was meh, Toro y Moi had the crowd moving, and I was glad to catch the first few songs from the Breeders. Met up with a friend during Classixx, who I was looking forward to but we were near the back of the tent and I didn't feel a whole lot of energy. Caught a couple songs of Devendra - pleasant - before The Locust, one of the day's biggest highlights. I figured I'd get annoyed after 5 minutes but I ended up staying the whole set. The intricacy in playing such controlled chaos was something else. Especially the drummer. Stood in line for 40 minutes for woodfired pizza and saw the start of Thee Oh Sees - not bad. Because of the line I wasn't able to really check out Dan Deacon (who seemed to be having tech issues) or Nosaj Thing, which looked like a good time. I was glad to see TV on the Radio after not going to Saturday of Coachella '09. They had a lot more energy than I expected and played quite a few songs I knew, but I missed "Staring at the Sun" and "Wolf Like Me" so I could go see FLAG. Man, crisscrossing from Carrie to Miranda is not fun. But FLAG killed it - 1000x better than the shit show I saw with Greg Ginn in July. I also think the Yeah Yeah Yeahs might have had a better set than at Coachella. Don't recall them playing "Phenomena" and certainly not "Date With The Night." Death Grips were insane, and I watched them longer than I did at Coachella. Zach Hill is a madman. The whole thing is just nuts.

Sunday
    I think this was my favorite day. Arrived in time to catch The Orwells - fun - and Chelsea Wolfe's entire set. That had to be one of my favorites the entire weekend; can't imagine a huge audience for such a brooding style but I hope GV gets her for Coachella next year. It's cheesy but when she raised her arms and her dress made her look like Batwoman...that was nuts. Anyway, hypnotizing stuff. Skipped Poolside cuz I saw them at Pacific Fest last year. I only saw Kurt Vile for a short time at Coachella but his set was much more energetic here and I liked it a lot. Only caught the beginning of Touche Amore since I'll be seeing them with AFI in October. No Age is nothing new for most of you but I got a great spot almost near the rail and really enjoyed everything past the first song (the one without drums). Super primal. Yo La Tengo seemed a little out of place honestly, and there was a ton of talking to the right of the soundboard during one of their quieter numbers. After all the buzz I had to catch Baroness and ended up staying for the whole set. As I mentioned above it's very hooky and honestly not that far removed from the "modern rock" template that they may wind up getting sucked into depending on what choices they make. Watched about half of Beach House - liked it a lot, nice visuals - then crossed back for The Melvins, who I also had little exposure to but was very impressed. Much less eccentric than I expected. And two drummers! Washed Out was a lot poppier/dancier than I expected based on a couple songs I heard a while back. I expected MGMT to be a snooze but secretly hoped it was awesome and, well, it was pretty awesome. The visuals alone were hilarious - bad 90's computer animation - the new songs sounded solid, the Fonz came out to play a giant cowbell, they played "the hits" (though I would have preferred "The Youth" or "Congratulations" over "Kids")....honestly, I thought it was one of the better main stage sets. So they don't move around very much...not a dealbreaker. Maybe this was a rare "on" night. People were loving Solange though it seemed like a bit of a left-field booking. My Bloody Valentine was monstrous and it didn't really gel for me until the second song, which is also probably my favorite. I ended up moving back a bit and it was still pretty loud (no earplugs). After the sound cut out during "Only Shallow" I left for Holy Ghost! which was another big highlight for me. Great way to end the night.

^Agreed on Chelsea Wolfe. She was fantastic! I thought the bat-woman/wings thing worked, maybe just not in broad daylight. But I'm still getting a little tingly thinking about her raising her arms. Anyway, good reviews all in all. Thanks

sweet! thanks

You guys are fucking insane if you don't think MBV was that loud. I never ever ever ever (am getting back together) wear ear plugs and I was losing my mind. I tried walking back 100 feet and I still couldn't believe how loud it was.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    You guys are fucking insane if you don't think MBV was that loud. I never ever ever ever (am getting back together) wear ear plugs and I was losing my mind. I tried walking back 100 feet and I still couldn't believe how loud it was.
    Like sonnyboy said, it all depends on where you were. We were off to the left of the soundboard and up a bit, and it really wasn't that loud.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Chelsea Wolfe with Anna Calvi at UCLA come November is gonna be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I was near lost and found during the first three songs of MBV and I couldn't hear a word anyone was saying.

And yet I noticed I could clearly hear every conversation around me during their set. And that, among other factors like moving to different locations, was a tip off it was not especially loud. I am deeply saddened that the elder here has better hearing than some of you whipper-snappers! Now please excuse me- someone's ringing the doorbell again for the hundredth time today.

1. Mac Demarco
    2. The Locust
    3. My Bloody Valentine
    4. FLAG
    5. Joyce Manor

It was hard to narrow down the list because I was happy with pretty much everything I saw. The later start time was nice but made for a condensed schedule, I barely had time to eat or rest and was pretty much dead by the end of the weekend.

I thought My Bloody Valentine lived up to all the hype and from where I was standing it was insanely loud. Their sound issues bummed me out, I feel like if you book My Bloody Valentine as your festival headliner then you better have a PA/sound crew that can handle them, but they were able to rise above it and put on a fantastic set.

The biggest surprise was Solange. Her set ended up being as big of a dance party as anything I saw in the tent and she was absolutely on point. I only ended up at her set because Omar Soulyman was 20 min late, which was probably my biggest disappointment.

Other great acts that could have made my list were Charles Bradley, Kurt Vile, Waxahatchee, Flume, and Death Grips.

I saw a ton of boardies walking around and watching sets, one of these days I'll get around to introducing myself. Overall it was a great festival, if they keep putting out a product this good I will continue to take the annual road trip.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Saturday I caught Charles Bradley, Toro Y Moi, Devandra Banhart, Dan Deacon, Nosaj Thing, Deerhunter. Bicep/Simian Mobile Disco. Sunday I caught Baroness, Beach House, Washed Out, Solange and Holy Ghost. Overall every set I saw was top shelf - the old favorites didn't disappoint and I was pleasantly surprised by some of the new stuff I wasn't as familiar with. If I was forced to rank them my top five would probably look something like this:

1) Beach House
    2) Holy Ghost
    3) Simian Mobile Disco
    4) Deerhunter
    5) Charles Bradley

I wish I could have seen more of Baroness and Washed Out and if I could do it again I definitely would have been at Les Savy Fav although I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed Solange. This festival has vastly improved since I went in 2010 and I imagine I'll go every year they have it.

First FYF for me and this year's lineup did not disappoint.

Add me to the list of walkaways because of MBV's sound issues. I got to catch Omar Souleman's last two numbers and most of Holy Ghost so I ended my West coast stay a happy, dancing fool.

Top Fives:

Saturday 1. TV on the Radio 2. Thee Oh Sees 3. Breeders 4. Ty Segall 5. YeahYeahYeahs (hon mention - Eleanor Freidberger)

Sunday: 1. Baroness 2. Kurt Vile 3. Beach House 4. MGMT 5. The Orwells (hon mention: Glasser)

Biggest Surprise: MGMT's set was pretty freaking great (c/w their Coachella set) and considerang all the word of mouth reports on how uninspired they perform.

Best Food: Texas Toast Grilled Cheese Portobello sandwich in the middle VIP section off a food truck.

Fun reconnecting on Sunday with folks and meeting some new faces. Scrumptious Bloodies. Great call, Andrew (or Heather?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Check out the first EP. It was my jam for awhile. If they still have the same lineup, the organist/keyboard player goes by the incredible name of Sexual Chocolate.
    Last year when I saw them at Echoplex, Damian was still in the band. He's a great dude!

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I have to add my "me too" regarding the good crowds. Coming off the heels of Outside Lands and its apathetic crowds with no courtesy or self-awareness, I wasn't sure I really wanted to go to another festival so soon, but the crowds were good at everything I saw. There were for sure douchebags here and there, but it was isolated instances with individuals (which can probably be chalked up to being too drunk/fucked up), NOT dealing with a crowd full of bad behavior. It seemed like most of the audience were serious about show-going, ie, almost no talking during sets, people were familiar with the acts and their music, and were very in the moment (lots of people dancing along, not that many people on phones, etc). Really, this is a different experience than almost any other LA area show I've gone to. There were even a few locals who struck up conversations with me, along the lines of, "See? Not everyone from LA is awful."
    I enjoyed the crowd at FYF last year. There will always be douchebags at shows/festivals! You either walk away from it or stand there pissed off. What you said kinda reminded me about NPR article they posted yesterday: Where Do You Stand To See Shows?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...d-to-see-shows

ps More pics from Day 2. Did Chelsea have a band or was it a solo set? I can't tell from the pictures...

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive..._2013_d_1.html

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

She definitely had a band. I think a guitarist, drummer, and maybe keyboardist?

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    MBV's Coachella set created a sound like a jet landing during the Holocaust. But it definitely mattered where you were located.

I can confirm - we ran to the far side of the Sahara and it still sounded louder than Challanger Spaceship launching and then exploding into pieces. We really couldn't escape the sound. I love that they had sound issues. Ha!
    Idol snake, get out of that skin.

I had a blast this past weekend. Glad they got the bathroom line issue sorted out by Sunday, but luckily I didn't have to wait terribly long on Saturday. As for the park itself, I think Bryan had it right when he said that it just needs time to recuperate from all these festivals and events; maybe they can put in synthetic grass if they still want to keep using it for concerts/festivals? I liked the new layout for the main stage, but I think I liked it better when the Charlotte Stage was facing the other way. As for the music, top five are:

1. Horse Meat Disco
    2. Yo La Tengo
    3. Death Grips
    4. The Locust
    5. The Melvins
    HM: Les Savy Fav, Thee Oh Sees, Jonathan Richman, Mac DeMarco, Pional

As for MBV I felt like the set really never recovered after the first outage and, while the band did their best, I was left quite disappointed as this was the set I was looking forward to the most all weekend. By the last song or two you couldn't hear any of the vocals, and I'd say the volume was maybe 60-70% of what it should have been. Hopefully they'll come back later this year or next.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    I can confirm - we ran to the far side of the Sahara and it still sounded louder than Challanger Spaceship launching and then exploding into pieces. We really couldn't escape the sound. I love that they had sound issues. Ha!
    I was going to give you shit for comparing the sound to the Challenger blowing up, but then I realized that the thing is already referred to as the holocaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    She definitely had a band. I think a guitarist, drummer, and maybe keyboardist?
    haha wow, yeah, those pictures are lame. There were at least 3-4 other people on stage.
    last.fm